Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 100

Post by Amir » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:46 am

Just imagine Higashdie corrected by Takahashi.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:42 am

Amir wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:
pacz360 wrote:So how good can we expect the action to be in the weeks episode
With the best regular animation supervisor and key animator, as well as the best regular episode director, those titles going to Naoki Tate and Masato Mitsuka, you can at least expect the action to be noteworthy.
Did you just say Tate is the best ki animator in Super?
Better than Higashide, Nikaido and Karasawa? No way. He is the 4th fiddle.
Tate far outclasses all those animators by a pretty decent margin. It really isn't that absurd a claim either. He has the highest amount of noteable cuts to his name, and his best work is better than the best work of those animators you've mentioned(as much as I love Highashides UI cut, I would still say its second to Tates, if only by a small margin).

For reference I wouldn't even Karasawa a candidate for best regular key animator on the show, at this point, I would say, Tu, Miuma and Manabe are far stronger than him in terms of output.

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:35 am

JazzMazz wrote:
Amir wrote:
JazzMazz wrote: With the best regular animation supervisor and key animator, as well as the best regular episode director, those titles going to Naoki Tate and Masato Mitsuka, you can at least expect the action to be noteworthy.
Did you just say Tate is the best ki animator in Super?
Better than Higashide, Nikaido and Karasawa? No way. He is the 4th fiddle.
Tate far outclasses all those animators by a pretty decent margin. It really isn't that absurd a claim either. He has the highest amount of noteable cuts to his name, and his best work is better than the best work of those animators you've mentioned(as much as I love Highashides UI cut, I would still say its second to Tates, if only by a small margin).

For reference I wouldn't even Karasawa a candidate for best regular key animator on the show, at this point, I would say, Tu, Miuma and Manabe are far stronger than him in terms of output.
He only has one cut that can be compared to Higashdie's cut in episode 116, (his 110 cuts) but still nowhere near as good and nowhere near as varied. A lot of his work in this show is heavily flawed and meme worthy. No way he is better than Higashide, his effects are far better without a question, his choreography, pacing and dynamics are far superior, his movements are more complex and still smooth and better looking, so are things like rotations and camera movements, so is the art obviously, because the charactes soemtimes look like they have no volume when they move and they are made of paper. Even his 110 cut was 50% + looped frames and the movements weren't that complex compared to what Higashdie usually does in Super. How can it compare to Higashdie's lovely effects in episode 116, the movements of Goku dodging and camera movements. All of his cuts besides the one in 110 are below Karasawa's episode 61 cut.

I still haven't seen Tate animating consistent fast paced martial arts action and great effects. (Like Nikaido's cut in episode 109 and the gods of destruction fighting) It's usually a few movements with anticipation and slow motion + mediocre effects and then most of the cut is looped frames and sub par art and very unpolished. He never makes consistent action, there are always breaks in his animation and very little going on. One reason his cut looked as good as it did in ep110 is because he was corrected by Yamamuro so the art was decent.

iAnimationLover_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by iAnimationLover_ » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:26 am

Lets not forget that opinions exist. For example "Tate is in my top 5 animators working on Super." You really dont need to go "omg no tate is horrible how dare you prefer him over this other animator whomst I think is much better!"
You yourself just said an opinion.
opinions.. they exist! I swear!

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:37 am

iAnimationLover_ wrote:Lets not forget that opinions exist. For example "Tate is in my top 5 animators working on Super." You really dont need to go "omg no tate is horrible how dare you prefer him over this other animator whomst I think is much better!"
He said he far outclassed Higashdie and Nikaido which is mind boggling to me considering the obvious flaws and controversies in his work, opinions or not. I also think he is one of the best in Super but not the best.

iAnimationLover_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by iAnimationLover_ » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:53 am

Amir wrote:
iAnimationLover_ wrote:Lets not forget that opinions exist. For example "Tate is in my top 5 animators working on Super." You really dont need to go "omg no tate is horrible how dare you prefer him over this other animator whomst I think is much better!"
He said he far outclassed Higashdie and Nikaido which is mind boggling to me considering the obvious flaws and controversies in his work, opinions or not. I also think he is one of the best in Super but not the best.
I see your problems with his statementsI'm omni. But I personally prefer Tate to Higashide. Thats not to say that Higashide is a bad animator, not at all. Higashide is just more than amazing for what hes done for Super, and his animation in general.
I wouldnt say Tate has obvious flaws, infact I totally love his work, and I wouldnt look at controversies when judging an animator.

But what do you think are his flaws?

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:21 am

iAnimationLover_ wrote:
Amir wrote:
I see your problems with his statementsI'm omni. But I personally prefer Tate to Higashide. Thats not to say that Higashide is a bad animator, not at all. Higashide is just more than amazing for what hes done for Super, and his animation in general.
I wouldnt say Tate has obvious flaws, infact I totally love his work, and I wouldnt look at controversies when judging an animator.

But what do you think are his flaws?
Bad art, characters have no volume when moving and sometimes look like they are made of paper (like when Goku punched 17 and 17 dodged or when Vegeta double kicked Hit), the smoke effects are sub par and the shading doesn't look good, most of his cuts contain 70% + looped frames, his action is not consistent, it's usually one or two movements with anticipation and right after there's a slow motion break, and then the action is back with looped frames. His movements can be really bad sometimes like his embarrassing cuts in ep72, he barely has variety in his movements, usually just close ups and slow motions. Usually in his cuts there is one highlight when character does some cool ass movement and the rest is standard looped frames or slow motions that barely move.

Now for things I don't like, He never makes consistent action without breaks, he never managed to anime some cool hand to hand combat movements that look good other than 110.

Only his 110 cut was really amazing and obviously one of Super's best, but the rest is not. But Higashide and Nikaido make fast paced consistent action with full of variety in the combat moves (cool movements of dodging, flashy kicks, and flips etc...) and complex movements without making the characters look like stick figures unlike Tate, quick transitons and great timing which makes everything dynamic and intense, not to mention their effects work easily puts Tate's to shame. Their camera movements and rotations are better, and overall the action is more dynamic.

Higashdie and Nikaido have no weakness, every aspect of animation is nailed and spot on on their parts, They are not Shida level or Takahashi with the incredible art and some Super awesome quality, and sure Tate has the anticipation part better and his cuts are more snappy, but snappiness is more of a style.

Razyos

Post by Razyos » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:13 pm

I just want to say I love Naoki Tate’s animation and I’m all for that loose art style. If something is 100% on model then that’s cool, but if it’s not then that’s cool too~ I honestly don’t mind, but it’s certainly refreshing getting the more loose styles every now and then :)
Spread positive vibes~ ^.^

PMD
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PMD » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:17 am

#122 will be Takahashi supervising the animation with Shida storyboarding, Vegeta vs Jiren!!!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

It's a late Christmas gift!

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:01 am

Can someone please translate the writers for the next group of episode?
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Psykomatik
Regular

Post by Psykomatik » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:22 am

120:
Scenario - Kenichi Yamashita
Animation Supervisors - Miho Tanaka & Masahiro Shimanuki
Storyboard - Kiyosato Yamamoto
Director - Hideki Hiroshima

121:
Scenario - Toshio Yoshitaka
Animation Supervisors - Yuji Hakamada & Yuichi Karasawa
Storyboard - Yoshitaka Yashima
Director - Takao Iwai

122:
Scenario - Atsuhiro Tomioka
Animation Supervisors - Hirotaka Nii & Yuya Takahashi
Storyboard - Naotoshi Shida
Director - Takahiro Imamura

Thanks to AcherdThunder!

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:54 am

Psykomatik wrote:120:

121:
Scenario - Toshio Yoshitaka
Animation Supervisors - Yuji Hakamada & Yuichi Karasawa
Storyboard - Yoshitaka Yashima
Director - Takao Iwai

122:
Scenario - Atsuhiro Tomioka
Animation Supervisors - Hirotaka Nii & Yuya Takahashi
Storyboard - Naotoshi Shida
Director - Takahiro Imamura

Thanks to AcherdThunder!
Since he was able to do half an episode plus Key animation in Part A in 3 weeks was hoping he would solo #122 but Nii's not a bad pairing, last couple of Shida's SB were great so this should be a good episode. Overall a pretty solid list and month to look forward too.

Looking increasingly likely now Tate's next turnaround is gonna be the finale of the ToP! Unless they really do drag the final fight on.
Last edited by Baggie_Saiyan on Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:04 am

Yay Karasawa is supervising

Dai-Saiyajin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dai-Saiyajin » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:33 am

Is Miho Tanaka and Chihiro Tanaka the same person ?

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:45 am

Dai-Saiyajin wrote:
Is Miho Tanaka and Chihiro Tanaka the same person ?
Different kanji, could be a typo but Wanpack also has someone by the name of Miho Tanaka so we'll just have to see.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:21 am

Shida and Takahashi on 122? Oh baby. :thumbup:

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:01 am

Can't wait for 121-122,i know those eps will have some good action.
Mostly active on discord.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:03 am

Yuya and Shida tag teaming Episode 122 has incredibly hyped. Also, the return of Karasawa is great to see. Haven't heard of Miho Tanaka before. But it's nice to see new faces.

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:51 am

Do you think Karasawa will do some actual ki animation that has action?

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:18 pm

122 sounds amazing. If this is Vegeta's finale in the ToP then that's a good way to go out.

Also who's Yamashita on 120. Never heard of them. What else have they written?
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!