Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: New movie announced for December 2018!

Post by ABED » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:01 pm

I'm less interested in Beerus' backstory than I am in his ongoing relationship with Goku and Vegeta. Some backstory is fine, but it's not what screams to me in need of exploration.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:04 pm

ABED wrote:I'm less interested in Beerus' backstory than I am in his ongoing relationship with Goku and Vegeta. Some backstory is fine, but it's not what screams to me in need of exploration.
Oh come on, don't know if you watch Super, but the show made me grow tired pretty fast about Goku and Vegeta :yawn:

And about Beerus it would be interesting because we know very little about Gods Of Destruction, we know that a mortals can become one, it's not like a Kaioshin that is already born to the function and I would like to know more about the process
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:08 pm

The character is great and it's worth exploring the character, but backstory is one way to do it, but it's overrated. I enjoy a nice flashback here and there, but what really defines a character is what they want and their actions in achieving their goal(s), not simply what happened in the past.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Sailor Haumea
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sailor Haumea » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:07 am

precita wrote:But...is it canon?
Who cares? Why does "canon" matter? Just enjoy more Toriyama goodness.
"That's right, everyone of my race can become a giant gorilla!" - Tullece (AB Groupe dub)

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:10 am

What I really want to know is how this will affect the weekly series. Did Toriyama come up with two different plots at the same time? Will the cartoon rely on non-Toriyama plot lines starting in April for three or six months to give Toriyama time to write a new storyline? How will the plot of this movie then be adapted in the weekly animated series? How will Toyo-tarou adapt the storyline, wait for it to be adapted into the cartoon?

So many, many questions yet to be answered.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:53 am

Well, I hope by the time Universal Survival arc ends and after the unbearable episodes with Goten and Trunks protecting an island, we might get a Toei original arc!

Probably something with a mist that control people, but not on Earth this time, but in the whole Multiverse! So Goku, Jiren and pals has to solve this mystery. Also this would give time for Toriyama elaborate a plot to the movie :)
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:01 am

JulieYBM wrote:What I really want to know is how this will affect the weekly series. Did Toriyama come up with two different plots at the same time? Will the cartoon rely on non-Toriyama plot lines starting in April for three or six months to give Toriyama time to write a new storyline? How will the plot of this movie then be adapted in the weekly animated series? How will Toyo-tarou adapt the storyline, wait for it to be adapted into the cartoon?

I think it's safe to assume that the plot of the movie has already been written . Maybe that's why we got another tournament arc so soon, as this format is pretty light in terms of story and he could focus on the script of the movie.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:44 am

JulieYBM wrote:What I really want to know is how this will affect the weekly series. Did Toriyama come up with two different plots at the same time? Will the cartoon rely on non-Toriyama plot lines starting in April for three or six months to give Toriyama time to write a new storyline? How will the plot of this movie then be adapted in the weekly animated series? How will Toyo-tarou adapt the storyline, wait for it to be adapted into the cartoon?

It could tie in with a future arc.. If we DO indeed get a Planet Sadala arc it will most DEFINITELY tie into that.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:32 pm

As long as this movie isn't a prequel and has the main characters in it, I think this could be even more successful than the previous movies.

The series has seen a huge boost in popularity and awareness since the last movie. Hopefully they'll heavily expand the release and like Resurrection F won't wait around too long before releasing it in other countries.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:41 pm

Grimlock wrote:And it's really weird how they are avoiding mentioning "planet Plant" even after Toriyama mentioned Tsufurujins in 2014. Hopefully the movie address it by its proper name.
I've noticed that too. I guess since the introduction of Sadala, Planet Plant and the Tuffles were forgotten

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:47 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:I've noticed that too. I guess since the introduction of Sadala, Planet Plant and the Tuffles were forgotten
I meant the name itself, they're avoiding saying "planet Plant" out loud. I doubt they were forgotten, "planet Plant" was last heard in Episode of Bardock (2011) and Tsufurujins in said interview (2014). But after 2014, "planet Plant" could have been mentioned in that dialogue with Vegeta when he first met Cabba, I don't know why they avoided it.

Oh, they remembered Tsufurujins, as one of Universe 2 participants was a Tsufurujin. But since Dragon Ball Super is utterly terrible at explaining and expanding stuff... :roll:
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:24 pm

Sailor Haumea wrote:
precita wrote:But...is it canon?
Who cares? Why does "canon" matter? Just enjoy more Toriyama goodness.
It is. Toriyama’s involvement in this one is being hyped up to be the biggest yet.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:49 pm

Grimlock wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:I've noticed that too. I guess since the introduction of Sadala, Planet Plant and the Tuffles were forgotten
I meant the name itself, they're avoiding saying "planet Plant" out loud. I doubt they were forgotten, "planet Plant" was last heard in Episode of Bardock (2011) and Tsufurujins in said interview (2014). But after 2014, "planet Plant" could have been mentioned in that dialogue with Vegeta when he first met Cabba, I don't know why they avoided it.

Oh, they remembered Tsufurujins, as one of Universe 2 participants was a Tsufurujin. But since Dragon Ball Super is utterly terrible at explaining and expanding stuff... :roll:
To be fair if it wasnt for that little tidbit in promo material nobody would know that guy was a Tuffle. Cause as you said DBS can't explain anything for shit.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:28 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote:It is. Toriyama’s involvement in this one is being hyped up to be the biggest yet.
Hyped by who? Please, this is not even close to the hype of what was Battle Of Gods, after getting a new animated series with his involvement, a new movie seems pretty common.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:05 am

Noah wrote:Well, I hope by the time Universal Survival arc ends and after the unbearable episodes with Goten and Trunks protecting an island, we might get a Toei original arc!

Probably something with a mist that control people, but not on Earth this time, but in the whole Multiverse! So Goku, Jiren and pals has to solve this mystery. Also this would give time for Toriyama elaborate a plot to the movie :)
Why would those hypothetical episodes be unbearable? I'd look forward to that more than I would more serious stuff.

If anything, I've found the ToP itself to be unbearable. But that's just me. o_o
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

supersaiyandoctor
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyandoctor » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:47 am

I'm keen to find out what the film will be branded as. Just 'Dragon Ball' or 'Dragon Ball Super'. It would be a little strange if it comes under the Z banner.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:54 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Grimlock wrote:And it's really weird how they are avoiding mentioning "planet Plant" even after Toriyama mentioned Tsufurujins in 2014. Hopefully the movie address it by its proper name.
I've noticed that too. I guess since the introduction of Sadala, Planet Plant and the Tuffles were forgotten
Was plant ever mentioned in the manga ? cause if it wasn't then it's not surprising to see him possible drop it as he's been ignoaring plot points that weren't written by him.
Last edited by sintzu on Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:06 am

Can we get a film that is not focused on saiyans?They are done to death.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:45 am

Hawk9211 wrote:Can we get a film that is not focused on saiyans?They are done to death.
Modern DB as a whole has been heavily focused on them and Freeza so although I'd like something completely new, I think we're going to be stuck with them for awhile.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:00 am

The main character is a Saiyan, but we don't need to delve into their past.