Thanks to Dragon Ball Super - Dragon Ball GT?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Thanks to Dragon Ball Super - Dragon Ball GT?

Post by shadowmaria » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:38 am

Not a canon debate thread

Upon rewatching all of Dragon Ball GT recently, I found that number of issues that people usually raise with the series are presented as inconsistencies from Dragon Ball Z

However, thanks to the power of Dragon Ball Super, a few different issues seem to have been resolved.

Q. How does Trunks recognise Android #17? Surely this is because the writers forgot which Trunks they were writing for. That's the definite explanation!
A. Well, actually; as it turns out - Trunks met Android #17 when he was an early teenager during the Tournament of Power arc

Q. Gohan shouldn't be able to transform into a Super Saiyan! He lost that ability or doesn't need to transform anymore because of Elder Kai!
A. Plot-twist! It turns out he's no longer in that state due to lack of training, and can barely manage the Super Saiyan transformation. However, as of Super 120, we don't know how Super will end, so we don't know if Gohan will keep up his training; though in GT, he only used Super Saiyan at most.

Q. Goten and Trunks don't fight anymore, they're too interested in being teenagers. Shouldn't they be much, much stronger?
A. In a strange matter of events, Super shows Goten and Trunks being just kids or teenagers, without a heavy focus on them fighting and instead just having lots of fun being roughly 12 and 13 years old (currently)

Q. What lead to Frieza being strong enough to contend with Goku, even taking into his tag team with Cell?
A. He trained for four months, and Cell is confirmed to be able to Zenkai boost. Put two and two together, might be able to contend.
Q. But why doesn't Frieza use his Golden Form then?
A. Toriyama hadn't thought of it. But in-universe, it's probably because he felt cocky and like he didn't need to. Note: he doesn't use it for every fight in the Tournament of Power

And that is an excellent segue to my next point; Super has created it's own inconsistencies.

Kibito Kai versus Shin and Kibito, the aforementioned question about Frieza, how come Goku and Vegeta don't use their God powers or Ultra Instinct, where are Beerus and Whis, why isn't any of the events of Super referenced during the end montage or other such events (such as with the Shadow Dragons)? Just to give a few examples

The truth is, aside from leading towards the events of the end of Dragon Ball Z, nobody on this forum honestly knows how Super will be finished, so we do not know the state of Goku and Vegeta's God Ki, Beerus and Whis, if the events will be retained, anything like the sort.

This isn't a canon debate thread, nor is it a Super's end speculation thread.

The question I'm asking of Kanzenshuu, aside from the above examples, are there other instances where Super has actually aided the events of Dragon Ball GT?

sintzu
Banned

Re: Thanks to Dragon Ball Super - Dragon Ball GT?

Post by sintzu » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:04 am

shadowmaria wrote: Q. How does Trunks recognise Android #17? Surely this is because the writers forgot which Trunks they were writing for. That's the definite explanation!

Q. Gohan shouldn't be able to transform into a Super Saiyan! He lost that ability or doesn't need to transform anymore because of Elder Kai!

Q. Goten and Trunks don't fight anymore, they're too interested in being teenagers. Shouldn't they be much, much stronger?

Q. What lead to Frieza being strong enough to contend with Goku, even taking into his tag team with Cell?

Q. But why doesn't Frieza use his Golden Form then?
We don't need Super to tell us they could've seen each other sometime during the 15 years after Buu and leading up to Super 17's arc.

We also don't need Super here as we saw at the start of the Buu arc that he stopped training and losr a lot of his power.

We were told this in EOZ.

If I remember correctly Goku who was just fighting in base was toying with them so if he wanted to he could've taken them out any time.

The same reason Goku didn't use any of his Ssj forms, there might've been something in hell preventing beings from transforming as Freeza didn't even use his buff form.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Re: Thanks to Dragon Ball Super - Dragon Ball GT?

Post by sunsetshimmer » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:10 pm

There are many things wrong in what you just said

1. Trunks didn't recognize 17 in GT. English dub doesn't count. He never saw him. But he obviously heard about him. He realized that he must be 17 because his energy is similar to 18's (which is a plothole i guess since he shouldn't be able to feel their ki at all but ok)

2. DBS introduced Ultimate as a separate transformation, but it wasn't so clear before. Even in early version of Battle of Gods, Gohan was turning SSJ to fight Beerus. He was even on a poster. They changed it later. Just look at this:

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2017/10/19/ne ... -story-qa/
For instance, in Gohan’s case, there was apparently so much as an “Ultimate Gohan” concept in Dragon Ball Z, where he was a super-warrior with might surpassing Goku, but in GT, he’s a scholar who’s given up fighting almost entirely.(...)
Around the Super 17 arc in the animation, he came back as a super-warrior all of a sudden
He still turned SSJ against Super 17. So for GT, Gohan's base was his ultimate.

3. If you read the last chapter of manga, you can see that Goten already was dating and didn't want to enter the torunament, but Goku forced him to enter. The same goes for Trunks. He was forced by Vegeta.

4. Frieza has been training for years in hell. If we consider how strong he became in DBS in just few months, his GT self should be much, much stronger than SSJ4 Goku. So it only contradicts what Frieza was in GT. He should be far stronger than that.

So Super didn't really "aid" anything imo. Good theory tho! :)
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta