"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KinguKurimuzon
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by KinguKurimuzon » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:00 am

Wow, the story is... surprisingly meta. The soul possessing everyone when they need to fight is possibly the biggest asspull/excuse plot I've ever seen, but the way it works reminds me of Zach from Deadly Premonition. I never thought I'd see the day when a Dragon Ball game took inspiration from Deadly Premonition of all things. Speaking of which, it looks like FighterZ is taking inspiration from a bunch of other DB games. The board game story mode just screams Budokai 2, and some of the mechanics seem like they've been ripped straight from Super DBZ and Budokai 3. This is gonna be a fun game.
"Are you trying to impress me with your transformation sequence?" - Mashymre Cello

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" (PS4/XBO/PC, 2018, Arc System Works) Official Discussion Thread

Post by Totamo » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:11 am

Noah wrote:We know here you're biased when the subject is either XENOVERSE or HEROES, so no point in trying to argue about it. Sales don't change the fact that many thought there was little to no improvement in the game story from the previous installment.

And yes Android 21's character is interesting by itself and having a story that don't revolves around fixing the original DB timeline is already a plus over XV.
You're right. Its much better to rip off the Buu and Cell saga than to actual try something new.

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:15 am

I can't stand this games Quality of Life decisions... It takes 3 minutes to get into the main menu, and this is the only game which can kick me from the main menu because of a network error. This is just stupid.
That said, I love some of the fan points this game earn. I just unlocked an online title of "Brilliant Scientist". That said, the English translation strays way too far from the Japanese. I'm playing in Japanese and despite not being fluent, I can definitely tell there are moments the English subs are way off from what is being said.
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

KinguKurimuzon
Beyond Newbie

Post by KinguKurimuzon » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:14 am

NintendoBlaze53 wrote:I can't stand this games Quality of Life decisions... It takes 3 minutes to get into the main menu, and this is the only game which can kick me from the main menu because of a network error. This is just stupid.
That said, I love some of the fan points this game earn. I just unlocked an online title of "Brilliant Scientist". That said, the English translation strays way too far from the Japanese. I'm playing in Japanese and despite not being fluent, I can definitely tell there are moments the English subs are way off from what is being said.
Damn, I knew some of these lines were too good to be true.
"Are you trying to impress me with your transformation sequence?" - Mashymre Cello

KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KayDash » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:22 am

KinguKurimuzon wrote:The board game story mode just screams Budokai 2, and some of the mechanics seem like they've been ripped straight from Super DBZ and Budokai 3. This is gonna be a fun game.
The board game stuff is from Super Mario Bros 3, and countless many games used it before, even other ArcSys titles. Just saying.

mahakaishin1991

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:31 am

KayDash wrote:
KinguKurimuzon wrote:The board game story mode just screams Budokai 2, and some of the mechanics seem like they've been ripped straight from Super DBZ and Budokai 3. This is gonna be a fun game.
The board game stuff is from Super Mario Bros 3, and countless many games used it before, even other ArcSys titles. Just saying.
yeah but to DB fans, the big homage is Budokai 2 here

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:04 am

Alright, so I've been playing this game for about twelve hours now - on and off as I am an adult with responsibilities to uphold - but playing since then never the less

And wow...

I am bored of this game and I'm finding it a legitimate chore to play

I'll explain why in the spoiler section below as I'll be talking about some spoiler stuff so people know where I'm up to, and don't spoil the rest of the story for me.

[spoiler]First of all, this game is fucking beautiful to look at. I can tell immediately that Arc System has put a lot of time, love, and dedication into this title. Except when Player 1 is playing and everything is mirrored on that side of the screen for some reason. That's just dumb.

Secondly, the story has me interested and intrigued, but I won't say anything more about it until I complete all three story arcs (#21 just ate Nappa and fired her transformation beam at Cell, for reference as to where I'm up to). The whole "inhabited by another soul" thing is dumb, but I like how we have an actual reason as to why - despite the team layout - why the game is generally 1-v-1

Aside from that, as I said, I've played the game for nearly twelve hours and I'm bored. I've done a few different modes, shopped for Capsules, and changed my avatar; but the story mode (hello Budokai 2) is suffering major pacing issues with constant fades to black in the middle of cutscenes for no reason, and some maps being just random battles that barely progress the story at all. I can't believe I'm saying this (I'm nearly 26 and I've loved Dragon Ball since I was nine years old), but this actually feels like it's Dragon-ing on.

The minimal roster of 23 characters doesn't help, as I'm constantly fighting the exact same clone characters over and over and over and over again, and most of the time, the opponents I'm fighting don't speak, so it's just beating up a COM for the sake of it. I'm just as bored doing that as I am during Halo: The Master Chief Collection's Spartan Ops mode (which I'm playing solo Legendary, and even that challenge is boring).

At least with games like Xenoverse 2 or Tenkaichi 3, it was the same battles over and over again, but at least the COM's talked and there was a decent level of interactivity between 1P and COM. At least the COM's fought back and gave me a challenge, rather than me just stomping over 60 consecutive story battles without breaking a sweat or having one of my team even close to dying. I'm not even saying that as a Xenoverse 2 or Tenkaichi 3 mark - I've been playing these games (and every Dragon Ball game pretty much released in Australia since Budokai) and enjoyed most of them immensely (not counting Raging Blast, the Ultimate Tenkaichi titles, or Battle of Z); but this just isn't fun for me.

I'm not a huge online gamer as I find the online gaming community mostly annoying and toxic, so my main enjoyment from video games comes from the story and nothing else (the exact reason I have never bothered with Overwatch, but that's a tale for another time). I just wish I was enjoying this game more.[/spoiler]

I admittedly only decided to buy this game two weeks ago, and only for game development research and a new Dragon Ball story, so I wasn't too hyped but tried never the less to come in with an open mind. I found the lack of roster depth to be a bit of a turn off and some choices really stupid (18 and 16 playable, but not 17? What?), but was prepared to give it a shot because of all the talk, hype, and hyperbole surrounding it's release.

I hope my opinion is different by the time I finish the story, however at the moment - story, graphics, and fighting engine aside - I suppose that's all the game is: Talk, hype, and hyperbole.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:49 am

This story mode is a blast so far purely because of the character interactions. I love experimenting with the characters in my team to see what special cutscene I'll get in the next fight. It is very repetitive though. Still much better than most Dragon Ball video game story modes. It's like a combination of Budokai 2's board game story and Tenkaichi 2's character levelling up system.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:18 am

shadowmaria wrote:I hope my opinion is different by the time I finish the story, however at the moment - story, graphics, and fighting engine aside - I suppose that's all the game is: Talk, hype, and hyperbole.
I don't get it, you liked the game or not?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:20 am

NintendoBlaze53 wrote:I can't stand this games Quality of Life decisions... It takes 3 minutes to get into the main menu, and this is the only game which can kick me from the main menu because of a network error. This is just stupid.
Any lines that seemed off to you from the Japanese to the English sub you can share?
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:38 am

Olympian wrote:
Any lines that seemed off to you from the Japanese to the English sub you can share?
There are clips now on youtube. Before there were just a few vloggers posting scenes here and there on twitter, but you have better examples now. I have yet so see something egregious. Some localization is necessary since translating it word for word would sound a little off in English. At most, the biggest difference I perceived is in the acting. Take for instance
[spoiler]when Bulma finds out Piccolo might've seen images of her naked when he read her mind without her permission : in Japanese she sounds disgruntled and annoyed, in English she sounds a lot more angry.[/spoiler]

Curious if there is something more glaring in the game.

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:43 am

Yeah the tone is something I`ve discussed before.

If there are clips now I`ll look for them and see what I can take from there.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

YonedgeHP
Regular

Post by YonedgeHP » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:12 am

Anyone knows what is Kame House used for in the game?
Between you and the Namekian I think I've lost my touch at genocide. -PSN Xenoverse 2 account: Yonedge-HP. Freeza's race Ki blast avatar: Yonedge.
Filler and canon discussions are "meh" :oops:

English is not my first language!

IM21
Banned

Post by IM21 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:13 am

the game is fun... I am defeating opponents on difficulty 85 in local battle with no real problem so far... Arcade is also pretty cool. I just gotta finish the last one, which is te toughest. I did get a B on the Extreme Gravity Spaceship Curse on hard, but I heard the Hyperbolic time chamber is hard as fuck... Story mode is probably the weakest part, but still enjoyable,.

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:16 am

shadowmaria wrote:Alright, so I've been playing this game for about twelve hours now - on and off as I am an adult with responsibilities to uphold - but playing since then never the less

And wow...

I am bored of this game and I'm finding it a legitimate chore to play

I'll explain why in the spoiler section below as I'll be talking about some spoiler stuff so people know where I'm up to, and don't spoil the rest of the story for me.

[spoiler]First of all, this game is fucking beautiful to look at. I can tell immediately that Arc System has put a lot of time, love, and dedication into this title. Except when Player 1 is playing and everything is mirrored on that side of the screen for some reason. That's just dumb.

Secondly, the story has me interested and intrigued, but I won't say anything more about it until I complete all three story arcs (#21 just ate Nappa and fired her transformation beam at Cell, for reference as to where I'm up to). The whole "inhabited by another soul" thing is dumb, but I like how we have an actual reason as to why - despite the team layout - why the game is generally 1-v-1

Aside from that, as I said, I've played the game for nearly twelve hours and I'm bored. I've done a few different modes, shopped for Capsules, and changed my avatar; but the story mode (hello Budokai 2) is suffering major pacing issues with constant fades to black in the middle of cutscenes for no reason, and some maps being just random battles that barely progress the story at all. I can't believe I'm saying this (I'm nearly 26 and I've loved Dragon Ball since I was nine years old), but this actually feels like it's Dragon-ing on.

The minimal roster of 23 characters doesn't help, as I'm constantly fighting the exact same clone characters over and over and over and over again, and most of the time, the opponents I'm fighting don't speak, so it's just beating up a COM for the sake of it. I'm just as bored doing that as I am during Halo: The Master Chief Collection's Spartan Ops mode (which I'm playing solo Legendary, and even that challenge is boring).

At least with games like Xenoverse 2 or Tenkaichi 3, it was the same battles over and over again, but at least the COM's talked and there was a decent level of interactivity between 1P and COM. At least the COM's fought back and gave me a challenge, rather than me just stomping over 60 consecutive story battles without breaking a sweat or having one of my team even close to dying. I'm not even saying that as a Xenoverse 2 or Tenkaichi 3 mark - I've been playing these games (and every Dragon Ball game pretty much released in Australia since Budokai) and enjoyed most of them immensely (not counting Raging Blast, the Ultimate Tenkaichi titles, or Battle of Z); but this just isn't fun for me.

I'm not a huge online gamer as I find the online gaming community mostly annoying and toxic, so my main enjoyment from video games comes from the story and nothing else (the exact reason I have never bothered with Overwatch, but that's a tale for another time). I just wish I was enjoying this game more.[/spoiler]

I admittedly only decided to buy this game two weeks ago, and only for game development research and a new Dragon Ball story, so I wasn't too hyped but tried never the less to come in with an open mind. I found the lack of roster depth to be a bit of a turn off and some choices really stupid (18 and 16 playable, but not 17? What?), but was prepared to give it a shot because of all the talk, hype, and hyperbole surrounding it's release.

I hope my opinion is different by the time I finish the story, however at the moment - story, graphics, and fighting engine aside - I suppose that's all the game is: Talk, hype, and hyperbole.
Try playing online or against a human player.

That's where these games shines.

Playing against the computer for a long time can get boring.
My English is poor .

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:59 am

Goku: "Because they wanted to make Movie 15 a terrible joke, Trunks! This is not my fault, believe me!"

I'm glad something finally dedicated a little bit of time to talk about the "genius" idea of excluding Goten and Trunks in future events even though they once put everything in their hands (even if it's a gag scene). Once again, it took a game to do so.
shadowmaria wrote:at the moment - story, graphics, and fighting engine aside - I suppose that's all the game is: Talk, hype, and hyperbole.
Well, that was expected to say the least.
Last edited by Grimlock on Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

IM21
Banned

Post by IM21 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:06 pm

LOL, finished the hardest arcade mode with an A on the first try.... i am surprised :shock: :shock:

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:53 pm

Huh... What's going on here? :crazy:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:03 pm

Toryama.

And hey, interactions where Yamcha is right and isn`t shitted!

[spoiler]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3XrrnimKOs[/spoiler]
How odd that I would see those Tenshinhan x Yamcha scenes today after watching the Manga chapter where he believes Yamcha wimped out..

[spoiler]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MyyH9NwlCo[/spoiler]

Annnnd it`s gone, Jim.

You can "feel it coming"? Yamcha, it`s been 30 years. Wake up from the Matrix.
Last edited by Olympian on Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:07 pm

Michsi wrote: [spoiler]when Bulma finds out Piccolo might've seen images of her naked when he read her mind without her permission : in Japanese she sounds disgruntled and annoyed, in English she sounds a lot more angry.[/spoiler]

Curious if there is something more glaring in the game.
I don't see why the English doing that is a bad thing