Live Action Movie Discussion Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SatoSky
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SatoSky » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:17 pm

Blade wrote:I'm happy with Marsters as long as he doesn't put on that horrible attempt at a British accent like he did in Buffy. But apart from that I think it's potentially a great piece of casting, the guy has talent upto his neck and doesn't let himself choke on it.
He'll be using that horrible British accent in Torchwood, I believe.
Yeah, but it was on the first page of the Google search, and he looked relatively sinister in that shot.
Here's sinister fo ya'.

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:40 pm

SaiyamanMS wrote:Sweet! I love Doctor Who and Torchwood. Now if only Channel Ten wasn't so screwy with it's Torchwood airtimes...

During their run of season 1, they originally gave it a Monday 9:30 PM timeslot for the first few episodes... Although, it'd usually be running late by at least 20 minutes, one time it was over an hour late... Then they suddenly moved it to Tuesday Night/Wednesday Morning 12:00 AM without ANY warning. In fact, I wouldn't have known the new time slot if I didn't check their web site for it... While the ABC has faithfully given Doctor Who a 7:30 PM Saturday timeslot each time a new season begins.

Anyway, I'm getting off topic here... (P.S. David Tennant is an awesome Doctor.)
Ahh! A fello "Whovian". I thought Torchwood ran hot and cold in the first season but I'm looking forward to the next series nevertheless. Tennant is a great Doctor. There is a special episode going out this friday featuring the Fifth Doctor aswell as Tennant. My all time favourite has to be Pertwee though - that man had class. :P
SatoSky wrote: He'll be using that horrible British accent in Torchwood, I believe.
Are you sure? Nothing I've read says he is acting as an Englishman - just because it's a British show doesn't mean he has to have the accent, John Barrowman is breathing proof. :P
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

QuantumDestiny
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by QuantumDestiny » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:34 pm

Does anybody have any choices for Bulma or ChiChi's casting? Considering they probably won't be well known, I'll probably be happier with whomever plays Bulma... Oh GOD I hope they keep the blue (or purple) hair...

SatoSky
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SatoSky » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:44 pm

Blade wrote:Are you sure? Nothing I've read says he is acting as an Englishman - just because it's a British show doesn't mean he has to have the accent, John Barrowman is breathing proof. :P
An excerpt from an interview with Boston NOW.
Boston NOW = BN; James Marsters = JM.

BN: And you're doing Torchwood, too.
JM: (laughing) I hope America can deal with Torchwood. I thought I was going to do this nasty Dr. Who spin-off over in England because, you know, English people are kind of randy. They like their entertainment a little spicier than Americans can deal with, frankly.

BN: Are you bringing back the accent (much to the shock of many of his fans, Marsters is from California, not England)?
JM: Yes. I decided I was going to England so I should have an English accent. I got the script and he's a total criminal, so he should be lower class, and then immediately I'm in Spike territory.

Full interview.

Edited: Al Norton to Boston NOW. Sorry for that mistake.
Last edited by SatoSky on Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:50 pm

SatoSky wrote:
Blade wrote:Are you sure? Nothing I've read says he is acting as an Englishman - just because it's a British show doesn't mean he has to have the accent, John Barrowman is breathing proof. :P
An excerpt from an interview with Boston NOW.
Al Norton = AN; James Marsters = JM.

BN: And you're doing Torchwood, too.
JM: (laughing) I hope America can deal with Torchwood. I thought I was going to do this nasty Dr. Who spin-off over in England because, you know, English people are kind of randy. They like their entertainment a little spicier than Americans can deal with, frankly.

BN: Are you bringing back the accent (much to the shock of many of his fans, Marsters is from California, not England)?
JM: Yes. I decided I was going to England so I should have an English accent. I got the script and he's a total criminal, so he should be lower class, and then immediately I'm in Spike territory.

Full interview.
Touche, your good! Outpost Gallifrey haven't reported that yet! I think I will just come to you in future for exclusives :D
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

Contra Deus
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Contra Deus » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:07 pm

I'm a big fan of Marsters, don't get me wrong, but I just can't see him as Piccolo. Based on his build, he'd be more suited for Vegeta. I mean, Piccolo is well over six-foot and broad-shouldered, while Marsters is, what, 5'9"? He's also reed-thin.

But what the hell, he was good as Brainiac on Smallville, so maybe he'll make a good Piccolo.

MisterFlashdude
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisterFlashdude » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:27 pm

Sun_Wukong wrote:Justin Chatwin as Goku has me very scarred. I saw The Invisible and not once did I think Goku. I actually saw Sasuke from Naruto.
Uh, yeah. I remember him from War of the Worlds as Tom Cruise's angry, rebellious son. I can see him playing the loser highschool kid they're going to make Goku into for this movie. I can see it. And it makes me cringe.

QuantumDestiny
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by QuantumDestiny » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:38 pm

Contra Deus wrote:I'm a big fan of Marsters, don't get me wrong, but I just can't see him as Piccolo. Based on his build, he'd be more suited for Vegeta. I mean, Piccolo is well over six-foot and broad-shouldered, while Marsters is, what, 5'9"? He's also reed-thin.

But what the hell, he was good as Brainiac on Smallville, so maybe he'll make a good Piccolo.
Well if it's Piccolo Daimao he'll be playing, then I think it'll fit. Though there are always cinematic muscle-suits and CGI.

Katalyst

Post by Katalyst » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:50 pm

Since the release date is next summer, I'm guessing they'll spend a month "acting" in front of a green screen and the rest of the time with the CGI.

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Anonymous Friend » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:10 pm

Katalyst wrote:Since the release date is next summer, I'm guessing they'll spend a month "acting" in front of a green screen and the rest of the time with the CGI.
I keep getting conflicting reports on the release dates for this movie. All the info I read on this site says next year, but whenever I hear about this movie elsewhere I get 2009 or 2010. What's up with that?
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:43 pm

Is there a reason why they even chose to pick on dbz to do a live-action movie?

I mean, wouldn't it make more sense for them to pick something that could look more believable in live action, like Bleach or Naruto? Those two series are HUGE right now. Why pull dbz up from its comfortable spot in the classics to do this?!

I'm totally grasping at straws right now. :(
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Contra Deus
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Contra Deus » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:29 pm

Chuquita wrote:Is there a reason why they even chose to pick on dbz to do a live-action movie?

I mean, wouldn't it make more sense for them to pick something that could look more believable in live action, like Bleach or Naruto? Those two series are HUGE right now. Why pull dbz up from its comfortable spot in the classics to do this?!

Interesting you mentioned Bleach. I've heard that the live stage-play of Bleach was good, but as a movie? I don't know. They'd probably have to replace the shuhakushos with something that wouldn't look out of place in live action (unless the entire film was set exclusively in Soul Society). Plus, though Bleach may be wildly popular in Japan, it hasn't quite reached the level of notoriety here in the US that DB has.

Personally, I'm surprised no one has attempted a live action Cowboy Bebop film. However, I did hear that a live-action Blood: The Last Vampire movie is in the works.

Back on topic: How do you suppose Piccolo's character will be portrayed? Will it be the smug malevolence of Daimao, or the sullen, no-nonsense, 'fuck the world' attitude of Ma Junior? Obviously, Marsters would be more suited to the former, but his role as Brainiac on Smallville did demonstrate that he could play the serious, all-business type.

I don't know. I'd say this whole thing is a shot in the dark.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:22 pm

Concerning Bleach: I've heard that Tite Kubo has explicitly requested that no such Bleach LiveAction movie be made... but maybe I heard wrong?

What is done with Piccolo depends on... well... lots of things... (Like Namekian Ninjas).
I guess mainly if they plan on doing sequels, and what kind of resolution would be sought for the end of the one currently in development. If we want a happy ending, I'd imagine Piccolo would probably die (wait, why does the villan dying = a happy ending? Well, it _is_ hollywood?)... in which case pulling out the Daimao style would be doable. If they're just going for Jr now and later if Vegeta shows up, the ending of this one wold have to be... hmm... interesting.
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

QuantumDestiny
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by QuantumDestiny » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:52 pm

Chuquita wrote:Is there a reason why they even chose to pick on dbz to do a live-action movie?

Dragonball is way more worthy with its universal plot, and to be honest... it is COMPLETE! I don't see why Naruto would be more believable or acceptable, because they are a bunch of children being trained at killing with a lot of unnecessary angst -_-. Can't speak for Bleach, but the DragonBall storyline is just way more appealing to all ages, as shown by its enduring popularity.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:07 pm

Contra Deus wrote: Interesting you mentioned Bleach. I've heard that the live stage-play of Bleach was good, but as a movie? I don't know. They'd probably have to replace the shuhakushos with something that wouldn't look out of place in live action (unless the entire film was set exclusively in Soul Society). Plus, though Bleach may be wildly popular in Japan, it hasn't quite reached the level of notoriety here in the US that DB has.

Personally, I'm surprised no one has attempted a live action Cowboy Bebop film. However, I did hear that a live-action Blood: The Last Vampire movie is in the works.

Back on topic: How do you suppose Piccolo's character will be portrayed? Will it be the smug malevolence of Daimao, or the sullen, no-nonsense, 'fuck the world' attitude of Ma Junior? Obviously, Marsters would be more suited to the former, but his role as Brainiac on Smallville did demonstrate that he could play the serious, all-business type.

I don't know. I'd say this whole thing is a shot in the dark.

I saw part of the live-action Bleach play, that's why I thought it could be pulled off more easily (as its already been proven its possible). Ah, I assumed it was more popular here than I gave it credit for; as the bookstore I work at part-time about a third of the people I see buying manga are picking up Bleach.

I'd actually be interested in a live-action Bebop; I miss that show.
If Adult Swim were to ever air it again I'd definitely re-watch it.

QuantumDestiny wrote: Dragonball is way more worthy with its universal plot, and to be honest... it is COMPLETE! I don't see why Naruto would be more believable or acceptable, because they are a bunch of children being trained at killing with a lot of unnecessary angst -_-. Can't speak for Bleach, but the DragonBall storyline is just way more appealing to all ages, as shown by its enduring popularity.

I totally agree, I suppose it mostly stems from my unease at their two current casting choices and the intitial "high school" plot thing that surfaced back in September.

I don't think Naruto would be more acceptable, (I've only seen up to what, episode 25 or something and then skipped straight to Shippuuden; and even then I'm only watching Shippuuden because a bunch of my friends are. I'm seriously lazy when it comes to Shippuuden.) I'm just saying its more popular right now. It's the "it" show and even though I don't agree with some of the stuff that's in Naruto, the mainstream eats it up and Hollywood tends to target that same audience with these kinds of movies.
Also on believabililty scale, I'm mainly talking about the hair. I have a horrible sinking feeling that Goku's hair is going to be massacred if the use live action. :cry:

Now a CGI or Animated Dragon Ball movie would be something I would be excited for.

Seriously? Can you imagine a full-length animated Dbz movie done by Toei in the art style of Budoukai 2 or 3's opening? It would be beautiful!

I'm hoping the live-action-movie will be enough to kick Toei into gear about releasing some kind of new special (or at least nmz in ova form).
Also, Ms. Nozawa turned 71 this past month. Toei REALLY needs to do a new special before she retires.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Contra Deus
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Contra Deus » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:54 pm

Chuquita wrote:I saw part of the live-action Bleach play, that's why I thought it could be pulled off more easily (as its already been proven its possible). Ah, I assumed it was more popular here than I gave it credit for; as the bookstore I work at part-time about a third of the people I see buying manga are picking up Bleach.
Well, Bleach has become popular, no doubt about it (it's certainly one of my all-time favourites). Sure, Adult Swim decided to be pricks and pull the series after episode 52 (what, they couldn't have at least shown the final 11 episodes of the Soul Society arc?), and the DVDs are being released at a snail's pace, but the manga has really exploded in popularity (twenty-one volumes and counting). However, despite all that, it still isn't quite on Dragonball's level. Yet.

I'd actually be interested in a live-action Bebop; I miss that show.
If Adult Swim were to ever air it again I'd definitely re-watch it.
So would I. Adult Swim did air the series in its entirety weekdays during Sept. - Oct., but it's no longer on.

I totally agree, I suppose it mostly stems from my unease at their two current casting choices and the intitial "high school" plot thing that surfaced back in September.

Also on believabililty scale, I'm mainly talking about the hair. I have a horrible sinking feeling that Goku's hair is going to be massacred if the use live action. :cry:
I think we can pretty much assume that they aren't going to try to emulate the Goku-hair. They might make it look spikey and unkempt, but there's no way they could make it look like how it is in the manga/anime.

I'm hoping the live-action-movie will be enough to kick Toei into gear about releasing some kind of new special (or at least nmz in ova form).
Also, Ms. Nozawa turned 71 this past month. Toei REALLY needs to do a new special before she retires.
If they decide to release an OVA or a new series that overhauls and updates the franchise, I don't think Nozawa-san will be playing Goku. You said it yourself: she's 71. I don't think her vocal cords are cut out for doing the screams and grunts anymore.

On another note, Jet Li has mentioned that he's pretty much done with action (he is over 60) after his upcoming film, so seeing him as Vegeta or any character in a DB live-action film is pretty unlikely.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:14 pm

I don't know WHY anybody is even humoring the thought that they'd try to perfectly imitate Goku's hair. The creators know better.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:12 am

SSj Kaboom wrote:I don't know WHY anybody is even humoring the thought that they'd try to perfectly imitate Goku's hair. The creators know better.
Or do they? :o

What do you guys think of the director choice? I heard the director of Final Destination 3 was going to direct, and I only saw bits and parts of that movie(It seemed pretty bad to me) I think they should have some good directors do this, like Sam Reimi or Peter Jackson.

Actually, I'm curious as to what a Tim Burton DBZ would be like. :lol:
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Anonymous Friend » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:40 am

Big Momma wrote:
SSj Kaboom wrote:I don't know WHY anybody is even humoring the thought that they'd try to perfectly imitate Goku's hair. The creators know better.
Or do they? :o

What do you guys think of the director choice? I heard the director of Final Destination 3 was going to direct, and I only saw bits and parts of that movie(It seemed pretty bad to me) I think they should have some good directors do this, like Sam Reimi or Peter Jackson.

Actually, I'm curious as to what a Tim Burton DBZ would be like. :lol:
The guy did direct Jet Li and Jason Statham in The One. Which did have some cool meta-human type fight scenes. One of my favorite being Jet Li picking up and swatting a guy with a motorcycle.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:27 am

Hmmm, so the guy playing Gokuu was in War of the Worlds, the very same movie that had some random Pilaf plushie or something in the background of a scene....coincidence?
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube