Is it true that Toriyama hated working on Dragonball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:06 pm

Because drawing character designs and whatnot isn't writing stories with a strict deadline. Besides, money runs out quick.

Saiyan
Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiyan » Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:53 pm

Not Toriyama's money! He should still be getting royalties for all of the Dragon Ball stuff being put out, including all the Dragon Boxes, R2 singles, Kanzenban, video games, etc.

Contra Deus
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Contra Deus » Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:47 pm

I liked the Buu saga. "We Gotta Power" and "We Used to Be Angels" are my two favourite songs throughout all DB, and the new opening and ending was refreshing after 180+ episodes of "Cha-La-Head-Cha-La" and "Zenkai Power."

For me, the best part of the Buu arc was the Great Saiyaman stuff and the training for the World Tournament. It had a very coming of age feel to it; like the dawn of a new generation. We got to see a different (and better side) of Gohan in his teen years and there was a great deal of potential for adventure, kind of like a throwback to the original Dragonball.

I still wish Toriyama had kept Gohan as the main protagonist for the whole arc, but I suppose Toei pressured him into bringing Goku back. Nothing anyone can do about it, so it's better to just be content with what's there.

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:21 pm

Shin Moonwalker wrote:
Victator Supreme wrote:Buu saga was awesome.
It's my personnal favorite ;) (Manga version).
I wholeheartedly agree with you there :) The manga version of the Buu arc was great fun to read.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:45 pm

...Cuz the Anime one wasn't good? lol

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:31 pm

Contra Deus wrote:Nothing anyone can do about it, so it's better to just be content with what's there.
God bless your soul.
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

testing223
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by testing223 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:03 pm

Victator Supreme wrote:
I think that was pretty obvious by about the end of the Cell saga, as he was out of ideas. Which lead to the embarrassingly bad Buu saga, which was just rehashes of previous ideas.
Buu saga was awesome. I don't know what you are on.

I would trade three of my great ideas for one of Toriyama's.
The villain's main ability was to regenerate...which had been done before.

The only way to beat him was to get a powerup...instantly. Not even any training, just deux ex machinas left and right.

The other sagas were guilty of this too, but at least there was a buildup and sense of achievement to them with training montages and so forth.

As soon as Buu actually entered the picture, the saga became he thing people often parody. MY power level is this! Well, Mine is suddenly higher! Well mine just went a bit higher! Well, mine goes higher than THAT! This happened at the end of Freeza, too, but at least it was toned down for Cell.

There was no creativity of the fights or powers, and Buu's character had no motivation other than destroying stuff. At least Freeza and Cell had ties to the main characters on different levels. Buu literally came out of nowhere and vanished the same way.

Contra Deus
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Contra Deus » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:05 pm

testing223 wrote:The villain's main ability was to regenerate...which had been done before.
Technically, Buu's regenerative powers were light-years ahead of Cell's. Cell could regenerate limbs and his upper body, but Buu could regenerate after getting blasted into dust.

The only way to beat him was to get a powerup...instantly. Not even any training, just deux ex machinas left and right.

The other sagas were guilty of this too, but at least there was a buildup and sense of achievement to them with training montages and so forth.
You are right on this part. The battle with Buu seemed almost rushed, and didn't have the steady build-up of tension that previous battles did.

As soon as Buu actually entered the picture, the saga became he thing people often parody. MY power level is this! Well, Mine is suddenly higher! Well mine just went a bit higher! Well, mine goes higher than THAT! This happened at the end of Freeza, too, but at least it was toned down for Cell.
That's essentially the very essence of what DB is; it's what makes it hokey enough to be classic. Everybody makes fun of and jokes about this aspect of the series, and it can be found all throughout DBZ, not just in the Buu Saga.

There was no creativity of the fights or powers, and Buu's character had no motivation other than destroying stuff. At least Freeza and Cell had ties to the main characters on different levels. Buu literally came out of nowhere and vanished the same way.
I'll give you that. Buu was entertaining, but he didn't have quite the impact that Cell or Freeza did. And ultimately, Chou Gohan's powers were completely wasted. They were made to look cool when he first powered up on Kaioshin's planet, but were ultimately proven useless when Gohan got owned by Super Buu 2.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:08 pm

So what if it was a villain that was comprised of past villains...in a different way than Cell. So what? The story was fresh and new. Goku had another son, Gohan was grown up, Vegeta had a whole family, wizards, and more in-depth Other World stuff. The story was original and it was something new and fresh. And the fight scenes were awesome. I'm personally not the type to sit there and nit pick into the small stuff. The question you gotta ask yourself is did you enjoy the story? If yes, then great and who cares about the rest? If no, then sorry about that, but at least you've got Cell. I liked the Cell Saga a lot more myself, but I'm not going to lie and say that the Buu Saga wasn't amazing.

testing223
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by testing223 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:09 am

Contra Deus wrote: That's essentially the very essence of what DB is; it's what makes it hokey enough to be classic. Everybody makes fun of and jokes about this aspect of the series, and it can be found all throughout DBZ, not just in the Buu Saga.
Yeah, it was obvious Toriyama wanted to go back to comedy, what with Saiyaman and Buu making potty jokes. But man that didn't flow well after Cell. So then comes back the usual villain that can't be killed/powerup cycle.

I think we can agree that T was suffering badly from burnout. Pity the editors/publishers couldn't give him a sabbatical to recharge.

dchan316
Beyond Newbie

Post by dchan316 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:27 am

I liked the Buu saga. It was a nice change of pace, because if it kept advancing in the same direction the Cell arc ended, theres a good chance it might have gotten too angst-driven (for my tastes anyway).

And we got to see a bunch of refreshing stuff, too; Gohan getting flustered by girls (Videl meeting Chichi was awesome too), Goten and Trunks zany antics (Mighty Mask, Fusion ego), a slapstick villain, an unexpected hero, and Goku actually killing someone (GASP!) for the first time since King Piccolo, I believe.

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:12 am

dchan316 wrote:and Goku actually killing someone (GASP!) for the first time since King Piccolo, I believe.
He took out Yakon too, though that was kind of a special circumstance since killing him was the only way to get further down Babidi's ship, hence to save Piccolo and Kuririn, as well as to get to Buu. But yeah, up to the Buu arc, Goku really did seem to have a big no killing policy since his battle with Daimao, that is if you don't count his Mirai counterpart taking out Freeza and King Cold. I've come to see that as a result of his training on Kami's lookout, as he got some holy types of training under Popo and really disciplined himself, alongside after finding out he was a Saiyan that killing could be the blurring line between Son Goku and Kakarrot from his point of view. Hell, maybe I just read into some stuff too much. XD;;

Lastly, for someone like myself whom sees certain movies in continuity, he took out two of Garlic Jr.'s henchmen, Coola, and Hildegarn (though this was after Buu). Alas, let us not forget his killing sprees in GT. >>;;
14 years later

testing223
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by testing223 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:08 am

dchan316 wrote:and Goku actually killing someone (GASP!) for the first time since King Piccolo, I believe.
Actually, I don't see how that's a good thing or a good evolution of the "Living for the fight, not the kill" character that Goku had become.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:28 pm

Goku didn't have a choice in the matter really. He intended to kill Frieza didn't he? With that last attack I mean.

ViolentSaiyan

Post by ViolentSaiyan » Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:03 pm

Snail wrote:
Shin Moonwalker wrote:
Victator Supreme wrote:Buu saga was awesome.
It's my personnal favorite ;) (Manga version).
I wholeheartedly agree with you there :) The manga version of the Buu arc was great fun to read.
I agree too. I really enjoy manga version of the Buu arc. My favorite dbz arc.
Yare Yare Daze

Bomber Greek
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bomber Greek » Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:11 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:Goku didn't have a choice in the matter really. He intended to kill Freeza didn't he? With that last attack I mean.
He did try to kill him, but it was unsuccessful.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:02 pm

Well, he DID give Freeza a lot of chances. When he returned to Earth, he does state he was intending to kill Freeza upon his arrival, though.
"He didn't seem sorry for what he had done at all, so I was going to kill him"

Victator Supreme
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Victator Supreme » Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:10 pm

Saying there was no creativity in the fights or powers is a world class ridiculous statement. The actual fights were the best part of the Buu saga.

Buu was created as a magical weapon. A thing to help Bibidi conquer the universe. Unfortuneatly Babidi as unable to control it and was killed. Such a menace coming out of nowhere was the whole point.. This was not like the Saiyans or Cell where they had a year or three to get ready. This was a cosmic menace that came out of nowhere, and could kick the piss outta the super saiyans. That was where the drama laid.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:12 pm

testing223 wrote: ...and Buu's character had no motivation other than destroying stuff. At least Freeza and Cell had ties to the main characters on different levels. Buu literally came out of nowhere and vanished the same way.
Frieza was a good villain, but I think he was too stuck up for his own good. He had too much pride, and that got in his way.

Cell was too merciful, he gave people 10 days(?) to train before he held a tourny to find someone who could defeat him.

I actually like Kid Boo better than the other villains. I think a good villain shouldn't have any motive at all. You knew Boo was pure evil because he killed and destroyed for the heck of it, and he didn't care. Thats what a true villain should be like, no remorse and no second chances.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Victator Supreme
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Victator Supreme » Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:13 pm

You seem to be forgetting Cell's reasons for allowing the ten days. He got joy from watching people live in fear. Look at the pleasure he got from annoucing he would hunt down every single human and slaughter them.