"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by ToshioWrites » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:57 pm

It would be fitting if MUI Goku dropped out of the form JUST as he's about to eliminate jiren. He's gotten out of "jail" so to speak 3 times cause UI omen activated at the last moment, I'd love to see the opposite.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:08 pm

JazzMazz wrote:
GodVegetto91 wrote:
MajinMan wrote:
I mean, we got an extended preview.
Which revealed... What?! A shot of Goku’s hair bangs being slightly more silver? So badly in fact we couldn’t make out wether it was the new form or not at all. I am not satisfied with something that minor.
Um, it revealed that it is actually a new form, and served as the necessary hype for the next episode. Its far better at achieving hype than posting loads of preview images for the episode.
Uhm no. That’s not a fact. That’s a subjective opinion and you’re allowed to have it ofcourse. For me, this doesn’t get me hyped up at all. Posting loads of preview images of Goku’s new form is what would to the trick for me. But hey it’s all subjective and different for everybody.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:10 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote: Uhm no. That’s not a fact. That’s a subjective opinion and you’re allowed to have it ofcourse. For me, this doesn’t get me hyped up at all. Posting loads of preview images of Goku’s new form is what would to the trick for me. But hey it’s all subjective and different for everybody.
Totally disagree. Getting a teaser and not showing much of anything until the episode airs leaves more to surprise, which is personally what I prefer in general.

Helios518
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Helios518 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:12 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
GodVegetto91 wrote: Uhm no. That’s not a fact. That’s a subjective opinion and you’re allowed to have it ofcourse. For me, this doesn’t get me hyped up at all. Posting loads of preview images of Goku’s new form is what would to the trick for me. But hey it’s all subjective and different for everybody.
Totally disagree. Getting a teaser and not showing much of anything until the episode airs leaves more to surprise, which is personally what I prefer in general.
I agree. IMO It would be perfect if episode summaries didn’t exist and NEPs were more mysterious (Like not outright showing SSJB Vegetto).
Why I use "Geran" instead of "Jiren"

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:53 pm

Helios518 wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
I agree. IMO It would be perfect if episode summaries didn’t exist and NEPs were more mysterious (Like not outright showing SSJB Vegetto).
Yeah episode titles are fine but even they’re pretty spoiler-y. Half the time I feel why bother watching the episode when they leak what’s gonna happen ahead of time.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:43 am

TheMikado wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:
alakazam^ wrote: The outline being "barebones" doesn't say much and is not a sign of a production being messy. Besides, the rest you mentioned isn't new in the anime industry so I don't know why you're acting like it's the first time any of this happened? You think Toei, being decades old, suddenly forgot how to produce anime? Either you don't really know what you're talking about or you're believing what you want to believe.
First off, I think its worth noting that script writers are more hired for there general experience in handling certain types of shows over there mere attachment to a single franchise. Having a prominent and well known series composer and director are after all essential things in pitching an anime to the industry. As for Super current writers, although we have some script writer with not a lot of experience or credits to them, the vast majority of main stays appear to have a lot of credits action orientated roles, a noticeable amount coming from script writers that have at some point worked on Precure(which along with the series director, probably explains why universe 2 got a lot of spotlight).

As for Super being a rushed mess, well, it is. I think the amount of documentation about the shows behind the scenes has come to light, so I don't think that's in debate.

Though I will say humourously, that judging by how they stuffed up the basic scheduling for the show, you would think they did forget how to produce an anime. :lol:
Exactly. People can see for themselves when you have 7 directors in 2 years and 5 writers... 6 if we count Toriyama. Further you can click on each writer to see other notable works. It obviously doesn't include all of them but as an example Atsuhiro Tomioka worked on Pokemon movies which skew towards a younger audience and focus on "monster of the week" format so plot and character consistency is less important.

https://mubi.com/films/dragon-ball-super/cast

Directors:
Kimitoshi Chioka
Morio Hatano
Masato Mikami
Koji Ogawa
Takahiro Imamura
Kazuya Karasawa
Masato Mitsuka

Writers:
Atsuhiro Tomioka
Yukinori Fukushima
King Ryu
Hiroshi Yamaguchi
Toshio Yoshitaka

Toriyama
I will say that the site you linked doesn't actually differentiate between regular episode directors and series directors, nor does it really include every series director or episode director that's worked on Super. Same goes for the writing staff.

I think another important aspect of the actual episode creation process is storyboarding. Though episode directors do usually tend to storyboard there own episode, Super has a bunch of storyboard artists that are either animators, animation supervisors, or story boarders using pen names, that have there work directed by different episode directors. A good example of a director on Super that's good at directing other peoples boards is Takao Iwai.

vashter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by vashter » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:41 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v84y3PGjMws someone start translate the part he show MUI card and back of it.

Edit: it around 11:00 mark

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:05 am

We only have 2 episodes left, right?
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

thegamer23
Beyond Newbie

Post by thegamer23 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:37 am

jeffbr92 wrote:We only have 2 episodes left, right?
129, 130, 131

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:38 am

So is the Sunday schedule:

On
Off
On
On (fin)?
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:54 am

TobyS wrote:So is the Sunday schedule:

On
Off
On
On (fin)?
Yes indeed, only the one break the 11th of march and then the final two episodes, the last one on the 25th.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:57 am

dbgtFO wrote:

On
Off
On
On (fin)?
Yes indeed, only the one break the 11th of march and then the final two episodes, the last one on the 25th.
Do you think we might get one more manga chapter before the last ep?
So:
On
Off
On
Manga
On (fin)?
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Goresh
Beyond Newbie

Post by Goresh » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:37 pm

vashter wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v84y3PGjMws someone start translate the part he show MUI card and back of it.

Edit: it around 11:00 mark
The white/silver haired form is just called 身勝手の極意. So regular old migatte no gokui without the -sign- part.

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Post by ToshioWrites » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:44 pm

TobyS wrote:
dbgtFO wrote:

On
Off
On
On (fin)?
Do you think we might get one more manga chapter before the last ep?
So:
On
Off
On
Manga
On (fin)?
Yes. Next manga chapter should leak on 17th which is when episode 130 will air and official release will be on 21st which before the very last episode

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:16 pm

According to Ajay, Takahashi will work in episode 131, so any chance Goku vs Jiren ends there? Or could it mean we will get Goku vs Uub?

OverHeaven
Beyond Newbie

Post by OverHeaven » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:24 pm

perucho1990 wrote:According to Ajay, Takahashi will work in episode 131, so any chance Goku vs Jiren ends there? Or could it mean we will get Goku vs Uub?
What a coincidence just finished watching his video :mrgreen:
Personally, I think the fight is going to end on 130. He said that 130 is going to be directed by Megumi Ishitani and her work on the episode is said to be wonderful and moving. Feels like these is going to be some pretty good animation sequences here.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:46 pm

I'm gonna go watch it now; that's strange he's on the last episode; maybe they just want to end the arc with it looking good in its last go? I dunno.

There really isn't a winning situation for me since I find Jiren and Uub equally boring.....some EoZ dougi Goku could be fun though.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:50 pm

perucho1990 wrote:According to Ajay, Takahashi will work in episode 131, so any chance Goku vs Jiren ends there? Or could it mean we will get Goku vs Uub?
Maybe?! I hope there is a good reason to put Takahashi on the final episode, but if not then it will be a waste.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Post by ToshioWrites » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:06 pm

https://twitter.com/peterkelamis/status ... 06848?s=21

Kelamis won't be at KamehaCon for those who care. Wonder who the other actor could be

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:09 pm

ToshioWrites wrote:https://twitter.com/peterkelamis/status ... 06848?s=21

Kelamis won't be at KamehaCon for those who care. Wonder who the other actor could be
How could one actor have that much power to ban Kelamis from the con?!

Is there a way to petition-override this person and get Kelamis' access reinstated or is it a lost cause?

From what I read it doesn't sound like Kelamis did anything wrong, but this other person decided they didn't want him there because personal reasons even though I'm willing to bet more people want to meet Kelamis than don't want to.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!