Why could Goku achieve UI but Vegeta couldn't?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SsjCookie
Beyond Newbie

Re: Why could Goku achieve UI but Vegeta couldn't?

Post by SsjCookie » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:45 am

GodVegetto91 wrote:Plot. As always. It’s the only reason that explains everything 100% of the time with perfect accuracy. It happens because Toriyama and Toei want it to happen. Vegeta is not getting it this time because it’s Goku’s show and Goku’s turn to achieve it first. Vegeta is up next though when the series returns.
Yep, plot.

Goku is the most popular character, so he gets the most out of this fight (as predicted)

And if vegeta somehow surpasses Goku in the future, it will not be at a crucial point in the battle because Goku will probably surpass him again in the Boss fight.
That's how it always goes with these two...sigh. :problem:

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:31 am

SsjCookie wrote:
GodVegetto91 wrote:Plot. As always. It’s the only reason that explains everything 100% of the time with perfect accuracy. It happens because Toriyama and Toei want it to happen. Vegeta is not getting it this time because it’s Goku’s show and Goku’s turn to achieve it first. Vegeta is up next though when the series returns.
Yep, plot.

Goku is the most popular character, so he gets the most out of this fight (as predicted)

And if vegeta somehow surpasses Goku in the future, it will not be at a crucial point in the battle because Goku will probably surpass him again in the Boss fight.
Indeed. Even though i’m a HUGE Vegeta fan, i have no problem with Goku getting new forms first and beating the baddies in these specific cases. It’s his show afterall, and he’s the perfect role model for introducing new forms (considering his Base hairstyle) As long as Vegeta eventually catches up to Goku and attains UI aswell and beats up some relevant dudes i’ll be satisfied.

DBZ Macky
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Macky » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:45 am

dbgtFO wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:Gokuu wants to fight, it's coded into his being, therefore when you boil him down to his essentials it makes perfect sense that his epitome would manifest as the Mastery of Selflessness.
Isn't it mastery of selfishness though?
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's selfishness. But wouldn't that make even more sense?
Vegeta fights for his family and Saiyan pride while Goku fights solely for himself. Kinda ironic when you consider both characters' backgrounds.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:You're in the DB community, it's always a power level thread to someone.

SsjCookie
Beyond Newbie

Post by SsjCookie » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:48 am

GodVegetto91 wrote:
SsjCookie wrote:
Yep, plot.

Indeed. Even though i’m a HUGE Vegeta fan, i have no problem with Goku getting new forms first and beating the baddies in these specific cases. It’s his show afterall, and he’s the perfect role model for introducing new forms (considering his Base hairstyle) As long as Vegeta eventually catches up to Goku and attains UI aswell and beats up some relevant dudes i’ll be satisfied.

I'm not even a huge Vegeta fan but i'm still rating him above Goku when it comes to personal growth.
I used to like Goku in DB and DBZ, he was never my favourite but I never minded seeing him getting the best of everyone in a fight.
The Goku in Super has become unlikeable to me and I'm less inclined to see him winning anything to be honest.
I don't really care about his new transformation because of this.

It basically come down to this,
If you are a huge Goku fan then Super is the show for you, I you're not people will only get disappointed by it.

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:35 am

SsjCookie wrote:
GodVegetto91 wrote:
SsjCookie wrote:
Yep, plot.

I'm not even a huge Vegeta fan but i'm still rating him above Goku when it comes to personal growth.
I used to like Goku in DB and DBZ, he was never my favourite but I never minded seeing him getting the best of everyone in a fight.
The Goku in Super has become unlikeable to me and I'm less inclined to see him winning anything to be honest.

If you are a huge Goku fan then Super is the show for you, I you're not people will only get disappointed by it.
Well, thats a lie because I'm a huge goku fan and i still get disappointed by this show.

its more like if you just want to see cool stuff, super is the show for you, if you want a story, you probably shouldn't be watching dragon ball in the first place.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:41 am

I think episode 129 has laid out more of the groundwork behind why Goku achieved the Ultra Instinct over Vegeta.

Son Goku is a fighting prodigy, and one could certainly say he's obsessed with fighting. But that's just it.... Goku is all about the fight. He immerses himself into a fight as if it were an extension of himself. His body has built up the instinctual realization of the very concept of fighting itself.

The Spirit Bomb nearly killing him was the trigger for which his body would be prompted to struggle against all odds and gain a life of its own, and thus the ability to channel all that fighting instinct into the form we see now, the Complete Ultra Instinct.

Vegeta, though? His mind always wanders, focused on surpassing Goku, on protecting his family, on seeing to the growth of the Universe 6 Saiyans. His mind and body simply aren't in sync with the purest idea of martial arts; Goku's mind and body are.

TBMx
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TBMx » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:55 am

They couldn't give Vegeta even a second of UI Omen against Jiren or Toppo. Not even a hint he'll get it in the future. Because he can't and he won't. His character will always be too uptight. Because that's an "iconic" Vegeta-ism.

SsjCookie
Beyond Newbie

Post by SsjCookie » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:56 am

Totamo wrote:
SsjCookie wrote:
GodVegetto91 wrote: Indeed. Even though i’m a HUGE Vegeta fan, i have no problem with Goku getting new forms first and beating the baddies in these specific cases. It’s his show afterall, and he’s the perfect role model for introducing new forms (considering his Base hairstyle) As long as Vegeta eventually catches up to Goku and attains UI aswell and beats up some relevant dudes i’ll be satisfied.

Well, thats a lie because I'm a huge goku fan and i still get disappointed by this show.

its more like if you just want to see cool stuff, super is the show for you, if you want a story, you probably shouldn't be watching dragon ball in the first place.
Let me rephrase that, If you are a huge Goku fan AND you just want to see cool stuff, Super is the show for you! :wink:

If you want complex characters and story arcs, don't watch because you'll be disappointed.

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:57 pm

Totamo wrote:
TheSaiyanGod wrote:I don't understand why people insist on citing that Vegeta did not get UI because of his personality, when in fact not even Goku himself got the UI in a '' conventional '' way, he was swallowed by a Genki Dama to be able to use the technique after '' breaking the shell '.

In this case, Whis's teachings regarding the UI have no connection with Goku having awakened this technique.

And the reason Vegeta did not wake the UI is simple
script

He did the same training as Goku, participated in the same battles and was in situations as extreme as Goku. He could have awakened the UI, but he didn't use because of script.

If Goku breaking through his shell is all this form is then why can't he used the form willingly like He can with every other form he got the same way.

Ultra instinct is your body moving by itself and thats what whis said it would do in Rof and he explained why goku would get it and why Vegeta couldn't. The spirti bomb was the trigger, not the whole reason. To say such, would be to ignore everything about the scene and what the form has done

By the way, No Vegeta has not been in an extreme situation like Goku was in this tournament, his attack created a mini blackhole and almost killed him. Also same training doesn't equal same results for all. ton of people trained under king kai, yet only Goku mastered his techniques and this isn't just a Goku thing. The humans got better results under kami in 1 year than Goku did in 3, Gohan got better results in the time chamber than any of the other 3.

By the way script rules all, including Vegeta's moments. Thats a dumb thing to say.

Then again I'm a Goku fanboy but then again, you're a Vegeta fanboy.
Whis never said that Vegeta could not, he just said it was more difficult because of his personality.

But in this case, personality does not interfere. Goku did not learn to use the UI because of the training with Whis, he simply awakened a transformation that automatically gives him that technique (and he does not even know how to activate on his own). That's why the argument '' Vegeta can not use because of his personality '' does not make any sense here.

Vegeta has been in extreme situations several times. He was defeated by Jiren and almost knocked unconscious, then exploded to try to defeat Toppo and got totally worn out, then took several other extremely powerful Jiren attacks just like Goku. And this argument that '' same training does not equal results for al '' does not make sense either. This only happens when it is convenient.
And again, the fact that Goku awakens the UI does not necessarily relate to his training, I'm talking about the situations he's been through.

And yes, everything is script.
And I don't care if you think I'm a fanboy, this is not much coming from another fanboy
PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote:I think episode 129 has laid out more of the groundwork behind why Goku achieved the Ultra Instinct over Vegeta.

Son Goku is a fighting prodigy, and one could certainly say he's obsessed with fighting. But that's just it.... Goku is all about the fight. He immerses himself into a fight as if it were an extension of himself. His body has built up the instinctual realization of the very concept of fighting itself.

The Spirit Bomb nearly killing him was the trigger for which his body would be prompted to struggle against all odds and gain a life of its own, and thus the ability to channel all that fighting instinct into the form we see now, the Complete Ultra Instinct.

Vegeta, though? His mind always wanders, focused on surpassing Goku, on protecting his family, on seeing to the growth of the Universe 6 Saiyans. His mind and body simply aren't in sync with the purest idea of martial arts; Goku's mind and body are.
I'll repeat what I said in my post above

In this case, personality does not interfere. Goku did not learn to use the UI because of the training with Whis, he simply awakened a transformation that automatically gives him that technique (and he does not even know how to activate on his own). That's why the argument '' Vegeta can not use because of his personality '' does not make any sense here.

Brettjr25
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brettjr25 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:03 pm

Amir wrote:I mean, sure Goku has always been thinking less, but lets face it, both him and Vegeta have been fighting the same way throughout all of Super and even in the TOP, they were far from UI, the way Goku achieved it had nothing to do with his prior training or because he had the necessary skill level to use UI, it was just because he broke through his shell and unlocked his hidden power. Vegeta did the same, but instead got a regular power up from Blue but still nothing compred to UI.

Why is that? I think it's Goku's main character plot armor. Do you think there's any logical reason to that? (not headcanon).

The canon answer and pretty much the entire point of the arc is right here:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0PlFk6WeDHw

Watch all 4 mins of it and take it in cause it still is true. Goku never fought for victory or push others down. Vegeta motivation has been his promise to Cabba, seeing his family and just like Vegeta says in the video thats true of Goku as well but thats only part of it, Goku fights purely to push and pass his own limits. Which is why the initial naming of Limit breaker Goku felt so right. Its what brought on the whole tournament and why goku has mastered UI, something Beerus cant even do.

A lot of people were vocal on how this made Goku seem like an ass but its the reason he's standing at that level now.

/End thread

Mercenary
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mercenary » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:06 pm

Arguments like : "Goku is more gifted", "Goku is a fighting prodigy" etc etc. are kinda invalid in this case.

Vegeta is said to also be a fighting genius, but that aside - he isn't the main protagonist.

I know you'd like to hear/read more substantial reasoning but I have to disappoint you - there's no such. And anything else is just headcanoning, your assumptions, nothing more, because Vegeta was clearly on par with Goku through entire DBS untill this arc (at least in the manga).

Vegeta getting UI would take the spotlight from Goku, even if it was only unmastered version or something.
He will probably get it but it'll be nothing impressive anymore and Goku will most likely be aiming for some greater "plateau" to reach.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:07 pm

It's not just in mind, as I clarified. Goku's own body has been trained and built up with great fighting instinct. Heck, Goku Black himself noted how his body seemed to want to fight Son Goku.

When Goku fights, he often doesn't think much about it and goes with the flow. It frees up more of his body to reflexively act. The potential for this immense free-flowing movement has always been there, it's just that Goku needed the right trigger to awaken it.

Brettjr25
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brettjr25 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:19 pm

Mercenary wrote:Arguments like : "Goku is more gifted", "Goku is a fighting prodigy" etc etc. are kinda invalid in this case.

Vegeta is said to also be a fighting genius, but that aside - he isn't the main protagonist.

I know you'd like to hear/read more substantial reasoning but I have to disappoint you - there's no such. And anything else is just headcanoning, your assumptions, nothing more, because Vegeta was clearly on par with Goku through entire DBS untill this arc (at least in the manga).

Vegeta getting UI would take the spotlight from Goku, even if it was only unmastered version or something.
He will probably get it but it'll be nothing impressive anymore and Goku will most likely be aiming for some greater "plateau" to reach.

Wrong.

This:

Watch all 4 mins of it and take it in cause it still is true. Goku never fought for victory or push others down. Vegeta motivation has been his promise to Cabba, seeing his family and just like Vegeta says in the video thats true of Goku as well but thats only part of it, Goku fights purely to push and pass his own limits. Which is why the initial naming of Limit breaker Goku felt so right. Its what brought on the whole tournament and why goku has mastered UI, something Beerus cant even do.

A lot of people were vocal on how this made Goku seem like an ass but its the reason he's standing at that level now.

/End thread[/quote]

Vegeta doesnt have Goku desire to do nothing but surpass his own limits. He may be a lot nobler but he hasnt changed that much. As soon as Goku achieved some of UI power Vegeta just got jealous and decided if "he can do it, so can I". Gokus mindset is totally different, which is why he's number 1.

MajinVegetaPD
Beyond Newbie

Post by MajinVegetaPD » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:58 pm

Because Goku is the main character and the plot didn't call for Vegeta to achieve it.

Mercenary
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mercenary » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:59 pm

Brettjr25 wrote:
Mercenary wrote:Arguments like : "Goku is more gifted", "Goku is a fighting prodigy" etc etc. are kinda invalid in this case.

Wrong.

This:

/End thread

Vegeta doesnt have Goku desire to do nothing but surpass his own limits. He may be a lot nobler but he hasnt changed that much. As soon as Goku achieved some of UI power Vegeta just got jealous and decided if "he can do it, so can I". Gokus mindset is totally different, which is why he's number 1.[/quote]

Call it whatever you want. The fact is - Vegeta changed his mind at the beginning of Super because they actually wanted them to be on par while struggling against the main adversaries.

Plot is really strong thing you know, you can make anyone as much powerful as you want and come up with some stupid explanation justifying your actions.

MajinVegetaPD wrote:Because Goku is the main character and the plot didn't call for Vegeta to achieve it.

I know it's hard to handle the truth, but this mate is right. Simplest answers are usually correct ones.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:18 pm

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote: Huh....... you're right. Goku also wondered why he dodged one time when he had his first fight against Beerus on King Kai's planet.
Maybe Resurrection of F wasn't the only time the Ultra Instinct was foreshadowed.
They foreshadowed it in episode 71 too.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:52 pm

Brettjr25 wrote:
Amir wrote:I mean, sure Goku has always been thinking less, but lets face it, both him and Vegeta have been fighting the same way throughout all of Super and even in the TOP, they were far from UI, the way Goku achieved it had nothing to do with his prior training or because he had the necessary skill level to use UI, it was just because he broke through his shell and unlocked his hidden power. Vegeta did the same, but instead got a regular power up from Blue but still nothing compred to UI.

Why is that? I think it's Goku's main character plot armor. Do you think there's any logical reason to that? (not headcanon).

/End thread
That doesn't make sense and a very weak/bad reasoning. It didn't make sense in the Buu saga nor does it make sense now. Why would fighting to push yourself make you stronger than fighting for something else would? So long as you put the same amount of effort to get stronger it doesn't matter.

Also, let's use your ien logic and say it does make a difference. It's been a long time since the Buu saga and Vegeta also fights to push himself just like Goku. The promise to Cabba is not the only thing that drives him to become stronger, that's absurd, that's the reason he has to win the TOP. Vegeta has said multiple times in Super that he wants to be the ultimate number one. Also your logic fails because Goku said many times in the last couple of episodes that his motivation for fighting is because he wants to protect his friends and that he can't afford to lose now that everyone is trusting him. So given the situation with the fate of the multiverse Goku and Vegeta have more than one motive to become stronger and win without disregarding the basic- every day life motivation for them to become stronger: to become the best.

So with all that said, your point about Goku fighting to push himself and Vegeta doesn't (which is plain wrong as I explained why) is totally irrelevant.

Kaiosama
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kaiosama » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:08 pm

Again... Goku is better than Vegeta, and this is his show and his moment. That should be the only answer you need. Outside of the fact that Goku always gets the new shiny form first, The show gave plenty of clues to why Goku was able to achieve the form and not Vegeta. Goku is better than Vegeta and will always be.

Brettjr25
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brettjr25 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:42 pm

If you want to deny the actual story of Dragonball why Toriyama stated Goku is better than Vegeta, why Vegeta calls number one and the reasoning behind why Goku continues to stay ahead of Vegeta and remains the best fighter, thats your problem and not an issue with the story or characters. To be coarse, you're just crying because a result didnt turn out how you want it. Its that simple.

Ignoring the story and saying a character became someway because of the story (of course! Everything happens because of the story O_o ) is just your way of coping. Have fun with being mad at nothing.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:24 pm

It helps that the idea of Ultra Instinct happens to be conducive to Goku's general mentality -- and that his operatively autonomous body somehow retained his consciously learned and performed martial arts "skills". Plus, I would attribute experienced circumstances during the tournament to Goku acquiring it. He was pushed beyond his limits and the Spirit Bomb acted as an initial power source for the state.