"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by HeroR » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:24 am

Hawk9211 wrote:Oh,wow.A movie revolving around the underrated saiyans.Glad,they got some much needed focus.
HeroR wrote:
RedHeat wrote: I think a pretty high chance, actually. I don't know the politics of why they retold the previous 2 movies in the first place but one of the more more likely reasons is because not every fan is able to watch said movies so Toei doesn't wanna leave everyone behind and clueless.
Because Toriyama wanted people to know the stories of those movies without actually buying the movies.
^^^^
I actually watched retellings before the movies and I think it has been pointed multiple times that retellings fit super’s narrative much better than the movies.
We knew the premise of the new movie for months, so not sure what's up the snarky 'shock'. Plus, the overall fanbase don't give a flying monkey about any race outside the Saiyans. Just look at Xenoverse.

From my understanding, this has become a trend in Japan with Boruto doing the same thing. Namely, the manga and I think the anime retells the Boruto movie. Which makes sense since movies or OVAs retelling story arc was quite common.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Gohan123
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gohan123 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:27 am

There Toei reaction Dragon Ball Super episode 130 to Mexico

https://mobile.twitter.com/ToeiAnimatio ... 3503399937

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:31 am

HeroR wrote:
Hawk9211 wrote:Oh,wow.A movie revolving around the underrated saiyans.Glad,they got some much needed focus.
HeroR wrote:
Because Toriyama wanted people to know the stories of those movies without actually buying the movies.
^^^^
I actually watched retellings before the movies and I think it has been pointed multiple times that retellings fit super’s narrative much better than the movies.
We knew the premise of the new movie for months, so not sure what's up the snarky 'shock'. Plus, the overall fanbase don't give a flying monkey about any race outside the Saiyans. Just look at Xenoverse.

From my understanding, this has become a trend in Japan with Boruto doing the same thing. Namely, the manga and I think the anime retells the Boruto movie. Which makes sense since movies or OVAs retelling story arc was quite common.
I know doesn’t mean I will ever put up with it and why would the audience give a damn about other races when the story doesn’t?
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

Kenneth La Torre
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:32 am

Gohan123 wrote:There Toei reaction Dragon Ball Super episode 130 to Mexico

This was to be expected.

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Post by Professor Freeza » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:37 am

In other words, they want money from the house government and then toei will make it official

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:13 am

Knew it couldn't be official when the politician guy posted a fanart to talk about the exhibition.
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:19 am

Alright I haven't been around for a while, you know, avoiding spoilers for at least 2 episodes once in my life..
Somebody let me know the details of this movie thingy, if possible please give the details in.. detail..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:21 am

Ki Breaker wrote:Alright I haven't been around for a while, you know, avoiding spoilers for at least 2 episodes once in my life..
Somebody let me know the details of this movie thingy, if possible please give the details in.. detail..
Read the main page, it has basically everything.
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

Pannaliciour
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pannaliciour » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:30 am

Do we have any prove besides the spoilers that Goku will in indeed lose? By losing I mean teleported next to his friends on the bench.

Because maybe:

The spoilers are wrong? Happend before.

The spoilers want us to believe Goku will lose?

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:41 am

Pannaliciour wrote:Do we have any prove besides the spoilers that Goku will in indeed lose? By losing I mean teleported next to his friends on the bench.

Because maybe:

The spoilers are wrong? Happend before.

The spoilers want us to believe Goku will lose?
Could be, i would sure hope so! But it doesn’t seem likely they’d straight up lie to us.

Pannaliciour
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pannaliciour » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:49 am

Some spoilers also mentioned that 17 will be back. And that Jiren would hit Goku with a full power fist in episode 129, but that never happend.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:14 am

Pannaliciour wrote:Some spoilers also mentioned that 17 will be back. And that Jiren would hit Goku with a full power fist in episode 129, but that never happend.
17 being back was never mentioned in spoilers, but we had some speculation going on because a magazine (I think) mentioned how the final fight had Goku, Freeza and 17 against Jiren, without mentioning Vegeta who outlasted 17.
The full power fist sort of happened in 129, but Goku wasn't hit with the full force of it because he shielded himself with the Kamehameha.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:28 am

Toei really is brilliant in how they release spoilers and word spoilers.

People think they are giving away the ending, but "releasing spoilers" gives them an opportunity to either gauge reactions beforehand or use spoilers to mislead and surprise.

The more I thought about it, the more I started to realize what's actually being said.

And I believe Toei is way too smart to just have MUI Goku lose after all the hype, or reveal such a big secret for its season finale just like that weeks before

I think they are purposely trying to take us down one road, so they can surprise the shit out of us if/when Goku wins. It will be like a huge relief of joy after having first assumed the worst
Last edited by ZenkaiBoosts on Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:36 am

Kind of puts a small damper on the whole thing hype-wise, but I understand the reaction. I have no idea of the scale of this event, but I suppose Toei should still have a say when it comes to such things. God forbid something happened during one of these screenings and then Toei/DB would automatically be associated with it.
What I don't understand, however, is this "legal platform" statement. Isn't DBS available on Crunchyroll/Daisuki worldwide? Why would they assume they'd use a non-official source for it?

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:48 am

Michsi wrote:

Kind of puts a small damper on the whole thing hype-wise, but I understand the reaction. I have no idea of the scale of this event, but I suppose Toei should still have a say when it comes to such things. God forbid something happened during one of these screenings and then Toei/DB would automatically be associated with it.
What I don't understand, however, is this "legal platform" statement. Isn't DBS available on Crunchyroll/Daisuki worldwide? Why would they assume they'd use a non-official source for it?
Because people at the event could be illegally recording and then illegal upload

Plus to the peoples or estabmishments screening, it's them being able to broadcast to as many people as possible with no fees or compensation to Toei

For example when a bar pays to broadcast a UFC PPV, that one bar site could pay a licensing fee of..let's say 5k or 10k...and that covers every one who would be coming to watch in that bar...plus for every person that comes to the bar, they will likely spend money at the bar etc. The bar can still cover costs and attract more people. UFC still gets a compensation fee despite losing out on lots of individual sales. The bars will pay UFC a lot more for that right

Toei should work out a deal with all the major places screening 130

Have them pay a fee for rights to broadcast.

Use opportunity to also promote and gain more exposure. Makes Toei look good and they still see money out of it.

It's better then to completely shut it down and get nothing out of it but bad press for shutting down a huge organized event(S)
Last edited by ZenkaiBoosts on Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mercenary
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mercenary » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:49 am

Toriyama once said that he would like Vegeta to play the main role in the upcoming movie. That's the perfect opportunity considering that movie is whole about Saiyans and Vegeta is really devoted to that whole Saiyan Race talk.

Goku hogged the spotlight in the TOP and got the most powerful transformation we've ever seen, so now it's Vegeta time to shine!

Aman

Post by Aman » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:51 am

Mercenary wrote:Toriyama once said that he would like Vegeta to play the main role in the upcoming movie. That's the perfect opportunity considering that movie is whole about Saiyans and Vegeta is really devoted to that whole Saiyan Race talk.

Goku hogged the spotlight in the TOP and got the most powerful transformation we've ever seen, so now it's Vegeta time to shine!
Resurrection of F was Vegeta's main role.

AT is a troll =\

Mercenary
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mercenary » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:55 am

Aman wrote:
Mercenary wrote:Toriyama once said that he would like Vegeta to play the main role in the upcoming movie. That's the perfect opportunity considering that movie is whole about Saiyans and Vegeta is really devoted to that whole Saiyan Race talk.

Resurrection of F was Vegeta's main role.

AT is a troll =\
I know he meant ROF but we all saw how it looked like.

Vegeta was fighting weakened Frieza and still couldn't get the job done. If that's the "main role" in AT opinion, then I am not surprised why Goku can't win a major fight in DBS.

Looks like Pokémon creators share a similar opinion, lol.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:05 am

Sandubadear wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote:Alright I haven't been around for a while, you know, avoiding spoilers for at least 2 episodes once in my life..
Read the main page, it has basically everything.
Oh I know about that, I was looking for details not yet 100% confirmed if there are any..

On topic, I have some doubts, This paragraph by Toriyama is pretty interesting

The fact is, while I’m just as busy as ever, as long as I’m not doing a serial, I have plenty of free time to think about the animated version, which I was completely hands-off about before.

So, this confirms Toriyama wasn't paying attention to the anime whatsoever? Or in an amount that actually matters?

As for Toyo's manga, Toriyama isn't exactly sure if it's gonna be different, so does that mean Toyo has more freedom on the manga now?
Last edited by Ki Breaker on Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

kn83
Banned

Post by kn83 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:07 am

perucho1990 wrote:Just noticed that if Freeza gets his wish, then 17 will remain dead.....
They could always just use the Namek dragonballs