Super Episode 130 (18 March 2018)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Super Episode 130 (18 March 2018)

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:02 pm

Kaiosama wrote:Vegeta has officially been surpassed in importance in the series by Frieza and 17. Who would have thought.
Yeah, this is like the biggest "fuck you" to those who say Dragon Ball is all about Saiyans and only Saiyans can do anything. In our top three we have Goku (using a form that has nothing to do with Super Saiyan), Freeza and ANDROID 17!!! I had high hopes for Gohan, but I'll take this outcome.

This was such a dumb episode, but such a gloriously animated, over-the-top cheesy type of dumb that I couldn't help but love it. What little dialogue there was between Goku and Jiren was glurgy Power of Friendship waffle straight out of a bad Persona 4 spinoff but I don't care. Jiren trying to attack the stands filled with Goku's friends (and several high-ranking deities that could squash him for pulling that shit) in a fit of petulance made no sense but I don't care! Goku's power overloading and needing to be saved by Freeza and ANDROID 17 OUTTA NOWHERE MADE NO SENSE BUT I DON'T CARE BECAUSE THIS IS THE BEST KIND OF FANSERVICEY JUNK FOOD WITH ANIMATION THAT RIVALS THE MOVIES. AND WE'RE NOT EVEN GETTING TAKAHASHI UNTIL NEXT WEEK.

This is probably the best approach they could've taken. The arc has so many problems that are too ingrained now to fix up in the space of two episodes. I think it's for the best that they don't bother trying and instead go balls to the wall and lean into the strengths, which are good-looking fights, fun teamups and WWE character motivations and twists.
Last edited by Kataphrut on Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chickensguys
Not-So-Newbie

Post by chickensguys » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:03 pm

I say this knowing the hype I am experiencing right now but I think this might be the greatest episode of dragon ball ever.

The fact No.17 is still in it is bullshit though. I originally thought it was a trick he killed himself since Zeno didn't take action but as time went on, it didn't match his character to be gone for that long.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:03 pm

Easily one of the best episodes of Super. I just can't believe they kept that plot twist of 17 still being alive so well hidden. Even those episode summaries didn't spoil it.

I've got to hand it to Toriyama, he can still provide a good plot twist in the end.

Turambar
Beyond Newbie

Post by Turambar » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:06 pm

..........and that is why Dragon Ball is the best Shounen anime of all time.

Namz
Beyond Newbie

Post by Namz » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:06 pm

precita wrote:Easily one of the best episodes of Super. I just can't believe they kept that plot twist of 17 still being alive so well hidden. Even those episode summaries didn't spoil it.

I've got to hand it to Toriyama, he can still provide a good plot twist in the end.
The spoilers actually not spoiling it was a trump card. One would have thought that something important as 17 should come in the spoilers, so nobody expected this.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:07 pm

This episode was amazing and I just love this episode. This fight is my favorite of all of Super. I love how Andriod 17 is still alive and ready to fight Jiren in the next episode. Tate, Manabe, and Shida did great work and the visuals. I'm surprised that Goku is still in the ring but I don't care. I just can't wait for the last episode of Super.
Rating: 10 out of 10
Last edited by majinwarman on Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:07 pm

Well people wanted Jiren to have a bit more character. Triggered PTSD, hatred for trust and friendship, saying he will destroy what Goku believes in, actively trying to murder all of Team 7 despite being a hero yet not happy about winning becuase Goku's burned out were some very nice touch's to his character I think.

Xehanort

Post by Xehanort » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:08 pm

I have to agree with the animation comments here, it was absolutely phenomenal! I was completely absorbed watching the fight, it was amazing. And that ending caught me by surprise, I was not expecting 17 to be alive and I really thought Frieza would come out of nowhere and eliminate either tired Goku or tired Jiren. Touché, Super :thumbup:
"I think it's only fair that I should warn you guys. You dont stand a chance against me.", Future Trunks

lancerman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by lancerman » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:08 pm

This is the best animated fight in the Dragon Ball franchise. Make of that what you will.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:09 pm

That's gotta be the best episode of the whole franchise. I really wouldn't know what else beats. Episode 110 was damn good and one of the best but this was even better than that.

lancerman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by lancerman » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:09 pm

Lord Frieza wrote:Well people wanted Jiren to have a bit more character. Triggered PTSD, hatred for trust and friendship, saying he will destroy what Goku believes in, actively trying to murder all of Team 7 despite being a hero yet not happy about winning becuase Goku's burned out were some very nice touch's to his character I think.
Yeah people can't complain about Jiren not having a character anymore.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:10 pm

I’m somewhat split on this episode. On the one hand, the fight was great. On the other hand, I’m not a big fan of them going through the whole “power of friendship” trope. That’s way too cliche for a shonen series. It also makes me dislike the decision to give Jiren the kind of backstory that they gave him even more. Also, while I had a hunch that they would go that route, I’m not a fan of the reveal that 17 survived. It not only takes away from the impact that his “sacrifice” was meant to have, but it also makes the situation seem less dire than it probably should be.

Regardless of my opinion on the episode however, I am still looking forward to the conclusion to this arc, and an idea of what to expect from the upcoming movie.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:10 pm

lancerman wrote:
Lord Frieza wrote:Well people wanted Jiren to have a bit more character. Triggered PTSD, hatred for trust and friendship, saying he will destroy what Goku believes in, actively trying to murder all of Team 7 despite being a hero yet not happy about winning becuase Goku's burned out were some very nice touch's to his character I think.
Yeah people can't complain about Jiren not having a character anymore.
Jiren is starting to grow on me!
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:11 pm

U11 is getting a free pass everytime. They should have been disqualified ages ago when Toppo became a legit GoD and tried erasing everyone in a "No GoDs Allowed" Tournament.

Now Jiren desperately tried attacking the stands and got no punishment.

Bias I'm telling you.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:12 pm

Namz wrote:
precita wrote:Easily one of the best episodes of Super. I just can't believe they kept that plot twist of 17 still being alive so well hidden. Even those episode summaries didn't spoil it.

The spoilers actually not spoiling it was a trump card. One would have thought that something important as 17 should come in the spoilers, so nobody expected this.
One of them did mention 17 but everyone wrote it off as a mistake. Turns out it wasn't!

Dylanrockin
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Dylanrockin » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:13 pm

This is the first time, throughout all of DBS that I can say, safely, that I think the 2 week wait was worth.

I came. Nuff said.

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Post by ToshioWrites » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:14 pm

Xeogran wrote:U11 is getting a free pass everytime. They should have been disqualified ages ago when Toppo became a legit GoD and tried erasing everyone in a "No GoDs Allowed" Tournament.

Now Jiren desperately tried attacking the stands and got no punishment.

Bias I'm telling you.
Toppo didn't become an official GoD so its not against the rules and he clearly trained for the position so the hakai power made sense.

As far as jiren attacking the stands, yeah he probably would should have been erased going off the frost precedent but when you have two kids who scream "doki doki, waku waku" all the time, you can't expect consistency

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by HybridSaiyan » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:16 pm

Now this episode just had everything ! the animation and fighting choreography surpassed that of even Z's best. The only thing that It was missing was the blood, but my god. Super delivered on the finale. I haven't been this intrigued by a super fight since the Goku and Gohan spar.

I was super sure of myself that Frieza betrayed Goku, but damn the aftereffects of Ultra Instinct eh? Maybe they could write this In as to why Goku never uses it anymore. Like EOZ and GT?

Kaiosama
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kaiosama » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:18 pm

Kataphrut wrote:
Kaiosama wrote:Vegeta has officially been surpassed in importance in the series by Frieza and 17. Who would have thought.
Yeah, this is like the biggest "fuck you" to those who say Dragon Ball is all about Saiyans and only Saiyans can do anything. In our top three we have Goku (using a form that has nothing to do with Super Saiyan), Freeza and ANDROID 17!!! I had high hopes for Gohan, but I'll take this outcome.

This was such a dumb episode, but such a gloriously animated, over-the-top cheesy type of dumb that I couldn't help but love it. What little dialogue there was between Goku and Jiren was glurgy Power of Friendship waffle straight out of a bad Persona 4 spinoff but I don't care. Jiren trying to attack the stands filled with Goku's friends (and several high-ranking deities that could squash him for pulling that shit) in a fit of petulance made no sense but I don't care! Goku's power overloading and needing to be saved by Freeza and ANDROID 17 OUTTA NOWHERE MADE NO SENSE BUT I DON'T CARE BECAUSE THIS IS THE BEST KIND OF FANSERVICEY JUNK FOOD WITH ANIMATION THAT RIVALS THE MOVIES. AND WE'RE NOT EVEN GETTING TAKAHASHI UNTIL NEXT WEEK.

This is probably the best approach they could've taken. The arc has so many problems that are too ingrained now to fix up in the space of two episodes. I think it's for the best that they don't bother trying and instead go balls to the wall and lean into the strengths, which are good-looking fights, fun teamups and WWE character motivations and twists.
I think it's good. I'm tired of Vegeta being pushed so much just for the sake of having someone who can keep up with Goku, despite being a bland character. He was rewarded far too much in this tournament for his pride. 17 and Frieza are far more interesting characters. This was an excellent decision by Toriyama and Toei. No more contrived Vegeta BS. Hopefully they continue this trend moving forward. :D

8bitdee
Not-So-Newbie

Post by 8bitdee » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:18 pm

WittyUsername wrote:On the other hand, I’m not a big fan of them going through the whole “power of friendship” trope. That’s way too cliche for a shonen series.
It's not too cliche for a shounen series when 99% of shounen is all about "teaching" that lesson. That's like complaining that a horror film has a scene that takes place in the dark.

Anyway, this is why I stay away from spoilers. Because regardless of how simple the plot is, the series still manages to hook me with twists. I thought at first it was Frieza who had attacked Goku and was about to question him being strong enough to damage UI-Goku. I didn't expect Goku's body to nearly explode as a side-effect of mastering UI.
And while I kept waiting for Frieza to pop up, I did not see Android popping up as well. I literally did a hop on my chair and held on to the armrests from excitement.

If I had read spoilers, I probably wouldn't have been as excited during those scenes. Fun as hell episode.