Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:50 am

LMAO, I did say the evil saiyan in the teaser looked like Broly but this is going too far. Seems like this movie not gonna be ROF 2 but Broly 4, after all. :lol:
Can't wait to hear Goku saying he looks like Kale, because that will definitely happen. :lol:

In all seriousness, this can turn out to be really good but like always, it depends on the execution. Goku Black and Freeza returning in Universe Survival arc are the best newer examples. Two ideas that looked a disaster on paper turn out to be really good, especially in the anime.

Now that Broly is confirmed, the chances of Gogeta appearing based in the 3 remastered movies coming to US theaters, is really high. They choose those 3 in particular for some reason. We already have Broly, Freeza, it's gonna be a story about the Saiyans, Bardock may appear even if it's just in flashbacks and now from Fusion Reborn, they will most likely use Gogeta.

With they not even hiding the fact that the movie will have a lot of fanservice, SSB Gogeta vs Broly may actually happen.
Budokai 3 intro predicted something like this would happen one day.

The poster looks amazing!! It may actually be my favourite DB movie poster ever. Gorgeous colors, cool artstyle and great composition!
I like how only full-blooded saiyans are on it and there's no signal of Freeza or his soldiers that gives me ROF 2 vibes.

Also, I'm glad to know Sumitomo will be the composer. He improved a lot during DBS and did a lot of cool stuff. I'm expecting some new gems.
Cetra wrote:So could Toei's sentence when they made Vegeta refer to Kale's form as that was some kind of true/original nature of a Super Saiyajin have been a hint because at this point they knew the story already and because Broly will be in a "Saiyajin origins story"? I really wonder.
That line was definitely thinking about this. When you look back to Super, Broly return seems unavoidable:
- FT Trunks arc: FT Trunks SS Ikari looked like Broly in the beginning.
- Universe Survival arc: Introduction of Kale - Universe 6 "Broly".
- Vegeta sees the form and comments that.
- The movie is confirmed to take place after TOP. Now we gonna have U7 Broly in the main story.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:06 am

Champa The Destroyer wrote:
sunsetshimmer wrote:When you think DBS can't get any worse.

Broly is coming.

When you think GT can't get any worse.

"Super" 17 is coming.

Honestly I have mixed feelings about this. I think that Toriyama has a chance to make Broly an interesting character, but if he's anything like current Broly then it will be terrible. Plus the name "Dragon Ball Super: Broly" is a terrible name and is easily the worst title out of all the Dragon Ball films.
Arcs of Android 17 being main villain: 0
Movies of Android 17 being main villain: 0
Android 17 copies in GT: 0
Super 17's apperance in games: mediocre

Arcs of Broly being main villain: 0
Movies of Broly being main villain: 5 (including 4D)
Broly copies in DBS: 1
Broly's appearance in games: every possible game, even Attack on Saiyans

See difference?
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Nineteen
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nineteen » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:07 am

I'm happier with Broly coming back than I ever was with Freeza's return.

This is the first time Broly has 'existed' in Toriyama's canon; for all intents and purposes movies 8/10/11 may as well not exist. So Broly is tantamount to a new character being introduced in-universe, even if that's obviously not true in reality. He actually has a ton of potential and a terrific visual design - he just needs a solid plot through and characterization to go with them.

Freeza returning, meanwhile, has never sat well with me, and still doesn't, and particularly not the total asspull about his power. The Namek filler totally burned me out on him; I care almost as little for Freeza now because of his overexposure as I do Vegeta. That's fanservice to an extent Broly could never hope to match.

I'd be completely fine with revamping and canonizing a lot of Toei conceps, like Uiro and Turles and Janemba or Baby and the Shadow Dragons from GT. Broly isn't very high up the list of characters I'd like to see get that treatment, but it beats, say, Lord Slug. And this opens up the possibility that an actually interesting concept (again, like Janemba or the Shadow Dragons) might be brought back and improved.
Last edited by Nineteen on Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Gero: I cleared the area of innocents, in accordance with your wishes. Do you disagree with my methods?
Goku: Grr...leave these people out of this!
Android 19: There are no people left to leave out.

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragono » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:11 am

sunsetshimmer wrote:
Champa The Destroyer wrote:
sunsetshimmer wrote:When you think DBS can't get any worse.

Broly is coming.

When you think GT can't get any worse.

"Super" 17 is coming.

Honestly I have mixed feelings about this. I think that Toriyama has a chance to make Broly an interesting character, but if he's anything like current Broly then it will be terrible. Plus the name "Dragon Ball Super: Broly" is a terrible name and is easily the worst title out of all the Dragon Ball films.
Arcs of Android 17 being main villain: 0
Movies of Android 17 being main villain: 0
Android 17 copies in GT: 0
Super 17's apperance in games: mediocre

Arcs of Broly being main villain: 0
Movies of Broly being main villain: 5 (including 4D)
Broly copies in DBS: 1
Broly's appearance in games: every possible game, even Attack on Saiyans

See difference?
bi o broly was not broly

Low Tone G
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Low Tone G » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:14 am

Now then....
Let me get this strait for everyone!

This movie it's gonna be the best DB movie ever!
I don't like Broly, but this movie's concept is too grandious to be a let down, it's almost impossible. We all knew within that Broly can and will become a part of Toriyama's story at some point after having Kale to appear.

But, in the same time, it's lazy as F*CK. From a comercial standpoint it's a very wise pull, but I really don't want Broly to be THE final villain!

I really wonder how long this could possibly be to explore all the conceps that Toriyama mentions? I really feel it to be longer than 2 hours...
English is not my first language!
I'm still waiting for Dragon Ball in Super...

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragono » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:18 am

A Man named RJ wrote:So I notice if i point out that this is just a lazy cashgrab and present my wishes for new, inventive content no matter how constructive. Blind fanboys will tell me to "CRY MORE" They'd rather attack the fans that want to see the franchgise shine, then contribute to the franchise improving with new and cool ideas moving forward.

Every single day I grow to hate this fandom more and more. And it's usually the filthy casuals. The people who think color-sampling the orange bricks makes it look like the "Original DBZ"

Heres a comment I left on the topic in response to their bullshit:

The net result now is more series being made to pander to a specific audience over concocting a good or inventive story with good animation. Gone are the glory days of the late 80s and mid 1990s Anime will never see a period of that much passion again. You're never gonna get another Evangelion, or a 100 + episode series of ova like Legend of the Galactic heroes. Gone are the existential films of Satoshi Kon, and Mamoru Oshii.

So dragon ball has a rich magical lore. Its very foundation just screams creativity. So why just rehash the same concepts over and over again? Fans will enjoy it anyway, so why not produce new content? I'm Sick of Dragon ball just lazily rehashing old ideas for the sake of cash-grab fan-service and wish for it to conquer new, amazing horizons. But white-knights like yourself would much rather attack frustrated fans who point this out, rather than actually try to encourage the production of new, creative content from the series staff.

You dont care about the product. You just blindly consume for nostalgia's sake. And studios will keep doing just that. This is the death-cry of this franchise. And you let it happen.
This is why exactly why fandoms gatekeep. Nostalgia and normies kills every franchise it gets it dirty paws on, and it just so happens we have a fandom of people who think making "DA NEXT STRONG HYPE BEAST VILLAIN" is actually a replacement for good writing, and a strong base. Point this out and "OHH BUT DRAGON BALL HAS NEVER HAD GOOD WRITING, SO WHY CARE NOW THAT BETTER PRODUCTS EXIST TO COMPETE WITH IT?" No other industry on earth can get away with stagnation outside of anime and video-games, and thats because these awful fans would rather get pissed on for their alliances than pursue a good product. And studios realize this, and take advantage of it every. single. Time.
Can you argue using this marketing wise because Rof made more money than BoG, numbers don't lie.

Toriyama even admitted that its fanservice pandering and most intelligent people know it is.

also thats bullshit, star wars literally rehashed the new hope and made 2 billion dollars so i don't want hear it.

Nineteen
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nineteen » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:21 am

Dragono wrote:Toriyama even admitted that its fanservice pandering and most intelligent people know it is.
Yes, but - here's the kicker - so was Golden Freeza. That's even more egregious, in fact, since at least this will be Broly's first appearance in the official canon.

And it ought to be handled that way. No little nods or knowing winks to his other appearances should be made. It ought to be a complete reboot of the character. No Paragus, no crying. Keep the name and the design and nothing else. It should, and I think will, be handled more like a character reset in Western comics than anything else.
Dr. Gero: I cleared the area of innocents, in accordance with your wishes. Do you disagree with my methods?
Goku: Grr...leave these people out of this!
Android 19: There are no people left to leave out.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:28 am

I am honestly very happy we are getting Toriyama's version of Broly, and I have faith in his version of the character. I expected something different, but it's definitely better than getting an evil Saiyan similar to Broly but who is not Broly. At least this time it will be straightforward - the Legendary Super Saiyan, but rebooted.
It will also give some insight into Kale's berseker form, which we now almost nothing about except that it buffs Kale up, turns her hair green and makes her mad and uncontrollable.
I am also glad we are finally getting a canonical version of the character. It was inevitable, considering how popular Broly is, so at least after this movie is over they will finally be able to move forward from Broly's character. If they also include Bardock and Gogeta in this movie, I wouldn't mind. Some fans will continue to ask about this specific 3 characters so including all of them in the movie will surely fill it with fanservice, but at least we can expect it to be GOOD fanservice, as Toriyama will be behind it and won't probably rehash the same lines and everything else from this characters, but just use their concept and expand upon them.
I'm not against this fanservice though, as long as it is executed well. So I hope Nagamine, who will storyboard the movie, won't include lots of references to the old movies. At least, not 100% copies. If we saw Broly using the same exact moves from the movies but from different angles I wouldn't mind it.

As for the poster, it looks stunning. There is so much character just in the expressions, and the colors and auras are perfect too!
It looks nostalgic yet modern, and as Ajay pointed out in his video they are also using a technique to make the shading feel cel-like, which is quite awesome. My dream has always been of modern Dragon Ball looking modern, yet having something from the 90s in terms of artstyle and coloring and it seems like this movie is doing exactly that.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:30 am

For me it was getting used to the idea as well. As soon as i saw the poster, i knew it wasn't fake. The artwork was clearly Shintani's. So i swicthed to positive mode and what the movie could actually bring us. Just some thoughts:

- Explaining his past and adding different layers to Brolys character, could make him quite intresting. The shorter movies didn't lend to huge characterization. Toriyama bending on it an make his story less generic, will completely change our perception of the character.

- Broly lends himself to be a tragic character. He has become evil, but only because of the circumstances. A tragic ending for instance could be: Broly gets killed in the final battle, but at the very end he admits his mistakes, with Goku actually getting remorse for (helping) killing him.

- I like the idea the movie is exploring the more recent past: the origin of the Saiyans we know now (Goku, Vegeta ...) and their fathers and how they relate to each other. Partially dissapointed they are probably not going to do Yamoshi, but it's interesting to say the least we get to know more about the past of the characters we know best.

- There might be still a chance, although the movie is about Broly and there is going to be a battle against him, that the final big villain of the movie isn't Brolly, but some puppet master behind the screens (that controls Broly?). I think it's a really so obvious the movie is about Broly as a a bad guy, so there could still be some antagonist hiding behind the wall as a surprise.

- It'll be intresting to see how the interaction between Broly and Goku, Vegeta and ... yes, Freeza will occur.

- Trunks will apparently be in the movie as well? Looking forward how they'll incorporate him.

- It'll be fun to see some scenes of the original Broly coming back, giving a wink to the older fans.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:35 am

Rest in peace, Bin Shimada and Vic Mignogna's vocal cords.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:41 am

I woke up to this news, I've been stewing over it all day at work and now I don't even know what to say. Weirdly enough, the first thing I pictured was of AnimeAjay doing the Obi-Wan "YOU WERE THE CHOSEN ONE" from Revenge of the Sith, but he was cautiously optimistic in his video.

You know, I wasn't really excited about this movie to begin with. The art and animation looked cool, but the idea of doing a Saiyan backstory flick did nothing for me. And while I'm tempted to wheel out the usual line that all the parts of Super that seemed like they would be bad ideas turned out fine or even great (Goku Black, Kale, Freeza returning, Kefla, etc), it's gotten to a point where it's hard to get enthusiastic about old ideas being rehashed, even if the execution turns out fine. Plus against better judgement, I actually saw potential in ideas like a Freeza return, an evil Goku or even a female alt-universe Broly. I legitimately can't see the potential in a Broly reboot because it feels like it crossed the line into naked cash grab.

Especially since the foundations for the series laid out in Battle of Gods are ripe for new concepts that have only been semi-realised. It's like Toriyama used up all his leftover creativity turning Beerus from a bog-standard movie villain into an iconic complex anti-villain (who is also his pet cat) and everything since then has just been "the staff suggested this," "I watched this thing," or "MORE TOURNAMENTS."

SonReggie
Beyond Newbie

Post by SonReggie » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:45 am

I wonder whether we'll see Ultra-Instinct again.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:38 am

Kanassa wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Kanassa wrote:Alright, so going off the other examples of Super... Broly's gonna be amazing and the best part of the film? Alright. I can dig it.
Glad to see you remained positive. :D

I'm not a fan of Broly, but I'm interested in the changes Toriyama made in him. I mean, I'm one of the people who liked what Super did with Kale. At the very least, I can't see them doing any worst than, 'Broly triggered over a crying baby as a newborn'.
I'm just saying, Super has a record for 'The things fans cry out is bad fanfiction and would never work becomes the part that is genuinely agreed to be the best part'
JazzMazz wrote: Well, there was thought and effort placed into the how those tournaments were going to play out, and how the production was going to handle that.

Nakamura and Takami's interview about the universal survival arc more than demonstrates that there was indeed a great amount of thought and care placed into creating the TOP and I think it goes into a lot of depth about how and why they handled things the way they did.
I'd say details such as Goku re-enacting his fight with Grandpa Gohan and the parallel to Trunks getting killed by Cell in the Future Trunks Sagais a good indication that there is care there no matter if you like or dislike it.
What parallel?

And Super has a lot of care, despite what fans think. I mean, you don't get something like 42 from people who don't care. Heck, I would go as far as to say that GT also had a lot of care despite the questionable execution. The same goes with the Super manga despite my issues with Toyo.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:46 am

So what are we going to call this Broly?

We’ve already got:

Classic Broly
Bio-Broly
Xeno Broly
FemBroly/Kale

Since he’s finally broken into the second sphere of cannon, the tv series, specials and movies that seek to be part of or continue the story of the original manga, I suggest Shin (True) Broly.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:48 am

I think most of the negativity was before the quote from Toriyama, because a lot of people didn't know if this was supposed to be a new version of Broly or the other original one. The shock is wearing off and some are actually a little intrigued.

To be honest, if they were going for a plot that involves a berserker type saiayn, then it kinda makes sense that they'd choose Broly.

Looking at the bright side, now that expectations have dropped somewhat, it'll be easier for people to end up pleasantly surprised. The movie hype was reaching some pretty high highs.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:54 am

Lord Frieza wrote:So what are we going to call this Broly?

We’ve already got:

Classic Broly
Bio-Broly
Xeno Broly
FemBroly/Kale

Since he’s finally broken into the second sphere of cannon, the tv series, specials and movies that seek to be part of or continue the story of the original manga, I suggest Shin (True) Broly.
We'll get a new transformation soon enough to remember him with, if not and Goku and Vegeta still use blue against him, let's just call him Overpowered Broly
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:00 am

majinwarman wrote: I have the same opinion now that I have finally calm down. I'm interested to see how they are going to fix Broly now. I just hope the story makes sense and the visuals look good.
This is exactly why I never post when I have a bad first impression of something. I wait to cool off, to reassess and to see if more information comes out that changes the context of what I've seen. I'm glad I did this in the case of this movie's promotion, because I'd've been in here cursing up a storm otherwise haha.

One thing's for sure though, Takao Koyama is probably passed out in his bedroom with him and all his walls covered in white stuff after this news. I hope someone finds him before he dehydrates.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:01 am

Ki Breaker wrote:
Lord Frieza wrote:So what are we going to call this Broly?

We’ve already got:

Classic Broly
Bio-Broly
Xeno Broly
FemBroly/Kale

We'll get a new transformation soon enough to remember him with, if not and Goku and Vegeta still use blue against him, let's just call him Overpowered Broly
Or we call this Broly, Super Saiyan Berserk Broly and just keeping calling the other Broly, Legendary Super Saiyan Broly.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:03 am

The thing I don't understand is that when people first saw this new Saiyan they were all hyped about it but then they learned this Saiyan is actually a new version of Broly, they started complaining? I mean, wtf does that change if its Broly or Yamoshi or Cucumber? nothing at all. Its a strong Saiyan who needs to be defeated one way or another.
Last edited by BrolyKale on Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:03 am

Ki Breaker wrote:Just noticed, Broly has his tail intact..Oozaru Broly?

Just what we needed, a legendary Super Saiyan going Great ape
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
I think you mean...