Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by supersaiyanZero » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:22 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
supersaiyanZero wrote:Wow. The current state of this franchise and the fans it currently panders to is a travesty.
It’s the west’s fault for liking Broly too much.
Then how do you explain the travesty that was Super?

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:22 pm

supersaiyanZero wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
supersaiyanZero wrote:Wow. The current state of this franchise and the fans it currently panders to is a travesty.
It’s the west’s fault for liking Broly too much.
Travesty where?
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:24 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
supersaiyanZero wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote: It’s the west’s fault for liking Broly too much.
Travesty where?
He meant Kale, that's rude.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:27 pm

BrolyKale wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
supersaiyanZero wrote:
Travesty where?
I meant the majority of the thing. The extremely rushed schedule that was used as an excuse for its poor art & animation, the rehashed plot points, constant fan pandering at the cost of a cohesive narrative and originality, the complete mishandling of the entire cast save for Frieza, etc. What was once a charming battle shounen has become the McDonalds of anime.

To be fair though,this is a way better idea than Kale.
Last edited by supersaiyanZero on Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:29 pm

supersaiyanZero wrote:
BrolyKale wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote: Travesty where?
I meant the majority of the thing. The extremely rushed schedule that was used as an excuse for its poor art & animation, the rehashed plot points, constant fan pandering at the cost of a cohesive narrative and originality, the complete mishandling of the entire cast save for Frieza, etc. What was once a charming battle shounen has become the McDonalds of anime.
Dragon Ball has always been ‘McDonalds of anime‘ even at its peak. Especially if you compare Z to Dragon Ball.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

A Man named RJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by A Man named RJ » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:30 pm

Dragono wrote:
Toriyama even admitted that its fanservice pandering and most intelligent people know it is.

also thats bullshit, star wars literally rehashed the new hope and made 2 billion dollars so i don't want hear it.
Oh? And what about the RECENT 2 star wars films?
I am an Animator, Illustrator, and Voice Actor. Check out MY Animation Thesis! HERE

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:30 pm

HeroR wrote:
supersaiyanZero wrote:
BrolyKale wrote:He meant Kale, that's rude.
Dragon Ball has always been ‘McDonalds of anime‘ even at its peak. Especially if you compare Z to Dragon Ball.
Ok, so we went from McDonalds to TV dinners. Happy with that metaphor?

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:31 pm

HeroR wrote:
Mister_Popo wrote:I do hope the new title will not be just "Broly". The experienced DB-fans of course all know Broly. But what about the new crowd? A subtitle 'Broly' is rather weak.

Broly, the Legendary Saiyan
Broly, the ultimate adversary
The Legend of Broly

Just 'Broly' says nothing to the crowd that doesn't know Broly. It just isn't a great title at all. From a commercial standpoint it's not very smart. It doesn't say anything. I really hope they'll still slightly adapt that.
Even casuals know who Broly is thanks to being in video games.

In my country they even don't know who Goku or Vegeta is if i ask it to a foreigner in the street, let alone Broly. :lolno:

Nope, i'm all in for this project, i'm in for the revised Broly-story, i don't want to be negative at all, but i would strongly advise them to slightly adapt their subtitle, if their goal really is to aim at a broader audience.
That's all.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:33 pm

supersaiyanZero wrote:
HeroR wrote:
supersaiyanZero wrote:
Not really since I like Super a lot more than Z. Z storytelling after Namek wasn’t good since it depended too much on the cast being morons.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

IndieBooToo
Temporarily Banned

Post by IndieBooToo » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:39 pm

BrolyKale wrote:
You know who else they could do something interesting and exciting?

Someone completely new, and not even saiya-jin, you know, something that shows they can do something besides being stagnant.
This new Broly is a completely new character + this movie is about Saiyan's origins, and Broly will serve the story. Stop bashing Broly just because you don't like him, there's also Freezer in the movie, but people don't say anything about him being in the movie.
Maybe because Frieza was literally in the last arc and got revived or something.

IndieBooToo
Temporarily Banned

Post by IndieBooToo » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:41 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
IndieBooToo wrote:
Nineteen wrote:I enjoy seeing Vegeta cower before Broly, and I hope we get more of that. Broly might be a mediocre character, but it's completely worth it if it knocks vegetable head down a notch or two.
I hope Broly makes Vegeta cry like Frieza and Jiren made him cry.
I willing to BET Vegeta won’t get a worse thrashing than Freeza.
Jobgeta's tears will be delicious to see Shintani style.

A Man named RJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by A Man named RJ » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:43 pm

HeroR wrote:
supersaiyanZero wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Not really since I like Super a lot more than Z. Z storytelling after Namek wasn’t good since it depended too much on the cast being morons.
Vegeta retrogresses in character. Gohan is inconsistent. Roshi is turned into a rapist. Yamucha gets the world's most cynnically mean boot. Tien becomes a dojo......master for some reason. Goten and Trunks wont age for some reason, the timeline is completely fucked. Kuririn for some reason has PTSD when he KNOWS that death means nothing in this franchise. Trunks pulls spirit bomb swords out his ass. the time-lines are even more confusing, Beerus existing grants no weight to any conflict outside of Beerus himself. And every-thig is just fanservice.

Z's storytelling was the Lovevchild of Lovecraft, Orwell, TS Elliot, Shakespeare, Tolkien and Wu Cheng'en compared to this bullshit named Super. Super makes My Hero Academia, and Fairy Fail look good in comparison.
I am an Animator, Illustrator, and Voice Actor. Check out MY Animation Thesis! HERE

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:46 pm

Melkaniator wrote:
sintzu wrote:I have a question for everyone who're completely against this. If you're in charge of DB from a business standpoint and you know that people like certain concepts like Broly and you know Toriyama not only wants to do them but can also make them work, what would you do ? Keep in mind you're still going to get your new concepts mixed in liked Beerus, Hit, the pride troopers, etc.
Also, Akira wouldn't had wanted poop, he didn't even remember about Broly, so I wouldn't have mentioned him, and voila!
Exactly. If I were in charge, I wouldn't be suggesting concepts to Toriyama based on how popular or marketable they are.

It's not like Toriyama used Broly because he had some burning passion for the character. He was suggested to do it and decided to go along with it.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:47 pm

IndieBooToo wrote:
BrolyKale wrote:
You know who else they could do something interesting and exciting?

Someone completely new, and not even saiya-jin, you know, something that shows they can do something besides being stagnant.
This new Broly is a completely new character + this movie is about Saiyan's origins, and Broly will serve the story. Stop bashing Broly just because you don't like him, there's also Freezer in the movie, but people don't say anything about him being in the movie.
Maybe because Frieza was literally in the last arc and got revived or something.
Who cares? he is still there for fanservice, they could've bring someone else back than Freezer in the TOP if they really wanted to.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

dragon boss z
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by dragon boss z » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:48 pm

Do you guys think that we will see SSB kaikoen and Vegeta's powered up SSB form or do you think they will just stick with regular SSB in the movie?

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:50 pm

A Man named RJ wrote:
HeroR wrote:
supersaiyanZero wrote:
Vegeta retrogresses in character. Gohan is inconsistent. Roshi is turned into a rapist. Yamucha gets the world's most cynnically mean boot. Tien becomes a dojo......master for some reason. Goten and Trunks wont age for some reason, the timeline is completely fucked. Kuririn for some reason has PTSD when he KNOWS that death means nothing in this franchise. Trunks pulls spirit bomb swords out his ass. the time-lines are even more confusing, Beerus existing grants no weight to any conflict outside of Beerus himself. And every-thig is just fanservice.

Z's storytelling was the Lovevchild of Lovecraft, Orwell, TS Elliot, Shakespeare, Tolkien and Wu Cheng'en compared to this bullshit. Super makes My Hero Academia, and Fairy Fail look good in comparison.
Vegeta didn’t regressed at all and have you watched Dragon Ball with Roshi. Guy tried to feel on an unconscious girl. So why is Tien running a dojo bad? It’s an idea straight from Dragon Ball Online. So since death means nothing, Krillin shouldn’t be traumatized from actually dying, one where he was blown up from the inside out? And everything fan service is factually untrue for several dozen reasons. For one, if everything is fan service, why wasn’t Buu in the TOP over 17, who Buu stomps in popular polls.

Only if you have a very romantic view of Z, which stated the inconsistent writing with Gohan.
Kanassa wrote:

IndieBooToo
Temporarily Banned

Post by IndieBooToo » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:54 pm

BrolyKale wrote:
IndieBooToo wrote:
BrolyKale wrote:This new Broly is a completely new character + this movie is about Saiyan's origins, and Broly will serve the story. Stop bashing Broly just because you don't like him, there's also Freezer in the movie, but people don't say anything about him being in the movie.
Who cares? he is still there for fanservice, they could've bring someone else back than Freezer in the TOP if they really wanted to.
They couldn't. He was the man for the role. Him being in the movie makes sense since it literally takes place after ToP.

By your nonsensical logic Goku, Vegeta, Piccolo etc are in the movie for fanservice as well. Broly is just some random addition who wasn't canon until now.

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:57 pm

IndieBooToo wrote:
BrolyKale wrote:
IndieBooToo wrote:
They couldn't. He was the man for the role. Him being in the movie makes sense since it literally takes place after ToP.

By your nonsensical logic Goku, Vegeta, Piccolo etc are in the movie for fanservice as well. Broly is just some random addition who wasn't canon until now.
And is it bad that they bring Broly back as a new character? why are you crying? just because its Broly doesn't mean it will be something bad, he will be a completely new character, new personality (Toriyama said he updated him), new story (obviously they can't use the same story otherwise it wouldn't be canon), new motivation.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:03 pm

dragon boss z wrote:Do you guys think that we will see SSB kaikoen and Vegeta's powered up SSB form or do you think they will just stick with regular SSB in the movie?

I do hope, if Broly doesn't have God-Ki, which i suppose he doesn't have, they'll give some explaination how he could be off the bat stronger than Blue or even Blue Kaioken x 20, which would make Broly absurdly strong without any divine training.

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragono » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:18 pm

A Man named RJ wrote:
Dragono wrote:
Toriyama even admitted that its fanservice pandering and most intelligent people know it is.

also thats bullshit, star wars literally rehashed the new hope and made 2 billion dollars so i don't want hear it.
Oh? And what about the RECENT 2 star wars films?
Doesn't change the fact that the force awakens is the third highest grossing film of all time and its a rehash. But that still proves my point even more, the last jedi got hate from the star wars fandom because it fucked with Luke skywalker, aka they went against nostalgia and it bit them in the ass.

Look, you can't argue against this marketing wise, call it lazy, call it unoriginal but you can't argue against that it will make more money than any creative idea you can come up with it.

Case in point Rof being the best selling dragon ball movie.