DVD Release Date Projections...

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ben Plante
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

DVD Release Date Projections...

Post by Ben Plante » Sat May 15, 2004 7:27 pm

Ah, another moment of boredom before Jen decides what I'm doing tonight. Whuh-CH!

K, so we know the first of 5 GT 'Lost' eps is coming in July, the 6th Cell Games DVD is coming in August, as is the 9th Z movie. The Tenshinhan saga MIGHT be coming in September, which I think is a good bet, but Hell... it's FUNi.

Now, when 'I' think we'll get the other ones, and I'm describing them in worst case scenario, which is one release every so often, rather than coupling them:

-Rest of the Cell Games: By the end of the year, hopefully 'Nightmare's End' in November barring a delay. Or just their desire to be a jerk about it.

-Saiyaman: Logically, since they said we'd have them after the Cell Games discs were out, We'll have all 5 by July 2005, hopefully a bit earlier. If they couple these... which they really should... Perhaps March, or early April we'll have them all.

-'Lost' GT episodes: I would think they'd pump these out before this coming Christmas at the latest.

-GT TV Special: Hmm... Maybe following the 5th and last 'Lost' disc? January maybe?

-Pilaf Saga and DB Movie 1: I wouldn't hold my breathe. I'm thinking 2005, anytime, unless we're really lucky, then late this year. And regarding DB Movie 2, I don't understand why that hasn't been released for years, it was the first damn in house dub they did.

-Saiyan and Namek redubs/subs: Kami willing, by Fall 2005 we'll have all 67 originals. Not willing, we'll be buying them into 2006. Kami REALLY willing, they'll do a special type of release for them, putting a ton of eps per release like DB, considering it's a redub after all. In that unlikely event, I'd say they'd all be out by Summer 2005.

-Finally, Movies 10-13. What. The. Hell. Why. Is. This. So. God. Damn. Difficult? 2007 if we're lucky, 2009 if we're very unlucky, I would guess.

Flaws, misinterpretations? Read and comment. Now. NOW I said!
"Chrysanthemums will wither together with its leaves, lying beside the fiery eyes soaked with blood. Even then, your sublime status will never be shaken, even if only half of your limbs will remain. To increase the fascination within the drama, should the search for a new partner begin? If so, then head to the east. You will definitely meet the one who is waiting for you."

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Re: DVD Release Date Projections...

Post by PsyLiam » Sat May 15, 2004 8:15 pm

I'll do one of these:
Ben Plante wrote:-Finally, Movies 10-13. What. The. Hell. Why. Is. This. So. God. Damn. Difficult?
Because they don't have the rights. FUNi has to negotiate each movie individually with TOEI, which takes ages. Possibly even longer now that they're getting them to do new cover art.
Romana: "I don't think we should interfere."
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."
[i]-Doctor Who: Nightmare Of Eden[/i]

Ben Plante
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ben Plante » Sun May 16, 2004 4:04 am

That's right, I remember reading that.

Does that mean that fansubs of the unlicensed ones are legal? I'm not gonna buy fansubs of them (In fact, I think I have them from like 1999 when I was an elitest dick), I'll buy the discs whenever, I'm just wondering if that's a loophole fansubbies are gonna use.
"Chrysanthemums will wither together with its leaves, lying beside the fiery eyes soaked with blood. Even then, your sublime status will never be shaken, even if only half of your limbs will remain. To increase the fascination within the drama, should the search for a new partner begin? If so, then head to the east. You will definitely meet the one who is waiting for you."

tablet the eunuch
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by tablet the eunuch » Sun May 16, 2004 6:25 am

FUNimation actually do hold the license to everything Dragonball, including the movies. However, i would imagine it's materials and such that are being delayed from Toei, rather than FUNimation just sitting on their behinds with this one.

Yeah, saiyaman out right after cell.

Something got me thinking, with the eception of GT, DB and Z have all got delayed releases in certian sections where the Japanese release hasn't done (Tien, Movies, etc). Could it be Toei holding back proper materials?

I dunno :/

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Sun May 16, 2004 7:22 pm

Have they mentioned anything about releasing movies 10 and 11 simultaniously? Itd be great promotional wise, I think someone may have broughten that up before.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun May 16, 2004 7:29 pm

That WOULD be great promotion. It would also make me happier because I wouldn't want to wait two/three years between a Broly movie and a BAD Broly movie.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sun May 16, 2004 8:14 pm

Ben Plante wrote:Does that mean that fansubs of the unlicensed ones are legal? I'm not gonna buy fansubs of them (In fact, I think I have them from like 1999 when I was an elitest dick), I'll buy the discs whenever, I'm just wondering if that's a loophole fansubbies are gonna use.
Since the fansubbers have almost certainly not sent any money to TOEI for the rights to distribute DBZ in the US, I'd say...no.

It's not legal to distribute anything that you don't own. The difference between doing that for DBZ and some obscure anime that no-one has heard of is that the company that owns obscure anime that no-one's heard of isn't really going to be that bothered, in the unlikely event that they even hear about it.
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun May 16, 2004 8:28 pm

The only time selling a fansub would be legal would be if you resold your original copy, as you yourself own the original in that case. However, fansubbers wouldn't make profit that way, so they break the law by selling copies of their original.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.

Ben Plante
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ben Plante » Mon May 17, 2004 12:02 pm

Ah, I understand now. I was thinking in my usual 'loophole' mind frame.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Mon May 17, 2004 8:10 pm

Don't worry: it's only illegal if you sell fansubs. For money. At a profit. And get caught. Even then I'm still typing so that kinda indicates how strict they are. :D

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Mon May 17, 2004 8:30 pm

Well, no, it's illegal to sell fansubs at all, whether you make a profit on it or not. And things don't stop being illegal simply because you don't get caught.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Mon May 17, 2004 8:33 pm

Pff! Maybe in YOUR country....and mine...

tablet the eunuch
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by tablet the eunuch » Tue May 18, 2004 6:49 am

As a matter of fact, fansubs are just illegal to start off with. The only way you could possibly palm off legitimatley owning one is if you happen to make it from a copy you already own and translate it into your own language (german subbed .hack for R1 DVDs, or English subbed Mezzo DSA for R2 DVDs). That falls under fair use, and I don't even think we have that in Australia. Or was it America? I dunno.

ssjwill4

Post by ssjwill4 » Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:09 pm

What ever happened to those 2 episodes that were released as a Buger King promotion video. It was episodes 124-5 i think....it was right between the trunks and android sagas. I heard a long time ago (when planetnamek was still around) that they were going to be released along with the 3 episodes from the second trunks dvd. Does anyone know what happend to that?

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:51 pm

They are already on the second Trunks DVD, "Prelude to Terror".
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:57 pm

They reprinted the second Trunks DVD, and stuck them on it.

If you want them, you're better off checking the actual DVD yourself. If you can only see the front cover, then it'll have the new font and smaller "TWO LANGUAGES" splash that the current DVD releases have. Apart from that though, the two versions (with and without the extra two episodes) have the same name, same picture, and same listing on most web-sites.