Let me get this board rolling with an old-fashioned topic

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jan 12, 2004 4:43 pm

Gary wrote:Yeah I agree with you there Mike.. er.. VegettoEX.. can I call you Mike?? LOL..
Yes, you're more than welcome to call me Mike :P. I like to think I'm not one of those people that has a separate online persona... Mike is VegettoEX, and VegettoEX is Mike...

... no matter what my friends will lead you to believe. *shakes fist*
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:03 pm

I completely agree with you too VegettoEX! That's why my favourite saga besides the Freeza is the Saiyajin saga. At least everyone's there and they are treated with importance! Look, I think that Chibi Trunks and Goten are cute and I like them too, but let's face it, they were unaware, spoiled, and bratty when they were kids! Piccolo showed a lot of restraint only hitting them once. He should've smacked them 100 hundred times! He should've hit them everytime they started giving lip or not knowing enough to smarten up and get the job done! Heck! I wanted to smack them around for Piccolo on a few occasions! I'd like to see how long they would have lasted with Piccolo back in the days when he was training Gohan and before he had merged with Kami. As I said, they're funny and cute for a little while, but then it's really fatiguing. GT's worse! Oh yes! Let's forget about everybody except Goku, Trunks, and Pan. And let's make it even worse by making Goku a child again! Really smart thinking!

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:05 pm

Yeah, the Saiya-jin saga was one of my favorites, as well (in addition to being the first thing I "saw," it's got all the qualities you mentioned). Wanting to re-watch it is actually why I started buying the DBZ manga from Viz :P.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:09 pm

The blind kid that runs into Buu... That is my favourite part of DBZ.

Okay, truthfully it's Fat Buu, he's the one that made the scene what it is. Yeah... gotta love that pink bastard.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:28 pm

Yeah... gotta love that pink bastard.
Yes sweet scene. Even though he would end up killing the poor child later with everyone else on Earth as Super Buu. I also got a kick out of the scene where Fat Buu had built his house(out of people he had turned to clay I might add), and then it turned into this whole sick scene called "At Home With Majin Buu", with him stating what it was always time for. I felt like I was watching a twisted version of "Mr. Rogers". Man, that toilet scene! That was definitely more than I wanted to know. :shock: I feel sorry for people who only watched it on Cartoon Network, they missed quite the image!

Pancakes

Post by Pancakes » Mon Jan 12, 2004 7:43 pm

Jerseymilk wrote:
Yeah... gotta love that pink bastard.
Yes sweet scene. Even though he would end up killing the poor child later with everyone else on Earth as Super Buu. I also got a kick out of the scene where Fat Buu had built his house(out of people he had turned to clay I might add), and then it turned into this whole sick scene called "At Home With Majin Buu", with him stating what it was always time for. I felt like I was watching a twisted version of "Mr. Rogers". Man, that toilet scene! That was definitely more than I wanted to know. :shock: I feel sorry for people who only watched it on Cartoon Network, they missed quite the image!
I thought that one was great! :) I think the episode with the blind kid was just a filler, because we never see him again. I would like to know what happened to that little guy......

My fave characters would have to be: Mirai Trunks, Vegeta, and General Blue
Though I do have a soft spot for Goku, Yamcha, Chi-Chi, and Gohan :wink:

And my fave series would have to be either Cell, or the Red Ribbon in DragonBall, when Goku fights Muscle Tower

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:57 pm

Pancakes wrote:I thought that one was great! :) I think the episode with the blind kid was just a filler, because we never see him again. I would like to know what happened to that little guy......
Actually, that scene was in the manga, too. Seems very much like filler, though.

I wouldn't be surprised if that kid actually does have a little fanbase, since he's voiced by Megumi Hayashibara.

RatGoku

Post by RatGoku » Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:04 pm

Mine? Oh thank you for asking! Teen/Adult Gohan, or young Goku. Goku was such a potty mouth!
Hey look, it's a signature!

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:55 am

A quick question, since the always fun topic of "stupid Toriyama and him pooping on the humans" did come up: Does Lunch appear in the "Z" period of the Manga at all? And if not, is she even mentioned outside of Kuririn's "Oh, she went off looking for Tenshinhan a few years ago" comment in the first chapter?

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:06 am

I'm not sure about the Buu saga (where in the anime you see her donating some energy to the Genki-Dama), but in the Saiya-jin Saga, she's nowhere to be found.

I forget exactly which episode it is (it's the one where Vegeta's in the black sky powering up with the lightning and such), but in the anime there's that one scene of Lunch drinking herself stupid in a bar after finding out Tenshinhan's died in battle. That's not in the manga ^^.

XxShinGokuxX

Post by XxShinGokuxX » Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:23 am

Looks like the board is rolling lol wow good to see so many dbz fans makes me feel warm inside :oops:

Gary
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gary » Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:38 am

XxShinGokuxX wrote:Looks like the board is rolling lol wow good to see so many dbz fans makes me feel warm inside :oops:
Yeah it is definately nice to see. I thought the DBZ fan was a dying race.. o_0 Glad I was wrong. ^_^
Founder/Owner/Webmaster of [|[url=http://www.junk-anime.com/]Junk-Anime.com[/url]|]

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:05 am

Someone already said 'any Boo', but not one person said Kid Boo?

Yes, Kid Boo specifically is my favourite, and their's a good reason why. You'd probably expect me to say "Because he's the strongest villian, he roxxors! Lololl!!1" but that's only half why...

The reason why Kid Boo was the best villian (and my fave) in DBZ, is because he's Goku's complete opposite from Dragonball. Think about it; Dragonball was all about Goku as a little kid, and how he really made waves in the world because he was pure hearted and unbelievably strong. He wasn't out for conquest, wealth, or power. He just wanted to become the best he could and be a kid.

Well now Kid Boo is exactly the same...he looks, thinks, and acts just like a little kid. The only difference being is that he was pure evil, but at the same time he wasn't interested in conquest or wealth or anything like that. He just wanted to have fun (his idea of fun being mass murder and destruction...) AND, just like young Goku, he was just too damn powerful! Even at Super Saiyan 3, Goku simply could NOT overpower him!

I like to think Kid Boo was a great villian to wrap up DBZ because of that. Their's my two-cents. :D

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:57 am

VegettoEX wrote:I forget exactly which episode it is (it's the one where Vegeta's in the black sky powering up with the lightning and such), but in the anime there's that one scene of Lunch drinking herself stupid in a bar after finding out Tenshinhan's died in battle. That's not in the manga ^^.
Which was taken out of the dub, wasn't it? I seem to recall from DBZ uncensored that Lunch was completely removed from the dub, all the way up until that Freeza saga episode where Goku has one of those "This situation is really serious" dream things. There's a series of head shots, and Lunch is one of them, and I'm sure her sudden appearence confused the hell out of a lot of dub viewers.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:33 am

PsyLiam wrote:Which was taken out of the dub, wasn't it? I seem to recall from DBZ uncensored that Lunch was completely removed from the dub, all the way up until that Freeza saga episode where Goku has one of those "This situation is really serious" dream things. There's a series of head shots, and Lunch is one of them, and I'm sure her sudden appearence confused the hell out of a lot of dub viewers.
Yep! During the Saiya-jin saga, there's that picture that Bulma picks up, while at Kame-Sen'nin's, that has all the friends together (presumably taken after the 23rd Tenka-ichi Budokai). Not only is Lunch in the picture (and not so much as noticed by Bulma :P), but it's also the first time we heard that god damn "Tienshinhan" name.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:54 pm

Ya that was weird that Buruma would all of the sudden call him by his original Japanese name of Tenshinhan. If I recall correctly, I don't think the dub ever referred to him by that name again either.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Tue Jan 13, 2004 7:17 pm

Although I haven't got around to buying it, I'm assuming that he's called "Tien Shinhan" on the Dragon Ball box set called, er, "Tien Shinhan".

I do wonder what they were doing with that name. Obviously, Clever Market Research decided that "Tenshinhan" was too long a name for kids to remember, so it got shortened and corrupted to "Tien". But was that just suppossed to be short for "Tienshinhan", like, say, "Dave" to "David"? Or was it suppossed to be a first and last name, like the "Tien Shinhan" implies on the DVD box?

Still, I don't like to pick too much. After all, compared with a LOT of dubbed anime, FUNImation are actually pretty good at keeping the names. The most we really have to complain about it the loss of Goku's surname and the spelling of "Freeza". At least we don't have to put up with our hero being called "Zero".

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:10 pm

His proper original name is Tenshinhan, or as Chiaotzu refers to him, "Ten-san". But none of us are Chiaotzu, so why did I even bring that up? :? Actually Chiaotzu's name variations are fun too, since in the Japanese they say "Chaozu".

I Like Dragonball

Post by I Like Dragonball » Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:09 pm

I think it's a testament to DB that the more simple question is, "who is your least favorite character?"

For me, the only ones I'm not drawn to are the really late ones, like Goten and lil' Trunks. Just because I can, though, I'll say my favorite is Piccolo. :-) Little Gohan, too.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:24 pm

Yeah, you're just like me!! :o