Anniversary Specials

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Anniversary Specials

Post by Sun_Wukong » Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:47 am

Ok, everyone knows that the 10th anniversary special is basically a very weird retelling of DB up to the Red Ribbon Army saga. What exactly is the 5th anniversary special about? When it was mentioned in Ask VegettoEX, it was the first time I even knew one existed. And with the 20th anniversary of the anime comming up in 2006 I believe, is there any hope for a 20th anniversary special?

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:38 am

Semi-off topic: Are there any plans other than the kanzenban re-ending for an anniversary "special" manga-wise? Or was the Vegeta appearance in NMZ3 it? :x
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:01 pm

The 5th anniversary special is supposedly just a collection of clips from the show, with "Goku" and "Gohan" talking about the show, and stuff (kinda like my AF commercial... OOOOOOH... yeah, exactly!). Ramza's got it. Somewhere. Buried.

Haven't heard any plans to celebrate the 20th anniversary. Technically it would be December / January later this year, though, so it might be kinda early (if they do ANYthing).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Mochi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mochi » Wed Jun 16, 2004 4:19 pm

I do hope they make a 20th anniversary special. ^__^ I wonder what would it be like... Maybe it would be like the 10th... The world may never know. O.o
Yes... I am... but you don't know that...

Caracal
Regular

Post by Caracal » Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:43 pm

I doubt a 20th anniversary special will happen. I mean is DBZ still big in Japan? Sure, there have been a few games and a manga re-release last year (least, I think it was the manga that was re-released) but I somehow doubt it'll be as popular as it was when the 5th and 10th anniversary specials were released.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:01 pm

Caracal wrote:(least, I think it was the manga that was re-released).
One word: Kanzenban. :)

Personally I think they're waiting for the 25th anniversary before they do anything big.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.

tablet the eunuch
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by tablet the eunuch » Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:27 pm

25th has a nicer ring to it. And I don't see how it's not popular anymore (ok, not to the same level as it used to be, but), it's still running on TV, has had/has up to 3 massive monolith-style boxed sets, a complete manga re-release, several new games, new merchandise, and so on. So an anniversary special wouldn't be completely out of the question.

omae no kaasan
OMG ULTIMATE DBZ INF0RZ D00D

Post by omae no kaasan » Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:07 am

Isn`t it odd howe everyone seems to refer to 10th Anniversary Special as "odd, weird, strange, stupid etc. retelling of DB". But when you think about it, isn`t every single movie just a retelling of the popular saga of that time period??? They replace the villain and poof, it is almost the exact same thing.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:34 pm

Except for DBZ movies 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 and 13. :P

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:58 pm

8, 10 and 11 were basically the same movie in my book.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:01 pm

Simply because it had the same villain? The plots were COMPLETELY different from each other. Movie 8 is movie 8. Movie 10 is about Goten+Trunks+Videl DB hunting. Movie 11 sucked, but was less related to Broly this time since he was just a clone.

omae no kaasan

Post by omae no kaasan » Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:56 pm

8: Come on now. Brolly = Cell. The only difference is that Goku won in the end. That movie rules because it takes the best parts of the Cell Saga, namingly everyone getting their asses kicked, and lumps it together.

9: Going a step back, but this is oooooooooh so reminiscant of those lovely Androids. The big difference? Bojack kills his own people. That and they threw in the Cell Saga end.

10: Take Goku out of the picture and place the power of victory in the hands of the least likely, then add extra support from people on the sides. Sound familliar?

11. Evil short person wants to use unorthodox methods to awaken a terrible power, but upon doing so realizes that such a power is out of his control. Where have I seen that before?

12. Hello Afterworld Tournament from anime filler. Oh, add Buu to that but rename him Janenba. Then incorporate the problem of Vegeta with Fusion.

13. This doesn`t scream Buu saga to you?

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:15 pm

I liked the 10th anniversary remake. It was fun and I loved the soundtrack, really gorgeous in some parts.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:20 pm

I liked how the dub changed Oolong's reason for being expelled from Shape shifting school to a reason worse than stealing panties.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:36 pm

omae no kaasan wrote:8: Come on now. Brolly = Cell. The only difference is that Goku won in the end. That movie rules because it takes the best parts of the Cell Saga, namingly everyone getting their asses kicked, and lumps it together.
So Broly isn't the legendary SSJ, he was really comprised of the cells of Goku, Vegeta, Piccolo, Freeza and King Cold? Shit. No wonder his PL at birth was 10,000. :P
omae no kaasan wrote:9: Going a step back, but this is oooooooooh so reminiscant of those lovely Androids. The big difference? Bojack kills his own people. That and they threw in the Cell Saga end.
I'll give you the end, but what do a bunch of aliens released by the death of a kaio have to do with the androids?
omae no kaasan wrote:10: Take Goku out of the picture and place the power of victory in the hands of the least likely, then add extra support from people on the sides. Sound familliar?
Point taken, I suppose. But you skipped over the whole Goten+Trunks searching for the DBs. That was never done before.
omae no kaasan wrote:11. Evil short person wants to use unorthodox methods to awaken a terrible power, but upon doing so realizes that such a power is out of his control. Where have I seen that before?
Sounds like the Boo sag- ooohh... :shock:
omae no kaasan wrote:12. Hello Afterworld Tournament from anime filler. Oh, add Buu to that but rename him Janenba. Then incorporate the problem of Vegeta with Fusion.
Meh! Janenba and Boo were too totally different people except for the fat personae. As for fusion, Vegetto didn't use his power to end the Boo saga, whereas Gogeta was needed to end the threat of Janenba.
omae no kaasan wrote:13. This doesn`t scream Buu saga to you?
Except for the ugly magician wanting to release a powerful evil monster, nope, not at all. There's extreme character development and the introduction of an angsty teenage sword-wielder who goes back in time to -- fuck: Trunks remake. :x

Izlude
Regular

Post by Izlude » Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:38 pm

How about for a 20th Anniversery, Bandai/Banpresto release a GBA cart containing revamped versions of the Dragon Ball Z Butoden games for the SNES (Maybe perhaps combing all the characters and stages in all 3), Plus Hyper Dimension, and a revamped version of Legend of the Super Saiyan! ^^

Then, a PS2 release of DragonBall Finalbout, Shin Butoden and Legends packedaged w/ a limited edition Super Saiyan Goku plushie!

Finally... an OVA of the entire DragonBall/Z/GT series highlighting the greatest fight scenes with all new animation! That would be hot...

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:46 pm

That would also NEVER happen. Ever. Not in a million billion years. Possibly in a million billion and three years, but for sure not in a million billion.

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Fri Jun 18, 2004 2:35 am

what they ought to do is a redoing of the artwork like the Budokai 2 artwork and use that as a movie or OAV and retell the Vegeta saga in condensed form. They already told the start of DB, so why not tell the start of DBZ? I think it'd be neat and it'd be REALLY easy to condense the training down so you need a Raditz fight, some condensed training, cut the saibamen fight out and have Nappa kill everyone (including Yamcha, hey its a retelling), then have Goku come back as he did kick Nappas but, then a Goku Vegeta fight and then the conclusion, end movie or OAV. If it was a multi part OAV cutting would be cut down though.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Fri Jun 18, 2004 3:30 am

Heh, cutting out the cutting out then? :P

I have two ideas, but the wont work for the 20th aniversary. They'd have to start either of the NOW for the 25th aniversary.

Idea One: A 25 part DBZ Mini-series (symbolic for the 25th aniversary) that covers Raditz to Kid Buu. Each part would be EXACTLY an hour long. (If they add comercials, then it'd be longer than an hour on TV, but the DVD would be 1 hour per 'part'). Doing that they could cover all of the Raditz portion in just one part. (The Anime did it in 3 I believe.)

Idea Two: A 7 part DBZ Mini-series (7 dragonballs, 7 parts, get it?) that's original. Each part is 1 1/2 to 2 hours long. General idea is that new baddies have come along (or old ones are back with 00ber power-ups) and each part of the series shows the Z Fighter trying to get one of the DBs while stopping the baddies.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

omae no kaasan

Post by omae no kaasan » Fri Jun 18, 2004 6:11 am

Day, like I said, the plots were modeled after the current plots. I`m not saying they are exactly the same thing, but when you look at them and see what they are underneath, who does what, and who comes into play, yes, they`re very very unoriginal.

That doesn`t mean some of them don`t rule though.

I just read your whole post, I won`t reply to everything, I`m heading out to rent some movies, but please Day. I know you know DBZ freakin well. So don`t tell me you see no correlation between Janenba and Buu.

Fat
Childlike
Multiple Forms
Uncontrollable
Magical based attacks
Was sealed away
Bested by a Fusion character