If Dragonball was written/directed by another big named anime creator/mangaka, who would you want it to be?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Re: If Dragonball was written/directed by another big named anime creator/mangaka, who would you want it to be?

Post by zarmack » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:04 am

ABED wrote:
zarmack wrote:
DragonBallFoodie wrote:The only person I can think of at the moment is ONE, who did One-Punch-Man. I thought that was a decent action comedy that was close to DB.

But that said, I don't see anyone truly replicating Toriyama's charm and humor.
Finding someone who could replicate Toriyama's style wasn't the point of the thread. It was to see which artist/writer could make their own unique and great version of DB.
If that's the criterion, any great artist could do it.
But which anime/manga artist would you personally like to see?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: If Dragonball was written/directed by another big named anime creator/mangaka, who would you want it to be?

Post by ABED » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:09 am

None. I've seen DB. Toriyama is what made DB what it is. What point is there in seeing someone else's version?
I honestly think those three would outshine Toriyama big time.
Based on what? Considering that none of them did outshine him with their own creation, I doubt they would with someone else's.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:34 am

ABED wrote:None. I've seen DB. Toriyama is what made DB what it is. What point is there in seeing someone else's version?
I honestly think those three would outshine Toriyama big time.
Based on what? Considering that none of them did outshine him with their own creation, I doubt they would with someone else's.
You think Dragonball has better writing than Fate Stay Night/Zero, Magical Madoka, Yu Yu Hakusho, Hunter x Hunter and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:27 pm

DB wasn't the most popular because it had the best writing.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:10 pm

Warren Ellis, though that might be the recent Castlevania hype talking :P
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:05 pm

Would anyone think Kohei Horikoshi (My Hero Academia) or Hajime Isayama (Attack on Titan) be a good fit?

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:52 pm

Horikoshi is great but I dunno if Dragon Ball really fits his style. He's very clear-cut and deliberate, and Dragon Ball has a certain feeling of sloppiness and "whatever the fuck I feel like" that distinguishes it from other manga.

Isayama isn't really that good at drawing, and the less said about his characterization and plotting, the better. His stuff is incredibly bleak tonally anyway, it's about as far from Dragon Ball as you can get without leaving the shonen demographic.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:13 am

It would be interesting if Hirohiko Araki would write Dragon Ball, his fashion sense, bizarre elements he incorporates in his story and unique Powers given to the characters is fun to watch.

Eichiro Oda with his awesome crafting, exploring of the World, the underlying overarching plot of navy, World Government and their conspiracies is great, wonder how it will blend with Dragon Ball, maybe Red Ribbon Army will play a bigger role then :)

Togashi with his Dark Themes and psychological aspects of humans in his storytelling is great, maybe it will talk about fickle nature of humans in Dragon Ball or explain everything the characters are going through.

Hiromu Arakawa for her awesome setting, the world, how they use Alchemy and similar to One Piece all the underlying history with Military and their conspiracies.

In Directors/Animators
Yoshimichi Kameda from FMAB who animated Mustang killing Lust scene in episode 19

Atsushi Wakabyashi who directed Naruto vs Sasuke fight in Naruto episode 133 and Naruto vs Pain in episode 167 and that Yusuke vs Doctor scene too in Yuu Yuu Hakusho.

Norio Matsumoto as well due to his Super expressive animation.

Shingo Yamashita

Guys like ChenXi Huang with there Awesome animation and choreography can really do an awesome job with Dragon Ball battles.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30