Scariest character in Dragonball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Re: Scariest character in Dragonball?

Post by zarmack » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:23 pm

Nokra wrote:If you are scared by anything in Dragonball you must have a weak heart :lol:
This is about how scary the characters were in the context of the show (in-universe), not how personally scared you were of them. I was never scared of anything watching Dragonball, so I can't speak for everyone lol.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:20 am

I definitely found the ideas of both Cell and Boo a little frightening as a kid (not, like, actively scary, but I think I had a nightmare about both). I think just the combination of their horror elements, wanton killing, and being seemingly unstoppable.

As an adult, I find Broly as featured in Movie 8 pretty genuinely frightening, and maybe more so than the two above, because he's an uncharacteristically straight-forward psycopath for Dragon Ball, stripped of all the usual fantasy elements and quirks. There's a much more real-world killer vibe to him, and that's aided by all the flashbacks to his upbringing we get as well. Not cover-your-eyes scary, but a much more groundedly dark supervillain the core series, or any of the other movies, ever feature. I'm surprised he hasn't been brought up in this thread yet.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:02 am

sunsetshimmer wrote:Baby was scary in every way. Especially in his self form. Remember how he was possessing people on planets?
Even when he took someone's body his host face was scary as well, like Trunks. The way he talked and laughed was scary.
Damn, I forgot about Baby. Yeah, he was damn terrifying, thinking on it. :lol:
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:24 am

I was a bit scared of Imperfect Cell when I was a kid.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:18 am

Cell is his first form remains the only time Dragon Ball I was legitimately freaked out by a villain.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:52 am

sunsetshimmer wrote:
JohnnyCashKami wrote:
sunsetshimmer wrote:Imperfect Cell
Baby
Lord Luud
Super Buu muscled form
Naturon Shenron (Pan absorbed)
Yakon
Third form Frieza
Dr Gero

Those are characters i could perhaps call "scary" in appearance
Baby
Lord Lood
Super Boo

How are these even "scary" to you? Is Lord Lood on it because he likes to play with toys? Dunno why bout Baby and Super Boo.
Luud was just visually scary to me after he absorbed Pan and turned red.
Super Buu was scary after absorbing South Kaioshin when he became extremely muscled.

Baby was scary in every way. Especially in his self form. Remember how he was possessing people on planets?
Even when he took someone's body his host face was scary as well, like Trunks. The way he talked and laughed was scary.

Good to know.

I personally find Baby adorable and very cutesy. The whole thing about controlling people? I can't blame him, the Saiyans wiped his race.

Saiyans wiped the Tsufurians, and Freeza wiped the Saiyans. Kinda funny. I guess some would say Freeza did a good deed. :P

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:17 pm

It probably doesn't count as a 'character', but the Tree of Might, when it began growing, was terrifying.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:16 pm

IMO it was the Androids in their debut. Because what made them scary was that they were human beings who got the power to do whatever they wanted, and what they did was ruin their whole world. It got so bad a Super Saiyan had to travel through time to find a way to stop them (and it's a good thing they reformed).
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:18 pm

Cell in his first form. It remains one of the few, if not the only time that a Dragon Ball character legitimately gave me the chills.

Izanagi
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Izanagi » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:24 pm

Imperfect Cell! He was a fantastic villain and one for the few characters who gave me the creeps. He felt like something straight out of a horror sci-fi movie like Ridley Scott's Alienwith his "you can't see him, but you know he's there" nature and his shtick of sucking the life force out of people adds nightmare fuel. When that guy shriveled up prior to Cell's confrontation against Piccolo, that genuinely scared me.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:42 pm

The design is kinda creepy but what gets to me is the overall sense of dread that pervades the Piccolo Daimao arc.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.