"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mahakaishin1991
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:24 pm

Bergamo wrote:
mahakaishin1991 wrote:
Bergamo wrote: Well in the manga Kid Buu is implied to be stronger than or equal to Steroids Buu.
Id like a link to this because Kid Buu was stated to have gotten stronger from turning into Steroids Buu. Kid Buu isn't his strongest form, just his most unpredictable due to the lack of restraint or sanity the other forms gave him due to absorbing people.

Even still, All that does is show that if it needed all the Kai's to take an enemy and Kid Buu beat them in succession, a Buu who was Super Saiyan 3 Goku and ss2 Vegeta level at the same time, plus a spirit bomb, I'd imagine this other person would be on a similar level.
Vol. 26 page 80
Old Kai says that absorbing both South Kai and Grand Kai tamed Kid Buu.

Also, it is never stated that steroids buu is stronger than kid buu.
The taming thing isnt in the original manga's writing, in fact there's a topic on on this site I was reading between our last posts to double check.

Goku and Vegeta comment that his power went up from Super Buu to huge Buu and then relax. If Kid Buu is a mindless creature of killing, it's very unlikely he's hiding his power.

I'm strongly leaning on Huge Buu being stronger, after all, it was Daikaio's absorbtion that calmed him down and weakened him

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:25 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:I have the wonder what the districts consist of that the Galactic Patrol look over, considering that there are only 28 planets of life in the universe.
God that line is so fucking stupid I hate it so much....

I hope they reveal that this is just yet another example of Kaioshin being a moron and he was wrong about the 28 planets thing.
And wait a sec. isn’t it the job of the kaioshin to create life?

Why the heck isn’t Shin and even the Elder Kai doing their job? If there are only 28 planets with life, CREATE MORE LIFE.
Intelligent life. Not all life in general, which is what the Kais do.
PFM18 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:I have the wonder what the districts consist of that the Galactic Patrol look over, considering that there are only 28 planets of life in the universe.
God that line is so fucking stupid I hate it so much....

I hope they reveal that this is just yet another example of Kaioshin being a moron and he was wrong about the 28 planets thing.

I doubt he's wrong since Jaco himself said there isn't much intelligent in the universe, which is why the patrol is so small despite looking after the entire universe.
Last edited by HeroR on Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:26 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:And wait a sec. isn’t it the job of the kaioshin to create life?
No, Toriyama clarified this in an interview. I want to say the verbatim he used was "they provide the stimulus needed to cultivate life" or something along those lines. They aren't literally out here creating planets/people as far as I'm aware.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:31 pm

PFM18 wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:And wait a sec. isn’t it the job of the kaioshin to create life?
No, Toriyama clarified this in an interview. I want to say the verbatim he used was "they provide the stimulus needed to cultivate life" or something along those lines. They aren't literally out here creating planets/people as far as I'm aware.
I'm not even confident Shin if even doing that
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:37 pm

With this new arc, it would be nice to have Jaco have a role since the last time he had a role in an arc was U6 when he showed Bulma the guy who can answer all the questions.
Since they are after the Grand Supreme Kai, hopefully this means Buu will have a role since Super has sidelined him any chance they can get.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:39 pm

shadowfox87 wrote:Well the translations are out of the new chapter 42. I gotta say that I loved that Freeza and #17 planned the entire situation with #17 hiding because nobody can sense his ki. This also makes a bit sense of Grand Priest, who in the anime and manga, announced that #17 was gone. It's also awesome that #17 acknowledged that he couldn't blow himself even if he wanted to since he didn't have the bomb inside of him. In all, it wasn't probably as exciting as the anime with Goku and Freeza teaming up, but I also liked this version because it provided more logical explanations for what happened.

The new arc looks exciting. I predicted correctly that the Dai Kaioshin was shown as a flashback who sealed this unknown prisoner millions of years ago. Now, the Galactic Patrol seeks him out again to get his help to seal the prisoner. Those anesthesia guns were pretty funny. If they had these guns all along, why didn't they use it against Freeza when he was the emperor of the universe? I always thought that the reason the Galactic Patrol never faced Freeza was because he was out of their league. Not sure why Jaco didn't have one or use it during the RoF arc. Bulma should definitely get one.
Yup and this is exactly why I’m hopping off this modern DB ride after the Broly movie. Why not for Buu or Frieza or even in Future Trunks time against Babidi and Dabura. There’s a ton of scenarios they could have been used under. Further we also have multiple sets of Dragonballs including the Super Dragonballs to just wish the prisoner back into his cell which feel like gathering them would be faster than trying to track him down. Better yet ask Beerus, Whis, Grand Priest, or one of the Zenos to just get rid of the threat and call it a day.

Basically every fight from here forwards will be only have tension “just because they want a fight”. Rather than there being any number of other ways to resolve things. Every arc just adds more and more to the pile of alternative ways different situations could have been resolved rather than feeling as desperate and universe endangering.

Neon Z
Advanced Regular

Post by Neon Z » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:56 pm

superfan2024 wrote:Wait sorry for this dumb question, but if the Kaioshin gets extracted from Fat Boo, are we getting Super Boo or Kid Boo?

Boo's transformations regarding absorbing the Kaioshins have always confused me idk why :crazy:
It could go in any way they want. I could even see the Dai Kaioshin getting dragged out of Buu and Buu still remaining as he is. Technically Mr.Buu shouldn't even exist since Kid Buu was supposed to be the original Buu, not just a fragment.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:02 pm

Neon Z wrote:
superfan2024 wrote:Wait sorry for this dumb question, but if the Kaioshin gets extracted from Fat Boo, are we getting Super Boo or Kid Boo?

Boo's transformations regarding absorbing the Kaioshins have always confused me idk why :crazy:
It could go in any way they want. I could even see the Dai Kaioshin getting dragged out of Buu and Buu still remaining as he is. Technically Mr.Buu shouldn't even exist since Kid Buu was supposed to be the original Buu, not just a fragment.
Shouldn’t Buu have reverted back to his grey form after the good one was extracted from him anyway?

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:16 pm

Bergamo wrote:Vol. 26 page 80
Old Kai says that absorbing both South Kai and Grand Kai tamed Kid Buu.

Also, it is never stated that steroids buu is stronger than kid buu.
It is indirectly:

https://i.imgur.com/o9fwF8k.png

https://i.imgur.com/FphvGpW.png

The way both Goku and Vegeta react are like night and day between both forms
Cetra wrote:That is a good retcon though because it was pretty much what I always read out of the manga with the whole "those victims are lost" and thought the Piccolo thing wouldcause a plothole, just like Cell's core. So I think here he actually did something good. Even though of course there were other victims of Boo but if it is urgent he could say "those were not lost because they were not killed by a totally demonic Boo" or whatever. Would at least serve as a bit more writing. Who am I kidding though, it will not happen.
That shit was more to rub salt in the wound though, to say those killed by King Piccolo would just keep suffering even while dead, so it's just to make the character and the audience even more pissed at him.

But anyways, they didn't retcon anything, Marcarita was just talking about her own powers not being able to resurrect those killed by a demon, wasn't about the dragon balls.
TKA wrote:You're getting neither. Super Buu is Buu in his most complete form. Mr. Buu, who is the Buu we have now, was part of Super Buu. Pure/Kid Buu is Buu without Mr. Buu dragging him down, and is currently residing on Earth as Uub.

So if they somehow extract Kaioshin... nothing should be left of Mr. Buu.
It's possible that a Kid Boo could be what you get if the Kaioshin is removed, since Super Boo is just that evil Boo after eating the fat Boo, and Kid Boo is a Boo without the influence of the fat Kaioshin, so if you remove that, not far fetched that you'd get Kid Boo again.
Liquir wrote:Wait a second.. According to Herms translation Vermouth says he used to be friends with Gichen and afterwards decided to became a God of Destruction. In chapter 29 Vermouth says he has been a God of Destruction for extremely long, as in thousands or millions of years now. So what does that mean for Gitchen's age? Did he also live thousands of years and died recently when Jiren was a child, or does it mean Jiren is extremely old as well?
Can someone explain this better to me?
Gichen could easily have been an immortal being too who just got killed by a demon, nothing much to it, Jiren could be really old too.
Man I hope they retcon that away, just 28 species is just so restricting.
WittyUsername wrote:Shouldn’t Buu have reverted back to his grey form after the good one was extracted from him anyway?
Think the way it works is that anorexic Boo is just Fat Boo's evil side, and after becoming Super Boo, he became a mix of both, so Kid Boo was there was well, and by removing Fat Boo from him, he just went back to the "default" form, that being Kid Boo.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am My man, all Goku had to do was go SSJ3 and shock Vegeta so much the M on his head would have turned into an L and Buu would have never happened.

Neon Z
Advanced Regular

Post by Neon Z » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:20 pm

Lukmendes wrote:Man I hope they retcon that away, just 28 species is just so restricting.
I think 28 species could work considering just how variable earthlings are. Then, you also could have civilizations spread through entire solar systems or galaxies, but only counting as "one". The problem with 28 planets with mortals is that it rules out all that since multiple planets colonized by people originating from a single planet presumably should count among those 28 too.

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:33 pm

Neon Z wrote:
Lukmendes wrote:Man I hope they retcon that away, just 28 species is just so restricting.
I think 28 species could work considering just how variable earthlings are. Then, you also could have civilizations spread through entire solar systems or galaxies, but only counting as "one". The problem with 28 planets with mortals is that it rules out all that since those planets presumably should count too.
Well, that makes me realize that we could have planets with other species on it, kinda like how Earth has aliens on it, so it wouldn't be as restrictive since it could have more than 28, or just have planets with more than one species on it, since Earth itself has humans and talking animals by default, along other crazy stuff we mostly see on fillers.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am My man, all Goku had to do was go SSJ3 and shock Vegeta so much the M on his head would have turned into an L and Buu would have never happened.

BWri

Post by BWri » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:06 pm

TheMikado wrote: Basically every fight from here forwards will be only have tension “just because they want a fight”. Rather than there being any number of other ways to resolve things. Every arc just adds more and more to the pile of alternative ways different situations could have been resolved rather than feeling as desperate and universe endangering.
This or just make the cast more and more stupid as has been the trend. I think this started in Z, so I won't blame the new era for it even though there's so much PIS in the new content. If the cast wasn't stupid they would have crammed every broken training method they had in those two days prior to the ToP. I'm talking, sensu farming, gravity chamber, time chamber, kaioken for everyone who can learn it, IT for everyone, potential unlocks for everyone (they can do all this in the time chamber), and kikoho's and spirit bombs for everyone. Or even half of that. Not to mention you have Dende, Kabito, and Whis if there aren't any sensu's to farm. Team U7 should have steamrolled the competition until Jiren, then Jiren takes out most of the team.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:16 pm

Honestly I don't care about the Kaioshin. Nor do I care about Jaco, the Galactic Patrol, maybe the prisoner slightly if it's a Saiyan.

So I'm going into this new arc with no expectations. If the Makaishins were involved somehow then I'd be more down for it. I've probably been watching too much SDBH.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

shadowfox87
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowfox87 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:19 pm

TheMikado wrote: Yup and this is exactly why I’m hopping off this modern DB ride after the Broly movie. Why not for Buu or Frieza or even in Future Trunks time against Babidi and Dabura. There’s a ton of scenarios they could have been used under. Further we also have multiple sets of Dragonballs including the Super Dragonballs to just wish the prisoner back into his cell which feel like gathering them would be faster than trying to track him down. Better yet ask Beerus, Whis, Grand Priest, or one of the Zenos to just get rid of the threat and call it a day.

Basically every fight from here forwards will be only have tension “just because they want a fight”. Rather than there being any number of other ways to resolve things. Every arc just adds more and more to the pile of alternative ways different situations could have been resolved rather than feeling as desperate and universe endangering.
The existence of the Dragon Balls does remove a lot of tension as many things can be wished away. In the future of DBO, Dende removed the Dragon Balls because of abuse. I think that Dragon Balls actually should be removed otherwise there can never be real "tension".
DBS Manga vs Anime Differences: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=42062
Timelines Explanation: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=42105
Log Power Scaling: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40610
Science of Ultra Instinct: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40707

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:21 pm

So this new arc could be cool. It focuses on former Kaioshin, Buu and the Galactic Patrol, which I'll never say no to seeing more of. I'm glad we're doing more with the Galactic Patrol especially. I think having a gun that INSTANTLY KNOCKS ANYONE IT HITS OUT is a little bit backwards for this series considering how much fucking problems could have been solved with that, but I can look past it because who the hell cares. I like the new guy's design, even if Toyo is still janking up his anatomy somewhat. That said I still don't really have any confidence in Toyotaro after what we just got done with. I'm primarily a fan of the anime for Super so I'm hoping they do their own version of this arc, and maybe get away from the soulless feel the manga has had for a while now.

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:26 pm

Rakurai wrote:Honestly I don't care about the Kaioshin. Nor do I care about Jaco, the Galactic Patrol, maybe the prisoner slightly if it's a Saiyan.

So I'm going into this new arc with no expectations. If the Makaishins were involved somehow then I'd be more down for it. I've probably been watching too much SDBH.
I think having a saiyan villain right after Broly (Well, he ain't a villain but was an antagonist) would feel pretty lazy, better make use of something else.

Someone from the demon realm would feel odd since it'd basicaly mean that kaionshins decided to entrust Galactic Patrol to keep it imprisoned, that honestly feels odd for me, though if it's someone with a connection to someone from the demon realm it could work.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:29 pm

I'm also more a fan of the anime of Super than I am the manga, but the anime isn't airing right now and I can't imagine it'll be any earlier than April, more likely July, when that comes back so if I want to stay on top of this new arc oh well I'm stuck with the manga for another 5 months.

The manga isn't bad, but overall I enjoyed the anime version more.

Also after getting that awesome Shintani art it's hard going back to Toyo's Yamamuro inspired art.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:35 pm

Kinokima wrote:Wrong you do realize manga-ka have editors. Toyotaro is at the whim of his editors and the publisher just like every other manga-ka. Usually things like number of chapters are decided ahead of time. And each chapter is only allotted a certain number of pages base on what V-Jump can allow.

I am not saying Toyotaro has no input on things he wants to do in the story whatsoever. But to think he has complete editorial control means you don’t understand how writing manga works.
Don't make us laugh, V-Jump is primarily focused on promotional materials, it's not an alternative to publications like Weekly Shonen Jump that exist to introduce fresh new material. Also there's no directors to put Toyotaro work in check (besides Toriyama himself) like we had back then with the author of the original manga. Is not up to V-Jump to decide as long they keep making profit with it.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:48 pm

Wow! Trying to extract Daikaioshin from Boo huh.. that is fucking awesome! Wonder if they’ll be able to physically remove Daikaioshin from Boo or if they’ll just end up probing memories and the like.. Either way it’s cool as hell!
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:52 pm

Noah wrote:
Kinokima wrote:Wrong you do realize manga-ka have editors. Toyotaro is at the whim of his editors and the publisher just like every other manga-ka. Usually things like number of chapters are decided ahead of time. And each chapter is only allotted a certain number of pages base on what V-Jump can allow.

I am not saying Toyotaro has no input on things he wants to do in the story whatsoever. But to think he has complete editorial control means you don’t understand how writing manga works.
Don't make us laugh, V-Jump is primarily focused on promotional materials, it's not an alternative to publications like Weekly Shonen Jump that exist to introduce fresh new material. Also there's no directors to put Toyotaro work in check (besides Toriyama himself) like we had back then with the author of the original manga. Is not up to V-Jump to decide as long they keep making profit with it.
Toyotaro may have a lot of input and even creative control (although he clearly runs everything by Toriyama so even that is obviously not true) but he doesn’t make every decision on his own. And V jump and the publisher would still control page counts. Toyotaro also still has deadlines he has to meet. To think he can do whatever he wants is ridiculous.

If you want to criticize the manga do with the manga content. If you want to say he didn’t use the pages he had well that is a legitimate criticism. But saying he rushed through the TOP because he ALONE decided he wanted to do this new arc is based on absolutely nothing.

Edit: this link talks more about the anime but does mention the existence of a V-Jump editorial department

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/production/super/
Last edited by Kinokima on Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.