Aspects of Dragonball Fandom that Piss You Off

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Brad Redfield
Regular

Post by Brad Redfield » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:31 am

DemonKingPiccolo wrote:I look at Dragon Ball as an entertaining story, I do not indulge in the fantasy of physically impersonating my favorite character from that story. That's just embarrassing.
I used to think the same way until I tried it out for myself: Its really fun to do at a con. :P

...now there are others that do take it to a bizarre level. Like this creepy guy I saw at our local mall who was dressed as Urahara (?) from Bleach, asking people if they wanted mints.

I understand where you're coming from though.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:08 am

DemonKingPiccolo wrote:...collecting everything Dragon Ball is also an over-obsession. It's one thing to buy the box sets, and perhaps memorabilia like shirts and a couple rare figures that you just happen to come by; but to actually search and spend vast amounts of money on merchandise and getting things shipped to you from Japan is walking the line of obsession. I'm not only talking about Dragon Ball, but other things as well. It's the same as being a serious Trekkie, or even a World of Warcraft geek.
You have no idea how much I agree with you! I couldn't have said it better myself!

I also hate it when people fight over the Season Sets constantly, acting like they are either the Holy Grail of DBZ releases, or acting like they are the worst thing to come out of the anime industry. Just let the people who like them like them, and let the people who hate them hate them.

I also hate the "fans" on YouTube... Those are some of the most ridiculous people I have ever met!
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Taku128
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Taku128 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:20 am

I hate when people deny that DB/Z/GT is a kids series, beit in Japan or America. If its an adult series then why am I forced to sit through commercials for "Zoids" and "TekDek Dudes" whenever I want to watch movie 9?
­

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:01 am

DemonKingPiccolo wrote:I look at Dragon Ball as an entertaining story, I do not indulge in the fantasy of physically impersonating my favorite character from that story. That's just embarrassing.

Discussing the subject online with fellow fans feeds the geeky over-obsession. I will agree that twenty year olds watching and discussing anime is a bit geeky, but it's not like our discussions interfere with our physical lives outside the internet. Or I don't know about the rest of you, but my time on the internet discussing anime doesn't intervene with the runnings of my real life, because I know when to draw the line, and stop discussing stuff online so that I can go to work and pay rent.
Uh, I've never, ever met a cosplayer who put cosplaying ahead of paying their rent. :? Not sure who you're talking to or where you got that impression, but people like that are clearly in the minority. Plus I fail to see how a hobby like cosplaying from DB or any other anime, automatically is bad because it's done on your time outside of the internet or watching/reading the series. So, according to you then, playing a sport or doing any other hobby outside of discussing it on the internet, is taking things too far. Don't get me wrong, you're entitled to your opinion, but I'm trying to make you see how your reasoning for the opinion you have doesn't make sense.

The majority of cosplayers, myself included, will be the first to admit that cosplaying is a "geeky hobby". Of course it is! It's a bunch of geeks playing dress up! But you know what? Who cares? Is the person happy and having fun and not hurting anyone? If the answer is yes and they're reasonable about how much time they put into it, then what's the problem? As long as a person isn't into something too deep, as in it's completely controlling their lives and/or causing harm in some way, I just don't see having such an issue with it. I work hard at my job(the majority of the salary goes to pay my bills by the way), and so greatly appreciate any time or chance I get to have fun with my interests. Life's just too short man.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:27 am

Well said Jerseymilk. Well said.

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:29 am

I really just hate all the goddamn arguments. Season Set bashing. Diub Vs.Sub. FUNi Vs.Ocean over on YouTube. Funny thing about the Ocean/FUNi war on YouTube is. Though I far prefer FUNi and think their cast and music are better. There still are a lot of great things you can say about Ocean. Yet despite this, the only people defending Ocean over there are the biggest arrogant, ignorant morons. I'm talking well beyond the idiocy of your common person who only knows the Dub.

DragonBall is the greatest Anime ever, it's inspired so many other great Manga's of today. Yet DragonBall fans everywhere just go at war with eachother of the most moronic things. We're all DragonBall fans, we need to co-exist in peace. Whether we like or dislike the Season Sets. Prefer Dub of Original JP. Prefer FUNi or Ocean. We all just need to get along and have fun with the series we love. It's moronic to fight over things that just don't matter. Especially since no one will ever change the others mind. We love what we love. Fight over the things that matter...Like who would have won, SSJ2 Goku or Majin Vegeta. :P
DemonKingPiccolo wrote:...collecting everything Dragon Ball is also an over-obsession. It's one thing to buy the box sets, and perhaps memorabilia like shirts and a couple rare figures that you just happen to come by; but to actually search and spend vast amounts of money on merchandise and getting things shipped to you from Japan is walking the line of obsession. I'm not only talking about Dragon Ball, but other things as well. It's the same as being a serious Trekkie, or even a World of Warcraft geek.
I enjoy being that way. Given I don't spend as much as others...But also, I don't have a job. It's so much fun to have a passion that you never get tired of buying things for.
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
*Dodges rocks*

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:35 am

Another thing that pisses me off about the fandom is the constant Broly glorification. The guy is nothing more then the Incredible Hulk with blonde hair.
Uh.... what? Glorify Broly? Ummm, what universe are you from? All I ever see is Broly bashing.
General anime cosplayers piss me off the most out of anything, I've always seen cosplay for what it really is: a geeky over-obsession.
Something tells me someone's mad about never getting invited to the neightbour's costume parties or being allowed to go trick-or-treating. :P

And for everything else I could say, just go read Jersey's posts.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:38 am

Xyex wrote:
Another thing that pisses me off about the fandom is the constant Broly glorification. The guy is nothing more then the Incredible Hulk with blonde hair.
Uh.... what? Glorify Broly? Ummm, what universe are you from? All I ever see is Broly bashing.
Why do you think there's so much Broly bashing? Because so many people try to hype him. Maybe you've been hanging out here too much where everyone hates him.
*Dodges rocks*

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:51 am

Lavender Saiyan wrote:
Xyex wrote:
Why do you think there's so much Broly bashing? Because so many people try to hype him. Maybe you've been hanging out here too much where everyone hates him.
No, it's all I ever see anywhere. And it's all I've seen for many many years now. I know of only two Broly fans, and I'm one of them. :?
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:52 am

Xyex wrote:
Lavender Saiyan wrote:
Xyex wrote: Uh.... what? Glorify Broly? Ummm, what universe are you from? All I ever see is Broly bashing.
No, it's all I ever see anywhere. And it's all I've seen for many many years now. I know of only two Broly fans, and I'm one of them. :?
You ever been on places like FUNi's Forum or IGN's DB Forum? Lots of Broly topics. I too actually like Broly, but I hate how people over power him as the god of all DB.
*Dodges rocks*

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:01 am

Haven't been on those forums, so haven't seen much Broly bashing or praising. Will say that it was funny when I informed some of my friends who played him. The looks on their faces when their mouths drop is hilarious.

ultimateemail5000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ultimateemail5000 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:11 pm

I think the best way to write my thoughts on fans that piss me off is with a list

- those who cry over 16:9
- the ones saying the live action movie will suck, even though it's not out, and very little information released about it
- the ones who get really technical about the smallest object
- fans who say they are the hardcorest fan (including the wheel chair kid on funimations website)
- the ones who type in formz lyk thiz
- 95% of the fans

I dunno, maybe I'll update my list later but. But I could probably keep this thing going if I wanted.

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:58 pm

ultimateemail5000 wrote: - fans who say they are the hardcorest fan (including the wheel chair kid on funimations website)
That was just a contest, FUNi gave that title to whoever won. However I AM the hardcorest fan :P
*Dodges rocks*

Artificial Human #887
Beyond Newbie

Post by Artificial Human #887 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:19 pm

DemonKingPiccolo wrote:Even to me, collecting everything Dragon Ball is also an over-obsession. It's one thing to buy the box sets, and perhaps memorabilia like shirts and a couple rare figures that you just happen to come by; but to actually search and spend vast amounts of money on merchandise and getting things shipped to you from Japan is walking the line of obsession.
Meh. I can see where you're coming from, but at the same time, I just like to collect things that I enjoy. I don't see it as being an "over-obsession" to have things like that. I collect DB stuff, I collect vast amounts of American comics, I collect statues, I collect video games - and all of the above have had me search the internet and import things. There's nothing more enjoyable for me than coming home from work and being surrounded by nice things that make you happy!
Aly. Professional nerd. [url=http://vegetas.livejournal.com]vegetas@livejournal[/url]

DB Cosplay 2009: The Great Saiyaman

DemonKingPiccolo
Beyond Newbie

Post by DemonKingPiccolo » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:29 pm

Xyex wrote:
Apparently we're not part of the same Universe because I am suddenly under an impression that you live under a rock. Go to YouTube, there are Broly Tributes out the a**. DiviantART has pics out the a**. Broly Usernames are big too, even Broly threads. There are TONS of them on the MFG forums.
Something tells me someone's mad about never getting invited to the neightbour's costume parties or being allowed to go trick-or-treating.
One thing I don't tolerate is rudeness, and that was rude. And since you were rude to me, I'll return the courtesy:
Something tells me someone enjoys wollowing in a fantasy where they physically become their favorite cartoon character. I wonder if the person in question has the voice down too. :wink:
"There's a hole in the world like a great black pit
And it's filled with people who are filled with shit
And the vermin of the world inhabit it."
~Sweeney Todd

Nikkolas
Regular

Post by Nikkolas » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:31 pm

[quote="DemonKingPiccolo"]Another thing that pisses me off about the fandom is the constant Broly glorification. The guy is nothing more then the Incredible Hulk with blonde hair.

Nothing wrong with that.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:49 pm

DemonKingPiccolo wrote: One thing I don't tolerate is rudeness
Yet you have no qualms about implying that anyone that likes to cosplay, or anyone that imports merchandise from Japan are suffering from over-obsession to the degree that they would gladly not pay their rent if it meant getting another Dragonball figure..

I'm beginning to think at the very least, you were beaten up by a cosplayer, possibly with weapons that he or she imported from Japan...
DemonKingPiccolo wrote:Another thing that pisses me off about the fandom is the constant Broly glorification. The guy is nothing more then the Incredible Hulk with blonde hair.
I do however, completely agree with you there.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:20 pm

DemonKingPiccolo wrote:Another thing that pisses me off about the fandom is the constant Broly glorification. The guy is nothing more then the Incredible Hulk with blonde hair.
That is totally not true.

The Hulk has had character development.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:48 pm

Rocketman wrote:
That is totally not true.

The Hulk has had character development.
Not to mention a personality and redeeming qualities. Brolly is every negative stereotype about DBZ put into one character.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Kid Trunks
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kid Trunks » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:12 am

Taku128 wrote:I hate when people deny that DB/Z/GT is a kids series, beit in Japan or America. If its an adult series then why am I forced to sit through commercials for "Zoids" and "TekDek Dudes" whenever I want to watch movie 9?
I geuss Dragonball is just a kids series that attracts adults, the same way The Simpsons is actually an adult series that attracts kids.