The tragedy of Gine (Warning Spoilers)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

The tragedy of Gine (Warning Spoilers)

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:20 pm

So I wasn't one of those fans that really cared who Goku's mother was but I knew some fans cared. I never thought it would get revealed until Toriyama released Minus. While it was neat, it didn't really do anything for me. Now with the movie fixing minus's issues, one line that got me was Gine yelling at the pod hoping Goku doesn't forget them. As we all know, Goku hit his head and forgot everything. Now I have only seen the dub and I am not sure if she says that in the original version, but that kind of makes the character a bit tragic. Here while she cared about her sons, she is ultimatly forgotten and Goku, other then embracing his heritage never seems interested in who is family is. That's kind of sad to think about.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Re: The tragedy of Gine (Warning Spoilers)

Post by PFM18 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:33 pm

GreatSaiyaJeff wrote:So I wasn't one of those fans that really cared who Goku's mother was but I knew some fans cared. I never thought it would get revealed until Toriyama released Minus. While it was neat, it didn't really do anything for me. Now with the movie fixing minus's issues, one line that got me was Gine yelling at the pod hoping Goku doesn't forget them. As we all know, Goku hit his head and forgot everything. Now I have only seen the dub and I am not sure if she says that in the original version, but that kind of makes the character a bit tragic. Here while she cared about her sons, she is ultimatly forgotten and Goku, other then embracing his heritage never seems interested in who is family is. That's kind of sad to think about.
Well one of the lines I found interesting was that Gine said they would probably go find him afterwards because his father was just being paranoid. (Or something along those lines) So she couldn't necessarily have been entirely convinced that she was never going to see Goku again.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:34 pm

Huh, this just made me realize that Goku and Piccolo have very similar origins to each other!

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:35 pm

GreatSaiyaJeff wrote:Now with the movie fixing minus's issues,
How so?
GreatSaiyaJeff wrote:one line that got me was Gine yelling at the pod hoping Goku doesn't forget them.
Huh... Am I missing something? Does Gine say something about Goku not forgetting them? In my dub she yells Kakarot and nothing more, I haven't seen the Japanese version either. Might be a FUNimation-only thing, I heard they introduced some stuff in the dialogues.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:50 pm

Grimlock wrote:
How so?
GreatSaiyaJeff wrote:one line that got me was Gine yelling at the pod hoping Goku doesn't forget them.
Huh... Am I missing something? Does Gine say something about Goku not forgetting them? In my dub she yells Kakarot and nothing more, I haven't seen the Japanese version either. Might be a FUNimation-only thing, I heard they introduced some stuff in the dialogues.
I feel that it gave more reason on why Bardock acted the way he did. In minus, he had this feeling, but in the movie, he is suspicious because Freeza is asking all the saiyans to come back to Vegeta and also he has been inquiring about the Super Saiyan. Bardock actually has a reason to act the way he did instead of just randomly feeling paranoid.

That was the line I heard Gine shout as Goku was flying off. She is hoping he doesn't forget about her.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:04 pm

GreatSaiyaJeff wrote:I feel that it gave more reason on why Bardock acted the way he did. In minus, he had this feeling, but in the movie, he is suspicious because Freeza is asking all the saiyans to come back to Vegeta and also he has been inquiring about the Super Saiyan. Bardock actually has a reason to act the way he did instead of just randomly feeling paranoid.
Yeah, there were some extra dialogues for Bardock that were not seen in the manga but I don't think it "fixes" Dragon Ball Minus as whole. It may present better why Bardock acted the way he did, making it easier for other people to buy his attitude/decision but in regard of improving the whole thing? I don't think so.
GreatSaiyaJeff wrote:That was the line I heard Gine shout as Goku was flying off. She is hoping he doesn't forget about her.
Not in my dub. We are going to have to watch the Japanese version. I'm pretty sure Gine just yells Kakarot in it though. You know, the American dub is famous for changing the whole dialogues and adding stuff that it's not the in the original version for some reason.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:15 pm

Grimlock wrote:
GreatSaiyaJeff wrote:I feel that it gave more reason on why Bardock acted the way he did. In minus, he had this feeling, but in the movie, he is suspicious because Freeza is asking all the saiyans to come back to Vegeta and also he has been inquiring about the Super Saiyan. Bardock actually has a reason to act the way he did instead of just randomly feeling paranoid.
Yeah, there were some extra dialogues for Bardock that were not seen in the manga but I don't think it "fixes" Dragon Ball Minus as whole. It may present better why Bardock acted the way he did, making it easier for other people to buy his attitude/decision but in regard of improving the whole thing? I don't think so.
GreatSaiyaJeff wrote:That was the line I heard Gine shout as Goku was flying off. She is hoping he doesn't forget about her.
Not in my dub. We are going to have to watch the Japanese version. I'm pretty sure Gine just yells Kakarot in it though. You know, the American dub is famous for changing the whole dialogues and adding stuff that it's not the in the original version for some reason.
Yeah that's fair, it doesn't fully fix minus but that was the main issue I had with Minus. Personally i still prefer the original bardock special.

Which dub did you watch? I will agree with the english dub although with kai forward they have been pretty faithful with how they have been adapting.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:41 pm

GreatSaiyaJeff wrote:
Grimlock wrote:
How so?
I feel that it gave more reason on why Bardock acted the way he did. In minus, he had this feeling, but in the movie, he is suspicious because Freeza is asking all the saiyans to come back to Vegeta and also he has been inquiring about the Super Saiyan. Bardock actually has a reason to act the way he did instead of just randomly feeling paranoid.

That was the line I heard Gine shout as Goku was flying off. She is hoping he doesn't forget about her.
It’s admittedly been a while since I’ve read Minus, but from what I recall, his reasons for being suspicious of Freeza there were exactly the same as his reasons for being suspicious in the movie.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:14 am

The real tragedy is that she even exists to begin with and makes Goku's story substantially less interesting as a result.