More Than a Fan-Term in America (Mystic)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

More Than a Fan-Term in America (Mystic)

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:26 am

I was just browsing toy sites when I came upon this...it made me laugh...

[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
*Dodges rocks*

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: More then a Fan-Term in America.

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:32 am

Lavender Saiyan wrote:I was just browsing toy sites when I came upon this...it made me laugh...

Well, he really has no stated name in the anime, so why not call him what fans are most familiar with? I do admit though, it is cool that the fans are considered like that. Makes me feel all warm inside! :wink:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

FindKenshi
Advanced Regular

Post by FindKenshi » Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:45 am

And now that this toy exists, those who like calling him mystic Gohan have amunition to use against those who say "stop calling him Mystic."
Hillarity ensues.

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:46 am

I'll admit, I'm one of those who use "Mystic".
*Dodges rocks*

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:19 am

After watching all those 'Alternate Reality DBZ' videos, I can't help but think of Vegeta's voice screaming "MYSTIC?!?!" now. :lol:

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:53 pm

Snail wrote:After watching all those 'Alternate Reality DBZ' videos, I can't help but think of Vegeta's voice screaming "MYSTIC?!?!" now. :lol:
You watch those too? Awesome...The first thing I thought was Vegeta seeing that on a toy shelf and blowing up the toy store.
*Dodges rocks*

XxArmageddonX7

Post by XxArmageddonX7 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:16 am

I thought he was called Ultimate Gohan. :?

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:52 am

XxArmageddonX7 wrote:I thought he was called Ultimate Gohan. :?
He is. But he's also called "Chou Gohan" and "Mystic Gohan." It just depends on who you talk to.

I prefer "Chou Gohan."
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:23 am

XxArmageddonX7 wrote:I thought he was called Ultimate Gohan. :?
His name is Bitch. This is cannonically stated. *nods*

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:11 am

I prefer "Saikyo no Gohan".

Because the Daizenshuu is greater than a toy.

FindKenshi
Advanced Regular

Post by FindKenshi » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:19 am

Duo wrote:I prefer "Saikyo no Gohan".

Because the Daizenshuu is greater than a toy.
But here he's being called "Ultimate Gohan" (accoarding to Zasentaman's translation, ((which Chibi Gohan or someone else here confirmed))), and this too--is Daizenshuu :D Gotta love internal contradictions

http://www.freewebs.com/freezahq/extra/ssj.htm

Oh crap, I lost the untranslated version of that image when I reformatted my hard drive.. but i belive it can be found at myfavoritegames. or if anyone else has that book its in, I'm sure you recognize the page and could just scan it hm?

EDIT: aw screw it, I'm a man who NEVER expects people to just "take my word for it", so here is the untranslated version of the image too, just incase you don't trust above translation.
http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/7424 ... jpnbl7.jpg

It took me less then five minutes to find it.

(I know I'm no DesireCampbell, but I like the edit job I did for that translation--although I feel the translation itself may be pretty bad

Kenshi

Post by Kenshi » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:34 am

Why is "Mystic" Gohan put in the Super Saiyajin forms page? And how come your translation says that only "Majin" Vegeta achieved the state along with Goku and Gohan? Vegeta is confirmed in the Daizenshuu to have achieved it in the 7-year break between the Cell and Buu eras(also the worst of them all, but that's irrelevent, even though Freeza, Saiyajin, and the first two TB's DWARF those two, by far, though they're fairly mediocre to be honest), and there are tons of things in the manga that support said notion. Here's a few: Vegeta scoffs at SS2 Gohan's power, says he is above it, and only confirms Goku to be stronger once in SS2, so without it he wouldn't come remotely close, and the most concrete one of all would be that he instantaneously powered up to the state in the battle against Buu without the Babidi charm, of all things. >__>

The part about "FPSSJ" being exclusive to Goku and Gohan only is debatable as well(considering there are tons more who had the "unique" aura attributed to the state and felt no strain in prolonged usages of the SS form, amongst other things), and why SS3 is put after Gohan's Ultimate Fighter state is beyond me, when he took down a Buu Goku basically pissed his pants at the sheer thought of fighting against even with Vegeta's help, and was confirmed to be stronger than even someone who was also (slightly)stronger than that Buu, and was an SS3 fusion. If you really think that a SS3 Goku is somehow above the Rosat-trained SS3 version of someone he confirmed to be stronger than him in plain ol' SS, then I really don't know what to say to that.

Anyway, that's basically my reason for not entirely "trusting" your translation as vindicative, 100% proof, though I speak next to no Japanese and can't even read the basic Kanji/Furigana in a child's manga known as DragonBall, ugh..

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:38 am

@ FindKenshi: Congrats! "Saikyo no Gohan" is said to translate to "Final Warrior", "Mightiest", or "Ultimate" Gohan. Our information came from the same page.

FindKenshi
Advanced Regular

Post by FindKenshi » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:34 am

Duo wrote:@ FindKenshi: Congrats! "Saikyo no Gohan" is said to translate to "Final Warrior", "Mightiest", or "Ultimate" Gohan. Our information came from the same page.
I never claimed I knew Japanese. How was I supposed to know that Saikyo can mean "Ultimate". I thought it meant "Strongest".
Kenshi wrote:Why is "Mystic" Gohan put in the Super Saiyajin forms page?
Ask Bird Studio. I certainly didn't write and publish the Daizenshuu guide books.
Kenshi wrote:And how come your translation says that only "Majin" Vegeta achieved the state along with Goku and Gohan?
Because that's what Zasentaman told me it said.
Kenshi wrote:Vegeta is confirmed in the Daizenshuu to have achieved it in the 7-year break between the Cell and Buu eras
Actually, no, it said he achieved it through hard training. It's up to you to determine what that means and when it happened.
Kenshi wrote:Here's a few: Vegeta scoffs at SS2 Gohan's power, says he is above it, and only confirms Goku to be stronger once in SS2, so without it he wouldn't come remotely close, and the most concrete one of all would be that he instantaneously powered up to the state in the battle against Buu without the Babidi charm, of all things. >__>
You're acting like I disagree with you. It's not my translation, I only edited the image. Of course, if you knew how to read, I expect you'd have realized that upon looking at the page.
Kenshi wrote:The part about "FPSSJ" being exclusive to Goku and Gohan only is debatable as well
That's what Zasentaman told me the page said. I wrote down what he translated, and nothing more. Why are you trying to start random arguments for no reason?
Kenshi wrote:Anyway, that's basically my reason for not entirely "trusting" your translation
Did you happen to see where it says "translated by Zasentaman"? Just curious

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:07 am

Kenshi wrote: though I speak next to no Japanese and can't even read the basic Kanji/Furigana in a child's manga known as DragonBall, ugh..
I'm guessing you're one of the types that frowns at any Manga that has Furigana ontop of the Kanji?, even though you can't actually read it :?

Kenshi

Post by Kenshi » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:57 am

FindKenshi wrote:
Duo wrote:@ FindKenshi: Congrats! "Saikyo no Gohan" is said to translate to "Final Warrior", "Mightiest", or "Ultimate" Gohan. Our information came from the same page.
I never claimed I knew Japanese. How was I supposed to know that Saikyo can mean "Ultimate". I thought it meant "Strongest".
Saikyo basically means "the greatest," or "ultimate," as the creators(or translators) of the Budokai Tenkaichi/Sparking! Series have interpreted it. "Strongest" could work just as well >_>

Kenshi wrote:And how come your translation says that only "Majin" Vegeta achieved the state along with Goku and Gohan?
Because that's what Zasentaman told me it said.
Ever tried looking outside the box and not trust the words of some random guy on GameFaqs with a practically nonexistant knowledge in Japanese, so much as to cause one to think that he never delved into the language at ALL, and mind you I'm multilangual. My first language was Korean(seeing as I was born there, and raised to about twelve years of age, after which I moved to the States for about 3 years), the second obviously English, and then some of Japanese and French, and some Chinese(because of the Kanji/Hanja/whatever). Though I'm pretty sure my ability to decipher ANY of the above aforementioned languages dwarfs that of yours, seeing as I am a rather proficient linguist outside of the internet, where I only spend like an hour or so per day these days)
Kenshi wrote:Vegeta is confirmed in the Daizenshuu to have achieved it in the 7-year break between the Cell and Buu eras
Actually, no, it said he achieved it through hard training. It's up to you to determine what that means and when it happened.
That's basically what I was insinuating. Vegeta certainly didn't have access to SS2 when he fought Cell at any point, and was seen in the form in the Buu era, prior to which he was stated to have trained "like hellz." In other words, he achieved it after the Cell era but before the Buu era(the only time in which he was feasibly implied to have trained after the Room of Spirit and Time-business, after which he by no means had access to SS2. That's exactly what the creators of the Daizenshuu was going for, and hence, it is fact as far as that goes)
Kenshi wrote:Here's a few: Vegeta scoffs at SS2 Gohan's power, says he is above it, and only confirms Goku to be stronger once in SS2, so without it he wouldn't come remotely close, and the most concrete one of all would be that he instantaneously powered up to the state in the battle against Buu without the Babidi charm, of all things. >__>
You're acting like I disagree with you. It's not my translation, I only edited the image. Of course, if you knew how to read, I expect you'd have realized that upon looking at the page.[/quote]
So you're being a bellicose brat and "acting like" you want to pick a fight again. It wasn't translated by you true, but one would know how to avoid copy-pasting the entire thing off a random internet denizen without proofreading it first at the very least, and seeing as I've no idea as to how I'd contact the original translator without jumping in the atrocity known as the GameFaqs bandwagon. Hence, I refuted the erroneous bits of information at my whim to the next best thing. Get it?
Kenshi wrote:The part about "FPSSJ" being exclusive to Goku and Gohan only is debatable as well
That's what Zasentaman told me the page said. I wrote down what he translated, and nothing more. Why are you trying to start random arguments for no reason? [/quote]
Not really. You're the one doing that over at the art thread, and the one doing it here. I merely pointed out some qualms I have with your above work because I have nothing else to do until I get my student Visa over to the States again for the next week or so, since most of the anime-discussion forums I visit are becoming horribly stale these days.
Kenshi wrote:Anyway, that's basically my reason for not entirely "trusting" your translation
Did you happen to see where it says "translated by Zasentaman"? Just curious
"Your" could be interpreted as "belonging to you(not first-person, of course)," which was what I was going for. You edited the image on a crappy program like Rhino or Jasc or something, and I branded it as "yours" since it, essentially came from you, minus the original text.

FindKenshi
Advanced Regular

Post by FindKenshi » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:43 am

Kenshi wrote:Ever tried looking outside the box and not trust the words of some random guy on GameFaqs with a practically nonexistent knowledge in Japanese
Claiming Z-man has a practically nonexistent knowledge of the Japanese language is somewhat silly. He did all the translation work for the V-jump scans for the Sparking Series, and so far, no one has ever had any problems with his translations. But, I digress, I DON'T KNOW JAPANESE, AS I SAID. As for "looking outside the box", the Daizenshuu aren't exactly 100% accurate to the series to begin with. He admitted also that what it said made little sense, but promised me that's what it said. I had no reason to doubt him.
Though I'm pretty sure my ability to decipher ANY of the above aforementioned languages dwarfs that of yours
Good for you. I have never claimed I knew Japanese, and never will.
seeing as I am a rather proficient linguist outside of the internet, where I only spend like an hour or so per day these days)
Nice troll attempt. A true shot.
So you're being a bellicose brat and "acting like" you want to pick a fight again.
This coming from the guy who just took a "you have no life" shot at me. Cute.
It wasn't translated by you true, but one would know how to avoid copy-pasting the entire thing off a random internet denizen without proofreading it first at the very least
See above. He knew the text made little sense, even warned me of such, but still insisted that is what it said. The Daizenshuu has a track record of inaccuracies as far as little details go, so I just took his word for it. My mistake.
and seeing as I've no idea as to how I'd contact the original translator without jumping in the atrocity known as the GameFaqs
No offense, but the Gamefaqs' Dragonball fan community is highly underrated on other boards. Most of the members of Dragonball General board have a near enclyopedic knowledge of the manga, and none of the true regulars go off making unfounded claims without hard evidence to back up said claims--which is more then I can say for even this board at times.
Not really. You're the one doing that over at the art thread
You posted a picture of a baby being raped--which in and of itself could be forgivable, and even overlookable. But then you got all defensive, acting as though you'd done nothing wrong, and taking shots at the people who were offended. That is just immature, and irresponsible. But, for what it's worth, I apologize for calling you "trash" in that thread. Although, admittedly, you are doing little to redeem yourself here. Your overall nature has been hostile, even before the "baby rape" issue was brought up. You took any criticism of your artwork, no matter how constructive or polite it was, and replied with contemptous rantings...
I merely pointed out some qualms I have with your above work
My above work? It was simply editing the image, to insert English text. I made that very clear, in the part that said (Translation: Zasentaman. Editing: FindKenshi) If you want to criticize my work, then... criticize my work. I did not translate that page, I had nothing to do with the translation.
You edited the image on a crappy program like Rhino or Jasc or something
I used Photoshop, but for the record, Rhino is not crappy.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:18 pm

Is it me, or did all the "Mystic" Gohan stuff remind anyone else of how people use to go on about "Pikablue"?

Victator Supreme
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Victator Supreme » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:42 pm

When did Goku ever say Gotenks was more powerful than he was? I only remember him being impressed that they got to SSJ 3.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:22 pm

Victator Supreme wrote:When did Goku ever say Gotenks was more powerful than he was? I only remember him being impressed that they got to SSJ 3.
He tells Majin Boo that someone stronger than him will appear to fight him. While this may have been an exaggeration, Goku was confident the results of the boys' fusion would yield someone strong enough to defeat Boo. He wouldn't place his confidence in that unless it held some level of truth.

Pile some RoSaT training and 2 Super Saiya'jin transformations on top of that and...yeah.