Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:56 pm

TVfan721 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlD_Qj4TDFA

What are people's takes on this guy and his videos? He's a very open Vic supporter who is trying to accuse Sean, Chris and Monica of the same allegations as Vic.
There’s not really much to say. It’s the same people trying to dig up dirt on Mignogna’s enemies for the sake of vindicating him.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:45 am

What are people's takes on this guy and his videos? He's a very open Vic supporter who is trying to accuse Sean, Chris and Monica of the same allegations as Vic.
Why do you people insist on posting these drive-by Youtube links every page?

They're all garbage. None of these people know what they're talking about. The Vic supporters are about as intelligent as the average conspiracy theorist, and the "b-but both sides" folks are too tone deaf and ignorant to contribute anything valuable to the topic.

Son Dragon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Son Dragon » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:44 am

I think at point it might be in the fandom's best interest just to stop. At this point we have three to four maybe five voice voice actors who could or have already lost their jobs. Over a situation that really ought to have been private. People who we are supposed to be like friends toward. But have gone around and done wrong by. It's good to have bad business stopped or revealed but no, not like this. In addition it's sacraficing the good characters of the people involved the situation which is isn't okay. I feel conflicted about that but... at this rate it looks like a lot of bad ends. In fact aside from the people like Vic or Monica who are probably going to be directly effected I'm guessing an additional backfire of funimation loosing Dragon Ball itself. And a lot of fans getting trouble whereas normally they might not have.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:36 am

Son Dragon wrote:I think at point it might be in the fandom's best interest just to stop. At this point we have three to four maybe five voice voice actors who could or have already lost their jobs. Over a situation that really ought to have been private. People who we are supposed to be like friends toward. But have gone around and done wrong by. It's good to have bad business stopped or revealed but no, not like this. In addition it's sacraficing the good characters of the people involved the situation which is isn't okay. I feel conflicted about that but... at this rate it looks like a lot of bad ends. In fact aside from the people like Vic or Monica who are probably going to be directly effected I'm guessing an additional backfire of funimation loosing Dragon Ball itself. And a lot of fans getting trouble whereas normally they might not have.
I disagree overall; Vic should have been punished for this years ago, and what's happened this month is a long time coming. For me, it doesn't matter if Vic and Monica were friends and co-workers, if your friend is acting reprehensibly, you try and influence them to change, or you stop being friends with them. I've had to do that once or twice in my time and I'm happier for it, painful as it was.

As for fans, getting into trouble is their fault. Specifically for certain fans who used Kanzenshuu, I'm glad that they're banned because I don't really want to hang out with those sorts of people who lack empathy and are unable to change their opinions no matter what evidence comes to light. It's hard to go through of course and sad to see, but I feel the site's community is better off at the end of the day as a result.

Son Dragon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Son Dragon » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:35 am

I just don't wanna see people become their worst over this or to be negativrly influenced by the fandom, (who are in my opinion are somewhat indirect friends of
the voice actors) or outer sources.

Also I think about how everyone involved would have been able to deatl with this in alternative scenerios. And for at some.of.them I think they would havr been able to act calmer. However the only problem I feel with thinking it should have completely been left alone between the parties is the odd investigation. Which to me is sort of yeah I may dislike what's happening scenario but if I were in charge of looking for information I am not sure that I would have spotted that sort of odd bias inside the situation, even though ironically I do have the resource to ask about these sort of events from several different angles more than some. I dislike watching fans act the way they do but I can't say they haven't found something strange here or there. Personally I support Vic and Monica, but really no one else, since I think it was a misunderstanding between friends, with some leaning in support of Mignogna actually and the forces around them indirectly pushing each party in one direction or the other. But like I said I'd really like to see peace for the both of them. Anyway I did write more but I think I'm cool with leaving it at that.

Green_Goblin
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Green_Goblin » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:02 am

Cursed Lemon wrote:
excelhedge wrote:And how many of these accounts can be actually proven? Sorry I belive in cold hard facts. Anyone can make up a story on the internet.

If was to make a 2nd account on the forum and posted vic touched me would you even know if it was true? Would you even suspect that account and this one was made by the same person.
lol do you take this stance on everything in your life

"How do you KNOW the Holocaust actually happened? The Jews could've easily forged those tens of thousands of Nazi documents proving the trafficking of those people."
Was this quote coming from u or from him?

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:35 am

Marlowe89 wrote:

They're all garbage. None of these people know what they're talking about. The Vic supporters are about as intelligent as the average conspiracy theorist, and the "b-but both sides" folks are too tone deaf and ignorant to contribute anything valuable to the topic.
Sometimes these videos bring up decent points for a second. I do feel people should consider both sides hefore coming to their conclusion.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

BlueChi
Not-So-Newbie

Post by BlueChi » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:51 am

gokaiblue wrote:
Marlowe89 wrote:

Sometimes these videos bring up decent points for a second. I do feel people should consider both sides hefore coming to their conclusion.
You're asking the impossible out of people who view this as a dick-measuring competition with "the other side".

Kefla
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kefla » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:04 am

gokaiblue wrote:
Marlowe89 wrote:

I’m not going to consider the side of a bunch of crazies, who threaten to kill and dox sexual assault victims.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:41 am

Son Dragon wrote:I think at point it might be in the fandom's best interest just to stop. At this point we have three to four maybe five voice voice actors who could or have already lost their jobs. Over a situation that really ought to have been private. People who we are supposed to be like friends toward. But have gone around and done wrong by. It's good to have bad business stopped or revealed but no, not like this. In addition it's sacraficing the good characters of the people involved the situation which is isn't okay. I feel conflicted about that but... at this rate it looks like a lot of bad ends. In fact aside from the people like Vic or Monica who are probably going to be directly effected I'm guessing an additional backfire of funimation loosing Dragon Ball itself. And a lot of fans getting trouble whereas normally they might not have.
You’re insane if you think Funimation will lose DB over this

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:55 am

Son Dragon wrote:I just don't wanna see people become their worst over this
Personally I support Vic and Monica, but really no one else, since I think it was a misunderstanding between friends
If I'm not misreading this and you're implying that what Monica is accusing Vic of was a "misunderstanding between friends", then congratulations, you have just figured out why some people have "become their worst" over this issue.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:27 pm

gokaiblue wrote: I do feel people should consider both sides hefore coming to their conclusion.
I don't, because the #KickVic "side" (collectively, at least) hasn't done anything remotely bordering on sexual assault. It's not about "taking sides" once you understand the circumstances and behavioral patterns surrounding it, because then it's pretty easy to recognize that the people trying to equalize this stuff are intentionally deflecting from the core issue.

Also, Rial and her colleagues have every right to be upset. No matter how they go about it, it doesn't justify receiving even a small teensy-tiny fraction of the same condemnation and criticism Vic is rightfully getting. It just doesn't.
Last edited by Marlowe89 on Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:34 pm

EXBadguy wrote:The ultra liberals take over social media (mostly Twitter and Tumblr) while the conservatives and the alt right take over Youtube.
Scsigs wrote:
PFM18 wrote:SjW's are just people that fabricate issues and then pretend to solve the issue that they just made up, accompanied by an extremely irrational and obnoxious demeanor. They will then begin to chastise and belittle you for not trying to help solve the issue that they just made up.
Both groups are terrible in their own ways.
Scsigs wrote:
Kokonoe wrote:SJW is just a term for centrists and rightwing to bash left views or feminism.
Oh, SJW is more than that. It's evolved into its own subculture of extreme far left views, like the alt-right is extreme far right views.
So there's a fuckload of false equivalency that goes on when people casually talk about how "the far left and the far right are both equally a problem" or that "SJWs are as big of an issue as the alt-right" and whatnot.

Sites like Tumblr certainly have within them a particular subculture of ultra-extreme "feminists", who take their views to a point where they view ALL men universally as inherently "the problem" and see ALL heterosexual male/female sex, regardless of consent, as inherently "rape by definition" for a multitude of ludicrous reasons too arcanely rooted in concepts like "social patriarchy" and warped, extremist interpretations of feminist writers like Judith Butler for me to neatly summarize here.

Here's the thing though: these people, while they exist, constitute a LUDICROUSLY microscopic, fringe minority. And more importantly, while they hold beliefs and express views that are palpably insane and ridiculous, they also wield ZERO political or social power whatsoever to actually do or affect very much of anything of any real consequence with their views in practical reality; outside of maybe raise a stir on a handful of college campuses, get a teacher fired over something asinine, and be a general pain in the ass for their campus faculties to deal with.

The alt-right meanwhile, while they're also broadly speaking a minority fringe group, in comparison to "Tumblr feminists" they make up a MUCH larger overall percentage of people, and moreover wield VASTLY more tangible and real political and social power, for two key important reasons:

1) The right wing/conservative Republican party of the United States are inherently subservient and deferential to the more extremist fringes of its base of supporters. History has shown time after time, decade after decade now, that the further into batshit insane, conspiracy-minded territory the far right fringes of the Republican party supporters drift, the more that the overall broader Republican party will bend to their whims (with only mild, token "resistance" at most).

By contrast, this is generally NOT the case on the ostensibly "left" Democratic party in the United States (which in practical reality, is overall much more often a "soft right wing" party, a nicer, more politely-spoken, watered down, milquetoast, less inherently bigoted, and less aggressive repackaging of the Republican party's same general pro-Wall Street economic goals), in which the overall broader party typically shuns and actively tries to fight tooth and nail against its more "extremist" wings.

To wit, there's a massive, fever-pitched, and bitter civil war that's currently being fought deep within the Democratic party, and that's due in no small part to the Democratic party leadership actively resenting and fighting viciously and stubbornly against the wishes and agendas of its "hard left" base (something that, having now done some legislative work myself, I've witnessed up close firsthand), in marked contrast to the Republican party leadership which for the most part (with some notable exceptions here or there) tends to cower and kowtow to its far right wing base's every paranoid, childishly delusional flight of fancy.

Thus, an extremist right wing fringe like the alt-right has had FAR more sway in shaping the overall political mandates and legislative goals of the broader Republican party apparatus, as evidenced by not just the presidency of Donald Trump, but also alt-right and alt-light factions within his cabinet (who have a generally tenuous relationship with the more mainstream, old school Republican corporatists in his cabinet).

And 2) Tumblr Feminists (or "SJWs") are generally speaking NOT actively violent or prone to physically violent behavior by and large. They're not out there committing mass shootings, running their cars into mobs of protesters, mailing bombs to people, starting small riots at political rallies, or committing random acts of assault, etc. By contrast, the alt-right have been perpetrators of ALL of the above acts on numerous occasions: unlike SJWs, their "political activism" comes with an actual body count.

So to recap:

The "extreme left" on social media (typically characterized as your now-stereotypical Blue Haired "ultra extreme feminist" college campus SJWs) are a microscopically tiny assortment of emotionally volatile college kids active mainly on social media and their local campus and who wield just about NO political capitol whatsoever and are, as of now, responsible for absolutely NO policy making decisions or legislative agendas on whatever non-existent "far left" political party one imagines that there might be in America (that in reality only exists in people's heads at this time), and who have committed exceedingly little to no physical violence whatsoever, and are a threat to absolutely NO ONE'S safety. The worst that they're guilty of is being a general irritating nuisance on their college campuses, and saying a ton of ridiculously asinine, stupid shit on the internet that's had the unintentional side-effect of "triggering" mentally-unstable manchildren on places like /pol/ into goose-stepping their way into fascist extremist beliefs and actions.

The alt-right, by contrast, while they're also a minority fringe overall, are in comparison to the Tumblr SJW crowd a MUCH more relatively larger minority, and who's knuckle-draggingly stupid, uneducated, ahistorical, imbecilic rantings online have actually yielded TANGIBLE real world consequences - largely via both rhetorical and legislative pressure on one of the two mainstream U.S. parties (the one that's actually susceptible to caving into pressure from its base and is far less prone to fighting against it, no matter how stupid and insane of a direction it wants to lurch its way towards), as well as actual real world acts of physical violence - that have had an actual impact (none of it for the better) on a lot of ordinary people's lives.

Basically if you can honestly look around you at a political and social landscape where one the one hand, you have a tiny assortment of college dipshits who's whole extent of societal impact is irritating easily-goaded man-infants by going online and loudly over-nitpicking at every conceivable detail in video games and superhero movies than can be remotely considered racist or sexist (and at worst, MAYBE getting one or two of them pulled from a store shelf, or pressuring developers into having their entire roster of female characters wear perhaps a SMALL SHADE more clothing and maybe not QUITE so closely resemble an inflatable-chested Victoria's Secret model; the horror, I know)...

...and on the other hand you have a newer, younger, and growing hate-mob of violently deranged Neo Nazi extremists being indoctrinated and brainwashed into not only committing real-world acts of physical violence that are getting flesh and blood human beings hurt or killed out there, but are also actively and successfully pressuring Republican legislators into pursuing policy-making goals that are doing active and severe harm to the lives of countless millions of people all across the country (which includes, but is in no way at all limited to, grotesquely abhorrent, nauseatingly despicable human rights abuses like this hideous shit...

...If you can look at both of these groups of individuals - mildly annoying college cultural-studies majors whining about video game racism on one side versus violent, mentally unhinged neo fascists who are actively campaigning to legislatively take away human rights from minority groups (when they're not actively plotting to carry out mass killings at least) on the other - and walk away thinking "Yep, these two are TOTALLY equitable sides of the same coin, are both doing an equal amount of damage to society, and are overall stirring up an equal amount of trouble for everyone", then there's simply no nice way to say this:

You're a MASSIVE fucking myopic imbecile (and likely an obscenely sheltered one at that) who has ZERO sense of perspective whatsoever, cannot prioritize worth a damn, and are ENTIRELY too wrapped up in your dumbass little cartoon/video game world online to the point where you've lost any firm grip on reality or on what's ACTUALLY important to people's lives beyond your own personal comfort and luxury.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:42 pm

#IStandWithVic isn't a "side". The only thing on the table right now is dozens of claims of Vic's shitty behavior ranging from being disgustingly handsy with underage girls to full on sexual assault. To take Vic's "side" is to assume one or more of three things:

1. That the vast majority of these accounts are lies

2. That the private businesses that employ him should allow him to continue his predatory behavior (utterly ironic, given the prevailing right-wing rhetoric about right-to-work) until someone has the presence of mind to whip out their camera phone while he's yanking their hair and sticking his tongue in their ear

2. That what he did isn't a big deal

These are positions only a raging misogynist would hold - like the dozens of anti-EssJayDubya manosphere Youtube accounts ready to pounce on shit like this and co-opt it for their own idiotic, farcical crusade.
Special Beam Cannon!

Son Dragon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Son Dragon » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:15 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: You’re insane if you think Funimation will lose DB over this
Small ripples sometimes become bigger ones. After this I'm not quite sure its just Vic who'll be effected. There's a lost of trust here between a lot of parties, no matter who wins in a court case I could easily see many indviduals involved quiting or being relieved of duty
Cursed Lemon wrote: If I'm not misreading this and you're implying that what Monica is accusing Vic of was a "misunderstanding between friends", then congratulations, you have just figured out why some people have "become their worst" over this issue.
No worries, and yeah I think you are somewhat you are misreading/misunderstanding me but that's just how it goes. Basically I'm saying that people are acting out of character. And while I did have some long polite detailed explanation/analysis for you, well since I just accidentlly deleted it by not pasting it into back into the post section before I copied something else, you'll just have to make do with this and we'll have to leave it at that okay. Still thank you though.
Last edited by Son Dragon on Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:22 pm

People are acting "out of character" because this isn't a discussion about DB canon or some inconsequential thing that ultimately doesn't matter in the slightest, this is about people getting hurt in the real world, and some people seem to have an extreme lack of perspective (or an extreme lack of empathy) given that fact.
Special Beam Cannon!

Son Dragon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Son Dragon » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:24 pm

Cursed Lemon wrote:People are acting "out of character" because this isn't a discussion about DB canon or some inconsequential thing that ultimately doesn't matter in the slightest, this is about people getting hurt in the real world, and some people seem to have an extreme lack of perspective (or an extreme lack of empathy) given that fact.
I'm not so sure about that. If people weren't paying attention they wouldn't be in an uproar but I think that uproar is some of what caused it to spiral out of control in the first place.
Last edited by Son Dragon on Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:24 pm

Cursed Lemon wrote:So I really just can't help but wonder if lurking inside this forum (as well as other choice places on the internet) is a slew of zit-faced 16-year-old ignoramuses puffing their chests out with pride at their own rape skepticism like they are god's gift to scholarly thinking, when in reality they have exactly zero world experience and don't know shit about fuck. Because that is the strong implication that I am getting right now.
Two things:

1) Having been around the block with both this place in particular as well as the internet in general for ENTIRELY, shamefully too fucking long... I can indeed confirm with utmost certainly that this is more or less about the exact, precise, dead-the-fuck-to-rights gist of what's going on here. Like, picture-perfectly stated.

2) I'd like to nominate that entire post that this above quote is excerpted from for some kind of award. No really, that was a genuine work of art: I want it framed in a museum.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:19 pm

I never said that both the alt right and the far left were exactly the same so I dunno why you calling me an imbecile. I know the social and political power differences but when it comes to social media, both can be very annoying.

Like, this ain't a college course...
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:41 pm

I ask to eveyone linking to youtube videos, why can't you just transcript the arguments made in the video? If you had the time to watch it all the way through then you should have the time to write in decent detail (more than just a single sentence) what the youtuber points were.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.