Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Scsigs
I Live Here

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Scsigs » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:50 pm

DBZfan29 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:11 pm The responses on Twitter to this announcement make me cringe so hard. It says “more details to come” and people respond with “new Super episodes?” or “Goku is coming to Smash?!” Then there’s the people who want to boycott FUNi over the Vic situation by not buying this. I need to stay off Twitter. :lol:
The people who're legit wanting more Super episodes rather than this disappoint me. We FINALLY get another chance to get a proper release of this series in the US that isn't just a straight port of the Japanese one & those people are wanting Super over that. I think people's priorities are skewed.
Goku coming to Smash is a meme that needs to die.
The Vic situation, just to say this, is honestly not FUNi's fault. They fired him to protect their asses should his allegations be ruled 100% true. I don't agree with firing him, but I get why they did it. However, that shouldn't stop you from wanting better things from a company that's proved itself capable of greatness in the past.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:55 pm

DBZfan29 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:11 pm The responses on Twitter to this announcement make me cringe so hard. It says “more details to come” and people respond with “new Super episodes?” or “Goku is coming to Smash?!” Then there’s the people who want to boycott FUNi over the Vic situation by not buying this. I need to stay off Twitter. :lol:
Holy shit, these people are so obnoxious. Then again, most people whining in the Twitter comments over unrelated topics were never going to buy this anyway, they already have their orange bricks. This is not meant for them.

However, if people like this somehow prevent this from coming stateside if this is any way what it seems like it'll be, I'll be absolutely furious.

DBZimran
Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZimran » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:20 pm

Char Aznable wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:55 pm
Holy shit, these people are so obnoxious. Then again, most people whining in the Twitter comments over unrelated topics were never going to buy this anyway, they already have their orange bricks. This is not meant for them.

However, if people like this somehow prevent this from coming stateside if this is any way what it seems like it'll be, I'll be absolutely furious.
It is so hard not to say something snobby, but God do I regret Dragon Ball getting into the mainstream sometimes. *face palm* If that #firstshot post is an actual screenshot of the 30th Anniversary release then so help me god.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:28 pm

Well, this is funny. I don't own any US release of DBZ to date, because I didn't want Orange Bricks because of cropping and bad picture blur, then the level sets started, they were kinda expensive and got cut early. Then there is Kai. Therefore, outside of Dragon Box, which would've been my release of choice, there is no release with english subtitles worth importing for me. Sadly, I missed the Dragon Box, as I had some rough time with personal issues, being young and fresh after school and nowadays, with HD TV, the DVD format for me is useless.

On topic - now, Funimation announces anniversary release, with some additional stuff, that I have no need for and doesn't announce what will the actual series look like, the main selling point? Well, good luck with preorders. I have no doubt that people will reach the 2500 quota, but seriously, Dragon Ball is the most mishandled property that Funimation have! Of course, they have learned by now and DB Kai has proper dub and everything goes on point with original Japanese releases from Kai to Super. But that monster in the closet in form of the original DBZ dub won't ever go away. Those crappy releases won't go away either, except for Dragon Box.

I will wait for the reveal. If the series will be released with original Japanese audio, in original 4:3 format and english subs, without any pseudo remaster in some retail form without anything like Master Stars figure and hastily put together art book and won't cost more than 200 bucks, I am in.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:58 pm

MCDaveG wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:28 pmIf...[it]...won't cost more than 200 bucks, I am in.
It's a fancy collector's boxset. FUNi's current, cheap, shitty Blu-ray Disc release costs $400. Why would the new, better version be 50% or 60% cheaper?

People, stop being so illogical. Please. This isn't Twitter. We're better than that, rite?. :/
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:58 pm

DBZimran wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:20 pm

It is so hard not to say something snobby, but God do I regret Dragon Ball getting into the mainstream sometimes. *face palm* If that #firstshot post is an actual screenshot of the 30th Anniversary release then so help me god.
I must've missed that today. Why does it look like it's in 16:9? Either Toei is trolling or they're really doing 16:9 again, which at this point is just going to be hilarious in a very infuriating way.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:05 pm

Char Aznable wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:58 pm
DBZimran wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:20 pm

I must've missed that today. Why does it look like it's in 16:9? Either Toei is trolling or they're really doing 16:9 again, which at this point is just going to be hilarious in a very infuriating way.
I really hope that is not the case and they're not going faux widescreen again, because i could imagine the intense backlash that would ensue unless Toei really is just pulling people's legs.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Spoofer

Post by Spoofer » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:11 pm

DBZimran wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:20 pm *face palm* If that #firstshot post is an actual screenshot of the 30th Anniversary release then so help me god.
lol...

Additionally, again, seeing as how Bebop's turnaround (with reused discs) was 6 months, and Funi wouldn't use only a one or two-month pre-order period and then lock people into something that would take over a year to get to them (outside of something like on Kickstarter), think about this: To remaster, reauthor, do all the legwork to redevelop and test a new Blu-ray set consisting of 291 episodes, that would take a helluva lot of time. One would assume it would already be in the works prior to making the announcement to begin with. But, then you add the information we have about Funi not going through with this set if it doesn't reach 2,500 pledges on top. That might just be PR lipservice, assuming that there's no way they won't get that amount, or that they'd still produce the set regardless. But they stayed true to their word for Bebop, not producing the two sets that didn't get the necessary pledges. And then you'd have to reconcile whether you believe Funi would have been putting in all that likely work and time investment into remastering this series ahead of time, if they would create a mandate that they'll simply cancel it if they don't get the 2,500. That doesn't sound like a sound investment/release strategy, especially after they burned themselves on the Level sets...

Again, IDK guys... Right now the 4/3 imagery on Twitter is the only thing that even hints at the 4:3 remaster we all want, and I wouldn't put it past Funi to do something incredibly stupid like simply wanting their announcement to showcase two dragon balls which happen to add up to 7, or still referencing a date like 4/3 for when the actual pledge drive goes live. Again, it's still a strong hint at 4:3, but the logistics of actually pulling this remaster off with the information we have available, the timeframes we know and can extrapolate from the near-identical Bebop reveal, and how much the actual pledge site emphasizes the physicality of this CE... And now with how lulzy this 16:9 #firstshot tease the Monday after the CE reveal is... I'm just gonna bust out laughing if it's the same discs as before.

I'll also point out that the Toei shot is clearly cropped even further at the bottom, and looking at Funi's stream, happens to be cropped at exactly the point where the Funimation logo is present if they just screenscapped it. Same exact colors, too. Okay, they might've just been lazy and swiped the shot from Funi's branded stream or whatever, but is that an encouraging sign? Certainly a more encouraging one would have been an actual 4:3 remastered shot from their internal masters... Especially since Toei posted this, and since you're all holding out hope for a Toei remaster.

Again, I hope I'm wrong, but lol...
Last edited by Spoofer on Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:30 pm, edited 5 times in total.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:13 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:58 pm
MCDaveG wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:28 pmIf...[it]...won't cost more than 200 bucks, I am in.
It's a fancy collector's boxset. FUNi's current, cheap, shitty Blu-ray Disc release costs $400. Why would the new, better version be 50% or 60% cheaper?

People, stop being so illogical. Please. This isn't Twitter. We're better than that, rite?. :/
IDK, maybe because other fancy collector's boxsets are cheaper :)
Limited edition of Batman TAS went for 180 bucks... right, it is less episodes, but it went trough remaster as well.

Well, I can see them selling the set for 500 bucks all right. But look at it from the side of people on twitter.
After years of shit releases, there is no info at all and Funi is entitled for preorders.
If the release will be 4:3, good picture quality, japanese original audio in original format (that being Opening, recap, title card in Japanese, commercial jingles, ending, preview), I can think about that.
Also, adding repainted Master Stars figure is lame and I wonder, what the book will be.
I am that working idiot, who will buy all the DLC to games from AAA games like Batman Arkham to franchise games like Gundam Versus (which with all the DLC goes over 200 bucks), but you know what? I want to know, what I am buying and if it is worth it.
I will even pay more for shipping in case of me buying this, so there is that.

We are better that that, so let's see, how good is Funimation.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:27 pm

MCDaveG wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:13 pm But look at it from the side of people on twitter.
When aren't the Twitterettes angry, eh? lol

Whether it'll cost $250 or $500, that's up to TOEI/FUNi to decide. Could they make it cheaper? Yeah. Will they? Probably not.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:28 pm

Spoofer wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:11 pm
DBZimran wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:20 pm *face palm* If that #firstshot post is an actual screenshot of the 30th Anniversary release then so help me god.
lol...

Additionally, again, seeing as how Bebop's turnaround was 6 months, and Funi wouldn't use only a one or two-month pre-order period and then lock people into something that would take over a year to get to them (outside of something like on KickStarter), think about this: To remaster, reauthor, do all the legwork to redevelop and test a new Blu-ray set consisting of 291 episodes, that would take a helluva lot of time. One would assume it would already be in the works prior to making the announcement to begin with. But, then you add the information we have about Funi not going through with this set if it doesn't reach 2,500 pledges on top. That might just be PR lipservice, assuming that there's no way they won't get that amount, or that they'd still produce the set regardless. But they stayed true to their word for Bebop, not producing the two sets that didn't get the necessary pledges. And then you'd have to reconcile whether you believe Funi would have been putting in all that likely work and time investment into remastering this series ahead of time, if they would create a mandate that they'll simply cancel it if they don't get the 2,500. That doesn't sound like a sound investment/release strategy, especially after they burned themselves on the Level sets...

Again, IDK guys... Right now the 4/3 imagery on Twitter is the only thing that even hints at the 4:3 remaster we all want, and I wouldn't put it past Funi to do something incredibly stupid like simply wanting their announcement to showcase two dragon balls which happen to add up to 7, or still referencing a date like 4/3 for when the actual pledge drive goes live. Again, it's still a strong hint at 4:3, but the logistics of actually pulling this remaster off with the information we have available, the timeframes we know and can extrapolate from the near-identical Bebop reveal, and how much the actual pledge site emphasizes the physicality of this CE... And now with how lulzy this 16:9 #firstshot tease the Monday after the CE reveal is... I'm just gonna bust out laughing if it's the same discs as before.

I'll also point out that the Toei shot is clearly cropped even further at the bottom, and looking at Funi's stream, happens to be cropped at exactly the point where the Funimation logo is present. Okay, they might've just been lazy and swiped the shot from Funi's branded stream master or whatever, but is that an encouraging sign? Certainly a more encouraging one would have been an actual 4:3 remastered shot from their internal masters... Especially since Toei posted this, and you're all holding out hope for a Toei remaster.

Hey next week I'm going to have my Dragon Boxes again finally and I spent a lot of money on them, if this release turns out to be a bust at least I don't have to spend money on it. If this is 16:9 too then that would mean the DBoxes are it, that was the last time you'll be able to buy DBZ in 4:3 and we can all thank FUNimation for starting this stupid practice with those garbage orange bricks in the first place.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:34 pm

Char Aznable wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:28 pm
Spoofer wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:11 pm
lol...

Additionally, again, seeing as how Bebop's turnaround was 6 months, and Funi wouldn't use only a one or two-month pre-order period and then lock people into something that would take over a year to get to them (outside of something like on KickStarter), think about this: To remaster, reauthor, do all the legwork to redevelop and test a new Blu-ray set consisting of 291 episodes, that would take a helluva lot of time. One would assume it would already be in the works prior to making the announcement to begin with. But, then you add the information we have about Funi not going through with this set if it doesn't reach 2,500 pledges on top. That might just be PR lipservice, assuming that there's no way they won't get that amount, or that they'd still produce the set regardless. But they stayed true to their word for Bebop, not producing the two sets that didn't get the necessary pledges. And then you'd have to reconcile whether you believe Funi would have been putting in all that likely work and time investment into remastering this series ahead of time, if they would create a mandate that they'll simply cancel it if they don't get the 2,500. That doesn't sound like a sound investment/release strategy, especially after they burned themselves on the Level sets...

I'll also point out that the Toei shot is clearly cropped even further at the bottom, and looking at Funi's stream, happens to be cropped at exactly the point where the Funimation logo is present. Okay, they might've just been lazy and swiped the shot from Funi's branded stream master or whatever, but is that an encouraging sign? Certainly a more encouraging one would have been an actual 4:3 remastered shot from their internal masters... Especially since Toei posted this, and you're all holding out hope for a Toei remaster.

Hey next week I'm going to have my Dragon Boxes again finally and I spent a lot of money on them, if this release turns out to be a bust at least I don't have to spend money on it. If this is 16:9 too then that would mean the DBoxes are it, that was the last time you'll be able to buy DBZ in 4:3 and we can all thank FUNimation for starting this stupid practice with those garbage orange bricks in the first place.
I mean, if it turns out that this set isn't what we thought it would be then i am definitely hanging onto my FUNi Dragon Boxes too.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Spoofer

Post by Spoofer » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:44 pm

MCDaveG wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:13 pm IDK, maybe because other fancy collector's boxsets are cheaper :)
Limited edition of Batman TAS went for 180 bucks... right, it is less episodes, but it went trough remaster as well.
Funi's typical LEs are... I mean I guess I'd say they're around midrange in price, $85 for a single cour, a sturdy box, and some simple physical bonuses. But they're definitely more expensive than the standard versions, with around a 50-70% markup. The problem is, as I've said a billion times by now, the cheapest option via Funi's previous near-identical Bebop pledge drive had over a 400% markup for physical items of a bit higher quality, along with CE prestige. The Bebop option including a hardcover artbook and bookend figures (similar to what Funi might be planning for DBZ) had over 900 (/cough0) % markup compared to the standard base show alone. And again, Bebop had 26 episodes compared to 291. The only thing that I imagine would stop this CE from being ridiculously pricey is Funi's possible concerns about pricing at least 2,500 whales out of buying it, so, hopefully they'll be more careful and conservative with inflating the price (especially after Bebop's two most expensive options crashed and burned), but given DBZ's wide appeal to now-adults with higher disposable income, who knows. But I certainly don't think anyone should expect it to be cheaper than the current price to buy the series now, especially if they remaster the show.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:54 pm

MCDaveG wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:13 pmIDK, maybe because other fancy collector's boxsets are cheaper :)

Well, I can see them selling the set for 500 bucks all right. But look at it from the side of people on twitter.
After years of shit releases, there is no info at all and Funi is entitled for preorders.
If the release will be 4:3, good picture quality, japanese original audio in original format (that being Opening, recap, title card in Japanese, commercial jingles, ending, preview), I can think about that.
Also, adding repainted Master Stars figure is lame and I wonder, what the book will be.
I am that working idiot, who will buy all the DLC to games from AAA games like Batman Arkham to franchise games like Gundam Versus (which with all the DLC goes over 200 bucks), but you know what? I want to know, what I am buying and if it is worth it.
I will even pay more for shipping in case of me buying this, so there is that.

We are better that that, so let's see, how good is Funimation.
"It is less episodes." That right there should be enough to make it obvious how ridiculous that price would be for DBZ.
Why are you fine paying $2.11 per Batman episode, but think $1.36 per DBZ episode is too much? If DBZ were sold for $180, then the episodes would be 61¢ each. That's more like how much the current shitty release costs thanks to stores selling it for 38% off the MSRP. And then if this set gets the same 38% discount, then it would be only $68 for all 291 episodes, making it 23¢ per episode, and about $100 cheaper than the current shitty release...for a collectors boxset, with an artbook and figure. That would be Funimation's stupidest decision ever.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Spoofer

Post by Spoofer » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:00 pm

To be fair, 500 episodes of DBZ (or, like, however many it actually was =p) take place within 5 minutes on Namek, so you can argue Batman episodes (or episodes of anything, really), command more value in terms of actual content than much of DBZ's infamous filler and pacing. XD I imagine that's thankfully one of the reasons why DBZ initially cost well over $1,000 to fully own (well, as fully as possible) when they were first releasing the singles, but later on Funi acknowledged the show was no longer worth anywhere near that much as more and more anime flooded store shelves (along with recognizing they'd make more selling cheaper sets to more people who could afford it, which incidentally is the exact opposite of what they did with the Bebop CE, and given the month-long exclusivity and limited production of this set, seemingly with this one as well). 291 episodes of DBZ is certainly worth more than 26 or 52 episodes of other anime, but I wouldn't necessarily expect the price value to scale linearly.

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:15 pm

So, we all know the only reason they're not using a crowdfunding site like Kickstarter is because they would legally have to release these details before asking for money right? I'm lucky enough to own the Dragon Boxes which is the only complete, unedited, and uncut release DBZ has ever had in the US. Whatever this set contains, I'll happily pass.

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:22 pm

Funi is probably thinking, 'These fu**ing fans always find a way to read between the lines and find sh** we never meant to say'

4 and 3 star balls probably just meant to symbolize 7 Dragon Balls....
El Conejo Malo

American Pelican
Not-So-Newbie

Post by American Pelican » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:45 pm

Bardo117 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:22 pm Funi is probably thinking, 'These fu**ing fans always find a way to read between the lines and find sh** we never meant to say'

In that case they could have used the seven star ball, or smaller pictures of all 7 balls. 4:3 in in no way guaranteed, but it isn't the most crazy out-there interpretation either.
Beat it! And take your planet with you!

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:50 pm

Gligarman wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:15 pm So, we all know the only reason they're not using a crowdfunding site like Kickstarter is because they would legally have to release these details before asking for money right? I'm lucky enough to own the Dragon Boxes which is the only complete, unedited, and uncut release DBZ has ever had in the US. Whatever this set contains, I'll happily pass.
I mean, they're going to have to give us details on how the episodes are anyways. Otherwise they could be sued or fined or something for either false advertising or not giving details on what people are buying. To compound this issue, they ALWAYS say what aspect ratio their products have both on the products & product pages. As I've brought up, they know a lot of fans aren't happy with their previous sets & they've always done something to make up for them. The Dragon Boxes came out to make up for the Orange Bricks & this could be their way to make up for cancelling the level sets & the shitty season set Blu-Rays.
Bardo117 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:22 pm Funi is probably thinking, 'These fu**ing fans always find a way to read between the lines and find sh** we never meant to say.'

I mean, it IS just speculation, but it makes sense, considering the official picture they posted with the announcement was the 4-star ball, then the 3. If it were meant to reference all 7, they would've put all 7. Simple as that.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:24 pm

Watch, the 3 and 4 star balls will just mean April 3rd which is when the details go up for this brand new rerelease and/or new remaster of the show in glorious 16:9 THE WAY IT WAS MEANT TO BE SEEN. $500!