"Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - (Non) Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" CONTINUATION - Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by AnimeNation101 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:53 pm

dbgtFO wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:07 pm
AnimeNation101 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:27 am Here’s what I'm seeing.

Some staff of DBS were kind enough to give us info that 2uper is happening. Yet you’re held up on your thoughts that the staff should be fired BECAUSE they were kind enough to give us this info. Why?
Is it kindness, if it goes against contractual obligations of the company employing them? Or is it simply so unbearable for fans to wait another month for the official announcement, that leaking the information is thus a kind thing to do?
I mean, if they really go and do things they aren't allowed to, then I don't see the problem with them suffering the consequences. They can only blame themselves for their stupidity, if that's the case.
So what you’re saying is you feel bad for Toei and want justice for them by having people who did us a risky favor lose their jobs?
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

jelleline89
Beyond Newbie

Post by jelleline89 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:58 pm

Only guilty party I see here are the people milking this information for all it's worth. I'll cut Ajay slack since he only discussed this on Twitter, but Geekdom101 went all out. He made a YouTube video, and promoted it on Twitter as "exclusive" and "you heard it here first". A quick scan of his recent video views will tell you why. His videos usually only surpass 150k views when it's news related.

It's on thing for insider sources to leak stuff, but I find it absolutely disgusting how Geekdom101 chose to handle this situation. His first priority is clearly pushing his channel by whatever means necessary.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:10 pm

jelleline89 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:58 pm Only guilty party I see here are the people milking this information for all it's worth. I'll cut Ajay slack since he only discussed this on Twitter, but Geekdom101 went all out. He made a YouTube video, and promoted it on Twitter as "exclusive" and "you heard it here first". A quick scan of his recent video views will tell you why. His videos usually only surpass 150k views when it's news related.

It's on thing for insider sources to leak stuff, but I find it absolutely disgusting how Geekdom101 chose to handle this situation. His first priority is clearly pushing his channel by whatever means necessary.
Yeah that stuff rubs me the wrong way. It seems the YT decided to out their sources even if they didn't name they outed he is an animator, for street cred. If you have knowledge of something sometimes you need to just respect your sources and the community but not saying anything. Just let Toei do their thing.

And I think I saw a tweet of Yonkou having a go at IGN. Just unbelievable. These guys need to get of their high horses. It is still technically unconfirmed until an official announcement.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:35 pm

Better argument: there are much better and easier reasons to make fun of IGN.

Paulo Gabriel
Banned

Post by Paulo Gabriel » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:33 am

Cipher wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:50 pm I hope they retell Battle of Gods and Resurrection "F" again.
AGAIN??? Hahaha.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:17 am

AnimeNation101 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:53 pm

Some staff of DBS were kind enough to give us info that 2uper is happening. Yet you’re held up on your thoughts that the staff should be fired BECAUSE they were kind enough to give us this info. Why?
Is it kindness, if it goes against contractual obligations of the company employing them? Or is it simply so unbearable for fans to wait another month for the official announcement, that leaking the information is thus a kind thing to do?
I mean, if they really go and do things they aren't allowed to, then I don't see the problem with them suffering the consequences. They can only blame themselves for their stupidity, if that's the case.
So what you’re saying is you feel bad for Toei and want justice for them by having people who did us a risky favor lose their jobs?
As the saying goes, 'don't do the crime, if you can't do the time'. In this case, if you signed a contract and then break it, you then can't cry about it.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:12 am

You know, as a graphic designer, I have strict embargo on letting out anything out of my company, before it is released readily and publicly.
There is reason for that, as what goes out is what people should see and you won't be under scrutiny or reviews for things that aren't finished.
Therefore, yay, I am happy to hear that Super is coming back if that is true, but if the info is from employees, they probably know that it is not professional to leak info and in doing so, they are going against their employer's policy...
It is not good thing to go against the people that hire you to do your job based on contract, as DBS is the property of said company and employee does not have any rights to do what he pleases with something that is not his.
Therefore, yeah, the leakers shall be fired, if they are identified, because it is mechanism to protect the company.
It is not so long ago, that there was leaker on this forum, showing photos from studio as he was working on then Dragon Ball Kai in Phillipines... he was fired right away by TOEI and it probably wasn't pleasant at all, as we haven't heard from him since.

As a fan and human being, yeah, that is harsh and I do not wish that for anyone, but beware, that acting this way is highly unprofessional and you should think about the consequences and your working morale, when doing so.
Losing your job, because you made some fans happy and had a moment of enlightment and felt important, is not worth it.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:10 am

HeroR wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:17 am
As the saying goes, 'don't do the crime, if you can't do the time'. In this case, if you signed a contract and then break it, you then can't cry about it.
Can’t say I disagree with you.

I’m surely happy to hear that Shintani will keep being the character designer (about Super coming back, that was obvious) but I don’t understand what these insiders are gaining from leaking all of this. I could understand if they told Ajay and company out of friendship, but it seems like they gave them the OK to make this information public for some reason.

Of course I hope nothing will happen to them, but if I worked at Toei/Shueisha and were involved with the marketing aspects of Super’s return, I would be very mad right now and would try to figure out just who the heck is leaking stuff, and taking appropriate measures to avoid more information getting leaked.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:09 am

I'm kind of conflicted here.

On one hand: All of this prompted me to watch Geekdom's video. I still have my doubts but I do have to admit, it seems like he genuinely believes Super is returning in July. He's either a really good actor, way too sure of himself, or this might all be legit.

Then again: If this was such a sure thing then why aren't there more leaks? As of right now it's just a bunch of "He said so. He's popular so Believe it! he isn't wrong this time I swearsies!!!" I'd figure there'd be scans. I guess it isn't too late, it isn't even April yet.

I guess I'm sold for now. Though I'll get suspicious again if something like this happens this. You can't just call it off at the last minute, especially now when there's two months worth of hype.

I still never got my answer. With situations like that, shouldn't Ajay's sources tell him before the public becomes aware that nothing is coming? The Jump Festa blunder wouldn't have happened.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:28 am

The idea that Toei is giving the ok on purpose to leak things to people they know have big YouTube audiences because it's free marketing and apparently Marvel also does it is the theory I'm agreeing with atm.

It's still kind of difficult for me to get excited though since the one remaining piece of information--the story/plot--is still unknown. Right now I'm not enthused by Moro and I can't imagine a TV version of Brolli would be more impressive than the movie.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:24 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:09 am I guess I'm sold for now. Though I'll get suspicious again if something like this happens this. You can't just call it off at the last minute, especially now when there's two months worth of hype.

I still never got my answer. With situations like that, shouldn't Ajay's sources tell him before the public becomes aware that nothing is coming? The Jump Festa blunder wouldn't have happened.
Just so we're clear, I retracted April months and months and months ago. The tweet you keep posting was literally just me pondering what might have happened there. I didn't just suddenly change my mind at the last minute. I deleted the tweet because ComicBook.com have a habit of taking anything I post, and turning it into a stupid article. I figured I'd post it again once all this stuff came out so if they did run with it, at least they'd be doing so with proper context.

Don't really have anything to say about Jump Festa. Never claimed to have any inside sources there - and I don't think anyone did (?) - that was a community-wide presumption beyond just content creators. A misfounded guess in retrospect, but nothing more than very clearly defined speculation. Let's not turn that into something it's not. I know 4chan loves to do that, but I'd expect better of this website.
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:10 pm It seems the YT decided to out their sources even if they didn't name they outed he is an animator, for street cred.
Toei have literally thousands of animators across multiple countries working for them. A generic "animator" description means nothing, particularly if you don't mention a specific role or sub-studio. It's not one just one person, either - we're up to over 10 different confirmations at this point (5 when it went public), all from different parts of the production pipeline. I've no interest in putting people's jobs on the line, and have and will continue to sit on information and material that does put specific people at risk. Moreover, if I personally wanted street cred, I'd have made a YouTube video. It's just nice to share excitement with other fans. I appreciate not everyone's been acting like that, though.

-

For full disclosure: I learnt this information many weeks ago, and had planned to say nothing until next month. It was only when I was made aware of this Twitter account that popped up and started sharing corroborative information that I made the decision to pass my information on myself. Contrary to claims, nobody I know was actually first.

I don't agree with genuine ego-stroking, and I definitely don't agree with belittling IGN for doing their jobs. I sympathise with skeptics, and I appreciate not everyone cares for leaks. I find it strange to go to bat for a corporate entity, but it is what it is.

The scrutiny, pressure, and negative presumptions aren't very fun, but I guess I should have seen it coming. I don't think I'll be doing this again; it's really not worth it. And hey, if 10+ independent people misled me and this turns out to be a dud, then I'm pretty much dead in the water as far as this line of work goes! Scary stuff. You don't put your neck on the line like this for clicks and street cred.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:46 pm

Ajay wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:24 pm
IntangibleFancy wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:09 am I guess I'm sold for now. Though I'll get suspicious again if something like this happens this. You can't just call it off at the last minute, especially now when there's two months worth of hype.

Just so we're clear, I retracted April months and months and months ago. The tweet you keep posting was literally just me pondering what might have happened there. I didn't just suddenly change my mind at the last minute. I deleted the tweet because ComicBook.com have a habit of taking anything I post, and turning it into a stupid article. I figured I'd post it again once all this stuff came out so if they did run with it, at least they'd be doing so with proper context.

Don't really have anything to say about Jump Festa. Never claimed to have any inside sources there - and I don't think anyone did (?) - that was a community-wide presumption beyond just content creators. A misfounded guess in retrospect, but nothing more than very clearly defined speculation. Let's not turn that into something it's not. I know 4chan loves to do that, but I'd expect better of this website.
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:10 pm It seems the YT decided to out their sources even if they didn't name they outed he is an animator, for street cred.
Toei have literally thousands of animators across multiple countries working for them. A generic "animator" description means nothing, particularly if you don't mention a specific role or sub-studio. It's not one just one person, either - we're up to over 10 different confirmations at this point (5 when it went public), all from different parts of the production pipeline. I've no interest in putting people's jobs on the line, and have and will continue to sit on information and material that does put specific people at risk. Moreover, if I personally wanted street cred, I'd have made a YouTube video. It's just nice to share excitement with other fans. I appreciate not everyone's been acting like that, though.

-

For full disclosure: I learnt this information many weeks ago, and had planned to say nothing until next month. It was only when I was made aware of this Twitter account that popped up and started sharing corroborative information that I made the decision to pass my information on myself. Contrary to claims, nobody I know was actually first.

I don't agree with genuine ego-stroking, and I definitely don't agree with belittling IGN for doing their jobs. I sympathise with skeptics, and I appreciate not everyone cares for leaks. I find it strange to go to bat for a corporate entity, but it is what it is.

The scrutiny, pressure, and negative presumptions aren't very fun, but I guess I should have seen it coming. I don't think I'll be doing this again; it's really not worth it. And hey, if 10+ independent people misled me and this turns out to be a dud, then I'm pretty much dead in the water as far as this line of work goes! Scary stuff. You don't put your neck on the line like this for clicks and street cred.
Fair enough. I'm sold.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:46 pm

Guys ask yourself this do Ajay and Geekdom really need to lie to get subscribers at this point? That would be incredibly stupid and it’s not what their accounts are based on. They would be losing a lot of creditabilty if they weren’t 100% sure about the information they were sharing. And of course they can’t share names of the sources it should be enough for everyone here that they are saying the sources are coming from Toei in Japan.

It’s good to be mistrustful especially of youtubers and da do twitter accounts because a lot will just post something for views, clicks and RT. But if anyone thinks Geekdom or Ajay would do something like that when they already have good reputations in the fandom and industry are just in denial.

It’s not wrong to be suspicious but it is also really Important to understand how to discern a good source from a bad one.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:20 pm

I didn't really see that much skepticism thrown around (here at least). I'd say most people believed Ajay and Geekdome because of their track record.

For the record, I found the subtle-not-so-subtle tweets alluding to 2uper fun and engaging. Guess that's the end of that :(

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:47 pm

I think everyone's being a bit too hard on Ajay and Geekdom and I have zero bias on whether they do well or not. Leaks happen for nearly everything, as content creators if you dont cover that stuff first, everyone else does and now you are way worse off. And why put yourself in that position? To gain imaginary favour from TOEI? Haha no.

TOEI will still get their official announcement, it will be great and have a couple new details to generate its own excitement (like the content, animation style etc).

The denials are dumb, silence would have been nost effective.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:18 pm

nato25 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:47 pmThe denials are dumb, silence would have been nost effective.
This is the thing that boggles my mind the most with Toei. Like, if they not said anything about Super episodes being in production, there would have been less people talking about Super coming back in general, as Toei would have seen the rumors are something not worth their time to even comment on. Giving off more of an idea that Super (2.0) isn't happening. But that fact that they have very quickly shut down EVERY rumor about Super (2.0) being a thing, only adds more fuel to the fire.

They should have just kept their mouth shut from day one.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:59 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:10 pm
jelleline89 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:58 pm Only guilty party I see here are the people milking this information for all it's worth. I'll cut Ajay slack since he only discussed this on Twitter, but Geekdom101 went all out. He made a YouTube video, and promoted it on Twitter as "exclusive" and "you heard it here first". A quick scan of his recent video views will tell you why. His videos usually only surpass 150k views when it's news related.

Yeah that stuff rubs me the wrong way. It seems the YT decided to out their sources even if they didn't name they outed he is an animator, for street cred. If you have knowledge of something sometimes you need to just respect your sources and the community but not saying anything. Just let Toei do their thing.

And I think I saw a tweet of Yonkou having a go at IGN. Just unbelievable. These guys need to get of their high horses. It is still technically unconfirmed until an official announcement.
I think its much more that not just them, but people who know better are basically bashing IGN for the fact that they’re taking Toei’s “debunk” to heart, automatically pushing it as truth. And as a journalist/news site, them basically saying “a company denied a rumor so its false” is stupid. Especially considering the fact that this incident has happened twice now. They should find that at least a little suspicious and know that a company’s claims aren’t always the truth and that they could easily be lying so they get to announce it and surprise everyone.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:17 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:59 pm

I think its much more that not just them, but people who know better are basically bashing IGN for the fact that they’re taking Toei’s “debunk” to heart, automatically pushing it as truth. And as a journalist/news site, them basically saying “a company denied a rumor so its false” is stupid. Especially considering the fact that this incident has happened twice now. They should find that at least a little suspicious and know that a company’s claims aren’t always the truth and that they could easily be lying so they get to announce it and surprise everyone.
As of right now, there is literally nothing pointing towards 2.0 besides what Geekdom and Ajay say. 2.0 is pretty obvious but there isn't any concrete info. I don't like IGN but they are completely in the right. They're an official company, after all. Say they did believe two random internet celebrities, on the 2/10 percent chance Geekdom and Ajay are wrong IGN would lose credibility and face even more backlash than they have now.

I'd also like to point out that fans that only accept official news (or leaked info provided by a certified official/acquaintance of an official in this case) do exist. I'm one of them. There has to be more than just me. Think about how the ones that follow IGN would feel? Especially if Geekdom and Ajay turn up wrong. Even if they're right I still feel like officials shouldn't stick to youtubers. It's extremely unprofessional.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:34 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:17 pm
AnimeNation101 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:59 pm

As of right now, there is literally nothing pointing towards 2.0 besides what Geekdom and Ajay say. 2.0 is pretty obvious but there isn't any concrete info. I don't like IGN but they are completely in the right. They're an official company, after all. Say they did believe two random internet celebrities, on the 2/10 percent chance Geekdom and Ajay are wrong IGN would lose credibility and face even more backlash than they have now.

I'd also like to point out that fans that only accept official news (or leaked info provided by a certified official/acquaintance of an official in this case) do exist. I'm one of them. There has to be more than just me. Think about how the ones that follow IGN would feel? Especially if Geekdom and Ajay turn up wrong. Even if they're right I still feel like officials shouldn't stick to youtubers. It's extremely unprofessional.
Welp, that has nothing to do with what I just said but let me just tell you that you’re of the vocal minority. Considering many of us get our news info from youtubers and Geekdom and Ajay are known in our community as no bullshit, no nonsense youtubers who have been previously established to have inside info with Geekdom specifically having a strong care for his reputation as he strives to be none as the most credible youtuber for DB.

So the conclusion to this is just that the people who know these youtubers and trust them just end up getting to be hyped sometime before you and people like you get hyped. Nothing wrong with you guys waiting. Never said there was. But again, none of what you responded with has anything to do with my response to Baggie about IGN being ignorant.

Also, no offense but if you’re really saying nothing points to 2uper besides what Geek and Ajay have said, you must be living under the biggest rock in the world. Multiple VA’s have let it slip that 2uper is happening not to mention that a credible website exposed that Toei is creating more dbs episodes with Toei swiftly coming in to hide that and label is as false but i guess you just see it as debunked becuase Toei’s word is always truth. Heck, common sense sais 2uper is coming back.

But you believe what you want. We’ll know sooner or later. But i for one trust the youtubers.

Shounen
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shounen » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:45 am

AnimeNation101 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:34 pm Multiple VA’s have let it slip that 2uper is happening
Multiple? Which VA's?