Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Woodlandbuckle
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Woodlandbuckle » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:58 am

I'm honestly surprised no one has made a video criticizing Vic yet, then again any time I look on YouTube it's always the same five people making videos on this topic. And they always ignore crucial pieces of evidence.
I like Dragon Ball
Twitter
DeviantArt/Renders

Akamay
Beyond Newbie

Post by Akamay » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:33 am

Kunzait_83 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:43 am
Akamay wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:13 amIt would be helpful for people to actually just get to the core of the issue instead of creating all these side distractions.
Here's the core of the issue itself then (for the umpteenth fucking time):
(...)
Yep, I cannot argue with any of your points. I am aware of why things are the way the are.
I just meant that the discussion on other platforms should focus on those core issues you brought up, instead of being whatever this has become.
Kinokima wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:42 am
MozillaVulpix wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:38 am You know what's crazy? All of this drama (although not the underlying politics that caused it) could be resolved for Kamehacon if Vic just voluntarily dropped out. He could have done what Monica is doing, and doing meet-ups in another location. That way, no one would have to boycott Kamehacon, and the extreme Vic supporters can be separated from the people who aren't comfortable around him.

Of course, there would still be an issue of...KickVic people going to that location to protest, or the fact Vic could potentially get back on his bull without any detractors to watch him, but it still sounds way better than the alternative.

But no, the guy had to be greedy and ruin the overall experience for so many fans.
Exactly he did this on purpose. He doesn’t care about Dragon Ball or the fans. Vic is not an idiot he knew this move would cause a major controversy. And that is exactly why he did it.

He is hurting the convention and the fandom by doing this.
Not only that, but him not telling the "fans" to tone it down kinda feels like he wants this situation to get worse.
If he just came out and told people "Knock it off, you guys are going too far", I feel like it would make things look better for him.
Instead Vic just lets a bunch of youtubers and people on twitter spread hate in his name.
It really feels like he just does not care about doing things properly, he just wants the attention.

ssj4
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssj4 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:30 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:43 am
Akamay wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:13 amIt would be helpful for people to actually just get to the core of the issue instead of creating all these side distractions.
Here's the core of the issue itself then (for the umpteenth fucking time):

1) Vic has a long, long list of women accusing him of sexual misconduct. This list extends back to the late 1980s, WELL long before he was even the pseudo non-celebrity he is today.

2) The vast overwhelming majority of the women who've accused Mignogna have ZERO connection or ties to one another.

3) There is a mountain of photographic evidence of Vic being, at a bare minimum, highly inappropriately handsy and grabby with many of his young female fans (the overwhelming majority if not entirety of which is 100% real).

4) Vic's conduct has been a well known, open secret among Convention Staff behind the scenes, and there are people everywhere from other FUNimation employees to even certain members of Team Four Star (who I wish would speak out in this thread and put some of this asinine nonsense to bed once and for all) who have had direct experience in dealing with the behind the scenes sweeping aside of incidents with Vic being inappropriately sexual with young female (and often underage) convention goers.

5) Everything about this situation fits in lockstep with similar patterns involving TONS of other sexual assault scandals, where a predator is allowed by his employers to get away with inappropriate sexual behavior in the workplace for years, sometimes decades, because they're otherwise good for business and the people at the top would rather not rock the boat, not to mention with sexual assault victims holding back their accusations until a LOT of other victims also come out at once, because society has a LONG history of disbelieving and shaming rape and sexual harassment victims.

6) In order for Vic to NOT be guilty, ALL of these accusers, who again go back nearly 30 years ago and have NO connection with one another, would ALL have to be simultaneously lying and ALL have to be working (to one degree or another) in tandem with one another to try and smear this guy. And IF that were indeed the case: to what end? What POSSIBLE motive would there be for dozens upon dozens upon dozens of different women going back 30 years now to all collectively conspire in this long scheme to destroy the reputation of a Z-list nobody of a children's cartoon voice actor who is only a big deal to maybe a few thousand people, at best?

7) Unfortunately, unless there is clear video recordings or DNA evidence, it is almost IMPOSSIBLE (or at a bare minimum INSANELY difficult) to legally prosecute someone on sex crimes (major or minor), regardless of the above overwhelming evidence against them. This has LONG been a VERY serious hurdle in the policing and prevention of sex crimes in general going back decades and decades and decades now. Sadly, this means that a LOT of people in the culture who are predisposed to disbelieve rape and sexual assault victims - and this has sadly long historically been a LOT of people all throughout the world in general - will use the lack of criminal charges as "further evidence" to support the accused party being innocent.

8 ) We are currently living in a VERY politically volatile time in general, but particularly in geek media spaces where a whole segment of young men in anime, video game, and comic book fandoms have been being almost systematically indoctrinated politically into supporting far right reactionary political and social views, including the idea that racism and sexism are long-settled issues that are no longer a real problem, and that anyone today who makes claims of having been discriminated against due to race or gender or whatnot - or even any woman who claims to have been raped or sexually assaulted - is inherently lying and making things up in order to get something for themselves (usually at the direct expense of white men).

Thus, you have more people in a space like DB fandom (a fandom that, since the late 90s/early 2000s anyway, was hardly known for having the most well-informed and well-educated fanbase in the world on serious social issues to begin with) than ever before who've been methodically primed now to instantly and immediately react with inherent negativity and open hostility against the accusers/victims in a scandal like this, actual facts and basic logic be damned. Combine that with Vic's personality cult-like fanbase in general (that a totally inconsequential non-celebrity like him even HAS such a fanbase is, in and of itself, fairly pathetic and sad), and you have the kind of warped, twisted scenario that we're facing right now.

A scenario where a guy has been more than credibly outed as being sexually predatory toward young, underage girls at the fan conventions he makes a decent part of his living attending, and COUNTLESS young guys who are total and complete abject STRANGERS to this man and who should have ZERO fucking sensible reason to doubt the word of THIS MANY different and totally disparate accusers, will go on the warpath to defend and lionize this guy and see to it even that he be reinstated at these conventions and act as a potential sexual threat to countless young girls attending.

All because: A) he voiced a cartoon bad guy that they liked when they were 6 and B) because some idiot fuckmooks on Youtube and 4chan have spent the better part of the last 7 years (give or take) convincing them that because some feminists said some nasty things about some video games they liked on the internet, it therefore follows that ALL minorities and women have ALL been lying about having been discriminated against for ALL THESE YEARS now (as part of some asinine elaborate scheme to make people feel guilty about the movies and video games and media that they enjoy because... reasons?), and that straight white guys are ACTUALLY the oppressed ones and are thus owed permission by society to be dominant over everyone else.

THIS is the core crux of the issue here. Most of the rest is bullshit white noise coming from online chucklefucks who are both 1) in DEEP denial about their "voice actor hero" and likely their own personal issues and ignorance with regards to sex and gender issues, and 2) who usually also have a political agenda of their own to grind that they're using this Vic situation as an opportunity to further push: an agenda that they've likely been talked into supporting blindly by any number of various online extremists who have been specifically zeroing in on and targeting online nerd media communities for the better part of the last decade now.
Who from TFS?

Oniman
Banned

Post by Oniman » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:57 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:38 pm
Cursed Lemon wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:30 pm Image
Largely agreed with the sentiment here, except weaboos in general have been on the MAGA train in huge numbers pretty much from the getgo of Trump's candidacy back in 2015.
The ones on /a/ and even those people are probably trolling. 4chan is hardly the place to judge anime fans in general when most people in the western anime fandom are on the left.
Polyphase Avatron wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:32 pm The Islamic terrorist believes that they are saving people's souls from Hell.

The Neo-Nazi believes that they are saving the 'white race' from extinction.

Everyone is the hero of their own story, even if it requires the most ridiculous logic to justify it.
Islamic terrorist are nothing more than a urban boogie men that those right wing nutjobs that want you think are evil and everywhere when they are not. People like Bush and Trump use 9/11 as way to promote their racial views to allow people to hate on Muslim people. Before 9/11, there was no Islamic racism and phobia in the US. People where not scared of Islam before 9/11 and anyone who thinks Islamic Terrorism is that bad needs to get out more. Neo Nazism is way worst and has done more damage to the world. Unite the Right rally was way worst than Boston Marathon bombing. America won't go after Neo Nazis and throw them in jail while they will go after Islamic terrorist. It shows how racist America is still is. FUCK the whole "Freedom of speech" law because if it is okay for someone to support Nazism in the US without hurting anyone, people can support ISIS without hurting anyone.

As a supporter of Islam, 9/11 was a act of justice and not terror because the US destroyed many lives in Afghanistan in the 80s when Ragen try to help Bin Laden against the Soviets. America act like a bunch of cry babies when their people die when the rest of the world deals with 9/11 style attacks every day. America is nothing more than a bunch of spoiled brats who finally got a taste of their own medicine in 2001.

It is why Bush and Trump is why we had stuff like Gamer Gate and I Stand for Vic in the first place. If we had Al Gore from 2001-2008, everything would be so much nicer.
Oh here's to my sweet Satan. The one's who little path would make me sad. Whose power is Satan. He'll give those with him 666.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:21 pm

While I largely agree with many of your sentiments, we cannot and will not sit here and let people advocate for mass murder, retaliatory or otherwise. That's the end of that.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:44 pm

ssj4 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:30 pm
Kunzait_83 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:43 am[Massive Kunzait post]
Who from TFS?
WHY would you do that?!?
Oniman wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:57 pmAs a supporter of Islam, 9/11 was a act of justice and not terror
As a New Zealander, I heavily, HEAVILY disagree with this sentiment.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:59 pm

Oniman wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:57 pmanyone who thinks Islamic Terrorism is that bad needs to get out more.
Oniman wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:57 pm FUCK the whole "Freedom of speech" law because if it is okay for someone to support Nazism in the US without hurting anyone, people can support ISIS without hurting anyone.
Oniman wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:57 pm As a supporter of Islam,
Oniman wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:57 pm 9/11 was a act of justice and not terror because the US destroyed many lives in Afghanistan in the 80s when Ragen try to help Bin Laden against the Soviets.
Oniman wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:57 pmAmerica act like a bunch of cry babies when their people die when the rest of the world deals with 9/11 style attacks every day. America is nothing more than a bunch of spoiled brats who finally got a taste of their own medicine in 2001.

This cannot be real. You CAN NOT be this fucking deluded. Holy. Shit. This is a troll post, right? This is some guy trying to screencap his own post for 4chan or something and say "lolz Kanzenshuu supports murder", right?

Because if not, jesus fucking christ. There is so much to unpack with this I don't even know where to begin.

I'm just gonna go ahead and say that murdering hundreds of innocent people is wrong. Maybe work on understanding that first. It doesn't matter where they're from or what their government has done that was almost entirely out of their control.

No, I'm not interested in demonizing the Muslim religion. I do not fear being blown up by a brown person every day out on the streets. America is privileged compared to many other countries, and I recognize that.

But what you've said here? It's beyond appalling. It's straight fucking bonkers. You need to check into a goddamn mental institution if this is what you believe, I feel genuinely endangered by you. Right now.

ShaggyBlanco
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaggyBlanco » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:04 pm

Holy Shit, The absolute STATE of Kanzenshuu

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:07 pm

Oniman wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:57 pmAs a supporter of Islam, 9/11 was a act of justice and not terror because the US destroyed many lives in Afghanistan in the 80s when Ragen try to help Bin Laden against the Soviets. America act like a bunch of cry babies when their people die when the rest of the world deals with 9/11 style attacks every day. America is nothing more than a bunch of spoiled brats who finally got a taste of their own medicine in 2001.
If you sincerely think that, that's beyond troubling.

There are arguments to be made that the US intervention in Afghanistan in the 80's was a bad (and possibly even immoral) move, but it did not, in any way, justify 9/11. The phrase, "two wrongs don't make a right" comes to mind here...even if one considers 9/11 to be a retaliatory attack, it was nevertheless a retaliatory attack against completely innocent people who had absolutely nothing to do with the U.S. government's foreign policy decisions.
Last edited by TheBlackPaladin on Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:09 pm

Are you fucking kidding me?

First some posters started unsubtly inserting their own unrelated political and social comments despite them clearly being off topic yet don't even get a "please stop that", then those same posters are allowed to go on completely off topic, factually incorrect, tangential, incendiary political rants demonizing anyone to the right of Fidel Castro for pages upon pages without a single comment from the moderation (even when they chide other people for less on the same pages), and now you can outright say "9/11 was good" (obvious troll account btw) without so much as a temp ban and no more severe a warning than "I agree with you, but tone it down"?

This thread is a shithole.
Last edited by RandomGuy96 on Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:09 pm

Oniman wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:57 pm
Kunzait_83 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:38 pm
Cursed Lemon wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:30 pm Image
Largely agreed with the sentiment here, except weaboos in general have been on the MAGA train in huge numbers pretty much from the getgo of Trump's candidacy back in 2015.
The ones on /a/ and even those people are probably trolling. 4chan is hardly the place to judge anime fans in general when most people in the western anime fandom are on the left.
Polyphase Avatron wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:32 pm The Islamic terrorist believes that they are saving people's souls from Hell.

The Neo-Nazi believes that they are saving the 'white race' from extinction.

Everyone is the hero of their own story, even if it requires the most ridiculous logic to justify it.
Islamic terrorist are nothing more than a urban boogie men that those right wing nutjobs that want you think are evil and everywhere when they are not. People like Bush and Trump use 9/11 as way to promote their racial views to allow people to hate on Muslim people. Before 9/11, there was no Islamic racism and phobia in the US. People where not scared of Islam before 9/11 and anyone who thinks Islamic Terrorism is that bad needs to get out more. Neo Nazism is way worst and has done more damage to the world. Unite the Right rally was way worst than Boston Marathon bombing. America won't go after Neo Nazis and throw them in jail while they will go after Islamic terrorist. It shows how racist America is still is. FUCK the whole "Freedom of speech" law because if it is okay for someone to support Nazism in the US without hurting anyone, people can support ISIS without hurting anyone.

As a supporter of Islam, 9/11 was a act of justice and not terror because the US destroyed many lives in Afghanistan in the 80s when Ragen try to help Bin Laden against the Soviets. America act like a bunch of cry babies when their people die when the rest of the world deals with 9/11 style attacks every day. America is nothing more than a bunch of spoiled brats who finally got a taste of their own medicine in 2001.

It is why Bush and Trump is why we had stuff like Gamer Gate and I Stand for Vic in the first place. If we had Al Gore from 2001-2008, everything would be so much nicer.
WTF!!!!!!..... i can't even begin to describe the sheer and quite frankly beyond disturbing level of insanity on display here. This has to be the single most batshit, nut job load of a comment that i have ever seen. Seriously man, are you on crack or something???????
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:29 pm

This entire thread is a shitshow lmao. It's like if 4chan and Resetera had a baby.
VegettoEX wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:21 pm While I largely agree with many of your sentiments, we cannot and will not sit here and let people advocate for mass murder, retaliatory or otherwise. That's the end of that.
Wait....You agree with him???? What the fuck!
Last edited by RedHeat on Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feels over Reals.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:31 pm

Because one crazy person made a horrible post on here which had nothing to do with the topic on hand does not deleigitmize the whole thread.

ShaggyBlanco
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaggyBlanco » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:34 pm

RedHeat wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:29 pm This entire thread is a shitshow lmao. It's like if 4chan and Resetera had a baby.
VegettoEX wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:21 pm While I largely agree with many of your sentiments, we cannot and will not sit here and let people advocate for mass murder, retaliatory or otherwise. That's the end of that.
Wait....You agree with him???? What the fuck!
When people said this thread was bringing the "true face/dark side" of DB's fandom they weren't kidding

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:39 pm

I think it'd be good to let VegettoEX actually clarify what he was saying rather than misrepresenting him as saying "I agree with the guy who said 9/11 was a good thing and justified".

A lot of Muslim hate is manufactured by racism (though it's a unique situation as 9/11 is still one of the largest terrorist attacks period) and Reagan totally did fuck everything up in the 80s. Those are nuggets of truth within a post written by an absolute fucking crazy person (or, again, a troll).

That said I feel like there was probably a better time and place and not prefacing his post with an unspecified "I agree with part of this!" when by all means all anyone should be doing in response to this is condemning the person advocating for mass murder.

BlueChi
Not-So-Newbie

Post by BlueChi » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:46 pm

I love how we got people banned for disagreeing with the original topic but we have a guy advocating for mass murder and the staff lets him go with a slap on the wrist. Not calling for him to be banned, either, but I felt like it needed to be pointed out. Shit's bonkers.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:48 pm

Shaddy wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:39 pm I think it'd be good to let VegettoEX actually clarify what he was saying rather than misrepresenting him as saying "I agree with the guy who said 9/11 was a good thing and justified".

A lot of Muslim hate is manufactured by racism (though it's a unique situation as 9/11 is still one of the largest terrorist attacks period) and Reagan totally did fuck everything up in the 80s. Those are nuggets of truth within a post written by an absolute fucking crazy person (or, again, a troll).

That said I feel like there was probably a better time and place and not prefacing his post with an unspecified "I agree with part of this!" when by all means all anyone should be doing in response to this is condemning the person advocating for mass murder.
The one part of the post he was talking about in regard to Musilms and the happenings back in the '80s (though admittedly well before i came into the world) i can definitely understand to a degree, it's just when he went completely off the rails with the "9/11 is justice" and all the rest of the crazy stuff there i spit out my swig of soda and simply couldn't believe what i was reading.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:19 pm

Guys, re-read the rest of the guy's post before he gets to the nutty stuff. I agree also that 4chan is not the best place to judge the anime fandom, and I also agree with the sentiment that prior to 9/11 we did not have a huge problem with Islamophobia in the United States like we do now. I'm sure he's going to clarify himself but I really, truly don't believe Mike agrees with the rest of that rant on 9/11 and mass murder being a good thing. Come on now.

What any of this has to do with Vic Mignogna I don't know, but I just wanted to leave my two cents on that.

funrush

Post by funrush » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:22 pm

Disregarding the other views in that post, I wanna reiterate that 9/11 was an act of terror, objectively, case closed. Blowing up a building full of innocent people to stoke fear is as close as you get to the definition of terrorism.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:24 pm

He literally says he does not condone or agree with that part of the post