Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

XanatosVanBadass
Banned

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by XanatosVanBadass » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:43 am

Just to chime in, from my experience people rarely actually change their minds in these topics. Especially the older you get. It’s more they get better at being quiet about it.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:22 am

XanatosVanBadass wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:06 am If nothing else, I’m glad this discussion is happening because it exposes just how frankly stupid and ugly the US Dragon Ball fandom can be. Again, look at how civil the RWBY fans have been by comparison. At least from what I’ve seen.
I'm pretty sure most of the #IStandWithVic crowd doesn't even give a shit about Dragon Ball.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

XanatosVanBadass
Banned

Post by XanatosVanBadass » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:27 am

Cursed Lemon wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:22 am
XanatosVanBadass wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:06 am If nothing else, I’m glad this discussion is happening because it exposes just how frankly stupid and ugly the US Dragon Ball fandom can be. Again, look at how civil the RWBY fans have been by comparison. At least from what I’ve seen.
I'm pretty sure most of the #IStandWithVic crowd doesn't even give a shit about Dragon Ball.
Oh I agree, don’t get me wrong. This has definitely become wanting a straight white Christian male to get away with it because they should never be held accountable by women ever. I’m just saying Vic’s supporters in anime fandom tend to be from DB.

Bryesque
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bryesque » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:38 am

Yep - I have a good feeling the ones stoking the flame are largely the same mob that fills up every "whatever-gate" campaign, a bunch of bad-faith actors and far-right trolls who go to war with literally anything they can quantify as "social justice". It's a perpetual abuse machine running on hatred and resentment.

Especially for Dragon Ball fans, the fervor here makes no sense. Better actors in far more important roles have been replaced many times in this franchise without the fanbase making much of a fuss. Mignogna has had an extremely tiny impact even on this specific dub, so it makes little sense for him to have such a massive and devoted fanbase among the DB community in particular.

No, this is 100% because women are speaking against him. That's it.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:12 am

I also don’t think it’s a lot of Dragon Ball fans but I did have one fan tell me that Kameha Con was amazing to get the main star of the Broly movie like Vic is akin to Akira Toriyama not some D-list dub actor.

XanatosVanBadass
Banned

Post by XanatosVanBadass » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:38 am

Is there a fandom that worships the English dub cast the way DB fans do? It’s really bizarre since it wasn’t even a great dub to begin with.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:01 pm

XanatosVanBadass wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:38 am Is there a fandom that worships the English dub cast the way DB fans do? It’s really bizarre since it wasn’t even a great dub to begin with.
Actually, Vic Mignogna does have a bizarre amount of pull behind the scenes, though no one's really sure why. It's part of the reason why nothing was ever done about him, despite all the complaints over the years
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:06 pm

Bryesque wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:38 am
Yep - I have a good feeling the ones stoking the flame are largely the same mob that fills up every "whatever-gate" campaign, a bunch of bad-faith actors and far-right trolls who go to war with literally anything they can quantify as "social justice". It's a perpetual abuse machine running on hatred and resentment.

Especially for Dragon Ball fans, the fervor here makes no sense. Better actors in far more important roles have been replaced many times in this franchise without the fanbase making much of a fuss. Mignogna has had an extremely tiny impact even on this specific dub, so it makes little sense for him to have such a massive and devoted fanbase among the DB community in particular.

No, this is 100% because women are speaking against him. That's it.
Well, Mignogna was a pretty prominent anime voice actor in general, and a good chunk of the #IStandWithVic crowd seem to be anime fans in general, not necessarily Dragon Ball fans specifically. As far as I can tell, the anime fandom seems to have a fairly large number of anti social justice people, which I guess isn’t too surprising, given that Japanese culture has something of a reputation for being rather conservative.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:16 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Well, Mignogna was a pretty prominent anime voice actor in general, and a good chunk of the #IStandWithVic crowd seem to be anime fans in general, not necessarily Dragon Ball fans specifically. As far as I can tell, the anime fandom seems to have a fairly large number of anti social justice people, which I guess isn’t too surprising, given that Japanese culture has something of a reputation for being rather conservative.
Heh. Makes you wonder just how much damage Master Roshi's antics actually did, huh? It's easy to think he was harmless, living in a community like ours, but...
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:22 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:06 pmWell, Mignogna was a pretty prominent anime voice actor in general
I'll be honest, the first I heard of Vic was downloading the English versions of Dragon Soul, and had no idea he voiced anybody until Super Broly. I was familiar with all the main English team (Schemmel, Sabat, Nadolny, Rial/Vollmer, Clinkenbeard) before I'd ever heard of Vic.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:27 pm

KBABZ wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:22 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:06 pmWell, Mignogna was a pretty prominent anime voice actor in general
I'll be honest, the first I heard of Vic was downloading the English versions of Dragon Soul, and had no idea he voiced anybody until Super Broly. I was familiar with all the main English team (Schemmel, Sabat, Nadolny, Rial/Vollmer, Clinkenbeard) before I'd ever heard of Vic.

Vic’s major role was Edward Elric in FMA. I think that is the role that pushed him to be popular in the anime fandom

XanatosVanBadass
Banned

Post by XanatosVanBadass » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:45 pm

Fionordequester wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:16 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Well, Mignogna was a pretty prominent anime voice actor in general, and a good chunk of the #IStandWithVic crowd seem to be anime fans in general, not necessarily Dragon Ball fans specifically. As far as I can tell, the anime fandom seems to have a fairly large number of anti social justice people, which I guess isn’t too surprising, given that Japanese culture has something of a reputation for being rather conservative.
Heh. Makes you wonder just how much damage Master Roshi's antics actually did, huh? It's easy to think he was harmless, living in a community like ours, but...
Fair point, but I think harem anime and shows like Shield Hero do more damage than Roshi stuff.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:49 pm

XanatosVanBadass wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:45 pm Fair point, but I think harem anime and shows like Shield Hero do more damage than Roshi stuff.
True, but considering Dragon Ball is aimed at a younger audience, it is still damaging in the long-run for the series to normalize that stuff and play it for consequence-free laughs.

XanatosVanBadass
Banned

Post by XanatosVanBadass » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:57 pm

It’s funny, I think Roshi in Super has been more disturbing than anything in the old shows. I mean, he’s chasing women who are literally fleeing in terror of him. At least in the old days he’d get a beating for his behavior.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:00 pm

XanatosVanBadass wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:57 pm It’s funny, I think Roshi in Super has been more disturbing than anything in the old shows. I mean, he’s chasing women who are literally fleeing in terror of him. At least in the old days he’d get a beating for his behavior.
True, but his relationship with Bulma is also fraught when it gets brought up. For example when meeting at the 22nd TB, her first words to her in the English dub are "Oh gosh, it's you!", and there's also a moment much later where she tries to clue Blue Launch in to his antics.

It's a shame because there's no reason the character has to be that way. One of my favourite scenes in the franchise is after the Vegeta fight and Roshi genuinely comforts Bulma and has concern for how she's feeling. It's a shame he can't be like that all the time.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:18 pm

XanatosVanBadass wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:57 pm It’s funny, I think Roshi in Super has been more disturbing than anything in the old shows. I mean, he’s chasing women who are literally fleeing in terror of him. At least in the old days he’d get a beating for his behavior.
Maybe we should start another threat but I think stuff in Dragon Ball was pretty disturbing too

Like when Bulma flashed him and didn’t realize she didn’t have underwear on or when he shrinked himself so he could look at women on the toilet. There is nothing funny about this and regardless of Roshi being slapped he is considered one of the good guys

Needless to say I am not a fan of lot of the humor surrounding Rosh in the original Dragon Ball.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:21 pm

Kinokima wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:18 pm
Maybe we should start another threat but I think stuff in Dragon Ball was pretty disturbing too
I believe we had a thread a while ago about it, Sexual Harassment in Dragon Ball, I think? I can't quite remember the name.

Bryesque
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bryesque » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:35 pm

Kinokima wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:12 am I also don’t think it’s a lot of Dragon Ball fans but I did have one fan tell me that Kameha Con was amazing to get the main star of the Broly movie...
So, Sean Schemmel? :lol:

Seriously, though - it's true he dubbed the title character and that comes with some level of hype, but I'm pretty sure characters like Bulma, Freeza, and Paragus had more actual dialogue in the movie. And he's easily the most replaceable actor too, IMO - the writing elevated the character quite a bit from previous appearances, but the role itself didn't seem especially demanding.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:39 pm

XanatosVanBadass wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:38 am Is there a fandom that worships the English dub cast the way DB fans do? It’s really bizarre since it wasn’t even a great dub to begin with.
Would complaining about a dub cast being replaced with another count as worship?
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

XanatosVanBadass
Banned

Post by XanatosVanBadass » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:54 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:39 pm
Would complaining about a dub cast being replaced with another count as worship?
I mean, Dragon Ball has that covered too. On many levels.