Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:36 am

KBABZ wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:30 am
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:18 am Yeah, it would have been better if FUNi had held off on the Level sets for another year or two, then perhaps they could have potentially been better received instead of being lost in the midst of a blitz of other Dragon Ball releases at the same time and underselling like they actually did. Had they not been killed off, they likely could have been the solution for those wanting a decent 4:3 release who didn't get the Dragon Boxes.
Agreed, and then we wouldn't be in this situation. Instead the Black Brick would have instead been a collectible release of the Levels rather than an entirely new Master of the show.
So true, and given i really wanted a 4:3 release in good quality my only choice was hunting for the Dragon Boxes on eBay because there was no way in hell i was going to settle for those crap DNR'd to hell, fake widescreen excuses of so called "remasters" either on DVD or Blu-ray.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:41 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:36 am So true, and given i really wanted a 4:3 release in good quality my only choice was hunting for the Dragon Boxes on eBay because there was no way in hell i was going to settle for those crap DNR'd to hell, fake widescreen excuses of so called "remasters" either on DVD or Blu-ray.
The Orange Bricks/Blu-Seasons are like the cheap unbranded candy you get at the dairy, while the Levels are like the Lindt chocolate bunnies.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:45 am

KBABZ wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:41 am
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:36 am So true, and given i really wanted a 4:3 release in good quality my only choice was hunting for the Dragon Boxes on eBay because there was no way in hell i was going to settle for those crap DNR'd to hell, fake widescreen excuses of so called "remasters" either on DVD or Blu-ray.
The Orange Bricks/Blu-Seasons are like the cheap unbranded candy you get at the dairy, while the Levels are like the Lindt chocolate bunnies.
Yes they are hands down the most god awful releases of the series i have ever seen especially video quality wise, and it does indeed suck majorly that we don't have a readily available average joe 4:3 release at this point. I got the Dragon Boxes not just because of the proper aspect ratio but also that i wanted the best available presentation and that had led me to get them gradually over time because i care enough that i'm just not going to settle for the budget crap releases.

Also a funny analogy by the way, it sums up the differences in quality between the releases very well. :D
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

Gokitalo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gokitalo » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:50 am

KBABZ wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:41 am The Orange Bricks/Blu-Seasons are like the cheap unbranded candy you get at the dairy, while the Levels are like the Lindt chocolate bunnies.
I know I'm weak, but... I'd eat 'em both. The candy and the Lindt chocolate, that is.

Bryesque
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bryesque » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:56 am

This whole situation makes me really sad I told my Level sets when that line got cancelled and the "season" Blu-ray releases were announced. If I knew then... :cry:

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:49 am

I was mad at that the level sets got canceled, and I'm never going to get rid of them and e-mailed them about how displeased I was. I still wish they got up to level 2.2 as that would have matched the singles perfectly.
I agree the timing was bad but, there was also those issued that have been mentioned that kept hard-core fans away and were content with their Dragon Boxes and on the flip side the Orange Brickers were happy with their release.. in fact, this review from DVDtalk mentions some of the controversies in this set
In fact, a grainy image was such a controversy, this is the first part of the video quality review on bluray.com for level 1.1
How you feel about grain is going to probably determine a lot about how you respond to this frame by frame restoration, presented via an AVC encode in 1080p and 1.33:1. As is mentioned in the accompanying featurette included on Disc 2 of this set, the restoration team had to toe a fine line between doing noise reduction and not interfering with the original film grain look. DNR phobes need not be worried in the slightest,
So sadly the fear of a grainy image was already a standard when FUNimation first tried their shot at a HD DBZ release.

At the time, I missed out on some of the Dragon Boxes (2 and 4 just went out of print) but I was collecting both, and I wish other fans did the same. The price point I never really understood because yes, the Orange Bricks had a large number of episodes per set, but they were also the Orange Bricks. I was used to seeing VHS saga sets being $100 or over, retail, and this was the first time Dragon Ball Z was released in HD so I saw it as a no brainer. I do wish the Orange Bricks didn't come out, at least in the way they did as they've marred the series since one when it comes to presentation and became the standard as to "what fans want". And unfortunatly "What Fans want" is what this sets trying to do, and thats please both sides of the fanbase. I know it says "hardcore" but dragon ball Z's base in NA is so large that there are Hardcore Japanese fans (Kanzenshuu) and Hardcore American fans (Sadly, mostly everyone else). And while this is a 30th anniversary of Dragon ball Z (in Japan) and not 24/5 years of Z in the US, I have a feeling 100% this will cater to that larger "everyone" and it sucks.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:54 am

Why cater to the larger "everyone" when there are only 6000 sets, though?

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:00 am

Forte224 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:54 am Why cater to the larger "everyone" when there are only 6000 sets, though?
Because as someone speculated, there's a good chance this if going to get released as season sets. There is no way they're done releasing "Z" and there is nothing that indicated this is its final release. I think it's the same reason they added the English dub to the Dragon Boxes (and that set was clearly a Japanese fan set (much more so than this set has led us to believe). The booklet itself looks to be catering to the history of Z in America and not Japan and I think it just shows FUNimations tunnel vision. Even the levels catored to the US release (no Japanese title cards, not even an option and that had a much more 30th anniversary look than this does). Idealy this set and the levels should have been switched.

sumpter360
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Location: St. Peters, MO - Currently applying for Residency at Hinata Apartments :)

Post by sumpter360 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:04 am

Anybody else notice the reservations numbers are actually down from yesterday? I guess the pre-order cancellations are finally being accounted for. I wonder, if the numbers don't get back up to 3,000 will the set still come out?
I am neither subbie nor dubbie, I am all that is good: I am a FANBOY!

PSN ID (on PS4): sumpter360
YouTube Account: TheDbG33K
Twitter Account: https://twitter.com/dbG33K
Tumblr Blog: http://g33kout.tumblr.com

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:04 am

For some people, this is it for them. If you want the show in 4:3 in one consistent format from start to finish, and you don't want to or can't spend $700-$1,000 for Dragon Boxes, either it's this or piracy. Fans are already taking matters like that into their own hands and have been for some time.

Also, unfortunately I think the people that think not buying it is sending a message saying that this is not what the hardcore fanbase wants, they'll learn and they'll do it right this time are kidding themselves. FUNi will take one look at that, ignore the why, and immediately acquire the message that fans don't want the show in 4:3, they want it in 16:9. 'Hey, we offered it in 4:3 and all they did was complain and not buy it, but our season sets always sell really well!' Then you can say goodbye to any future potential 4:3 release.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:06 am

sumpter360 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:04 am Anybody else notice the reservations numbers are actually down from yesterday? I guess the pre-order cancellations are finally being accounted for. I wonder, if the numbers don't get back up to 3,000 will the set still come out?
They got sneaky and set the counts to "UNITS REMAINING". So it's just that there is 2958 / 6000 sets remaining. I thought the same as you at first and was like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDLS12_a-fk :lol: :lol:
Char Aznable wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:04 am For some people, this is it for them. If you want the show in 4:3 in one consistent format from start to finish, and you don't want to or can't spend $700-$1,000 for Dragon Boxes, either it's this or piracy. Fans are already taking matters like that into their own hands and have been for some time.

Also, unfortunately I think the people that think not buying it is sending a message saying that this is not what the hardcore fanbase wants, they'll learn and they'll do it right this time are kidding themselves. FUNi will take one look at that, ignore the why, and immediately acquire the message that fans don't want the show in 4:3, they want it in 16:9. 'Hey, we offered it in 4:3 and all they did was complain and not buy it, but our season sets always sell really well!' Then you can say goodbye to any future potential 4:3 release.
I think that's the sad thing, as a whole we can only put a dent in the sales at FUNimation. But, at least they did a rebuttal to the initial complaints so that is a good sign. Honestly, I'm in the camp of the Dragon Boxes are an alright release but I refuse to support blatant scalpers and the Japanese box had better compression than FUNi so getting the FUNi box would be getting an inferior product. At the end of the day people can do what they want with their money. I have no problem with people who support this set, and those who choose not too.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:21 am

eledoremassis02 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:06 am I think that's the sad thing, as a whole we can only put a dent in the sales at FUNimation. But, at least they did a rebuttal to the initial complaints so that is a good sign. Honestly, I'm in the camp of the Dragon Boxes are an alright release but I refuse to support blatant scalpers and the Japanese box had better compression than FUNi so getting the FUNi box would be getting an inferior product. At the end of the day people can do what they want with their money. I have no problem with people who support this set, and those who choose not too.
People will disagree with my approach and that's fine, call me a 'fake fan' all day, I'll just ignore it, but I would like to show FUNi that this is how you should be releasing the show even though the remaster is questionable and could be handled much better. I see it as a sort of slow clawing back from the 16:9 cropping that's been prevalent for the last 10+ years. FUNi seems to have a knack for 'apology' releases. The Dragon Boxes and the Levels came out as a sort of 'apology' for the orange bricks, and as far as I believe the only reason the Levels failed was because of their horrendous timing, that's it.

If FUNi at least knows that the show needs to be in 4:3 and people want to buy it in 4:3 (casuals and hardcore alike), there may be another future 'apology' release. If you think this is the last time we'll ever see FUNimation release Dragon Ball Z in a home video format, you don't know FUNimation.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:30 am

Char Aznable wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:21 am
eledoremassis02 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:06 am I think that's the sad thing, as a whole we can only put a dent in the sales at FUNimation. But, at least they did a rebuttal to the initial complaints so that is a good sign. Honestly, I'm in the camp of the Dragon Boxes are an alright release but I refuse to support blatant scalpers and the Japanese box had better compression than FUNi so getting the FUNi box would be getting an inferior product. At the end of the day people can do what they want with their money. I have no problem with people who support this set, and those who choose not too.
People will disagree with my approach and that's fine, call me a 'fake fan' all day, I'll just ignore it, but I would like to show FUNi that this is how you should be releasing the show even though the remaster is questionable and could be handled much better. I see it as a sort of slow clawing back from the 16:9 cropping that's been prevalent for the last 10+ years. FUNi seems to have a knack for 'apology' releases. The Dragon Boxes and the Levels came out as a sort of 'apology' for the orange bricks, and as far as I believe the only reason the Levels failed was because of their horrendous timing, that's it.

If FUNi at least knows that the show needs to be in 4:3 and people want to buy it in 4:3 (casuals and hardcore alike), there may be another future 'apology' release. If you think this is the last time we'll ever see FUNimation release Dragon Ball Z in a home video format, you don't know FUNimation.
I think I'm of both schools. The "god they found another way to milk the series" and the "DNRd, but it's 4:3 so there is a win!" I feel the people that just want to sit and complain and not doing anything are expecting too much from a company they already have no faith in.

Lance Freeman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lance Freeman » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:50 am

I'm at a crossroads here; do I plunk down the money for this release now, do I wait and hope for a potential consumer grade release of this version down the line, or do I bite the bullet and go hunting for Dragon Boxes on eBay and Amazon?

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:55 am

Char Aznable wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:21 am

I mean i'm overall satisfied with my Dragon Boxes given the effort i made to find them at the fairly reasonable prices i found them at on eBay. I even got Box 1 for an insane price of just $20 give or take a few at a local movie store in my area which was an absolute bargain, so that goes to show deals for them can be found if you know were to look.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:58 am

Lance Freeman wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:50 am I'm at a crossroads here; do I plunk down the money for this release now, do I wait and hope for a potential consumer grade release of this version down the line, or do I bite the bullet and go hunting for Dragon Boxes on eBay and Amazon?
If you must have DBZ now, buy the Dragon Boxes. If not, hope for Toei doing their own remaster.

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:00 am

There is definitely a part of me that wants to plop $350 that I don't have on this, but another, larger part of me is holding out on them releasing this as a budget release like Toei did with the Dragon Boxes (which I wish Toei would have let Funi do, but that's neither here nor there).
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

SqueakyBoots
Beyond Newbie

Post by SqueakyBoots » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:02 am

If Toei is working on their own remaster, then this set will have no reason to exist and there will end up being even more nonstop complaining from everyone. So a small part of me is hoping that doesn't happen or at least not for a few years.

Lance Freeman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lance Freeman » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:05 am

sangofe wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:58 am
Lance Freeman wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:50 am I'm at a crossroads here; do I plunk down the money for this release now, do I wait and hope for a potential consumer grade release of this version down the line, or do I bite the bullet and go hunting for Dragon Boxes on eBay and Amazon?
If you must have DBZ now, buy the Dragon Boxes. If not, hope for Toei doing their own remaster.
Yeah, I'm not expecting the Toei version to be much better, if the recent movie set is any indication. The Boxes are probably the best way to go at this point, so time to set up an alert every time one shows up on eBay.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:08 am

SqueakyBoots wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:02 am If Toei is working on their own remaster, then this set will have no reason to exist and there will end up being even more nonstop complaining from everyone. So a small part of me is hoping that doesn't happen or at least not for a few years.
TOEI's HD remaster of the Z series may look similar to how they remastered TV SP1 and TV SP2 in high def which means there's some DNR though they used a respectable amount as so not to destroy detail like FUNimation does. Both of them look super but so far.. no Blu-ray release. :( I'm guessing is that we'll see them bundled with a HD remaster of the Dragon Ball Z series on Blu-ray.