Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mr.Poot

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Mr.Poot » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:29 pm

Did Geekdom ever explain why he thought this looked good?

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:06 pm

KBABZ wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:05 pm
SupremeSSJ wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:27 pm How come that no big youtubers came out and make a video stating these issues besides AJ, obviously someone is sponsored or something.
Fact of the matter is that we are very much the minority in this discussion, despite being pro-preservation and pro-accuracy.
Daimo-Rukiri wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:00 pm So I wonder when they are going to show the final box? I also feel the Goku figure will be colored in the final production.
:think:
Luckily we already know what the coloured version of the statue will look like:

Minus the Dragon Ball and facial expression anyway.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:24 pm

2900 / 6000

It went over 3000 but due to cancellations it was set back below 3k.

It's a shame, we wanted a pure DBZ HD release on Blu-ray but fans bought it anyway so they're not going to listen to a minority of fans. Had folks voted with their wallets things woulda been different.

I'd say we lost this "battle." :thumbdown:

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:26 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:24 pm 2900 / 6000

It's a shame, we wanted a pure DBZ HD release on Blu-ray but fans bought it anyway so they're not going to listen to a minority of fans. Had folks voted with their wallets things woulda been different.

The counter is now going down. That number means 2900 sets are left.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:37 pm

Forte224 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:26 pm

The counter is now going down. That number means 2900 sets are left.
Oh, that's a bit odd. Thought it'd be going forward than backwards but this release is pretty backwards, anyhow.

TOEI's DBZ series remaster will probably look similar to how they remastered TV SP1 and TV SP2 so I'm happy with that. But dunno about buying without Eng subs, unless they provided their own ones.

American Pelican
Not-So-Newbie

Post by American Pelican » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:41 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:39 am Found this screenshot from looks like to be the Level sets, but I don't know if it's because it's not full resolution or someone tried to DNR. But I dont see much grain, and if they want to remove grain, this is what the final outcome should look like I think

Sadly, it's not the same shot but

If this is from the Level sets maybe we can tweet FUNi that if they are going to DNR we'd like something like this?
I think it might be a screengrab from the winxbloom OBA encodes; which are 720p with DNR.
Beat it! And take your planet with you!

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:49 pm

What a shame for those fans who want an actual good release of the series in 4:3 HD, though i have my Dragon Boxes at least so it's not really a huge loss to me personally.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:53 pm

They already hit 3000, it's already being made.
It's now units remaining so 2900 are left to order.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:55 pm

American Pelican wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:41 pm
eledoremassis02 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:39 am Found this screenshot from looks like to be the Level sets, but I don't know if it's because it's not full resolution or someone tried to DNR. But I dont see much grain, and if they want to remove grain, this is what the final outcome should look like I think

Sadly, it's not the same shot but ]

If this is from the Level sets maybe we can tweet FUNi that if they are going to DNR we'd like something like this?
I think it might be a screengrab from the winxbloom OBA encodes; which are 720p with DNR.
Is there a 1080p version if it's from that. Cause if he can make it look like that with DNR, no reason FUNi couldnt

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:05 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:49 pmWhat a shame for those fans who want an actual good release of the series in 4:3 HD, though i have my Dragon Boxes at least so it's not really a huge loss to me personally.
With the new requirement by TOEI it's going to be even worse, i.e., subtitles are gonna use dubisms with honorific titles. Reading "Frieza-sama" is so absurd no one would believe but it's a thing now. :thumbdown:

At least this release of DBZ by FUNimation doesn't have green tint.. yay?

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:08 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:05 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:49 pmWhat a shame for those fans who want an actual good release of the series in 4:3 HD, though i have my Dragon Boxes at least so it's not really a huge loss to me personally.
With the new requirement by TOEI it's going to be even worse, i.e., subtitles are gonna use dubisms with honorific titles. Reading "Frieza-sama" is so absurd no one would believe but it's a thing now. :thumbdown:

gotta pick and choose your battles :lol: :lol: :lol:

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:08 pm

Well damn, it just seems to get worse every day. :?
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:13 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:08 pm

The only place this is confirmed is the new Broli movie. But...I mean yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if it crept into future releases. I doubt this will happen, but wouldn't it be depressingly hilarious if the dub names made it into the 30th anniversary subtitles? It will either be a cherry on top of how bad they are, OR FUNimation will fix the picture quality but then people will be stuck with dub name subtitles. If that were the case, it really would hammer home how cursed Dragon Ball home media feels.

American Pelican
Not-So-Newbie

Post by American Pelican » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:16 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:55 pm
American Pelican wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:41 pm

Sadly, it's not the same shot but ]

Is there a 1080p version if it's from that. Cause if he can make it look like that with DNR, no reason FUNi couldnt
There is an 'iKaos' version at 1080p albeit with a fair amount of compression artifacting.

Screens from a different episode:
https://i.imgur.com/UBzejs7.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/K2JmmUS.jpg
Last edited by American Pelican on Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beat it! And take your planet with you!

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:17 pm

Forte224 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:13 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:08 pm

The only place this is confirmed is the new Broli movie. But...I mean yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if it crept into future releases. I doubt this will happen, but wouldn't it be depressingly hilarious if the dub names made it into the 30th anniversary subtitles? It will either be a cherry on top of how bad they are, OR FUNimation will fix the picture quality but then people will be stuck with dub name subtitles. If that were the case, it really would hammer home how cursed Dragon Ball home media feels.
Yeah, for instance having Krillin in the subtitles instead of Kuririn or Tien Shinhan over Tenshinhan. :lol:

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:25 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:17 pmYeah, for instance like having Krillin in the subtitles instead of Kuririn or Tien Shinhan over Tenshinhan. :lol:
Krillin wouldn't be that bad, it's just a different romanization. Things like Tien Shinhan, Master Roshi, King Kai, Special Beam Cannon etc. would be totally fucking unacceptable.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:29 pm

Should we try a do a same clip of what kind of DNR (using the levels since thats what they have) to so show FUNi what we think the set should look like? Cause it we can do it at home lol

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:36 pm

Kuwabara wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:25 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:17 pmYeah, for instance like having Krillin in the subtitles instead of Kuririn or Tien Shinhan over Tenshinhan. :lol:
Krillin wouldn't be that bad, it's just a different romanization. Things like Tien Shinhan, Master Roshi, King Kai, Special Beam Cannon etc. would be totally fucking unacceptable.
Yeah, same with Yamcha since it's about the same as Yamucha or Bulma with Buruma romanized differently. Now those other FUNimation invented ones you mention would be absolutely atrocious to see in the subs because they're not even remotely close to how the Japanese namings are supposed to be.

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:48 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:29 pm Should we try a do a same clip of what kind of DNR (using the levels since thats what they have) to so show FUNi what we think the set should look like? Cause it we can do it at home lol
I really liked how Corpsecreate's project was coming along. Great colors with subtle, non-destructive filters. Even uspcaled, his Dragon Box alterations honestly looked better than anything Funimation has shown so far, and I've read that his process was only getting better and better before he shelved it altogether. I wish he would come back and finish what he started. :cry:
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:53 pm

Kuwabara wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:48 pm
eledoremassis02 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:29 pm Should we try a do a same clip of what kind of DNR (using the levels since thats what they have) to so show FUNi what we think the set should look like? Cause it we can do it at home lol
I really liked how Corpsecreate's project was coming along. Great colors with subtle, non-destructive filters. Even uspcaled, his Dragon Box alterations honestly looked better than anything Funimation has shown so far, and I've read that his process was only getting better and better before he shelved it altogether. I wish he would come back and finish what he started. :cry:
Any screen shots? I think if we show FUNi what we'd like to see (if DNRing is an option) maybe it could get somewhere?