Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ssj4
Beyond Newbie

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by ssj4 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:43 am

So Vic has also sexually harassed con staff too right?

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:58 am

Saiga wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:23 am
TKA wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:52 am This motherfucker is really taking this to court? What a waste of his money.
Well, there is the matter of the money that Rekieta raised for his legal fund. If that actually goes toward the legal bills (I'm honestly skeptical of how that's going to work) than he's wasting his fans' money.

It's utterly ridiculous in either case.
It is so fucking crazy that people would give their money to him for this. It's not like Vicky M is doing revolutionary work and the "crazy SJWs" are trying to impede him. He's just a voice actor that's noted to be abusive by con staff for over a decade and has been accused multiples times of sexual assault.

I doubt his crazy fans' money can keep this going though. Funimation is a company owned by an even bigger company. Litigation is expensive and time-consuming, so they can just drag this out until Vicky M has to go away.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:59 am

OJ was declared innocent of murdering his wife...remember when everybody just accepted that verdict and never questioned him again?

That's my way of saying that I'm doubtful that the outcome of this case--assuming it isn't dismissed outright--will change that many opinions. I'm sure it'll change some opinions, but for the most part, whether Vic wins or loses, pretty much everybody has already made up their minds. If the case doesn't end with the outcome that either "side" (a term I use loosely) wants, they'll just say, "Well, the courts can be wrong, and they were wrong here."

So here is something I'd like to invite everybody to consider: how do Vic's industry peers feel?

That, more than anything else, may be the most telling of his guilt or innocence. Those are the people who have worked with him and gone to conventions with him. They're the ones who have been in his general vicinity over the years where--and when--many of these incidents have been claimed to occur. Generally speaking, they're the ones who would have the best idea of what kind of person he is...so with that in mind...ask yourself how many of his fellow voice actors are coming to his defense. Ask yourself how many casting directors are coming to his defense. How many audio engineers. How many convention owners, staff members, and guest handlers. How often is he still being hired, and by whom.

I won't tell anybody what to think, as I believe that would undermine what I'm trying to say...but I would very strongly ask everybody here to consider how many--or few--of those in his industry who have worked with him are defending him, and what that suggests.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:24 pm

Fionordequester wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:16 am EDIT: Besides, "conservative" =/= "sexist". My dad's pretty strongly conservative, to the point where Rush Limbaugh and FOX News are some of the things he likes listening to most...

But he always errs on the side of believing any and all sexual misconduct claims he hears, especially when it comes to rich and famous men. He'd rule in Monica's favor in a heart beat.
Your dad is an anomaly.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:27 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:59 am That, more than anything else, may be the most telling of his guilt or innocence. Those are the people who have worked with him and gone to conventions with him. They're the ones who have been in his general vicinity over the years where--and when--many of these incidents have been claimed to occur. Generally speaking, they're the ones who would have the best idea of what kind of person he is...so with that in mind...ask yourself how many of his fellow voice actors are coming to his defense. Ask yourself how many casting directors are coming to his defense. How many audio engineers. How many convention owners, staff members, and guest handlers. How often is he still being hired, and by whom.
Few actors have come out publicly in support. An engineer for Funimation has also come to his defense. A handful of conventions have extended or kept their invitations to him. In particular, a con head for a convention that Mignogna will be attending this summer also spoke highly of him while he was on Nick Rekieta's stream. And speaking of Rekieta, the source that he has within Funimation is supposedly a voice actor, not Mignogna or anyone in his legal team. One, who if/when revealed, would apparently shock a lot of people. Companies like Viz have continued to do business with Mignogna as well.

I don't particularly care for your line of reasoning when it comes to this. From what little has been revealed from the lawsuit, it's alleged that Funimation and many of its agents have malice against Mignogna. Many in this thread have brought it up numerous times the idea of power dynamics and the consequences that victims may face when speaking up. This cuts both ways. If what Mignogna alleges in his lawsuit is true, it is not at all surprising that the majority of Mignogna's peers are remaining as neutral as possible. You make it seem like the entire voice acting industry is against him, but this is mostly relegated to the clique in Texas.

This is also why I don't even want to mention the people who have publicly supported Mignogna. One voice actor, who came out in support mostly of due process rather than just Mignogna, for example was immediately added to a hitpiece by Newsweek. They are also at risk of harassment and other acts of harm against them.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

Gokuisasuperhero
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gokuisasuperhero » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:33 pm

Kinokima wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:37 am
Gokuisasuperhero wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:25 am
Kinokima wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:21 am

Yeah I don’t really want to make a prediction either way. In the end the people who think the courts will tell them the “truth” are naive. External factors like the area of the court, the judge, the jury all will play a role.
That have too. If that lie under oath you go to jail it very sample.
I don’t think you comprehend what I am saying.

For the record I don’t need a jury or judge to tell me Vic is guilty. I know he is. So the verdict is not going to change my mind either way.

It’s not just the recent stories it’s all the stories I have heard over the many years I’ve been an anime fan.

Yes some stories may be fake but definitely not all of them.
You do know that THAT have prove he guilty. The defendant half to prove he guilty and proof what there saying true if that don't that lose this case sample as that. I neutral on this but you need understand how this work since you clearly don't seen to know what lawsuit about. Vic is NOT on trial Rail and Funimation will be. And if that lie about what that said under oath that can go to jail for it. That CALLED perjury.
Last edited by Gokuisasuperhero on Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:35 pm

I wonder if the con that defended him was Anime Matsuri whose owner has been accused of sexual harrasment itself

https://www.chron.com/life/article/Hous ... 789687.php

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:36 pm

Kinokima wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:35 pm I wonder if the con that defended him was Anime Matsuri whose owner has been accused of sexual harrasment itself

https://www.chron.com/life/article/Hous ... 789687.php
It's not. To my knowledge, no one from Anime Matsuri's staff has been on Nick Rekieta's streams.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:36 pm

AgitoZ wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:27 pm You make it seem like the entire voice acting industry is against him, but this is mostly relegated to the clique in Texas.

This is also why I don't even want to mention the people who have publicly supported Mignogna. One voice actor, who came out in support mostly of due process rather than just Mignogna, for example was immediately added to a hitpiece by Newsweek. They are also at risk of harassment and other acts of harm against them.
Unfortunately, it seems anybody who takes a stand on this issue one way or another is at risk for harm. So I won't be naming names for the same reason. I also don't want to expand on what I wrote too much as I'd like people to come to their own conclusions. I'll expand on one thing, though: it's most decidedly not just a clique in Texas.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:38 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:36 pm I also don't want to expand on what I wrote too much as I'd like people to come to their own conclusions. I'll expand on one thing, though: it's most decidedly not just a clique in Texas.
Then we are in agreement because I never said that.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:41 pm

Gokuisasuperhero wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:33 pm
Gokuisasuperhero wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:25 am

That have too. If that lie under oath you go to jail it very sample.

For the record I don’t need a jury or judge to tell me Vic is guilty. I know he is. So the verdict is not going to change my mind either way.

It’s not just the recent stories it’s all the stories I have heard over the many years I’ve been an anime fan.

You do know that THAT have prove he guilty. The defendant half to prove he guilty and proof what there saying true if that don't that lose this case sample as that. I neutral on this but you need understand how this work since you clearly don't seen to know what lawsuit about. Vic is NOT on trial Rail and Funimation will be. And if that lie about what that said under oath that can go to jail for it. That CALLED perjury.
I don’t think you understand how courts work. Nothing can ever be 100% proven

“Crimes must generally be proved "beyond a reasonable doubt", whereas civil cases are proved by lower standards of proof such as "the preponderance of the evidence" (which essentially means that it was more likely than not that something occurred in a certain way). “

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:43 pm

AgitoZ wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:38 pm
TheBlackPaladin wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:36 pm I also don't want to expand on what I wrote too much as I'd like people to come to their own conclusions. I'll expand on one thing, though: it's most decidedly not just a clique in Texas.
Then we are in agreement because I never said that.
Good. Nor is it "mostly relegated" to a clique in Texas either.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:46 pm

AgitoZ wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:27 pm
TheBlackPaladin wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:59 am That, more than anything else, may be the most telling of his guilt or innocence. Those are the people who have worked with him and gone to conventions with him. They're the ones who have been in his general vicinity over the years where--and when--many of these incidents have been claimed to occur. Generally speaking, they're the ones who would have the best idea of what kind of person he is...so with that in mind...ask yourself how many of his fellow voice actors are coming to his defense. Ask yourself how many casting directors are coming to his defense. How many audio engineers. How many convention owners, staff members, and guest handlers. How often is he still being hired, and by whom.
Few actors have come out publicly in support. An engineer for Funimation has also come to his defense. A handful of conventions have extended or kept their invitations to him. In particular, a con head for a convention that Mignogna will be attending this summer also spoke highly of him while he was on Nick Rekieta's stream. And speaking of Rekieta, the source that he has within Funimation is supposedly a voice actor, not Mignogna or anyone in his legal team. One, who if/when revealed, would apparently shock a lot of people. Companies like Viz have continued to do business with Mignogna as well.

I don't particularly care for your line of reasoning when it comes to this. From what little has been revealed from the lawsuit, it's alleged that Funimation and many of its agents have malice against Mignogna. Many in this thread have brought it up numerous times the idea of power dynamics and the consequences that victims may face when speaking up. This cuts both ways. If what Mignogna alleges in his lawsuit is true, it is not at all surprising that the majority of Mignogna's peers are remaining as neutral as possible. You make it seem like the entire voice acting industry is against him, but this is mostly relegated to the clique in Texas.

Please spare me this harassment BS. You act like people against Vic haven’t been constantly harassed & attacked because they spoke out against him.

Gokuisasuperhero
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gokuisasuperhero » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:51 pm

Kinokima wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:41 pm

“Crimes must generally be proved "beyond a reasonable doubt", whereas civil cases are proved by lower standards of proof such as "the preponderance of the evidence" (which essentially means that it was more likely than not that something occurred in a certain way). “
Uh and that have all the tweets everyone said about then there enough prove to go though a stink tanks with all the things everyone has said in last few month. That REALLY should have stop saying things. Because ALL of that can be used against now in court. Also this is NOT Crime trial! This is lawsuit! Vic is suing them. Vic was not arrest for what that said he done. You seen to keep mixing the fact up.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:58 pm

Gokuisasuperhero wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:51 pm

Uh and that have all the tweets everyone said about then there enough prove to go though a stink tanks with all the things everyone has said in last few month. That REALLY should have stop saying things. Because ALL of that can be used against now in court. Also this is NOT Crime trial! This is lawsuit! Vic is suing them. Vic was not arrest for what that said he done. You seen to keep mixing the fact up.
Apparently you can’t read. I know this case is a civil case and that above quote covers civil cases. There are even lower standards of proof for those cases.

Please read up on the law and don’t just listen to everything a biased lawyer spreading Propaganda says. It’s you who doesn’t understand how courts work if you think a court will ever tell you 100% if someone is guilty or not.

And note he can be guilty of what he is being accused of and he could still win a defamation case. So it still wouldn’t prove anything.
Last edited by Kinokima on Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:59 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:43 pmNor is it "mostly relegated" to a clique in Texas either.
That's false.
Kinokima wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:46 pm Please spare me this harassment BS. You act like people against Vic haven’t been constantly harassed & attacked because they spoke out against him.
I said harassment cuts both ways. I am literally acknowledging this can happen to anyone regardless of their stance on the issue.

Also you can quote multiple people at the same time. Hope that helps.

Gokuisasuperhero
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gokuisasuperhero » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:03 pm

Kinokima wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:58 pm
Gokuisasuperhero wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:51 pm

Apparently you can’t read. I know this case is a civil case and that above quote covers civil cases. There are even lower standards of proof for those cases.

Please read up on the law and don’t just listen to everything a biased lawyer spreading Propaganda says. It’s you who doesn’t understand how courts work if you think a court will ever tell you 100% if someone is guilty or not.

And note he can be guilty of what he is being accused of and he could still win a defamation case. So it still wouldn’t prove anything.
Ok... And he could lose the case and be not guilty. It works both ways...

SaiyaSith
Regular

Post by SaiyaSith » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:03 pm

UPDATE:

Todd Haberkorn (Jaco) is pretty much confirmed to be in support of Vic. He's being represented by the same law firm and is also being removed from Funimation credits like Vic. He made a cameo the other day on Nick Rekieta's stream: https://youtu.be/mzP7TdTZHq8?t=1m14s

Nick Rekieta said last night that a "cast" of voice actors and employees came out against Monica and Marchi in favor of Vic, and that it will come out eventually during the lawsuit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiIPPN2ytxA

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:08 pm

AgitoZ wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:59 pm
TheBlackPaladin wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:43 pmNor is it "mostly relegated" to a clique in Texas either.
That's false.
Kinokima wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:46 pm Please spare me this harassment BS. You act like people against Vic haven’t been constantly harassed & attacked because they spoke out against him.
I said harassment cuts both ways. I am literally acknowledging this can happen to anyone regardless of their stance on the issue.

Also you can quote multiple people at the same time. Hope that helps.

I don’t understand why someone can’t speak up in defense of Vic. Vic whether I agree with it or not has plenty of support on social media. Saying they are afraid of harassment is a pretty weak argument. If they were really the lone voice of support that would make sense but that isn’t the case. The anime community is pretty divided on this issue. Seems pretty cowardly if you ask me.

As for Todd Haberkorn he was accused of “date rape” by Jessie Pridemore in conjunction with her story about Vic. So to me his “defense of Vic” seems like more damage control. What other choice does he have lol. Note someone else confirmed that Jessie was extremely drunk that night she went off with Todd. Todd apparently considers having sex with someone extremely drunk as “consensual”. It’s not. Yes even if she showed interest in him later. It’s still not consensual.

I guess Vic gets the creeps on his side.
Last edited by Kinokima on Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:11 pm

AgitoZ wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:59 pm
That's false.
With respect, AgitoZ, it's not false.

Unfortunately, it's here that things get a little tricky because, like you noted, people who take a stand one way or another seem to be subject to harassment, so that prevents me from naming names. However, as somebody who lives in Los Angeles, is quite familiar with the VO community here, and is friends in real life with many LA voice actors and casting directors, famous and not, in all fields of the VO industry (dubbing, promo, commercials, audiobook narration, animation, etc.), you have my complete assurances that that's simply not false.

Is the entire VO industry against him? Certainly not, and you noted several examples. However, my question was not if people could find supporters in the industry. My question was how many you can find. I'd also note that just because some people have decided to remain neutral in public (in many cases because they don't want the drama) doesn't mean they're neutral behind closed doors and when talking among friends.