Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Fri May 03, 2019 12:13 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:
like i said once USA aren't the center of the world about bruce lee release or jackie chan ones i was mostly talking about "international" versions of movies (bruce lee i talked mostly for French first release that was almost half an hour cut) , meaning that for me when a movie is done it should be released EVERYWHERE EXACTLY THE SAME not a 1h20 version here, a 2h07 version there etc or calling thoses movies "uncut version" when they aren't

your arguments about the price is total nonsense cause
- HD Scan that is the highest cost process with dirt etc cleaning is already done (else you should have all those things in the season sets and it wasn't in there
- RAW film only need little crop and slight color correction to be like level sets (and level sets wasn't even perfectly color corrected either

if they have done the color grading correctly frame by frame, white should be from a shade of grey in all frames and it's not white or grey
season sets also have color cast mostly hide by overbrightness

raw films color and level sets ones are similar and if i can color correct with free software, they can do it far easier than me and better, you'll also need to open your eyes . As raw film don't have the same color cast as the "remaster", they have altered colors

So yes i can affirm that they could have done FAR BETTER than this garbage and probably COULD have released the level sets for the same price so if people was buying crap cause it's low prices, then the best should have sold well for the same prices as level sets

about your screenshot, it's not cause few frames look fine or almost fine that it is acceptable

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri May 03, 2019 12:40 pm

SqueakyBoots wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 12:12 pm
JohnnyCashKami wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 7:12 am That doesn't look like the Level Sets but the Season Sets - 4:3 AR Edition (Black Brick).

Update

Screenshots below.

Here's what the first screenshot looked like in the raw scan. Taken from this video at the 4:27 mark. https://youtu.be/moAy02J2fd8?t=267

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 1:27 am I really don't understand why on the previous sets they left that crappy instrumental guitar movie theme on the dub with Japanese score on the opening when it really should have had Cha-La Head Cha-La/We Gotta Power, though the endings are indeed Zenkai Power and We Were Angels. That music really should have been restricted to just the English broadcast track only, and the only reason i can think of is it was an error that FUNi just never bothered to correct even after so long. Well, with the obvious exception of the Dragon Boxes which actually got it correct.
I remember that being a thing on the movie blu-rays. Was that something they did for the season set blu-rays too? Yeah, that definitely needs to be fixed. How does something like that even happen without anyone noticing? Or if it was an intentional choice, then why keep the ending themes intact?

Would be great if they added Spirit VS Spirit to the dub audio as well. I think at least on the Dragon Box, they just didn't have any music at all during that scene and it was really awkward to watch. The songs don't need to be dubbed but they should at least be there in a "dub with original Japanese score" audio track.
Yeah the whole music thing there has never made sense to me, it really kills the mood of the dub with the Kikuchi score track when that lame guitar instrumental is there on the opening instead of Cha La/We Gotta Power while the proper ending songs were there as they should.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri May 03, 2019 1:55 pm

That half our cut is weird as most cuts I hear of are from the UK for nunchaku and films like Rumble in the Bronx are the U.S version on Bluray pretty much anywhere...if you can find the HK cut on Blu-ray then do please share the link. Not to mention France has the films in "4k" (they're just the bluray files with some hdr and look no different than the US and HK releases). The Runtimes match every other release on bluray, so there is no reason to complain about an older release when the issue was fixed. As for Jackie chan youre luckier then the US cause half the films we cant get cause of Mirimax. In fact you can import a great release of Police Story 1 and 2 from the UK as youre the same reason. Heck, if I wasn Brandon Lee's Legacy of Rage, I have to get a region B player as the UK is the only one that has it as it seems they have a bigger market for classic HK action films.
You clearly need to watch the making of the level sets where they try to remove everything the can find. The Season sets are clean but cropping hid a lot of stuff such as tape marks. They also stabilized the footage wich the raw scan wouldn't and It seems you would of had a problem with. I've stated this before. FUNi should not be the one responsible to make an archival worthy release using 3rd gen film stock. That's TOEI's job. Can this release be better? Yes but the U.S isn't the center of the world of Dragon ball either, so again, if this set bothers you, its easy to ignore because this sets for the US market. Id suggest either waiting for TOEI or someone in Europe to do their own remaster.

jaisonas
Beyond Newbie

Post by jaisonas » Fri May 03, 2019 3:19 pm

There's no way toei or funi are gonna sit and do scene by scene color correction, its way too much effort. Even the perfect level sets suffer from the classic funimation reddish hue.
I enjoy tinkering with video and audio.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri May 03, 2019 3:42 pm

That tiny black dot on the right should've been erased because that kind of ruins the blue background.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Fri May 03, 2019 6:34 pm

Definitely agree with eledoremassis02 100%. I don't think anyone is claiming this release is perfect. and atleast in my opinion the Dragonboxes are the best there will probably ever be! that's just my opinion, but to call this release absolute trash etc etc is laughable.
I see people pointing out things about the screenshots and I can't help but to chuckle at some of the issues. again, Is it perfect? nope. will we ever have a perfect release? doubt it? because a lot of people talk trash even about Toei's Dragonboxes LOL I mean, What's it going to take to satisfy everyone?
I'm happy that Funimation is is giving us a 4x3 release of Z(and I am tired of buying Z btw) Is it zoomed in a bit so I can't see all the rips and tears that has befallen our favorite series? Yes...But again, I just have to repeat what eledoremassis02 has said, ''Why didn't everyone support heavily!!! The Level sets?''
Sure you could argue that Funimation over-saturated the market with releases, but that didn't mean anyone HAD to buy them. And lets not kid ourselves here...Funimation will definitely release another version eventually...we all know this. LOL :lol: I'm definitely not going to insult anyone who has bought this release. but I'm not going to talk down to anyone and say ''You're not a realll fannnn'' LOL
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Fri May 03, 2019 6:36 pm

jaisonas wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 3:19 pm There's no way toei or funi are gonna sit and do scene by scene color correction, its way too much effort. Even the perfect level sets suffer from the classic funimation reddish hue.
Yeah, I don't ever see that happening but dude, you're profile pic made me laugh. lol that's ridiculous LOL I know the guy's name from HXH I just can't think of it at the moment. lol
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
#1 Paikuhan fan!

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Fri May 03, 2019 7:43 pm

I really like the way this looks. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFl6ydm7O-w
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Fri May 03, 2019 8:00 pm

CNXtoonami/Enigmo? Yikes.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Fri May 03, 2019 8:21 pm

Shaddy wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 8:00 pm CNXtoonami/Enigmo? Yikes.
so they're a bad group? looks good from what I am seeing?
#1 Paikuhan fan!

jaisonas
Beyond Newbie

Post by jaisonas » Fri May 03, 2019 8:33 pm

samuraix123 wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 8:21 pm
I dont know the story but iirc its just one dude shitposting. In anycase i dont like the approach of "turn the saturation knob to max" color correction, it just doesnt look natural.
Here are some just as aggressive color corrections from the level sets but without any saturation added plus that one goku pic someone posted above
I enjoy tinkering with video and audio.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Fri May 03, 2019 8:42 pm

I've actually never asked about stuff like this before because I could care less but have you got any caparison shots of those vs the dragonboxes? and yeah I agree with you about the Dnr stuff but I honest to God don't think the blurays look bad. they're not great like other releases like the level sets and dragonboxes, but all I wanted was to own the first bluray release in 4x3 instead of 16x9 so it looks like I got my wish there. I just started rewatching Rurouni Kenshin for the first time in yeaaaaars and wish it had a bluray release but..whatever. :lol:
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri May 03, 2019 9:21 pm

He takes footage that looks good, then if it's HD applies crappy high-contrast colour-correction, and if it's SD, he crappily upscales it and then applies heavy sharpening and adds fake grain to cover up some of the worst of the damage, then applies crappy high-contrast colour-correction. And then either way, he processes the audio to add fake highs, EQs it in somewhat haphazard ways, and applies heavy noise reduction, which all distorts the sound pretty badly.
And naturally, he explains this looking and sounding "so good" as him having film reels from Toei, or master audio, or whatever.

The guy's just an idiotic troll and a liar. Ignore him.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri May 03, 2019 9:40 pm

Some screenshot comparisons from the new screenshots. I'm doing youtube vs youtube
http://www.framecompare.com/image-compa ... n/EF01NNNU
http://www.framecompare.com/image-compa ... n/GKWGNNNX

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Fri May 03, 2019 10:10 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 9:21 pm
He takes footage that looks good, then if it's HD applies crappy high-contrast colour-correction, and if it's SD, he crappily upscales it and then applies heavy sharpening and adds fake grain to cover up some of the worst of the damage, then applies crappy high-contrast colour-correction. And then either way, he processes the audio to add fake highs, EQs it in somewhat haphazard ways, and applies heavy noise reduction, which all distorts the sound pretty badly.
And naturally, he explains this looking and sounding "so good" as him having film reels from Toei, or master audio, or whatever.

The guy's just an idiotic troll and a liar. Ignore him.
Yeah, See I don't know anything about a lot of Youtubers and such. I will admit I'm a huggge fan of the franchise but when It comes to stuff like people who do that, i'm clueless. Lol heck, when photobucket started all their bullcrap about sharing your photo's etc I just quit looking for places to upload my stuff lol I have a facebook and no cell phone and my cousin calls me an old timer I'M 29 DANG IT!!! Lol
#1 Paikuhan fan!

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Fri May 03, 2019 10:14 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 9:40 pm Some screenshot comparisons from the new screenshots. I'm doing youtube vs youtube
Thanks buddy. Yeah, I can see the grain removal issue people have. That and the colors are thicker and brighter on the new sets which too me aren't ''that bad'' not enough to make me turn my nose up in disgust.
#1 Paikuhan fan!

SuperSaiyanPan
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanPan » Fri May 03, 2019 10:57 pm

You know when the image is upscaled/blown up to 1080p the grain is actually rather obnoxious and bothersome. And for context I am referencing the images of Goku/Nappa/Krillin above.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri May 03, 2019 11:25 pm

SuperSaiyanPan wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 10:57 pm You know when the image is upscaled/blown up to 1080p the grain is actually rather obnoxious and bothersome. And for context I am referencing the images of Goku/Nappa/Krillin above.
The trick is though that when its in motion, it's much less annoying. It's similar to looking at something through window blinds: if you keep your head still, you see more of the blinds, but if you move your head up and down, you can concentrate on the scenery behind the window. Similar idea with grain: at a certain point it goes from "millions of flecks on the screen" to just noise, and you can see the underlying picture beneath it all.

SquadronGOD
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SquadronGOD » Sat May 04, 2019 3:10 am

samuraix123 wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 6:34 pm Definitely agree with eledoremassis02 100%. I don't think anyone is claiming this release is perfect. and atleast in my opinion the Dragonboxes are the best there will probably ever be! that's just my opinion, but to call this release absolute trash etc etc is laughable.
I see people pointing out things about the screenshots and I can't help but to chuckle at some of the issues. again, Is it perfect? nope. will we ever have a perfect release? doubt it? because a lot of people talk trash even about Toei's Dragonboxes LOL I mean, What's it going to take to satisfy everyone?
I'm happy that Funimation is is giving us a 4x3 release of Z(and I am tired of buying Z btw) Is it zoomed in a bit so I can't see all the rips and tears that has befallen our favorite series? Yes...But again, I just have to repeat what eledoremassis02 has said, ''Why didn't everyone support heavily!!! The Level sets?''
Sure you could argue that Funimation over-saturated the market with releases, but that didn't mean anyone HAD to buy them. And lets not kid ourselves here...Funimation will definitely release another version eventually...we all know this. LOL :lol: I'm definitely not going to insult anyone who has bought this release. but I'm not going to talk down to anyone and say ''You're not a realll fannnn'' LOL

It is absolute trash..
People would have supported the level sets if they actually knew about them.. up until recently i i thought they were just a blu ray release of the orange bricks.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat May 04, 2019 3:46 am

eledoremassis02 wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 9:40 pm Some screenshot comparisons from the new screenshots. I'm doing youtube vs youtube
What do you use to download YouTube videos? Please tell me it's not thru some website because that's one of the worst ways possible.

Use YouTube-DL, IDM or JD2 but the first option is definitely the best.

It's because the Level Sets' Vegeta Smashing the Scouter screenshot looks highly compressed and I've seen that YouTube isn't even that bad.