Is it time GT gets recognized as an alternate timeline rather than just "not canon?"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jollyr
Beyond Newbie

Re: Is it time GT gets recognized as an alternate timeline rather than just "not canon?"

Post by jollyr » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:03 am

I think instead of rebooting or retelling it they should do a crossover if anything at all. It'd be very easy to come up with a reason to cross the timelines and it would honestly probably be really cool to see. Not to mention the buzz it would cause and attention it would get. Imagine seeing SSB vs SS4 in a real episode?

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Is it time GT gets recognized as an alternate timeline rather than just "not canon?"

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:01 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:53 pm
Bebi Hatchiyack wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:55 am
I think it's safer to resurrect a dead topic than creates a new one that would be just a duplicate. And discussion are discussion a Forum is used to speak about topics old or new.
No it isnt. You are not an admin or mod. Dont break the rules like that.
So you are telling me it's better to recreate the same topic again and again and flood the forum with the same subject interesting. If either you manage a board forum good luck :lol:

And beside he didn't break any rule.
jollyr wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:03 am I think instead of rebooting or retelling it they should do a crossover if anything at all. It'd be very easy to come up with a reason to cross the timelines and it would honestly probably be really cool to see. Not to mention the buzz it would cause and attention it would get. Imagine seeing SSB vs SS4 in a real episode?
Why not making an event DC Comics style a la Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths and the end event will saw GT timeline and Post Super timeline merge into one single timeline ?
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:48 am

Is there an actual reason why Super should stop for a moment and give a shit about GT instead of doing its own thing?

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:37 pm

Bebi Hatchiyack wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:01 am
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:53 pm
Bebi Hatchiyack wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:55 am
I think it's safer to resurrect a dead topic than creates a new one that would be just a duplicate. And discussion are discussion a Forum is used to speak about topics old or new.
No it isnt. You are not an admin or mod. Dont break the rules like that.
So you are telling me it's better to recreate the same topic again and again and flood the forum with the same subject interesting. If either you manage a board forum good luck :lol:

And beside he didn't break any rule.

jollyr wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:03 am I think instead of rebooting or retelling it they should do a crossover if anything at all. It'd be very easy to come up with a reason to cross the timelines and it would honestly probably be really cool to see. Not to mention the buzz it would cause and attention it would get. Imagine seeing SSB vs SS4 in a real episode?
Why not making an event DC Comics style a la Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths and the end event will saw GT timeline and Post Super timeline merge into one single timeline ?
They did. The mods do believe that if a topic is too old it a new one should be made.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:09 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:48 am Is there an actual reason why Super should stop for a moment and give a shit about GT instead of doing its own thing?
Mulla. GT would likely lose some brand value if it was ever officially disclosed to not be a part of the main story.

Super Murjin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Super Murjin » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:00 pm

Keep it separate.

Take the DC universe as an example.

One can enjoy and love Tim Burton's version of Batman .... same with Christopher Nolan's take on Batman .... and then hate the DC Cinematic Universe Ben Affleck version of Batman.

They are all Batman, but different versions of the character.

They are all part of the franchise, just not the same continuity.

Bruce Wayne was only Batman for a short period of time in the Nolan verse, but in the comics he was Batman for decades.
Basically, you can't combine certain elements from different continuities in one.

GT should remain it's own thing. For those that like GT, least there are characters like SSJ4 Goku, Omega Shenron and Bebi-Vegeta showing up in Super Dragon Ball Heroes. That's cool.

As for the main continuity and timeline, keep GT separate from the original manga/Super.

Now if Toriyama/Toyotaro/Toei decide to reintroduce something old as something new within Dragon Ball Super, that could work.

Like have a Dragon Ball Super take on the Shadow Dragon Arc or have an adventure searching for the Super Dragon Balls similar to how Goku, Pan and Trunks searched for the Black Star Dragon Balls.

GT Goku and main timeline Goku are separate characters. No different than Batman (Nolan's version) to Batman (Tim Burton's version).
Same overall franchise. So not canon.

jollyr
Beyond Newbie

Post by jollyr » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:52 pm

Super Murjin wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:00 pm Keep it separate.

Take the DC universe as an example.

One can enjoy and love Tim Burton's version of Batman .... same with Christopher Nolan's take on Batman .... and then hate the DC Cinematic Universe Ben Affleck version of Batman.

They are all Batman, but different versions of the character.

They are all part of the franchise, just not the same continuity.

Bruce Wayne was only Batman for a short period of time in the Nolan verse, but in the comics he was Batman for decades.
Basically, you can't combine certain elements from different continuities in one.

GT should remain it's own thing. For those that like GT, least there are characters like SSJ4 Goku, Omega Shenron and Bebi-Vegeta showing up in Super Dragon Ball Heroes. That's cool.

As for the main continuity and timeline, keep GT separate from the original manga/Super.

Now if Toriyama/Toyotaro/Toei decide to reintroduce something old as something new within Dragon Ball Super, that could work.

Like have a Dragon Ball Super take on the Shadow Dragon Arc or have an adventure searching for the Super Dragon Balls similar to how Goku, Pan and Trunks searched for the Black Star Dragon Balls.

GT Goku and main timeline Goku are separate characters. No different than Batman (Nolan's version) to Batman (Tim Burton's version).
Same overall franchise. So not canon.
Agreed but it seems like some people have a really hard time doing that for some reason

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:26 am

jollyr wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:52 pm Agreed but it seems like some people have a really hard time doing that for some reason
I think it's the mixture of GT having so much potential and Super also being a sequel to Z that takes place in (roughly) the same time period that makes it so tantalizing to have another crack at that material again. It'd be interesting for sure and ending Super with the Shadow Dragons again would be beyond awesome, but I'd rather have attempts at new stories rather than trying to fix older ones.

I think another facet at play in regards to alternate timelines is that Toei REALLY don't like mentioning that, likely because doing so would de-prioritize a part of the franchise they still make a lot of money from. Kinda makes me think that's why (nostalgia aside) Super takes place before the End of Z rather than after like GT did.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:17 am

I think it’s time to recognize in the grand scheme things canon/not canon/alternate time mean jack shit. Either you like GT or you don’t.

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Desassina » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:08 am

I usually compare Mr. Toriyama to James Cameron and his canon entries to the Terminator movies.

Dragon Ball <=> The Terminator
Dragon Ball Z <=> T2: Judgement Day

Dragon Ball GT <=> T3: Rise of the Machines
Dragon Ball Super <=> Terminator Genisys

The last two were obviously not by them, but whether they adhere to a continuity or are as authentic as the originals is for another day, because what matters is that they're not revisiting older entries to consider them canon. They're moving on with their own plans and that's what they should.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:50 pm

jollyr wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:00 pm
TheGreatness25 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:26 am Maybe I'm in the minority, but I would like some clarification on how GT is viewed by the main timeline. As I said before: Toei advertised it as the official sequel to the Dragon Ball series and I don't want to feel punished for actually buying into their crap. It's bad enough that it's being written off, but it's a whole other slap in the face when they don't even come out and either say "Yes, it exists in another timeline as described in Super," or "Nope, doesn't exist; thanks for the money, ciao."

As a fan, I have spent too much time and money on GT, and I feel like I deserve to know whether that collection of DVDs (singles, green bricks, and Dragon Box) occupying space in one of my closets, is at least salvageable, or if I can just pretend to have never seen it.

I've come to grips that GT just got shat on by everyone. I get that it's been beaten to the ground and assassinated. But for Toei not to come out and just give a simple answer to a very obvious, glaring question that many fans have, is kind of dickish. And while the GT haters -- the majority -- rejoice and pee on GT's badly-desecrated grave, I just want some closure on the entire series that I grew up believing to be the official continuation of Z, which is why I even watched it and gave it a chance and stuck up for it in the first place.

By the way, I have made posts that come off angry before, this isn't me angry. I'm just saying.
I feel like you're taking it way too serious. It does actually exist in ya know the real world and its there for us to enjoy whenever we want.
That's a November, 2016 post. I'm pretty over it now lol Actually enjoying Super and appreciating all of the side adventures coming out. Gave up on thinking of DB as a linear thing.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:58 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:50 pm Gave up on thinking of DB as a linear thing.
I don't know what that means.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:03 pm

It means that I don't care about continuity, don't care what belongs in which universe or timeline. I can enjoy the Bardock special just like I can enjoy Minus. I don't drive myself nuts figuring out how to reconcile the differences between Battle of Gods and the first arc of Super. I just watch and enjoy. There has been so much material to disrupt the "main timeline" that I don't care anymore.

jollyr
Beyond Newbie

Post by jollyr » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:27 am

That's a November, 2016 post. I'm pretty over it now lol Actually enjoying Super and appreciating all of the side adventures coming out. Gave up on thinking of DB as a linear thing.
[/quote]

Lol good for you I feel like that's the only way we can enjoy the series now and days otherwise you'll just lose your mind trying to fit everything in boxes

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:45 am

Lots of people seem to want it everything to fit together and it's not just DB. Any franchise seemingly must all connect.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

PhoenixEX
Regular

Post by PhoenixEX » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:18 pm

Yes but with that said what about Dragonball Evolution? A timeline where Goku went to high school? Is it time Geeko becomes canon?
One World. 🌐 🕊

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:23 pm

ABED wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:45 am Lots of people seem to want it everything to fit together and it's not just DB. Any franchise seemingly must all connect.
To be fair, most stories that are well-written have a consistency and continuity. They don't just start ignoring things out of convenience or rewrite things just to fit their new direction without any sort of mention of what's happening. Much smaller inconsistencies than exist in DB, have been scrutinized.

But that's just not DB's style, which I'll say that for the most part, it is terribly written. That doesn't mean that it can't be enjoyable, though.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:47 am

At this point, there is only one way to make GT canon "as it is" and i hope it wont happen, Goku became too powerful and with his attidute Beerus and Whis decide he is too dangerous afterall, so they reset timeline to end of Buu and they wont arrive on Earth not giving birth to SSJ God, that would be most lazy thing to do and would render Super absolutely pointless (And seing Broly and Freeza stuff, timeline reset wouldnt happen because resurrected Freeza would kill everyone)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:30 am

TheGreatness25 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:23 pm
ABED wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:45 am Lots of people seem to want it everything to fit together and it's not just DB. Any franchise seemingly must all connect.
To be fair, most stories that are well-written have a consistency and continuity. They don't just start ignoring things out of convenience or rewrite things just to fit their new direction without any sort of mention of what's happening. Much smaller inconsistencies than exist in DB, have been scrutinized.

But that's just not DB's style, which I'll say that for the most part, it is terribly written. That doesn't mean that it can't be enjoyable, though.
This has ceased to be a story and has become a franchise. What I'm talking about goes beyond acknowledging continuity, but forcing things into continuity because they see continuity and canon as ends in themselves.

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:54 am

For me I love when things are connected because it give me a feel of reality, like for example a Genealogy Tree that connect you to other person and even Royalty or Historical event that lead to other Historical event. For example without 1870 war no first world war and then no world war 2 lol
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu