Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by KBABZ » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:42 pm

Brangeta wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:09 pm I wouldn't know, unfortunately. I just know most of the art in the book is from the last ~10 years I imagine. I assume some of it is from artists that Funimation uses, but I don't follow that sort of thing as closely as some people here. I've seen some of the same artwork in the book on t-shirts for sale in the last ~3 years if that helps at all.
I know for a fact that the Blu-Ray panoramas were provided by Toei because Kanzenshuu were able to get the sketch version of that artwork from Funi. I'd be interested to see pictures of this stuff from the artbook so I can say if they were used or not!
jaisonas wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:25 pm
Scavenger wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:13 pm I'm morbidly curious if the 30th anniversary set has shots that are as bad as the worst shots from Funi's dnr'd and fake grained Cowboy Bebop BD: https://slow.pics/comparison/9b33a955-6 ... 93ab564017
I seriously cant understand the practice of removing "noise" and then adding it back again. Its like going back to what you set out to do. Might as well not add it at all to look """"cleaner""""
It's like the Orange Bricks all over again. I thought Funimation was well past this shit.

TheSonofKakarrot
Not-So-Newbie

Post by TheSonofKakarrot » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:04 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:29 am
coola wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:17 am
TheGreatness25 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:02 am

Except people aren't complaining about tree video quality, which is the only thing that everyone was screaming, "Don't buy this!" to. I don't remember anyone screaming, "Hey the packaging will be subpar and it'll scratch the discs!" or, "Don't buy this because they'll package it so horribly that the set will have scuffles on it!"

Once again, blaming the fans who just wanted a freaking 4:3 complete set. As I said before -- that's pathetic.

Now everyone has the Dragon Boxes and not everyone wants to download a pirated version. So what are those fans to do? But hey, as long as you didn't buy this set, I guess you don't have to feel bad for anyone, huh? I guess I shouldn't feel bad for anyone that didn't get the Dragon Boxes as they were released either and just say things like, "Well you should've bought it when you had the chance!"

Come on, enough with the fan shaming. "Err why'd you buy it?" Because they wanted to. Doesn't mean they did anything wrong and it doesn't mean that they deserve this for their money.
It can actually be applied to everything, there is so many subpar releases, or stuff like 100$ subscription for Fallout 76, because they are people who buy it, if it didnt make money, companies would care more.

I understand fans want 4:3 sets and DBoxes sadly turned out to be limited release (And even if they werent, if you were dub fan and Faulconer music, then this set wouldnt be for you...) but that doesn't mean you should accept crappy release. If only it had at least Broadcast audio, then maybe i would think about it, but as of now..t.hank god for fan edits that did better job than official release...
The other problem is that the FUNi dbox had compression issues. I sold mine cause they looked nowhere near as good as the Japanese ones. I'm not collecting the Dragon Box singles (thank god for those)
See I was told that the video quality in comparison to the Japanese dragon box was negligible at best. You’re saying otherwise?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:07 pm

I don't think people realize that licensees of works can only use materials provided by the companies they license the content from for promo materials. FUNi can't just use any art not provided or approved by Toei. Clearly the artwork was commissioned by FUNi & drawn up by someone at the Toei staff, rather than being fanart or drawn by FUNi themselves. FUNi clearly have graphic designers for their home releases & merch, but I doubt they employ actual artists for their stuff.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

ronaldnorth_03
Beyond Newbie

Post by ronaldnorth_03 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:12 pm

After years of using DNR in its remastering, why has Funi never achieved a similar result to the recently remastered TV Specials?

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:12 pm

TheSonofKakarrot wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:04 pm
See I was told that the video quality in comparison to the Japanese dragon box was negligible at best. You’re saying otherwise?
It's not the biggest difference in the world but it definitely makes a difference during action or scenes with auras.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:17 pm

Ajay wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:12 pm
TheSonofKakarrot wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:04 pm
It's not the biggest difference in the world but it definitely makes a difference during action or scenes with auras.
Thats where I noticed it. When their escaping boo when he blows up the earth it hit dragon ball singles level

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:21 pm

Brangeta wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:09 pm
KBABZ wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:24 pm Isn't that the officially-provided Yamamoto artwork? That looks consistent with the pieces he provided for FighterZ's Arc posters in that game. I really hope Shintani does this stuff in the future.
I wouldn't know, unfortunately. I just know most of the art in the book is from the last ~10 years I imagine. I assume some of it is from artists that Funimation uses, but I don't follow that sort of thing as closely as some people here. I've seen some of the same artwork in the book on t-shirts for sale in the last ~3 years if that helps at all.
I think that in one of the old widescreen Blu-ray specials, they were explaining that Toei sends them the art that they use for promotional material and boxart. I don't know how true that is.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:50 pm

Scsigs wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:07 pm I don't think people realize that licensees of works can only use materials provided by the companies they license the content from for promo materials. FUNi can't just use any art not provided or approved by Toei. Clearly the artwork was commissioned by FUNi & drawn up by someone at the Toei staff, rather than being fanart or drawn by FUNi themselves. FUNi clearly have graphic designers for their home releases & merch, but I doubt they employ actual artists for their stuff.
Yeah, the Blu Ray sets were done by Yamamoto because it REALLY has that past-his-prime look that we've discussed to death in the past.

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:05 pm

KBABZ wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:50 pm Yeah, the Blu Ray sets were done by Yamamoto because it REALLY has that past-his-prime look that we've discussed to death in the past.
Just want to point out that you’re thinking of Yamamuro not Yamamoto. Yamamoto was music plagiarizer man. :)

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:18 pm

I was thinking about is how this has totally hit scalpers. This set is super niche and most in that niche dont like this set lol

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:12 pm

Freeza Soldier #156 wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:05 pm music plagiarizer man
Worst. Supervillain. Ever.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:17 pm

ABED wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:12 pm
Yeah, he has the powers of early 5 Seconds of Summer.

For context, they ripped off a TON of other bands on their first 2 albums & half a baker's dozen EPs from 5 years ago. I'm surprised they didn't get sued considering they never credited them.
Last edited by Scsigs on Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:21 pm

ABED wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:12 pm
You do have a great sense of humor lol. Sorry for that other time.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:21 pm

Freeza Soldier #156 wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:05 pm Just want to point out that you’re thinking of Yamamuro not Yamamoto. Yamamoto was music plagiarizer man. :)
Well either way they're not exactly favoured in the fandom these days, haha. But thanks for the correction!

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:42 pm

The box art follows Yamamuros designs but hey aren't Yamamuro. They're Square face guy. Same with the Blue Bricks.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:43 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:42 pm The box art follows Yamamuros designs but hey aren't Yamamuro. They're Square face guy. Same with the Blue Bricks.
First I've heard of him! Distant cousin of Triangle Guy?

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:46 pm

KBABZ wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:43 pm
jjgp1112 wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:42 pm The box art follows Yamamuros designs but hey aren't Yamamuro. They're Square face guy. Same with the Blue Bricks.
First I've heard of him! Distant cousin of Triangle Guy?
He's also generally called Bad Promo artist but he's done the lion share of major promo art for the last 10 years. You'll know his stuff when toy see me lol.

It's a shame that the Legends/Dokkan promo guy or the one with the Shida esque designs doesn't get featured on the major stuff.
Last edited by jjgp1112 on Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cold World (Fanfic)

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:47 pm

The cover and art on the disc books are Yamamuro. In the booklet, it's a mix of all kinds of promo artists, and also some Yam.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:51 pm

Ajay wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:47 pm The cover and art on the disc books are Yamamuro. In the booklet, it's a mix of all kinds of promo artists, and also some Yam.
Ah okay. The main ones didn't seem Yam like to me but I guess I haven't examined them closely enough
Cold World (Fanfic)

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:29 am

Well, at least there's some diversity of the artists featured. I just thought it would be Yamamuro all over with his promo art, or art that follows his designs closely.