Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 10; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Robo4900
I Live Here
Posts: 3796
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: In another time and place...

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:47 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:36 pm
This kind of makes me think of the #ReleaseTheSnyderCut movement. In case you might be wondering, I don’t mean that like it’s a bad thing. The dub has already been recorded, so this certainly isn’t an unreasonable thing to wish for.
Yeah.

Honestly, I was trying to invoke that feel when I chose the hashtag "#ReleaseTheOceanDub".

Ultimately, the Snyder Cut movement is working (Gal Gadot and Ben Affleck both Tweeted it, and they don't use their Twitter accounts; it's their publicists, so it's likely there's something in the works. Ray Fisher and Jason Momoa have also Tweeted about it, and Zack Snyder himself has egged it on all along), and it's omnipresent right now, so it's not a bad thing to invoke.

And this is not as hard a sell as that. Dragon Ball is consistently popular wherever it goes, Ocean Kai is a finished product, the Ocean cast have a great history in the UK and Canada, as I say, it opens the door for Netflix to step in on the Dragon Ball turf for the UK and Canada, and with home video and TV mattering less and less these days (especially among kids, Dragon Ball's target audience), if we can drum up support for it on Netflix, I'd honestly call this an ideal scenario.

I don't know if this will work. Just like they don't know if the Snyder Cut movement will work. Just like they didn't know the Donner Cut movement would work. Just like the fans didn't think the Ocean cast would return in 1999. But y'know what, it just might work, it requires little to no effort to take part in this movement (again, just a like on that Tweet will do a whole world of good), so we lose nothing by trying, so I say it's worth a shot. And if we fail in this attempt, we'll have a massively-liked, massively-retweeted, massively-replied-to Tweet we can point other platforms to.

The story of Ocean Kai is far from being all over. :)
Last edited by Robo4900 on Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A somewhat self-indulgent thesis on my current outlook on Dragon Ball fandom, which I feel should be below every post I make from now on:

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1711
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama, USA

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:47 pm

Seriously, it's not like there is absolutely 0% chance Kai dubbed with the Ocean cast will ever release in any form whatsoever so making noise and spreading the word in those ways will at least get the message out in the event that someone does eventually take interest. I mean as of now it's not at the point of "No way, this is never going to see the light of day anywhere." so the possibility is still there that it'll be picked up some day so no point yet in throwing the towel in.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2807
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Scsigs » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:11 pm

If you ask me, this dub has more of a chance at this point of being leaked online than airing on TV. It's been almost 10 years since it would've been recorded & it's nearing 10 years passed where Kai was relevant, so unless they wanna do an anniversary airing, I don't see it happening.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

User avatar
TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here
Posts: 3593
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:05 am

Scsigs wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:11 pm
If you ask me, this dub has more of a chance at this point of being leaked online than airing on TV. It's been almost 10 years since it would've been recorded & it's nearing 10 years passed where Kai was relevant, so unless they wanna do an anniversary airing, I don't see it happening.
I took a brief trip to Vancouver not too long ago to check it out (beautiful city, by the way, I highly recommend going there if possible, especially if you're into nature/hikes/biking/outdoorsy-stuff). Of course, aside from all the outdoor stuff, I had to cross an item off my "nerd pilgrimage checklist," and drive by Ocean Studios briefly. I knew better than to knock or ask to get inside, a quick picture was all I took/had time for...but it was weird to know that, inside that small blue building on a small street, there was a hard drive that contained a dub that so many people want to see. It was the ultimate feeling of, "So near, yet so far-fetched"!

Let's put it this way. If, by some string of strange, completely unexpected string of events, I one day become the Prime Minister of Canada, and someone does leak that dub and gets in some sort of legal trouble for it, I hereby promise to Kanzenshuu that I will grant the leaker a full pardon. :lol:
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

User avatar
sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6588
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:39 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by sangofe » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:42 am

Robo4900 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:55 pm
I've contacted Netflix UK. I told them the situation with Ocean Kai, and the rep passed the info on. They then encouraged me to get as many people as possible to Tweet Netflix of the UK and Canada.

So, ladies and gentlemen, and everyone between and beyond, please help me out in one more effort to get this damn thing on air. Who knows if it'll succeed. It may not. But we lose nothing by trying, sending out just a simple Tweet (and/or just liking/retweeting the root tweet, if writing a tweet is too much -- or not enough -- for you). And we may just succeed. :)

The accounts to Tweet are @NetflixUK and @Netflix_CA
The hashtags to use are #KaiForCanada #KaiForNetflix #ReleaseTheOceanDub

I suggest you send your Tweet in reply to this Tweet. Then all the Tweets in favour of this are in one place, and it'll auto-ping the two Netflix accounts, giving you more space for the three hashtags and your message. :)
Throw in a like and a retweet to spread the word further too! :D

Let's make some noise. Pitch the Ocean dub, pitch the fact that this way, Netflix could compete with certain other companies in the anime space (do NOT tag Funimation in your Tweets, though), using one of the hottest anime properties in the world, and bringing back the professional, legendary Vancouver-based cast that Canada and the UK fell in love with. Netflix should talk to Toei Europe about this, and they should take Ocean's Kai dub, NOT Funimation's. Both studios dubbed all 98 episodes, but only Ocean has the cast we all fell in love with, and Ocean's dub is what we want.

For anyone who's doubtful, remember this:
Netflix are competing with Funimation in the anime space. Ocean Kai should be easy and cheap for them to acquire, and could easily open the door for them to hire Ocean to dub more Dragon Ball, starting with the direct sequel, Kai: The Final Chapters. Might not happen (though they have done their own dubs, usually by hiring Bang Zoom), but that's not the point: The point is simply that there is that opportunity for Netflix to take up the Dragon Ball brand in the UK and Canada, and thus have a great slice of the pie of one of the largest anime properties out there. The Ocean cast are established and loved by fans, particularly in the UK and Canada, so this should be an easy pitch.
Hmm. They seemed interested? If that could make it a to the front page of Kanzenshuu...

Dragon Ball Ireland
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1844
Joined: Thu May 21, 2015 9:09 am
Location: Kildare, Ireland

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:35 am

sangofe wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:42 am
Robo4900 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:55 pm
I've contacted Netflix UK. I told them the situation with Ocean Kai, and the rep passed the info on. They then encouraged me to get as many people as possible to Tweet Netflix of the UK and Canada.

So, ladies and gentlemen, and everyone between and beyond, please help me out in one more effort to get this damn thing on air. Who knows if it'll succeed. It may not. But we lose nothing by trying, sending out just a simple Tweet (and/or just liking/retweeting the root tweet, if writing a tweet is too much -- or not enough -- for you). And we may just succeed. :)

The accounts to Tweet are @NetflixUK and @Netflix_CA
The hashtags to use are #KaiForCanada #KaiForNetflix #ReleaseTheOceanDub

I suggest you send your Tweet in reply to this Tweet. Then all the Tweets in favour of this are in one place, and it'll auto-ping the two Netflix accounts, giving you more space for the three hashtags and your message. :)
Throw in a like and a retweet to spread the word further too! :D

Let's make some noise. Pitch the Ocean dub, pitch the fact that this way, Netflix could compete with certain other companies in the anime space (do NOT tag Funimation in your Tweets, though), using one of the hottest anime properties in the world, and bringing back the professional, legendary Vancouver-based cast that Canada and the UK fell in love with. Netflix should talk to Toei Europe about this, and they should take Ocean's Kai dub, NOT Funimation's. Both studios dubbed all 98 episodes, but only Ocean has the cast we all fell in love with, and Ocean's dub is what we want.

For anyone who's doubtful, remember this:
Netflix are competing with Funimation in the anime space. Ocean Kai should be easy and cheap for them to acquire, and could easily open the door for them to hire Ocean to dub more Dragon Ball, starting with the direct sequel, Kai: The Final Chapters. Might not happen (though they have done their own dubs, usually by hiring Bang Zoom), but that's not the point: The point is simply that there is that opportunity for Netflix to take up the Dragon Ball brand in the UK and Canada, and thus have a great slice of the pie of one of the largest anime properties out there. The Ocean cast are established and loved by fans, particularly in the UK and Canada, so this should be an easy pitch.
Hmm. They seemed interested? If that could make it a to the front page of Kanzenshuu...
Yeah... They'd be crazy not to. Netflix has shown a lot of interest in anime and playing a part in its future. I'd say there's no doubt they are aware of Dragon Ball's popularity and have at least had it on their mind beyond the recent movies streaming in the UK. I liked and retweeted, hopefully we can get the word out so this becomes viral.
Selling
- Arrival DVD single
- Betrayal DVD single

Looking For
- Funimation Level 1.2 Replacement Cover
- Showdown DVD single

If interested PM with offers

User avatar
sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6588
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:39 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by sangofe » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:18 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:35 am
sangofe wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:42 am
Robo4900 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:55 pm
I've contacted Netflix UK. I told them the situation with Ocean Kai, and the rep passed the info on. They then encouraged me to get as many people as possible to Tweet Netflix of the UK and Canada.

So, ladies and gentlemen, and everyone between and beyond, please help me out in one more effort to get this damn thing on air. Who knows if it'll succeed. It may not. But we lose nothing by trying, sending out just a simple Tweet (and/or just liking/retweeting the root tweet, if writing a tweet is too much -- or not enough -- for you). And we may just succeed. :)

The accounts to Tweet are @NetflixUK and @Netflix_CA
The hashtags to use are #KaiForCanada #KaiForNetflix #ReleaseTheOceanDub

I suggest you send your Tweet in reply to this Tweet. Then all the Tweets in favour of this are in one place, and it'll auto-ping the two Netflix accounts, giving you more space for the three hashtags and your message. :)
Throw in a like and a retweet to spread the word further too! :D

Let's make some noise. Pitch the Ocean dub, pitch the fact that this way, Netflix could compete with certain other companies in the anime space (do NOT tag Funimation in your Tweets, though), using one of the hottest anime properties in the world, and bringing back the professional, legendary Vancouver-based cast that Canada and the UK fell in love with. Netflix should talk to Toei Europe about this, and they should take Ocean's Kai dub, NOT Funimation's. Both studios dubbed all 98 episodes, but only Ocean has the cast we all fell in love with, and Ocean's dub is what we want.

For anyone who's doubtful, remember this:
Netflix are competing with Funimation in the anime space. Ocean Kai should be easy and cheap for them to acquire, and could easily open the door for them to hire Ocean to dub more Dragon Ball, starting with the direct sequel, Kai: The Final Chapters. Might not happen (though they have done their own dubs, usually by hiring Bang Zoom), but that's not the point: The point is simply that there is that opportunity for Netflix to take up the Dragon Ball brand in the UK and Canada, and thus have a great slice of the pie of one of the largest anime properties out there. The Ocean cast are established and loved by fans, particularly in the UK and Canada, so this should be an easy pitch.
Hmm. They seemed interested? If that could make it a to the front page of Kanzenshuu...
Yeah... They'd be crazy not to. Netflix has shown a lot of interest in anime and playing a part in its future. I'd say there's no doubt they are aware of Dragon Ball's popularity and have at least had it on their mind beyond the recent movies streaming in the UK. I liked and retweeted, hopefully we can get the word out so this becomes viral.
What about a petition, too?

User avatar
NitroEX
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1509
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:21 am
Location: Not America

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by NitroEX » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:58 am

sangofe wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:18 am
What about a petition, too?
Petitions never work.

Plus it was already a thing.

User avatar
sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6588
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:39 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by sangofe » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:07 am

NitroEX wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:58 am
sangofe wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:18 am
What about a petition, too?
Petitions never work.

Plus it was already a thing.
What's a good way to advertise their interest, then? Other than kanzenshuu.com doing it - which I doubt they would -? Maybe if the big youtubers advertise it?

User avatar
TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here
Posts: 3593
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:44 pm

Part of me wonders if Netflix is actually able do that, regardless of whether they want to or not. It would depend on the specifics of FUNimation's existing agreement with Toei regarding Kai's digital distribution rights in the UK and Ireland.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

User avatar
Robo4900
I Live Here
Posts: 3796
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: In another time and place...

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:35 pm

sangofe wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:07 am
NitroEX wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:58 am
sangofe wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:18 am
What about a petition, too?
Petitions never work.

Plus it was already a thing.
What's a good way to advertise their interest, then? Other than kanzenshuu.com doing it - which I doubt they would -? Maybe if the big youtubers advertise it?
I agree with Nitro that petitions are a bad idea; best way to advertise interest is to spread it on Twitter and other social media. /r/dbz doesn't like things like this, but let's hope it gets to the front of Kanzenshuu, and let's try to just get people talking about it in as many places as possible.

Anyone who has a Twitter; retweet, like and reply with the hashtags. Anyone who doesn't have a Twitter -- now's the time to sign up. You don't have to use that account for anything else, just pledge your support and help this Tweet go viral.

Even if this Netflix thing doesn't pan out, this Tweet will be what we point any other networks to to show there's demand. And if Netflix decide to pick up Dragon Ball, this Tweet and its replies will be all we have to show that they have to go for the Ocean dub. Push this thing hard, people! :D
TheBlackPaladin wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:44 pm
Part of me wonders if Netflix is actually able do that, regardless of whether they want to or not. It would depend on the specifics of FUNimation's existing agreement with Toei regarding Kai's digital distribution rights in the UK and Ireland.
There is no agreement regarding its digital distribution in the UK and Ireland. Even if there was, it wouldn't be a case of "We are the only dub allowed to be distributed", it would be a case of "This streaming service has the exclusive right to stream Kai, and they have chosen to purchase these versions". But I'm pretty sure no where is streaming Kai at the moment. In fact, while I think some services like Amazon have some of the Dragon Ball series available for purchase, I don't think any streaming subscriptions have any Dragon Ball in the UK or Canada, aside from UK Netflix having the BOG and ResF movies.
A somewhat self-indulgent thesis on my current outlook on Dragon Ball fandom, which I feel should be below every post I make from now on:

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2807
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Scsigs » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:39 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:44 pm
Part of me wonders if Netflix is actually able do that, regardless of whether they want to or not. It would depend on the specifics of FUNimation's existing agreement with Toei regarding Kai's digital distribution rights in the UK and Ireland.
It's all up to Manga UK, which IS part of FUNi's family, but mostly because they're both owned by Sony currently. I imagine they own streaming rights, or can get access to them through FUNi, since THEY own the rights for NA. As for Canada, FUNi still owns distribution rights &, unless they negotiate to license the Ocean dub for Kai, which they probably wouldn't do, that's very unlikely to have the Canadian dub on NA Netflix when FUNi's is the default English dub & voice cast.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

User avatar
Robo4900
I Live Here
Posts: 3796
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: In another time and place...

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:05 pm

I'm actually shocked by the level of misinformation and outright nonsense in Scsigs post, so my apologies, but this is going to be a long one...
Scsigs wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:39 pm
It's all up to Manga UK, which IS part of FUNi's family, but mostly because they're both owned by Sony currently.
It isn't up to MangaUK. MangaUK distribute the home video, and they distribute Funimation's dub. No reason Netflix can't talk to Toei Europe instead. Allegedly Funimation hold MangaUK's same position in America, and yet Wow talked to Toei America when they were looking into Kai, and when Fathom Events did the cinema screenings of the movies, that was done through Toei rather than Funimation.
Scsigs wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:39 pm
I imagine they own streaming rights
As I've said over and over and over and over and over again in this thread and others, THAT'S NOT A THING.

Services get the rights to stream a show, but there's no mythical "Streaming rights" that would prevent Ocean's dub from airing. If Netflix chose to go with Funimation's dub, then that would stop Ocean's dub from airing, but only because Netflix would likely have an exclusive deal in whatever territory they chose, and the version they would have chosen in that scenario would not be Ocean's.

But if Netflix want to get Ocean's dub, there isn't anything to stop them. MangaUK may try to not offer it to them, if they talk to MangaUK instead of Toei Europe. But Netflix may be able to insist. We'll see. Ultimately, we actually don't know if MangaUK could refuse to offer it. Claiming to have any knowledge that would suggest any particular company could influence this is, frankly, ridiculous. Especially given what we learned from Westwood making their dubs in 2000-2005, we have no reason to believe anything other than the simple idea that distribution platforms can license and show whatever version they want.
Scsigs wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:39 pm
or can get access to them through FUNi, since THEY own the rights for NA.
I'll say this, Funi do own the rights to stream Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, Dragon Ball GT, and I think some of the movies in the USA. Because Funi have a streaming service that operates in the USA.

But those are simply the rights to stream those shows in the USA. Nothing more. And I'm pretty sure other countries can't sublicense these kinds of rights. It would be pretty weird if Netflix USA could sub-license UK Netflix's license to Star Trek Discovery. Or, to give a more accurate comparison given you're talking about Netflix licensing it through Funi, it'd be like Netflix USA sub-licensing CraveTV's license to Star Trek Discovery in Canada.
Though even this is imperfect, because Funi don't own the rights to stream Kai. So it'd be more like Netflix Canada sub-licensing the rights to stream Project GKR from Hulu. (Since no where is streaming GKR, so it couldn't be licensed from Hulu, and it doesn't make sense anyway because Netflix Canada is based in Canada and Hulu is in the USA, and they're separate companies. So you see, none of this makes any sense at all)
The only reason for all this confusion is that since Funimation produce a dub in addition to operating a streaming service, so whether it actually happened this way or not, it does look like anywhere that licenses a show dubbed by Funimation, licensed it from Funimation. So people assume Funimation has more pull than they actually have. There's no evidence for any of this thinking, it's just circumstantial connection of random dots.
Scsigs wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:39 pm
As for Canada, FUNi still owns distribution rights &, unless they negotiate to license the Ocean dub for Kai, which they probably wouldn't do,
So, first off, as we saw with Wow, companies in Canada either usually talk to Toei of America, or they can do that if they wish. And if they talk to Toei America, then Toei America is happy to offer Ocean's version.

In theory, it may be an obstacle for Canada that Funimation's streaming service operates in North America. I THINK FuniNow doesn't operate in Canada, though?...

But, either way, it may not matter at all, in fact. Because, and this is the key thing, Funi aren't streaming Kai. So, even if there was an incredibly weird situation where the Canadian and USA rights were in one lump (which won't be a thing), or if FuniNow does actually operate in Canada (which may be the case, though I'm not sure it is), any exclusivity deals wouldn't apply to Kai, because no one is streaming it at the moment. So, especially since Kai is an older show and thus Toei have less reason to be weird about it, there's no reason Toei America can't give Ocean's Kai to Netflix CA, and there's also no reason that Toei Europe couldn't give Ocean's Kai to Netflix UK.
Scsigs wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:39 pm
that's very unlikely to have the Canadian dub on NA Netflix when FUNi's is the default English dub & voice cast.
You say "NA Netflix" as if all of North America has one lump of streaming rights. Ultimately, Netflix CA and US do have two different sets of rights for streaming stuff (a lot of the difference comes down to the USA not being able to get shows that are exclusive to Hulu or HBO or whatever; in other words, it's the same situation as everywhere else in the world).

It's generally accepted that the way this works is that Netflix would have to acquire a license for a given show for each country separately. That's why every streaming service has a different catalogue in every country.

So, not only is "NA Netflix" not a thing, but there's also the matter of "FUNi's is the default English dub & voice cast". While it is true that they are really the only voice cast that the USA has known, and they are the voice of the video games, Dragon Ball hasn't been airing on Canadian TV, and it's not streaming anywhere, so most people in Canada only really know Dragon Ball from when they watched it as a kid when it was on TV around 1998-2006(ish). Yes I know there's DVDs, but do you really think people watched it more on DVD than they did on TV back in the day? And do you really think people watch DVDs more than they watch streams?
And aside from a chunk of episodes in the middle of Z, Canada always had Ocean's dubs.
Ultimately though, I think you underestimate how much people care about the Funi cast. You assume people care, but I think that's a silly assumption to make. Dragon Ball is always popular, whatever dub airs, so the regular fans will just be happy to get Dragon Ball. (And any average joe who just picked up the DVDs in Canada & the UK and watched that version won't care either)
But, there are a lot of fans who are big on the idea of the Ocean dub, because that's the version they grew up on. So, if there's any preference in Canada or the UK, it'll be for the Ocean dub. That's what we're seeing from the attention this Tweet is getting so far, that's what we're seeing from the hundreds of pages of this thread, etc. Even those who aren't Ocean fanboys are curious to hear it.

So, it's not as clear cut as you put it. And ultimately, maybe this number of people is small, it's hard to say. But, there's no particular plus or minus to either dub from Netflix's point of view, aside from demand. Netflix follow the demand. If we show there's demand for Ocean's dub, then just like with Wow, they'll give it a go. (Of course, Wow's channel never got off the ground, that's where that stalled, sadly)
Funi's and Ocean's dubs are ultimately both Dragon Ball, but Ocean's is having demand shown for it, and Netflix are kind of competing against Funi anyway, so... Long as we push for it, I see no reason for Netflix not to try for it.

So... If I may speak freely, I'd appreciate you stopping being a nitpicking naysayer. You're bringing up all kinds of nonsense reasons why this "probably won't happen", and all it's doing is taking space up in this thread where we're all reiterating the same vague understandings of the behind the scenes of this, and we don't get anywhere.
So I say, this is quite a simple situation, really:
Either you're interested in this dub airing, and you should support that Tweet (it's doing pretty well), or you don't care, and you should bugger off, frankly. Because coming in here and giving all kinds of nonsense reasons why it might not happen is conversationally useless, and ultimately just a little frustrating, when it's the same stuff we've been hearing for ten years, that's never been substantiated, that's almost entirely based on a massive misunderstanding of how all of this works, and it just takes us in circles without any constructive conversation resulting from it.

Apologies if that's harsh, I just find these kinds of circular, repetitious, naysaying sentiments annoying, and I wanted to nip it all in the bud so we don't have to do this dance again. We've had these discussions over and over again, and the best the naysayers who bring this up can do is "well i don't think it'll air because i still think funi is more popular and there's streaming rights or something", which is hard to argue with because there's no evidence to back it up, so clearly that belief isn't founded on any actual concrete founding, so it's hard to dissuade.
A somewhat self-indulgent thesis on my current outlook on Dragon Ball fandom, which I feel should be below every post I make from now on:

User avatar
sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6588
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:39 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by sangofe » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:09 am

Robo4900 wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:35 pm
sangofe wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:07 am
NitroEX wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:58 am

Petitions never work.

Plus it was already a thing.
What's a good way to advertise their interest, then? Other than kanzenshuu.com doing it - which I doubt they would -? Maybe if the big youtubers advertise it?
I agree with Nitro that petitions are a bad idea; best way to advertise interest is to spread it on Twitter and other social media. /r/dbz doesn't like things like this, but let's hope it gets to the front of Kanzenshuu, and let's try to just get people talking about it in as many places as possible.

Anyone who has a Twitter; retweet, like and reply with the hashtags. Anyone who doesn't have a Twitter -- now's the time to sign up. You don't have to use that account for anything else, just pledge your support and help this Tweet go viral.

Even if this Netflix thing doesn't pan out, this Tweet will be what we point any other networks to to show there's demand. And if Netflix decide to pick up Dragon Ball, this Tweet and its replies will be all we have to show that they have to go for the Ocean dub. Push this thing hard, people! :D
TheBlackPaladin wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:44 pm
Part of me wonders if Netflix is actually able do that, regardless of whether they want to or not. It would depend on the specifics of FUNimation's existing agreement with Toei regarding Kai's digital distribution rights in the UK and Ireland.
There is no agreement regarding its digital distribution in the UK and Ireland. Even if there was, it wouldn't be a case of "We are the only dub allowed to be distributed", it would be a case of "This streaming service has the exclusive right to stream Kai, and they have chosen to purchase these versions". But I'm pretty sure no where is streaming Kai at the moment. In fact, while I think some services like Amazon have some of the Dragon Ball series available for purchase, I don't think any streaming subscriptions have any Dragon Ball in the UK or Canada, aside from UK Netflix having the BOG and ResF movies.
I've never ever seen Kanzenshuu (or daizenshuu ex) advertise for anything. They put news, or updates about their site.

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 888
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:34 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Kakacarrottop » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:51 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:47 pm
Seriously, it's not like there is absolutely 0% chance Kai dubbed with the Ocean cast will ever release in any form whatsoever so making noise and spreading the word in those ways will at least get the message out in the event that someone does eventually take interest. I mean as of now it's not at the point of "No way, this is never going to see the light of day anywhere." so the possibility is still there that it'll be picked up some day so no point yet in throwing the towel in.
If the year is 2077, I'm 80 years old, and it's still never been released, then I'd be shocked. It exists, and there's clearly a strong demand for it, especially compared to other stuff Ocean has dubbed.

I know about a three decade old unsolved murder case that had never before seen surveillance footage released to the public last year. Just like with Ocean Kai, there were repeated calls on forums over the years for it be released online. Recently, someone just made a request to the police department working on the case and they gave them the footage, and those people uploaded it to their website. One day, someone might just randomly decide to release everything online to the web archive or vimeo when no one expects it.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

User avatar
SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 309
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:03 pm
Location: Kilmarnock, Scotland
Contact:

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by SX10 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:23 am

The license holder is happy to have discussions about it, Ken Morrison and Marni obviously had discussions. It is definitely not off the table. It never was.

I actually think Wow! will launch, they have some of the biggest names in Canadian animation, nay, animation in general, on the board etc. They know what they're doing guys. Tbh, now that I think back, they said when they were getting the license but never confirmed themselves when the thing would actually launch, right? They didn't commit to a date themselves did they!

If Netflix view Funi as a competitor the Ocean dub of Kai would be a wonderful grab!
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

User avatar
TVfan721
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 394
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:04 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by TVfan721 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:53 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:15 am
MasenkoHA wrote:Pretty sure they picked like a dozen cues and just threw darts.
As for Kai tracks being reused in other shows, I think that's entirely possible. At one point, the Z score used a track from the 1995 Ocean dub pitch for Magic Knight Rayearth, and a variety of other such odd intermixes of shows' scores can be observed in stuff Anitunes has scored, so... I would say it's entirely possible we've heard a track or two from Kai in other Anitunes-scored productions.
I know this is extremely late but I found out that the music used in that 1995 Ocean pitch for MKR was actually a Mega Man track first.

At 20:18 in this video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57JXaCsWY4c

So that unaired dub was going to take cues from that damn Mega Man show before DBZ Westwood did. I honestly wish Anitunes would release all these tracks, I'm still a fan of this music to this day.

User avatar
Planetnamek
Regular
Posts: 509
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:54 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Planetnamek » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:44 pm

Hope this dub sees the light of day eventually for the sake of the actors and for fans of the Ocean crew.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

User avatar
Arian
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 300
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:52 pm
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Arian » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:12 pm

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... ub/.156352

Not Dragon Ball related, but a big step in the right direction!
Was the hate for Kai largely unjustified?
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

The story of Kai's production is far more interesting than the actual product.
Danfun64 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm
Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

User avatar
sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6588
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:39 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by sangofe » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:21 am

Arian wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:12 pm
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... ub/.156352

Not Dragon Ball related, but a big step in the right direction!
Why?

Post Reply