Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MyVisionity
Banned

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by MyVisionity » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:01 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:07 pm
MyVisionity wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:00 pm Does the racism really count towards making a film terrible? Regardless, I thought it was a decent attempt at a Batman adaptation minus the production values. Burton and Schumacher could have learned a thing or two from them at least.
What exactly made them a decent attempt at a Batman adaptation but not the Burton/Schumacher films?
Burton/Schumacher had great production values but the characterization and setting was not particularly faithful to the books, especially compared to the 40s serials.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:49 am

Kamiccolo would have been a boss name.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:55 am

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:49 am Kamiccolo would have been a boss name.
Say what now?
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Novantico

Post by Novantico » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:27 pm

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:19 pm I wish Goku were a more sinister battle junkie (like HxH's Hisoka) instead of Peter Griffin, Kung Fu Master. What I find most fun about selfish, amoral (and I do mean amoral as opposed to immoral) characters is just how they warp what would otherwise be "good" ideals and play with how the world expects things/people to work.

Goku doesn't really twist anything. He's just a lousy dad (according to Toriyama. I think he's decent) with no idea how to function in society. I don't really find it endearing (I did when he was a kid but that might have been because I could relate to being thrown into a world that was a lot bigger than I expected) and I consistently find myself wishing he'd double down on his selfishness.
Imagining Goku like Hisoka makes me moist. Also I didn't know that Toriyama thought Goku was a bad father. Do you know when/where he said it? I'm genuinely surprised since I don't find it super difficult to justify his behavior/actions/circumstances in that regard.

As for his inability to function in society, you might not find it endearing, but what do you want? He doesn't get enough exposure. He knows how to not make a scene, be polite and all that, which I think is sufficient. As for whether it's endearing, I think it is, usually. I adore whenever there's some vaguely slice of life stuff happening.

Novantico

Post by Novantico » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:28 pm

Is it still an unpopular opinion to think Goku's actually a pretty good father? If it isn't, my b. If it is, fight me.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:16 pm

I think so too. I despise DBZ Abridged. They may not be the first to push that narrative, but they are certainly the most infuriating.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:16 pm

Yea, DBZ Abridged sucks imo. That thing was maybe funny for few first episodes.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:18 pm

God if I didnt like you before, I love you now!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:49 pm

Novantico wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:27 pm Imagining Goku like Hisoka makes me moist. Also I didn't know that Toriyama thought Goku was a bad father. Do you know when/where he said it? I'm genuinely surprised since I don't find it super difficult to justify his behavior/actions/circumstances in that regard.
I don't speak Japanese so I'm going off the summaries provided by Twitter user Cipher who goes by the same on this site. Toriyama doesn't think much of Goku's parenting skills which, to me at least, fits with his sense of humor. I still think Toriyama is misremembering his own character (I'll never be able to forget Goku, world champion and vanquisher of the Red Ribbon Army, begging Raditz to spare his child) but it is what it is. Writers often change their minds about things as a series develops. Unavoidable for a manga that ran as long as DB.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

Beiga

Post by Beiga » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:08 pm

I guess my unpopular opinion is that I think Toriyama's modern artstyle is way better than his old style. I'm not a fan of the Artificial Humans>Boo-saga designs where everyone is super sharp and musclebound.

His more cartoony art is just flat out more appealing to me.

Also, I can't staaaaand Goku's gi from the Artificial Humans->Boo arcs without the 悟 kanji. It looks incomplete to me. This is less of an unpopular opinion than a pet peeve, though I do think in general the fanbase loves the kanji-less look. At least if fanart is any indication.

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:53 pm

Bardock and Goku should have been voiced by Akira Kamiya in the Japanese version.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:56 pm

Beiga wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:08 pm I guess my unpopular opinion is that I think Toriyama's modern artstyle is way better than his old style. I'm not a fan of the Artificial Humans>Boo-saga designs where everyone is super sharp and musclebound.

Also, I can't staaaaand Goku's gi from the Artificial Humans->Boo arcs without the 悟 kanji. It looks incomplete to me. This is less of an unpopular opinion than a pet peeve, though I do think in general the fanbase loves the kanji-less look. At least if fanart is any indication.
I don't know if the majority prefers Goku with or without the kanji on his Gi. Personally, I don't care what he has, since it's rarely brought up or important in the material itself & just serves as a patches on a piece of his clothing. And, if you don't speak Japanese or do a bit of research, it means nothing to you. Eventually, Goku just sort of became his own teacher anyways, so I think it's ok if he doesn't have it.
GhostEmperorX wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:53 pm Bardock and Goku should have been voiced by Akira Kamiya in the Japanese version.
I just think Nozawa shouldn't voice anyone in DB but Goku because her voice can be kind of annoying & there's barely any differences in how she plays then unless you watch the show very closely or multiple times, or if you're fluent in Japanese.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:16 pm

You can easily tell the difference between her Goku and Gohan and Bardock. The energy from each is completely different.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:29 pm

Beiga wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:08 pm I guess my unpopular opinion is that I think Toriyama's modern artstyle is way better than his old style. I'm not a fan of the Artificial Humans>Boo-saga designs where everyone is super sharp and musclebound.

i think his art is still fine in the cell arc, yeah i don't like it as much as the early stuff but it's not like awful, but i really can't stand the boo arc artstyle. it's not really appealing at all, and most of the time it looks really poorly drawn, especially once ultimate gohan arrives, the art just takes a nose dive. post dragon ball toriyama art has its fair share of issues, but i do like it more then the boo arc stuff. most of his work for the dragon quest games still looks pretty good.

and yeah, no kanji on ANYBODY by the boo arc rolls around has always annoyed the crap out of me, but my main issue with cell arc goku and on is the belt, it's so wide and dumb looking lol.
ABED wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:16 pm You can easily tell the difference between her Goku and Gohan and Bardock. The energy from each is completely different.
this has been discussed to death but yeah, nozawa's performances tone and delivery wise are all pretty different.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:39 pm

Scsigs wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:56 pm I don't know if the majority prefers Goku with or without the kanji on his Gi. Personally, I don't care what he has, since it's rarely brought up or important in the material itself & just serves as a patches on a piece of his clothing. And, if you don't speak Japanese or do a bit of research, it means nothing to you. Eventually, Goku just sort of became his own teacher anyways, so I think it's ok if he doesn't have it.
I wouldn't care about the kanji except that it's one of the few pieces of symbolism in the series. In every other instance where DB wants us to know Goku has attained yet another supreme level of power it's by having the worthless gaggle of jobbers that make up the cast stand around and gawk at just how high his battle power is.

Beiga

Post by Beiga » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:00 am

Yeah, I like the kanji on the gi because I actually did look up the meaning of it. It's not only the first part of Goku's name, but it was given to him by Kaio-sama as a way of showing Goku has surpassed any master and is his own man now. It literally means "to understand," which I think is a cool nod to the fact that while socially inept, Goku is a martial arts savant. He really is a genius when it comes to technique and tactics despite any personal failings he has. With it gone, it also makes hi gi clash next to Kuririn and Yamcha too.

My theory is that the only reason Toriyama nixed it is that, being a specific kanji, and a fairly complicated one at that, he needed to always make sure that it was consistently drawn from every angle as well as taking any battle damage into account. Basically, like Goku's tail, Toriyama became too lazy to keep it around. :lol: I think the fact that starting the second he no longer had to draw the manga weekly, Toriyama reincorporated the kanji into all of his Goku drawings. Drawing it for one piece of promo art is no big deal. It's keeping it consistent that was a pain.

It's funny though, because in the same arc that he removed the kanji, he also introduced Cell's spots.

Also, in regards to Goku's different belt styles, that's one where I really don't mind how it's drawn, but I guess if I had to pick one, it'd be the one he wears from the Artificial Humans arc until DBS: Broly just because it's what I'm used to seeing. But I like the old style belt too!

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:09 pm

ABED wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:16 pm You can easily tell the difference between her Goku and Gohan and Bardock. The energy from each is completely different.
Well then for at least Bardock alone it would have been better if Kamiya voiced him (or got any other important role in the series). It would work out a lot since the only real similarity he has with Goku aside being his father is the appearance. Other than that he's just about completely different.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:41 pm

Is there any specific reason why Nozawa voices Goku's whole line (except for Raditz)? Like is there some kind of theme behind it? Sorry if this is a stupid question but it's just weird to me that one person is called on to voice every character in a single family.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:45 pm

Some unpopular opinions...

1. I prefer the human fighters to virtually every Saiyan. I find their technique repertoire and battles early on to be more entertaining than the transformation smorgasbord that's come to define DBZ and the franchise up until now.

2. Kaioken is my preferred power increase method. I enjoy it more than any of the Super Saiyan transformations.

3. Besides just Yamcha who is commonly asked about for making a return, I wish Chaozu could be given some meaningful development. The full team roster hasn't been present since the Saiyan arc.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:56 pm

Lionel wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:45 pm 3. Besides just Yamcha who is commonly asked about for making a return, I wish Chaozu could be given some meaningful development. The full team roster hasn't been present since the Saiyan arc.
I have no idea how everyone seems to struggle with giving Chiaotzu things to do. He's a psychic. The whole point of psychics is that they bypass physical strength. Have him blind enemies or see things that aren't there. Have him throw "force" punches that are totally invisible and undetectable. The fact that he's physically weak makes him even more useful from a writing perspective as all your villain needs to do is get in one or two solid hits to make him go down.

At least fanfic writers like Chiaotzu