Boycotting DB related company - did you do it?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Re: Boycotting DB related company - did you do it?

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:57 am

For me gag dubs works best with gag shows. I don't mind them modifying or adding to the script if it gets the point/joke across. However, I draw the line when they inject random American political references (Gamergate reference, patriarchal society demands and calling visual novel fans as misogynists and T***p supporters). I mean "why"? Not only these references are unnecessary, but they make no goddamn sense because these shows are based in Japan, not the American society where standards and political views are not the same.
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:22 am

I kinda did....I stopped purchasing, buying whatever TOEI sells in the market. DBZ dvd's, DBS Broly movie, toys (course duh, I'm not kid), specials, DBS releases etc...

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:36 pm

Still seems overkill. Come to think of it Shinobi-03, how much of Funimation's catalog besides DB are you able to see or get? Not sure if the heavy fanservice shows or niche titles like Yuri on Ice or Citrus would have a following outside certain markets.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:46 pm

Super Sonic wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:23 pm I don't watch the streaming stuff, so no clue on the dumbbells show. But making some things word for word would result in the Speed Racer factor. While that worked for Speed Racer, it doesn't with modern anime. This scene from Shimoneta is close enough to the sub but not word for word, but has the point across. Also they get orders to punch up from Japan at times as what happened with Panty and Stocking, which is great and was ordered to be more raunchy and vulgar. Also regarding gag dubs, heard some of the cast from Black Butler wish they were doing the dub of the live action movie as a gag dub as straight and in Japanese it apparently isn't very good. And speaking of Black Butler, as you see with the leads talking in character, they actually sound British instead of not sounding British.
That was the case for Samurai Pizza Cats, Tatsunoko Productions intentionally did not give the U.S. (or any other countries the show was dubbed in for the matter) any materials from the show to help translate the original episodes because they wanted every country that aired the show to do their own take on it and not just try to copy the original show.
SHINOBI-03 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:57 am For me gag dubs works best with gag shows. I don't mind them modifying or adding to the script if it gets the point/joke across. However, I draw the line when they inject random American political references (Gamergate reference, patriarchal society demands and calling visual novel fans as misogynists and T***p supporters). I mean "why"? Not only these references are unnecessary, but they make no goddamn sense because these shows are based in Japan, not the American society where standards and political views are not the same.
Everything is political anyways so I was totally fine with that, besides it's no different then what the dub of Ghost Stories did, it had several references to the Iraq war and I don't remember too many people complaining about that.

Unfortunately being an anime fan i've noticed a LOT of people on social media with anime avatars tend to be bigoted asshats, that's just a fact, so it's not like Funimation are wrong there. They make plenty of sense to me, not every single dub has to be 100% accurate, plus it's not like Japan never addresses politics either, they are certainly no fan of Trump's(I remember the controversy back when Japan's "Defense Only" forces got sent into Iraq during the war)hell the original version of the Kirby anime had several direct references to the Iraq war(I.E. DeDeDe pulls out Bush's infamous "Axis of Evil" line and calls Kirby a terrorist)so you're wrong when you say it makes no sense. The notion that only shows made in America can talk about Trump is nonsense.

Political views are definitely not totally different there, and gamergate isn't a U.S. only thing as people all over the world have been attacked by those brain-dead shitheads.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:56 pm

Super Sonic wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:36 pm Still seems overkill. Come to think of it Shinobi-03, how much of Funimation's catalog besides DB are you able to see or get? Not sure if the heavy fanservice shows or niche titles like Yuri on Ice or Citrus would have a following outside certain markets.
If we're talking "legally", none because they're not available in my region.
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

MuscleRobo
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MuscleRobo » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:39 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:36 pm
MuscleRobo wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:07 pmThere was a great anime recently where a character revealed they were computer person but they had it translated as robot. At the end of the show it was revealed to all be inside the internet but fans to this day still argue about what happened at the end and what the inside world of the show is like because they think it's an isekai or a dream not the actual internet which the show goes out of its way to state three times but is always mistranslated.
Just out of curiosity, what show was this?
SSSS.Gridman, this is like the awful manga entertainment translation of End of Evangelion that had people online believing humans were angels for years among other things.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:13 am

MuscleRobo wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:39 pm
MuscleRobo wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:07 pmThere was a great anime recently where a character revealed they were computer person but they had it translated as robot. At the end of the show it was revealed to all be inside the internet but fans to this day still argue about what happened at the end and what the inside world of the show is like because they think it's an isekai or a dream not the actual internet which the show goes out of its way to state three times but is always mistranslated.
SSSS.Gridman, this is like the awful manga entertainment translation of End of Evangelion that had people online believing humans were angels for years among other things.
1) SPOILERS! Some of us don't watch streams and might want to watch the blu-ray/dvd when it comes out.

2) I have a feeling some of the simulcasts might re-translate with the physical release in case of typos they may have had. Recall once seeing on youtube a scene from MHA where the dub called a few characters by their names in Japanese order, while the blu-ray had the dub do so in Western order. So something similar might happen with the translations. Though know folks won't be getting with SSSS Gridman the recasting with Matthew Lawrence some folks were wanting.

MuscleRobo
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MuscleRobo » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:10 am

Super Sonic wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:13 am
MuscleRobo wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:39 pm

1) SPOILERS! Some of us don't watch streams and might want to watch the blu-ray/dvd when it comes out.

2) I have a feeling some of the simulcasts might re-translate with the physical release in case of typos they may have had. Recall once seeing on youtube a scene from MHA where the dub called a few characters by their names in Japanese order, while the blu-ray had the dub do so in Western order. So something similar might happen with the translations. Though know folks won't be getting with SSSS Gridman the recasting with Matthew Lawrence some folks were wanting.
Gridman uses the same subs I can't speak for all their shows but after screw ups with Gridman, Evangelion, Code Geass, Outlaw Star, Speed Racer, Prison School, Escaflowne, Dragon Ball, Shin Godzilla and others do I really need to give them the benefit of the doubt and waste money on a gamble? Especially when some of these are so expensive? Their second release of Speed Racer was $300.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:25 pm

I take it you missed the early 2000s when Tenchi Universe and Gundam Wing had complete collections for $200. While I'm glad I got them for a lot less years later, had I had the money back then, would've gotten without regret or hesitation. And where are you looking at Speed Racer being so high as that goes for $30 or less? Or perhaps you'd prefer the Lionsgate release from years ago, that has 5 volumes for the entire series. Out of print, but can possibly still be found some places.

MuscleRobo
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MuscleRobo » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:30 pm

Super Sonic wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:25 pm I take it you missed the early 2000s when Tenchi Universe and Gundam Wing had complete collections for $200. While I'm glad I got them for a lot less years later, had I had the money back then, would've gotten without regret or hesitation. And where are you looking at Speed Racer being so high as that goes for $30 or less? Or perhaps you'd prefer the Lionsgate release from years ago, that has 5 volumes for the entire series. Out of print, but can possibly still be found some places.
Japanese Audio is only in the $300 set for Speed Racer, you only get the Peter Fernandez dub in the $30 release. Also it's an ugly bust of Speed with the discs inserted into the back of his head. Also the fact that complete collections expensive in the past is no reason to use as an excuse for now. I bought 64 gig USB drive for 11 bucks like a pack of gum checking out at a local tech store the other day when I spent a lot more on a lot less in the early 2000's, :lol:

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:18 pm

MuscleRobo wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:30 pm
Super Sonic wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:25 pm I take it you missed the early 2000s when Tenchi Universe and Gundam Wing had complete collections for $200. While I'm glad I got them for a lot less years later, had I had the money back then, would've gotten without regret or hesitation. And where are you looking at Speed Racer being so high as that goes for $30 or less? Or perhaps you'd prefer the Lionsgate release from years ago, that has 5 volumes for the entire series. Out of print, but can possibly still be found some places.
Japanese Audio is only in the $300 set for Speed Racer, you only get the Peter Fernandez dub in the $30 release. Also it's an ugly bust of Speed with the discs inserted into the back of his head. Also the fact that complete collections expensive in the past is no reason to use as an excuse for now. I bought 64 gig USB drive for 11 bucks like a pack of gum checking out at a local tech store the other day when I spent a lot more on a lot less in the early 2000's, :lol:
I don't get for the life of me why FUNi decided to limit the original Mach GoGoGo to just being on that overpriced Speed head CE set, and yes the English version had some small cuts made to the episodes back in the day aside from the opening sequence so they couldn't make a bilingual set but at least give the fans who want to have the show in full original Japanese form in HD next to the old Fernandez/Trans-Lux/Zavala-Riss produced dub a cheaper option rather than only giving the latter a cheap release.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:14 pm

You forget Speed Racer was much more popular in America than Mach a Go Go was in Japan. As well as being an older series, some of its fanbase aren't anime fans and thus aren't interested in seeing it in Japanese. Folks your dad's age might just want to watch what they saw as kids, and even most hardcore otaku who only watch things subbed say they have to watch in English. Same goes for stuff like the original Gigantor, Superbook and Flying House. (The latter two, really have no subtitled market and lot of folks who hate the DBZ dub would watch it before the latter two subbed).

NeverRamza
Not-So-Newbie

Post by NeverRamza » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:19 am

I do boycott Viz with only a few exceptions. This is the company that advertised a specific release of the Dragon Ball manga as uncensored and yet they still censored it. Early on they apologized in one instance, calling it an accident, and then on a later print only partially uncensored the volume. Later on they stopped replying to people asking why the uncensored release was censored and just kept putting it out while still falsely advertising it at the beginning of each volume. That is just shit company at that point.

Also, this is a company that is supposed to be "one of the good ones" and yet they couldn't put out an uncut dubbed release of Gash Bell, MAR, or Rave. They've dropped some series as well.

FUNimation has me groaning a lot. Interspecies Reviewers getting dropped was annoying although I get it, they're incompetent and probably didn't know what they bought (and/or Sony interference). Jamie Marchi went off for days on Twitter joking about purposely changing translations that I get has 7 layers of deep lore all about owning the trolls (and possibly tied into Vic Mignonia controversy?). However, I hate dumb script changes, FUNimation does not have a perfect track record in that area, and I find it weird that a company (or person closely tied to a company) would make jokes about shitting up their products for the sake of Twitter wars.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:24 am

NeverRamza wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:19 am I do boycott Viz with only a few exceptions. This is the company that advertised a specific release of the Dragon Ball manga as uncensored and yet they still censored it. Early on they apologized in one instance, calling it an accident, and then on a later print only partially uncensored the volume. Later on they stopped replying to people asking why the uncensored release was censored and just kept putting it out while still falsely advertising it at the beginning of each volume. That is just shit company at that point.

Also, this is a company that is supposed to be "one of the good ones" and yet they couldn't put out an uncut dubbed release of Gash Bell, MAR, or Rave. They've dropped some series as well.

FUNimation has me groaning a lot. Interspecies Reviewers getting dropped was annoying although I get it, they're incompetent and probably didn't know what they bought (and/or Sony interference). Jamie Marchi went off for days on Twitter joking about purposely changing translations that I get has 7 layers of deep lore all about owning the trolls (and possibly tied into Vic Mignonia controversy?). However, I hate dumb script changes, FUNimation does not have a perfect track record in that area, and I find it weird that a company (or person closely tied to a company) would make jokes about shitting up their products for the sake of Twitter wars.
Rave was Tokyopop, not Viz.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:52 am

coola wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:09 pm First of, sorry if this topic is rude, i don't wanna start any flame war, lets keep this discussion civil :)

Funimation cancelled Ishuzoku Reviewers, making it impossible to watch legally, what is more worrying, is they still hold rights to it, and might not release it on DVD/BD, my question is, have any company in your country, that hold rights to Dragon Ball (people working for it, or voice actors) did something, that made you boycott their releases, and import it from somewhere else? Personally, even before Funimation pulled that stunt with IR, voice actors that work for them, did some things i really don't like, and since then, i import games or anime from another country.
Boycotting is the probably the only way to get across to a major company and there's nothing wrong with it in my opinion. A lot of fans complain about the quality of the product online hoping it would change something. If the company willingly releases a low quality product, they likely don't give a shit what fans have to say as long as they're still making enough money. It's like people who go watch sequels in theaters and continue to complain about how bad they are after each release. If you feel the company is being unfair or making the wrong decisions, don't support them or at least support them less.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:39 am

Skar wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:52 am
coola wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:09 pm First of, sorry if this topic is rude, i don't wanna start any flame war, lets keep this discussion civil :)

Funimation cancelled Ishuzoku Reviewers, making it impossible to watch legally, what is more worrying, is they still hold rights to it, and might not release it on DVD/BD, my question is, have any company in your country, that hold rights to Dragon Ball (people working for it, or voice actors) did something, that made you boycott their releases, and import it from somewhere else? Personally, even before Funimation pulled that stunt with IR, voice actors that work for them, did some things i really don't like, and since then, i import games or anime from another country.
Boycotting is the probably the only way to get across to a major company and there's nothing wrong with it in my opinion. A lot of fans complain about the quality of the product online hoping it would change something. If the company willingly releases a low quality product, they likely don't give a shit what fans have to say as long as they're still making enough money. It's like people who go watch sequels in theaters and continue to complain about how bad they are after each release. If you feel the company is being unfair or making the wrong decisions, don't support them or at least support them less.
I don't think any business gives a damn what fans have to say because opinions vary wildly. The opinion that speaks loudest is willingness to buy. I don't think that's a bad thing, either. How is a business supposed to judge whether they are doing something well if someone complains, but continues to buy anyway?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:50 am

ABED wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:39 amI don't think any business gives a damn what fans have to say because opinions vary wildly. The opinion that speaks loudest is willingness to buy. I don't think that's a bad thing, either. How is a business supposed to judge whether they are doing something well if someone complains, but continues to buy anyway?
Indeed. There were a few sequels last year that didn't breakeven or performed lower than expected at the box office which likely sends a clearer message to the studio than a vocal minority complaining online but still pay to watch it in theaters. It's happens all the time in every other industry when a manufacturer, restuarant chain, etc discontinues a product because not enough people want to buy it. There's nothing wrong with applying the same principle to entertainment in my opinion. A handful of people boycotting won't make a difference but from what I've seen if there's a noticable drop in quality then fewer and fewer people will be willing to pay for it the longer it goes on.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:03 pm

Skar wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:52 am

As Jim Sterling pointed out a number of times, boycotts of products pretty much never work because so few people can actually commit to them and the company isn't going to care about a vocal minority of people when most will happily buy their products, complaining on social media is actually far more effective at getting companies to change to quote Lindsay Ellis.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:25 pm

I like Ellis a lot, but I don't agree with her on this. What evidence does she use to support her thesis? If a company is making a good return on investment, why would a few posts on social media persuade them to change course?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:30 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:03 pmAs Jim Sterling pointed out a number of times, boycotts of products pretty much never work because so few people can actually commit to them and the company isn't going to care about a vocal minority of people when most will happily buy their products, complaining on social media is actually far more effective at getting companies to change to quote Lindsay Ellis.
Could you name some examples? I don't use Twitter so I was just giving examples of what I've witnessed. Terminator: Dark Fate failed to breakeven and Rise of Skywalker performed lower than expected and the least from the sequel trilogy. These weren't organized boycotts and it just fewer people overall decided to watch these sequels in theaters compared to their previous installments.