Dragon Ball Rewatch, Week 2 - DB Episodes 6-10

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Sponge
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Rewatch, Week 2 - DB Episodes 6-10

Post by Dragon Sponge » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:12 pm

Sorry that my feedback for this long gone Week comes this late, i already made some progress for the German Dub differences on my draft in the penultimate weekend, but lost it because i made a mistake while it saved. It wasen´t much but it destroyed a lot of Motivation and i also was busy with several other things. But this week i will try to take my time and give my Feedback for these past Rewatch Weeks and today i was atleast able to recreate my German Dub difference section for Episode 6.

Episode 6 - The Midnight Visitors, aired on 2th of April 1986
Ger Title: A Night in the Desert, aired on 6th September 1999

This Episode is a nice little Break from the usual Journey and focuses mostly on how the "Heroes" spend the Night while Both the Manga and Filler Villains try to steal the DBs and fail miserable at it. Yamcha is used greatly here as a Gag Villain, he´s so competent that he almost could have gotten the DBs but it all fails because of Naked Bulma... The Filler Sideplot with Shu and Mai is also pretty Fun and is again very nicely interwoven with Manga Content, so that it feels very natural. Oolongs and Puar´s Transformations shenanigans are also fun Stuff especially how "faithfully" they replicate Goku and Bulma :) What Oolong want´s to do with Bulma in her sleep is not that great, but atleast he gets stopped before he can do anything and it is also a good reminder that this peverted Villain they forced against his will to follow them is not their friend yet and not very trustworthy.

Notewothy differences in the German Dub:

* Yamcha´s and Puar´s Dialogue during the Bulma Shower Scene was slightly altered here´s the comparison:

Ger Manga:

Yamcha: I hear her singing!

Puar: If the others are already sleeping, it will be easy to lure her away.

Yamcha: Let see...(sees Naked Bulma)

Puar: Yamchu?! Is everything okay)?!

Ger Dub:

Yamcha: Can you tell me why she is singing?

Puar: Check it out, maybe she´s counting her Money.

Yamcha: Good...(sees Bulma Naked)

Puar: How much is it! Tell me! Tell me! Tell me!

* Yamcha´s Motivation to get Married is changed here for some reason, instead he denies it before Puar that he´s even interested in Girls but says that it cannot be that the Sight of a Girl makes a weakling out of him. A pretty Pointless change since his old Motivation to get maried gets references anyway in the German Dub, just a few episodes later...

* The dialogue about what Oolong wants to do to sleeping Bulma has been censored, while he said in the Ger Manga that he now can do with her what ever he want´s, the Pig says in the Dub instead: "She thinks she can just throw me out of my Bed? She will be surprised when she wakes up on the Ground!"

* When Yamcha comes into Bulma´s Room he thinks Oolong is under the Bedcover and Guards the DBs even though he heard before the Pig would be on a walk.

* When Yamcha launches his Missile at the Van, Bulma thinks seriously, he wants to give her a present...

* While Puar is glad in the Manga that Bulma got knocked out, in the Dub this was changed to a pretty weird line where he says: "Just see, this young Girl became unconscious we must help her!" with which Yamcha replies: "Not now, later!"

Trivia:

This is one the episodes that got some aditional cuts during the RTL II Broadcast.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:54 pm

Dragon Sponge wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:12 pm

* The dialogue about what Oolong wants to do to sleeping Bulma has been censored, while he said in the Ger Manga that he now can do with her what ever he want´s, the Pig says in the Dub instead: "She thinks she can just throw me out of my Bed? She will be surprised when she wakes up on the Ground!"
Better than the english dub changing it to him wanting to steal the Dragon Ball that he apparently thinks Bulma has with her naked under the covers.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:48 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:54 pm

Better than the english dub changing it to him wanting to steal the Dragon Ball that he apparently thinks Bulma has with her naked under the covers.
In fairness, that change originated from the BLT dub, and it was accompanied by a (poorly made) visual edit which tried to make it look like Oolong really was going for the dragon balls.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:57 pm

Danfun64 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:48 pm

In fairness, that change originated from the BLT dub, and it was accompanied by a (poorly made) visual edit which tried to make it look like Oolong really was going for the dragon balls.
Also in fairness, they could have changed it be accurate for the 2001 uncut redub

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:59 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:57 pm

Also in fairness, they could have changed it be accurate for the 2001 uncut redub
I don't get it either, as the non TV edited version is uncut visually and you can clearly see what's happening there onscreen but it still has that same dialogue because FUNi more or less just recycled the same scripts from the 1995 dub.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:26 pm

Also in fairness, they could have junked the scripts wholesale and started from the beginning with an accurate translation... but that's expecting too much of Funi from this period. xD
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:32 pm

Danfun64 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:26 pm
Also in fairness, they could have junked the scripts wholesale and started from the beginning with an accurate translation... but that's expecting too much of Funi from this period. xD
Sadly FUNi's reversioning practice of massively re writing the scripts and punching up dialogue back then really put a serious damper on that during the entire period of dubbing the original three series run, and it took up until 2009/2010 with Kai before they got their act together and started putting more genuine effort into having the scripts be faithful to the source.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:28 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:32 pm

Sadly FUNi's reversioning practice of massively re writing the scripts and punching up dialogue back then really put a serious damper on that during the entire period of dubbing the original three series run, and it took up until 2009/2010 with Kai before they got their act together and started putting more genuine effort into having the scripts be faithful to the source.
And then they slowly rolled back on the "no punching up" aspect of that, eventually leading them to take all the same "let's put whatever jokes we feel like adding" attitude they used to have for their Super scripts.
And Kai 1.0's uncut dub had corrected attack names, but dropped them ~20-30 episodes in (which makes uncut viewing a REALLY weird, inconsistent experience).
And even Kai 1.0 retained some weird deviations from the Z dub...

... Kai was a big improvement over their previous work, but Funi still haven't got their act together properly, and they still aren't putting a genuine effort into having the scripts be faithful to the source, even if Kai started out really well.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:45 am

Robo4900 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:28 am

And then they slowly rolled back on the "no punching up" aspect of that, eventually leading them to take all the same "let's put whatever jokes we feel like adding" attitude they used to have for their Super scripts.
And Kai 1.0's uncut dub had corrected attack names, but dropped them ~20-30 episodes in (which makes uncut viewing a REALLY weird, inconsistent experience).

... Kai was a big improvement over their previous work, but Funi still haven't got their act together properly, and they still aren't putting a genuine effort into having the scripts be faithful to the source, even if Kai started out really well.
I don't know what the mentality behind that was, but even still it's not to nearly the same level that was in the Season 3 dub of the Freeza episodes where cringeworthy garbage like "Mondo Cool", "POP GOES THE WEASEL" or "KRILLIN'S IN DA HOUSE!!!!" was a constant thing being inserted into the scripts at every turn under Barry Watson's direction in the early years of in house.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:53 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:45 am
Robo4900 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:28 am

I don't know what the mentality behind that was, but even still it's not to nearly the same level that was in the Season 3 dub of the Freeza episodes where cringeworthy garbage like "Mondo Cool", "POP GOES THE WEASEL" or "KRILLIN'S IN DA HOUSE!!!!" was a constant thing being inserted into the scripts at every turn under Barry Watson's direction in the early years of in house.
Yes, of course it's not as bad as it was in season 3.
... But it's still pretty bad. There's several deviations per episode, rather than several per scene.
Better doesn't mean "good", it just means "less shit than it was".
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:14 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:28 am And Kai 1.0's uncut dub had corrected attack names, but dropped them ~20-30 episodes in (which makes uncut viewing a REALLY weird, inconsistent experience).
Speaking of, I do find it weird that Funimation used the correct attack names (at least starting out) for the uncut Kai dub but always used the traditional dub names for the edited Kai dub. Like what sense did that make? The kidswb/nicktoons target demographic wasn’t even alive/ in diapers when the old Z dub aired.

Same with them using the correct dialog for the “It’s over 8000.” for the uncut dub but pandering to the memes with the “It’s over 9000!!!!” for the edited dub.
They retained a lot honestly. Character names, the pronunciation of Saiyan (Say-in instead of Sigh-in), the complete lack of references to ki (even though the English localized video games use the word ki so even hardcore dubbies have some basic understanding of ki as it pertains to Dragon Ball?) no mention of Piccolo being a demon (so Piccolo talking about Gohan being part of his Mazoku was changed to just the same dialog they used for that scene since 1996 and no mention of how Raditz and Goku were able to go to otherworld despite being killed by Piccolo even though the original Dragon Ball dub acknowledged that aspect of those killed by Piccolo and his clan go to limbo)
I’d say Kai is what the remastered Z dub should have been (a sincere attempt to do better and be more faithful but meeting the audience that grew up with the old Toonami dub halfway) and Kai should have been a complete do-over; Open auditions, correct character names and attacks, 98-100 percent accurate scripts.

Dragon Sponge
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragon Sponge » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:38 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:14 pm
Robo4900 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:28 am And Kai 1.0's uncut dub had corrected attack names, but dropped them ~20-30 episodes in (which makes uncut viewing a REALLY weird, inconsistent experience).
Speaking of, I do find it weird that Funimation used the correct attack names (at least starting out) for the uncut Kai dub but always used the traditional dub names for the edited Kai dub. Like what sense did that make? The kidswb/nicktoons target demographic wasn’t even alive/ in diapers when the old Z dub aired.

Same with them using the correct dialog for the “It’s over 8000.” for the uncut dub but pandering to the memes with the “It’s over 9000!!!!” for the edited dub.
They retained a lot honestly. Character names, the pronunciation of Saiyan (Say-in instead of Sigh-in), the complete lack of references to ki (even though the English localized video games use the word ki so even hardcore dubbies have some basic understanding of ki as it pertains to Dragon Ball?) no mention of Piccolo being a demon (so Piccolo talking about Gohan being part of his Mazoku was changed to just the same dialog they used for that scene since 1996 and no mention of how Raditz and Goku were able to go to otherworld despite being killed by Piccolo even though the original Dragon Ball dub acknowledged that aspect of those killed by Piccolo and his clan go to limbo)
I’d say Kai is what the remastered Z dub should have been (a sincere attempt to do better and be more faithful but meeting the audience that grew up with the old Toonami dub halfway) and Kai should have been a complete do-over; Open auditions, correct character names and attacks, 98-100 percent accurate scripts.
Funi really seems to be the Master of stupid or unessesary Dub changes, and it´s really a shame that they didn´t even fixed the Scene with the earthern God speaking about the Limbo Stuff with Popo, is there even any english Dub Version that did this Scene right. I only could think of maybe the Fillipino English Dub and maybe also the Ocean Kai Dub where that could be the case.

Anyway here comes my Feedback to Episode 7:

Episode 7 - Gyūmaō of Mount Frypan, aired on 9th of April 1986
Ger Title: The Frying Pan Mountain, aired on 7th September 1999

A nice introduction for both Chichi and Gyūmaō, and it´s also a nice twist that this dangerous bould up "Baddy" is actually a good Buddy of Goku´s Grampa and befriends him as well. His old Warrior design is also a very big contrasst from the nice Grandfather outfit he´s mostly known today. And also Chichi here as the scared little Warrior Princess is a very fresh difference from her nagging Adult
self. Her Bladed laser-Helmet is also a pretty Awesome Weapon that sadly never got much usage at all. And this here is also the start of her and Gokus very funny and special Relationship,which will gets its Pay off, over a 100+ Episodes later :) And i like the small added Filler Fight with Gyumao and that Goku´s Attacks don´t have any effect on Gyumao which is a nice showcase that there are still very strong enemies out there on earth and that Goku isen´t automatically the best just cause he´s a freaking Saiyan. But what i don´t like that much in this episode are some really cheap animated Mouthflaps at times.

* The Backstory of Mount Frying Pan, Oolong tells the Gang is mostly the same but the cause of the Fire is a bit different. In the Manga he says it was a Fire Fairy who fell from the Sky, while it was a Salamander who fell from the Sky in the Dub. Also he dosent´ mention the former name of the Mountain which is Fresh Mountain in the Ger Manga.

* While Yamcha does think in the Manga that Goku might have a Chance against Gyumao, since he´s Gohans Grandson and even mentions the fact that both Gohan and Gyumao were Students of Muten Roshi, in the Dub instead he actually wants to see how Gyumao beats up Goku, so that the Monkey Boy will be Exhausted afterwards, so that Yamcha can then take revenge on him for his punched out tooth.

* When it comes to Puars question to Yamcha about not having Problems with Chichi, he answers in the Manga, "No she is still a Child". In the Dub Puar dosen´t even ask why Yamcha isen´t shy around Chichi, instead he says: "Phew what was that for a Girl? She seems to attack everyone who comes by!" with Yamcha replying "Forget it she´s disabled for now."

* The Dialogue where Yamcha confesses his "Love" for Chichi was a bit altered in the Dub here´s comparison:

Ger Manga

Yamcha: It dosen´t matter i came back in order to apologize for ealier. Especially because i fell in Love with you, i feel twice as sorry!

Chichi: What?! You are in love with me?!

Yamcha: Ehhh... yeah...

Chichi: And your not lying?

Yamcha: No i´m serious! Can this Face lie?

Chichi: Oh! Your missing a tooth! That looks droll!

Puar: Stay calm, Yamchu!

Yamcha: (sees Goku) Oh! The little one is coming!

Chichi: Never has someone been in Love with me...but i have read about it how it is... one meets at rendevous...and are holding hands. Oh dear! Oh dear! I'm going to blush!

Ger Dub

Yamcha: That isen´t so important now, i want to apologize that i hit you, i´m really sorry i didn´t wanted it, it just happend.

Chichi: Huh?

Yamcha: I hope you forgive me, otherwise i would be very sad. You must know you are someone who means very much to me, very very much!

Chichi: Are you saying you want to be my (Boy) Friend?!

Yamcha: Well um....

Chichi: I don´t have a (Boy) Friend, you have to prove me first that you mean it honestly.

Yamcha: Is that still necessary? I am the honest in person!

Chichi: Oh Lord! You have a tooth Gap! That really looks grotto Ugly!

Puar: Oh please don't get upset, she has no idea, you are the beautiest man in the World!

Chichi: I´m sorry, but i imagined the man of my dreams differently.

Yamcha: (sees Goku) Oh No! There comes this little fool again!

Chichi: Although it would be wonderfull to have a (Boy) Friend, all my (Female) Friends would become pale with envy. Oh Lord! Now I've completely forgotten that i don´t even have (Female) Friends. Oh life is complicated!

Its really a shame that any refference of Chichi reading Magazins has been removed in the Dub, also in the Flashback of Yamcha confessing his "Love" Later on at the 23rd Budokai, the Manga Dialogue is used instead.

* During the Patt Patt Scene Goku´s "I thought so, your a Girl!" Line was again changed, this time to "I will now get a bit higher! I hope your not afraid of heights!" with Chichi replying "Hey! You kicked me!" while she pushes him of the Cloud. This scene had also it´s Manga dialogue back later in it´s flashback scene.

Trivia:

* This was the Last Episode from the Pre Z Era that got aditional Cuts in the RTL II Broadcast, the others were 1,4,5, & 6.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:39 pm

Dragon Sponge wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:38 pm Funi really seems to be the Master of stupid or unessesary Dub changes, and it´s really a shame that they didn´t even fixed the Scene with the earthern God speaking about the Limbo Stuff with Popo, is there even any english Dub Version that did this Scene right. I only could think of maybe the Fillipino English Dub and maybe also the Ocean Kai Dub where that could be the case.
You're talking about the scene in ep 7 of Z where Kami is talking with Mr Popo, right?

The Saban dub completely cut the scene. The dialogue in that scene Funi Kai is actually lifted from the Ultimate Uncut Z dub script and tweaked. And of course, in the Speedy dub, Kami ate his microphone and is almost completely unintelligible in that scene.

Yes, I'd love to see the Fillipino Z and Ocean Kai dubs as well. I'd love to see pretty much all the dubs which don't have good presentation. The five episodes done for Harmony Gold, the entirety of the Fillipino DB and DBZ series dubs, that dub of DB Movie 1 which was apparently shown in flights, the Animax dub of DB...
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Dragon Sponge
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragon Sponge » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:54 pm

Danfun64 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:39 pm
Dragon Sponge wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:38 pm Funi really seems to be the Master of stupid or unessesary Dub changes, and it´s really a shame that they didn´t even fixed the Scene with the earthern God speaking about the Limbo Stuff with Popo, is there even any english Dub Version that did this Scene right. I only could think of maybe the Fillipino English Dub and maybe also the Ocean Kai Dub where that could be the case.
You're talking about the scene in ep 7 of Z where Kami is talking with Mr Popo, right?

The Saban dub completely cut the scene. The dialogue in that scene Funi Kai is actually lifted from the Ultimate Uncut Z dub script and tweaked. And of course, in the Speedy dub, Kami ate his microphone and is almost completely unintelligible in that scene.

Yes, I'd love to see the Fillipino Z and Ocean Kai dubs as well. I'd love to see pretty much all the dubs which don't have good presentation. The five episodes done for Harmony Gold, the entirety of the Fillipino DB and DBZ series dubs, that dub of DB Movie 1 which was apparently shown in flights, the Animax dub of DB...
Yes i did mean that scene.

The way the speedy Dub did this insen´t really surprising, they coulden´t get this scene right even with acurrate dialogue. I really hope someday the English Fillipino Dub for the TV Series gets found, since i´m really curius how this scene was executed there. And the other Dubs would be interresting too :)

Episode 8 - Kame-Sen’nin’s Kamehameha, aired on 16th of April 1986
Ger Title: The Rendezvous, aired on 8th September 1999

A very Great introduction for the iconic Kamehame and Ki Attacks in general which are very special Stuff at this point in the Series that not everyone can do yet. And the whole Scene where Roshi destroys the Castle is just awesome, nicely animated and a good showcase of what the sleezy old man is really capable of. Also the fruits for Goku´s Training with Roshi and his eventual Wedding with Chichi are nicely planted here, also we get the first hint that the Turtle Hermit knows a bit more about Goku´s Past which will be revealed in full 147 Episodes later :)

* While in the japanese Source material Roshi says that he received the Kinto Un from God, in the Ger Manga
it was translated to Gods in the plural form and in the Ger Dub he dosen´t even mention from where he got it, just
that it was a Bargain and that he allways cherished and cared for it.

* Baby Gamera is called "Flugschildkröte" (Fyling Turtle) in both the Manga and Dub

* There is no mention about Gyumao killing people in the Dub, instead Roshi speakes about that it´s said that he hurt people in order to defend his Treasure.

* While in the Ger Manga the Kamehameha is correctly called by it´s name, in the Dub it gets intruduced as the "Schockwelle der alten Ahnen" (Shockwave of the Ancients) and will be called like that until the late Pirate Cave where the switch to the Manga Dialogue for Canon Scenes happens. One difference to the French Dub however is that "Kohei Miyauchi"´s original Kamehameha Yell is not used in the German Dub, instead Roshis´s German Actor "Heinz Ostermann" here just makes some grunts while doing the Kamehameha.

For comparison here´s the scene in both French and German:

Scene in French: ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHj_PRyuKP4 )

Scene in German: ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqzPku06tXU )

* In the Dub Roshi wants to have a rendevous with Bulma instead of touching her Breasts, she still sends Oolong in her place but the Scene where do they do Paff Paff is obviously Cut.

* Chichi dosent´s ask Goku if he will marry her, but instead if he will be her Friend, but later at the 23rd Tenkaichi, this Scene will then be acuratly translated, just like the other Chichi Flashbacks.

* After Goku destroyed the Car, Gyumao mentions Grampa Gohans name as just Gohan in both the Dub and Manga which is very unusual for the old German Translations of Dragon Ball. Even more so in the German Dub where it otherwise almost never happend that a male member of the Son Family was ever called without their full name except for Goten at one point, while the Manga has some rare instances where atleast Goku was called as just Goku. Also the way Roshi replies to this is different in both mediums, in the Manga he replies with "What?! Gohan?! You mean Son-Gohan?!" while in the Dub he replies with "What? Son-Goku is the Grandson of Son-Gohan?

* While in Epsiode 2 Goku didn´t mention that Granmpa Gohan found him, Roshis saying that Grampa Gohan told him that he found Goku is completly intact in the Dub, its also worded slighty different in both Manga and Dub, in the Manga Roshi says "A few years ago, Son-Gohan told me, he had added a Child, which he´s raising.", while in the Dub he says "My Student once told me about a abandoned baby and that he decided to raise it."