Kuririn's move?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Thu Jun 24, 2004 6:34 pm

That was my understading too. I knew that characters said "ha!", but I always though that it was when they were originally saying "ha!".

Any idea when they might have omitted this mysterious Masenko?
Romana: "I don't think we should interfere."
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."
[i]-Doctor Who: Nightmare Of Eden[/i]

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Thu Jun 24, 2004 6:58 pm

I do know it's omitted several times during the beginning of the series, at least in the dub. I know he fired one at Nappa that they either just went "Yaaaa!" with or called it a Kamehameha.... I think the dub only used Masenko once, sometime on Namek. You'd think by the time of the Super Buu battles they'd have it right, and yet Masenko there is replaced with Galick Gun, probably cause they figured very few people (in the 'target' audience' at least) would know what Masenko was but would instantly know the Galick Gun...
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Thu Jun 24, 2004 7:03 pm

But we're not talking about the dub, we're talking about the graphic novels.

For the anime, I don't think Masenk was used once during the Saban days. The moment FUNi got control though, they had Gohan saying Masenko almost contantly, even when Japanese-Gohan wasn't saying it.

As to the Super Buu battles, that makes no sense. My nephews know what Masenko is, they know that Gohan does it, and they know the hand positions he makes. They only know "Gallick Gun" because they've played Budokai. And then they pronounce it "Gallick-a-ho", because they're listening to the Japanese version.
Romana: "I don't think we should interfere."
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."
[i]-Doctor Who: Nightmare Of Eden[/i]

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Thu Jun 24, 2004 8:39 pm

Mizugi wrote:What's generic about "Burning Attack" and "Finish Buster," I ask you?

>_>
When did Trunks ever call it the Burning Attack, though? He just called out Freeza's name. And what's a "Finish Buster"?
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Thu Jun 24, 2004 8:54 pm

Burning Attack and Finish Buster are names given in the games, even the English version. In Budoukai, he calls out "BURNING ATTACK!" when he uses it. Budoukai 2 has two versions of it - Burning Attack and Burning Slash. Burning Attack is when he fires the ki blast, Burning Slash is when he uses the attack, and, when the enemy dodges, he slices them with his sword.

EDIT: I THINK I got Burning Slash's name right, but I'm tired and probably getting mixed up with the G Gundam dub.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Thu Jun 24, 2004 8:57 pm

B-kun wrote:Burning Attack and Finish Buster are names given in the games, even the English version. In Budoukai, he calls out "BURNING ATTACK!" when he uses it. Budoukai 2 has two versions of it - Burning Attack and Burning Slash. Burning Attack is when he fires the ki blast, Burning Slash is when he uses the attack, and, when the enemy dodges, he slices them with his sword.
That doesn't mean their names were edited out of the manga, though. It just means they were used in the games. O_o
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:27 pm

I read on Mr. Werner's site that those attacks weren't given names in the original show or manga. The same thing with Frieza's Death Ball.

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:15 am

Burning Attack does sound pretty generic, IMO, but Finish Buster just reminds me of Megaman.

I wasn't really thinking of those, though. What I had in mind was, for instance, the attack in question for this thread, Kakusan Kikouha. Kikouha is a general term the series uses for ki blasts, so throw in Kakusan, and it's just a "scattering ki blast". There's plenty of others like that that just seem boring in comparison to stuff like Kienzan and Makankousappou.

SpaceKappa
Regular

Post by SpaceKappa » Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:43 am

Burning Attack and Finish Buster were given names in Super Butoden 2.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:37 pm

Mizugi wrote:Burning Attack and Finish Buster were given names in Super Butoden 2.
I thought it was in the daizenshuu for Burning Attack. I'll check it out later.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:17 pm

Although its name is never said in the anime or manga, I must admit that I like how Trunks says, "Burning Attack!" in Budokai 1.

SpaceKappa
Regular

Post by SpaceKappa » Sat Jun 26, 2004 12:50 am

Were the Daizenshuu released before the first couple of Super Butoden games? I don't have the one that lists the attack names so I can't check.