The DBZ Live Action Movie is back!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Nyogo
Not-So-Newbie

The DBZ Live Action Movie is back!

Post by Nyogo » Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:29 am

Ben Ramsey is going to adapt DragonballZ for Fox!

I don't know about you guys, but I've always wanted to seem them try to make a DBZ movie.

Source: http://www.variety.com

I found it at http://www.comingsoon.net though.

tablet the eunuch
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by tablet the eunuch » Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:20 am

And the Rumours will begin anew.

SpaceKappa
Regular

Post by SpaceKappa » Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:28 am

Maybe if we just ignore it it'll go away.

oponok
Beyond Newbie

Post by oponok » Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:41 pm

I already hate this movie.

BAD MOVIE! STAY DEAD!

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:51 pm

Didn't April Fool's already come and go? :?
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:59 pm

To save time:
Screenwriter Ben Ramsey ("The Big Hit") has signed to adapt Dragonball Z for the big screen for 20th Century Fox, reports Variety. Dragonball Z was adapted from the "Dragonball" manga created by Akira Toriyama and later developed into a Japanese anime series.

"Dragonball Z" follows the adventures of an adult humanoid alien who's just discovered that he was sent to Earth to blend in and destroy our population but instead elects to protect it from an oncoming alien onslaught.

Ramsey recently wrote the adaptation of Marvel's Luke Cage at Sony's Columbia Pictures, as well as Static for Columbia-based producer Neal Moritz.
I don't buy it.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:18 pm

Neither do I. :|
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Caracal
Regular

Post by Caracal » Fri Jun 25, 2004 5:06 pm

DBZ is not the kind of licence that will become a great live action movie, so I shudder at any thoughts of a live action movie.

But here's a pic of Piccolo I once found.

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:05 pm

Hey, that's pretty cool!

Actually, I don't think he's green enough in that picture... I'm sure it's just the lighting, but whatever.

Caracal
Regular

Post by Caracal » Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:34 pm

I think it's the lighting, but I was kinda freaked out when I first saw it.

TGDweezl
Beyond Newbie

Post by TGDweezl » Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:46 pm

Looks like Leonard Nimoy. Hmmm...a green Spock, I don't like it.

Do the Gods hate us? Leave DB/Z/GT ANIMATED! Nothing more is needed, do not torture the pure fans and destroy the dubbie fan-base. Make the hurting stop!
"It's all fun and games til someone spills the mayonnaise." -Edd from Ed, Edd, and Eddy

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:03 pm

TGDweezl wrote:Hmmm...a green Spock, I don't like it.
Christ, yeah. A green Spock. Imagine. It's as crazy as a Spock with pointed ears.
Romana: "I don't think we should interfere."
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."
[i]-Doctor Who: Nightmare Of Eden[/i]

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:08 pm

No, this is perfect, you're all looking at it the wrong way.

DBZ is hated in the anime community because of its so called "dubbie" fan base. A really terrible live-action movie will officially make DBZ uncool.

Then once DBZ is uncool, people will start loving it again simply because everyone hates it. 8)

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:34 pm

Gee, any chance this plan will backfire? :P

TGDweezl
Beyond Newbie

Post by TGDweezl » Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:17 pm

Hey, the Piccolo pic looks like a green Spock that's all I'm saying and that it looks kinda wrong. It's at least better than hearing Morgan Freeman was playing Kami.

Uhh...I started liking/watching DBZ about the time people were hating it anyways. Far as I know more people hate it than like it. But that's prolly just the area I live in....it's called Backwaterhicktown, USA.
"It's all fun and games til someone spills the mayonnaise." -Edd from Ed, Edd, and Eddy

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Sat Jun 26, 2004 3:02 am

I'm for a Live Action movie. I'd prefer another animated one, or a Cel-shaded one, but Live Action could still be good. I mean, why not? We've manged to convert comics into good movies (X-men/2, Spider-man [and probably 2 as well.]) Granted, there have been bad ones... but I like to try and look on the positive side of things.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

TGDweezl
Beyond Newbie

Post by TGDweezl » Sat Jun 26, 2004 6:34 am

I think comics are easier to convert to live-action than anime. Although I have heard several rumors that Peter Jackson (LOTR movies) is going to be directing the live-action of Neon Genesis Evangelion. I don't know if this is entirely true or not but it might be cool. Call me a hypocrite but I think a DBZ movie would cost a ton and bust cuz it won't appeal to the masses unless they make it that way.

tablet the eunuch
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by tablet the eunuch » Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:43 am

TGDweezl wrote:I think comics are easier to convert to live-action than anime. Although I have heard several rumors that Peter Jackson (LOTR movies) is going to be directing the live-action of Neon Genesis Evangelion. I don't know if this is entirely true or not but it might be cool. Call me a hypocrite but I think a DBZ movie would cost a ton and bust cuz it won't appeal to the masses unless they make it that way.
WETA was doing some work on it (live-action eva movie), but that was in the way of concept sketches and ideas and such. No staff/studio has been announced for it, plis, Jackson is too busy making a new King Kong film, so, yeah.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sat Jun 26, 2004 8:17 am

TGD: Spock was green-skinned. I was being flippant/sarcastic.

And to continue my anal nit-picking...
Xyex wrote:I'd prefer another animated one, or a Cel-shaded one...
I don't think you quite get what "cel-shading" means, do you?
Romana: "I don't think we should interfere."
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."
[i]-Doctor Who: Nightmare Of Eden[/i]

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sat Jun 26, 2004 12:54 pm

TGDweezl wrote:Call me a hypocrite but I think a DBZ movie would cost a ton and bust cuz it won't appeal to the masses unless they make it that way.
Agreed. The reason why everybody expects the movie to flop no matter how well it's made is because, in order for it to do well, the movie MUST change many aspects of the story in order to make it fit as a complete piece in two-three hours.

How the hell are they supposed to explain that everybody has super powers? For Goku it works: he finds out he's an alien. Most likely, they'll rob everybody of their ki generating abilities and it'll be another Bloodsport movie. Goku will save the day not by learning the Genkidama and Kaioken from Kaio, but probably JUST the Kamehameha. I don't see industrial light and magic doing this, I smell MK: Annihilation at best because of all the constraints.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.