The Disappearance of Dragon Ball Super : What Went Wrong in 2019? Full Story +DB in 2020 and Beyond!

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Skar
I Live Here

Re: The Disappearance of Dragon Ball Super : What Went Wrong in 2019? Full Story +DB in 2020 and Beyond!

Post by Skar » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:15 am

Ajay wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:31 pmThe last word I have heard on anything DB-related was from a DBS writer who said:

"When we started Dragon Ball Super, Toei Animation thought it could be made easily. Because they have made it before and have succeeded. But that was a mistake. They did not make enough preparations, which caused trouble many times. And they negatively affected the overall quality. As you know, the quality of Dragon Ball Super was low. Three story arcs were needed to rebuild it. Toei Animation has learned a lesson. Dragonball is not an easy title, so it cannot be made without enough preparation. They need to have enough time to make it again. Please think positively that this year is absolutely necessary for preparation."

So yeah, wouldn't expect anything for a long while. Nobody available, on slots available. F in the chat, boys.
Thanks for the update. Honestly I think this is great news that Toei is acknowledging DBS could've been better and they're not rushing to have a sequel. I'm still hoping it continues as movies only but it sounds like he's referring to an anime. Is Toei currently working on any other anime that might take Digimon's timeslot when it ends? It was said on here that Dragon Quest was going to air on a different network but I don't know about World Trigger or other anime they may have announced.

Matches Malone
Banned

Re: The Disappearance of Dragon Ball Super : What Went Wrong in 2019? Full Story +DB in 2020 and Beyond!

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:35 pm

Skar wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:15 amIs Toei currently working on any other anime that might take Digimon's timeslot when it ends?
Keep in mind that Digimon could get extended for an additional season.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:36 pm

GeGeGe no Kitarou showed that Toei Animation could make a strong weekly series, especially one reliant on varying episodic episodes. I really want to see GeGeGe no Kitarou used as an example for the production structure of the next series so as to maintain the quality of the animation and writing.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:03 am

Skar wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:15 am
Ajay wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:31 pmThe last word I have heard on anything DB-related was from a DBS writer who said:

"When we started Dragon Ball Super, Toei Animation thought it could be made easily. Because they have made it before and have succeeded. But that was a mistake. They did not make enough preparations, which caused trouble many times. And they negatively affected the overall quality. As you know, the quality of Dragon Ball Super was low. Three story arcs were needed to rebuild it. Toei Animation has learned a lesson. Dragonball is not an easy title, so it cannot be made without enough preparation. They need to have enough time to make it again. Please think positively that this year is absolutely necessary for preparation."

So yeah, wouldn't expect anything for a long while. Nobody available, on slots available. F in the chat, boys.
Thanks for the update. Honestly I think this is great news that Toei is acknowledging DBS could've been better and they're not rushing to have a sequel. I'm still hoping it continues as movies only but it sounds like he's referring to an anime. Is Toei currently working on any other anime that might take Digimon's timeslot when it ends? It was said on here that Dragon Quest was going to air on a different network but I don't know about World Trigger or other anime they may have announced.
Well, my main problem with this is that the damage was done. The idea of rewatching Super really pains me when you have the two films and manga as alternatives, the movies a lot better visually and with writing and Champa Tournament is also better in manga in my opinion, as the anime setting looks so cheap... As I was happy for DB returning on weekly basis with new stuff and Ressurection F finally did add more, I would rather have nothing at this point.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:28 am

MCDaveG wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:03 amWell, my main problem with this is that the damage was done. The idea of rewatching Super really pains me when you have the two films and manga as alternatives, the movies a lot better visually and with writing and Champa Tournament is also better in manga in my opinion, as the anime setting looks so cheap... As I was happy for DB returning on weekly basis with new stuff and Ressurection F finally did add more, I would rather have nothing at this point.
I agree the damage has been done but they unfortunately can't change the past and only learn from it so it doesn't happen again. I don't think I could rewatch DBS in it's entirety again. I'm personally hoping for a finale movie that ties up loose ends and transitions to the End of Z. If they wanted to continue the anime a while longer before that then I guess the next best thing is giving it more time with hopefully fewer writers and more coordination between them.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:23 am

Nanatsu88 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:40 am Well, it seems that there are interesting news about a possible return of the series in 2021, totally independent of the production of Dragon Quest Dai.

Taking into account that Digimon has a duration of 50-55 episodes per series, this new series will end at the latest in June 2021.

Remember that Dragon Quest Dai is released this year so it will NOT occupy the Digimon slot and will be broadcast on another channel.

Therefore, if Digimon ends at the latest in June and most of the staff are Dragon Ball people, there are chances that the series will return for July 2021 while maintaining the Digimon staff. :think:
Nice assumption. I had totally forgotten that there’s no way Dragon Quest will be on Fuji TV’s time slot due to it starting in Fall and Digimon most likely going on for one year. I was still under the impression that DQ was going to begin after Digimon.

The fact Digimon is basically sharing the same staff as Super could be an hint that most of them will be moved to Super (much like what happened in the past when Super was mostly comprised of Avengers Disk Wars staff), although I expect a different series director than Mitsuka: I would guess Nakamura, but someone new like Ishitani (who directed 131) would be my preference. It would surely be great to have two young and awesome talents such as Shintani and Ishitani leading Super.

You forgot one thing, though: if Digimon is going to have around 52 episodes (4 cours) - and from the episodic nature of it and its pacing so far it may very well last just 1 year as its standard for Digimon shows - then it would end in March 2021.
Of course we now have to consider the effects of Coronavirus, as Digimon too is going off the air for a while so they may decide to either extend it a bit until June 2021 or to do less episodes (most likely scenario, in my opinion).

Therefore they may decide to bring Super back in April 2021.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:33 am

If you guys haven't seen it. The same person behind the video in the OP last year did a history / retrospective of all the DBZ home media over the years. --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jWfw-rrZrE

It had to be re uploaded recently, I think for copyright nonsense, the original upload got 200k+ views.
First time Dragon Ball fan as of March 2020. Still learning the ropes. Nothing much else to say,

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:57 pm

ArmenianPepsi wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:33 am If you guys haven't seen it. The same person behind the video in the OP last year did a history / retrospective of all the DBZ home media over the years. --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jWfw-rrZrE

It had to be re uploaded recently, I think for copyright nonsense, the original upload got 200k+ views.
Aw it had to be re-uploaded? that's a bummer. I hope he does a separate video for the complete joke that was the 30th Anniversary release, something that half-assed and manipulative deserves it's own essay.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku