"Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

The Undying
Banned Alternate Account

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by The Undying » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:03 pm

Would have preferred the DLC to have been post-BoG instead of some alternate take, but whatever, it's fine for what it is.

Seeing Vegeta do the ritual is funny as hell and I'm not really sure why.
Last edited by The Undying on Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly Marlowe89.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:20 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:59 pm How Vegeta attains Super Saiyan God in this game completely contradicts was what stated in the Super anime and heavily implied in the Super manga.
Who cares, it’s a game and they’ve stated it’s not retelling the movies story.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:43 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:20 pm
Lord Beerus wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:59 pm How Vegeta attains Super Saiyan God in this game completely contradicts was what stated in the Super anime and heavily implied in the Super manga.
Who cares, it’s a game and they’ve stated it’s not retelling the movies story.
Hell, the story practically has Whis wink at the camera and tell Goku and Vegeta this is a different continuity.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:10 am

Although it may not matter that they take away from videl the only relevant moment he had after years

changing something that was fine with the development of vegeta is really horrible :thumbdown:

https://twitter.com/DbsHype/status/1254766752921083906

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:42 am

Is the update for the DLC not up on Xbox yet?
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

MeMeDZEHH
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MeMeDZEHH » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:58 am

Tai Lung wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:10 am Although it may not matter that they take away from videl the only relevant moment he had after years

changing something that was fine with the development of vegeta is really horrible :thumbdown:

I mean it's a game, who cares. If they want to do something different, i don't know where is the problem.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:47 am

It's sounding more and more like people were taking this game's "canon" status WAY too seriously. Again, if you look at the evidence in the game itself, it's already pretty clear that the game is likely meant to be taken as a separate timeline, with every answer as to 'how' and 'why' being right there in the post-game secret boss battle. That doesn't necessarily mean you can't head-canon or assume that some of the other neat stuff in the game isn't true for the main timeline too. But stuff like 'this changes how Vegeta got Super Saiyan God/why is Future Trunks there?!' shouldn't be relative to breaking things for you since, again, the game's answers for those are staring you right in the face.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:27 pm

I think it's safe to say the next DLC will be very similar to this one where we'll train with Whis to gain SsjB. I wonder if the story arc that's listed for the 3rd DLC will be an entirely original story.

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:51 pm

MeMeDZEHH wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:58 am
Tai Lung wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:10 am Although it may not matter that they take away from videl the only relevant moment he had after years

I mean it's a game, who cares. If they want to do something different, i don't know where is the problem.
I do not care if it is not canon ... that does not mean that it is a good change ... with z there were no changes that way and if they are not going to adapt the series as such then make a new story as they were doing before ...

and anyway it's my only negative criticism of the game until now

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:34 pm

This first wave of DLC, in terms of actually playing it, has been a little 'eh' for me, I'll admit. It's fun, but the fact that a bunch of the early parts of it are BEYOND easy is pretty disappointing. Like, the first thing you have to do with either Goku or Vegeta is Whis's basic training, which is geared for...Level 5. As in, a Level 5 character. ...Did...did they actually expect people to have bought both this game, AND it's DLC, AND to have jumped into playing the DLC first rather than the main game, so they made it to where you could easily enough?! ...What logical sense does that make?

I'm not even joking either, because there's even a part to the training to give you access to Goku and Vegeta's other Super Saiyan forms prior to God, just in case you didn't have them already...which...the only way that would be possible is if you didn't play the main game first. It's just a really, really weird design choice that I can't possibly fathom why they did it that way.

Once you get to the last couple of fights with Whis though, he's at least able to put up a fairly decent challenge. And once you get max leveled (if you weren't already - I'm actually glad I hadn't prior to this, so that this gave me at least a little something more to do), you get to fight Beerus at the max level 250 as well, and he. Is. A BASTARD. I think I fought him over twenty times, and that's with food boosts, before I was finally able to beat him with Goku, and that was by the skin of my TEETH. Then, you get to go do all of this again with Vegeta if you did Goku's stuff first. I'm betting he's going to be just as hard to deal with as Vegeta probably, jeebus.

There's also two new sub-stories, but I haven't been able to do those yet. Based on their descriptions, one of them you do as Vegeta once you hit Lv. 200 and I'm not really sure what you do there, but the other one is for Goku at Lv. 250. I can't seem to do it yet, but it's description makes me think it requires Vegeta to be max leveled as well, and sounds like it might be fighting against God Vegeta, and/or then teaming up with him to fight Beerus AGAIN? Not really sure on the specifics there.

So yeah, overall, a bit of a 'meh' first installment for DLC, but it does make me wonder exactly what they're prepping us for with wave 2 and 3, given this one basically requires and hands max level to you on a plate. Unless we get a level cap increase, it's likely just going to be a difficulty one, and OH DEAR GOD is that gonna be "fun".
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

TheSaiyanGod

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:17 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:34 pm This first wave of DLC, in terms of actually playing it, has been a little 'eh' for me, I'll admit. It's fun, but the fact that a bunch of the early parts of it are BEYOND easy is pretty disappointing. Like, the first thing you have to do with either Goku or Vegeta is Whis's basic training, which is geared for...Level 5. As in, a Level 5 character. ...Did...did they actually expect people to have bought both this game, AND it's DLC, AND to have jumped into playing the DLC first rather than the main game, so they made it to where you could easily enough?! ...What logical sense does that make?

I'm not even joking either, because there's even a part to the training to give you access to Goku and Vegeta's other Super Saiyan forms prior to God, just in case you didn't have them already...which...the only way that would be possible is if you didn't play the main game first. It's just a really, really weird design choice that I can't possibly fathom why they did it that way.

Once you get to the last couple of fights with Whis though, he's at least able to put up a fairly decent challenge. And once you get max leveled (if you weren't already - I'm actually glad I hadn't prior to this, so that this gave me at least a little something more to do), you get to fight Beerus at the max level 250 as well, and he. Is. A BASTARD. I think I fought him over twenty times, and that's with food boosts, before I was finally able to beat him with Goku, and that was by the skin of my TEETH. Then, you get to go do all of this again with Vegeta if you did Goku's stuff first. I'm betting he's going to be just as hard to deal with as Vegeta probably, jeebus.

There's also two new sub-stories, but I haven't been able to do those yet. Based on their descriptions, one of them you do as Vegeta once you hit Lv. 200 and I'm not really sure what you do there, but the other one is for Goku at Lv. 250. I can't seem to do it yet, but it's description makes me think it requires Vegeta to be max leveled as well, and sounds like it might be fighting against God Vegeta, and/or then teaming up with him to fight Beerus AGAIN? Not really sure on the specifics there.

So yeah, overall, a bit of a 'meh' first installment for DLC, but it does make me wonder exactly what they're prepping us for with wave 2 and 3, given this one basically requires and hands max level to you on a plate. Unless we get a level cap increase, it's likely just going to be a difficulty one, and OH DEAR GOD is that gonna be "fun".
My guess is that they created these initial low-level training specifically for people who access DLC in the beginning of story mode. IIRC Bandai constantly promoted the fact that this DLC could be accessed at any time and that we could use the SSG against enemies like Raditz or Dodoria.

So I think they wanted to create a kind of NG +, because Whis training allows you to get transformations even before you unlock them in the story. Since this doesn't work with Time Machine because we can literally one shot the enemies, then this DLC kind of makes it possible.

experted_luke

Post by experted_luke » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:01 am

Highly disappointed with the DLC. Waited over 3 months for a boss battle. No NG+ elements added, you go back in time as a Super Saiyan God literally to just destroy anything in your way. NG+ would be fun, and also some online features like co-op and boss rush to keep us occupied until the second part comes out.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:42 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:34 pm This first wave of DLC, in terms of actually playing it, has been a little 'eh' for me, I'll admit. It's fun, but the fact that a bunch of the early parts of it are BEYOND easy is pretty disappointing. Like, the first thing you have to do with either Goku or Vegeta is Whis' basic training, which is geared for...Level 5. As in, a Level 5 character. ...Did...did they actually expect people to have bought both this game, AND it's DLC, AND to have jumped into playing the DLC first rather than the main game, so they made it to where you could easily enough?! ...What logical sense does that make?

I honestly have no idea why they did that either. Like, the DLC makes absolutely no sense to try & do unless you're wanting to low-level run it, but that's not really worth it to do at all in my mind given how bullshit the higher-level shit is in this DLC. The fact that they reused dialogue in the script for their reactions, as well as maybe some of the recordings, really cements that. It comes off like even THEY knew it was redundant, but included it for padding purposes.
Gyt Kaliba wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:34 pm Once you get to the last couple of fights with Whis though, he's at least able to put up a fairly decent challenge. And once you get max leveled (if you weren't already - I'm actually glad I hadn't prior to this, so that this gave me at least a little something more to do), you get to fight Beerus at the max level 250 as well, and he. Is. A BASTARD. I think I fought him over twenty times, and that's with food boosts, before I was finally able to beat him with Goku, and that was by the skin of my TEETH. Then, you get to go do all of this again with Vegeta if you did Goku's stuff first. I'm betting he's going to be just as hard to deal with as Vegeta probably, jeebus.
Those fights, though bullshit, are so incredibly easy to cheese, especially when you've power leveled way over Whis. I just used the Consecutive Ki Blasts until I unlocked the highest Spirit Bomb for Goku. Vegeta, I just used the blasts. Once you're 250, lvl the 200 Whis falls very easily to the Spirit Bomb. Legit, it takes me less than a minute to drain his health with that move. Depends on how many times he DMs. Beerus is harder to hit, but the blasts did the trick for a lot of his health being chipped away. Even way under-leveled like I was at some points.

Also, I don't know if the bosses have some form of Revenge Value, but Whis always DMed at least once in every match of him at 200 with Goku no matter how many Spirit Bombs I threw at him. It must be a weird timing thing.
Gyt Kaliba wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:34 pm There's also two new sub-stories, but I haven't been able to do those yet. Based on their descriptions, one of them you do as Vegeta once you hit Lv. 200 and I'm not really sure what you do there, but the other one is for Goku at Lv. 250. I can't seem to do it yet, but it's description makes me think it requires Vegeta to be max leveled as well, and sounds like it might be fighting against God Vegeta, and/or then teaming up with him to fight Beerus AGAIN? Not really sure on the specifics there.
The one with Vegeta has to deal with him
while the one with Goku
after the both attain Super Saiyan God. The Goku one is cool while Vegeta's is one I don't really care for, tbh.
Gyt Kaliba wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:34 pm So yeah, overall, a bit of a 'meh' first installment for DLC, but it does make me wonder exactly what they're prepping us for with wave 2 and 3, given this one basically requires and hands max level to you on a plate. Unless we get a level cap increase, it's likely just going to be a difficulty one, and OH DEAR GOD is that gonna be "fun".
When it comes to the DLC, I actually appreciate that it gives such a good way to grind levels. I feel so sorry for those who ground the hard way weeks ago only to find that, if they'd waited, they wouldn't have had to do so. Like, it took me only a few hours to grind Goku & Vegeta to 250 each thanks to the Rare Candy equivalents they gave us here & I plan to grind more to get everyone else to 250 for completionist's sake in that regard at some point. I already have them at level 100, as well as Gohan at 175, so it's a bucketlist thing. Also, I really wish we could level the rest of the characters from the menu while on Beerus' planet rather than having to go back to the main story. It's just a convenience thing, honestly. I don't care that we can't play as them there, as I understand why, but not being able to level them from the menu is a real pain in the ass.

In terms of how to access the DLC, I actually like the way it is in this game. It's exactly the same as Spider-Man 2018/PS4 had it (which, if you still haven't played that game, DO IT! It's absolutely fantastic) & I prefer this rather than how Kingdom Hearts III did it, which was to pick the DLC from the main menu & have new save files that took up slots in the menu, mainly because they didn't give us more save files for that game in an update like they should've for some reason like the other games have. Just something I thought I'd note here. I also kinda like them stealing Insomniac's model of doing the DLC & having a new, smaller story told in 3 parts.

When it comes to the story of the DLC, it's barely there. I don't understand why they just didn't do Battle of Gods, then do this shit after. I agree that it should've been adapted. However, for different reasons than most people are saying. I just don't find this version of events to be better than the original from the film or Super. The story just...starts. No real set-up, just Whis calling out to Goku & Vegeta, then them suddenly appearing, confused, on Beerus' planet apparently because Whis knows who they are & what they're capable of. At first, this got me thinking that this is the Whis from canon hopping timelines, or that he informed this version of him about them, but there's no confirmation of any of that & it's all left up in the air. Whis just gives an air that he knows more than he lets on for some reason.
Also, he apparently has the ability to unlock SS 1-3, but not God? What? I get that he might be able to unlock someone's hidden powers, as we have 2 characters in Z that can do that already, but that's never even been hinted at, as, anytime he's been shown training Goku &/or Vegeta in the anime or manga, they're doing physical exercises, so I don't know. This being an Action RPG, you'd think they'd take advantage of the medium of a game to fully explore these events like Super did as a TV show. It's just more disappointing than anything.
I DO love Whis' dialogue early on, though. He basically tells the audience not to worry about how events are playing out in the game & just wants people to have fun. A good piece of advice for some, as I've seen some really negative reactions online that are really unwarranted, imo. I seriously hope that they make parts 2 & 3 really worth it, though, as you should want your players who spent more money than the initial $60 to feel like they got their money's worth as a game company & developing team. This isn't worth as much as they thought it was as the first part.
experted_luke wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:01 am Highly disappointed with the DLC. Waited over 3 months for a boss battle. No NG+ elements added, you go back in time as a Super Saiyan God literally to just destroy anything in your way. NG+ would be fun, and also some online features like co-op and boss rush to keep us occupied until the second part comes out.
NG+, I'd like, but you can use the Time Machine to replay the main story at any time, so, same thing at the end of the day. I don't know what else could be expected. A boss rush would be nice, though.
Online co-op? Bruh, if they wanted that to be in the game, I'd think that they would've announced something or put something in the game Day 1 for later expansion. I think you had the wrong expectations here if you really expected that.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

The Undying
Banned Alternate Account

Post by The Undying » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:56 am

It's not amazing or anything, but I enjoyed it for what it is. Bear in mind that most of the expansion's price tag is (presumably) justified by the third part, not the first two boss battle episodes.

General thoughts:

Level 250 Beerus is actually quite difficult if you're not relying on cheesable shit. The game needed a boss like this. Definitely looking forward to the next one.

Story kinda sucked, but in the story's defense, it's not the focus here. Really should have been a "canon" thing between the movies. I guess it's interesting the ritual is slightly different in this version of events.

The Whis battles are fun. I actually didn't mind repeating them.

The Sacred Waters are great and I don't get why people are complaining about them. They're an optional way to avoid grinding so you can optionally reach the very optional max level sooner than later. Did I mention they're optional? I don't think I've said the word "optional" enough. Also yeah, fuck grinding.

There are two more sidequests, and while they're nothing special, they have pretty fun dialogue. Oracle Fish is such a snarky, lovable little shit.

I like how you can use the DLC as a kind of NG+ thing, even if it does eschew any semblance of challenge. There's nothing funnier than steamrolling Raditz as a Super Saiyan.
Formerly Marlowe89.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:33 pm

For those who wonder, here is how the music pack works:

- You can set one track of your choice for the exploration. This is only meant for venturing into wide natural areas with enemies around. The tracks for the various landmarks are not modified (West City, Capsule Corporation, Kame House, etc.), but as soon as you get away from "crowded spaces" and venture into a wild area, your chosen track kicks in. This makes sure that you can listen to your favorite exploration track without getting in the way of the "living hubs" atmosphere and most of the story moments.

- You can set one track of your choice for the battles. Unlike the selective approach used for the exploration track, this replaces ALL battle tracks without any exception, whether it's a casual fight against a regular enemy or one of the many boss battles in the story. So if you choose one, you will hear it for every possible battle, which might become repetitive when it comes to replaying the story.

- Unlike the language option, you don't have to be on the title screen to change your settings. As long as you have access to the options menu during your game, you can go and switch your chosen track on the fly for exploration and for battles.

- While you may think that some tracks were golden opportunities to use for specific moments in the story and faithfully improve the impact of key moments, no music has been changed in cutscenes and dialogues. So don't expect to hear Unmei no Hi during Gohan's Super Saiyan 2 transformation. Of course, you're free to set it yourself for the following fight against Cell, but remember it will apply to all fights and if you're playing through the story a second time, you'll barely even hear the first 3 seconds of the song that any fight will be over.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:51 pm

The fact that people are getting up in arms about a video game doing something differently proves this fanbase cares WAAY TOO MUCH about “canon.” It’s such a meaningless word and I don’t see the big deal over the change.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:58 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:51 pm The fact that people are getting up in arms about a video game doing something differently proves this fanbase cares WAAY TOO MUCH about “canon.” It’s such a meaningless word and I don’t see the big deal over the change.
True. CC2 took similar approaches in the Naruto UNS series as far as following the story. Not everything was page for page manga material. Still good stuff.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

Young-Jah
Beyond Newbie

Post by Young-Jah » Fri May 01, 2020 11:39 am

The Undying wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:03 pm Would have preferred the DLC to have been post-BoG instead of some alternate take, but whatever, it's fine for what it is.

Seeing Vegeta do the ritual is funny as hell and I'm not really sure why.
I didn't like how the ritual scene had Future Trunks, since the developers (more importantly Toriyama since he is helping on the game) forgot to add Videl.
It's My Boy, your Boy, his Boy! ~OSW Review HD

The Undying
Banned Alternate Account

Post by The Undying » Fri May 01, 2020 2:55 pm

Just beat max Beerus a second time without any food buffs or special spam. The only Know-How I had equipped was Auto Super Saiyan God.

This fight is totally doable, and won't feel nearly as rewarding if you try to cheese it or rely on stat boosts. His attack patterns are consistent enough that you'll know when to put on the pressure, when to counter, and when to take advantage of Surge after a few attempts. Obviously when he's chaining his specials, just keep your distance and counter/dodge.

I find that the X finisher combo is the best for pressuring. It keeps him close and doesn't give him a lot of openings.

Did the development team really have a super tough time with this one or was that just marketing hype? :lol:
Young-Jah wrote:I didn't like how the ritual scene had Future Trunks, since the developers (more importantly Toriyama since he is helping on the game) forgot to add Videl.
I don't think they "forgot" per se. It's more of an obvious shortcut to get the episode released on time, and it's too small of a detail to matter in the grand scheme.
Last edited by The Undying on Fri May 01, 2020 3:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Formerly Marlowe89.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Fri May 01, 2020 3:11 pm

Not including Videl was probably the easiest way to go since this DLC tries to shorten (or avoid) the story as much as possible, just showing you what is strictly essential.

They probably didn't want players to see the ritual slideshow with the text quickly mentionning, as if it was nothing, "and they included Videl because - by the way - she's pregnant with another Saiyan thanks to Gohan, but anyway, back to business with the fight now that you're transformed".

Gohan being a father is probably going to be brought up only in the new story arc and not before that.

Meanwhile, they likely had to hurry like crazy to come up with this DLC so soon, leading to:

- a glitch where the whole cutscene of Vegeta serving dinner to Beerus didn't show any of the characters when I played this quest.

- the French version having a wrongly input text that doesn't read the various abilities as "End of O level 1 learned" or "End of X level 1 learned" but as "End of <inputicon KeyConfigId="Battle_Combo1"/> level 1 learned" or "End of <inputicon KeyConfigId="Battle_Combo2"/> level 1 learned" for all four abilities like that and their various levels.

It is obvious that it took a lot of efforts and that they barely managed to put this DLC together in time, not even being able to check that the text was all okay in the various languages.
Meaning that it takes a lot of time to do things in this game and you can't ask too much from the developers, since what we have is already something that was patched up in a panic due to the incredible amount of work it takes to even come up with that in a whole three months! When even the fact of replacing music with one single choice for battle and one single choice for exploration also takes 3 months to put in place, you can bet that it's not easy to create stuff for this game, no matter how simple it may seem.

So I'd expect the complete new arc for the end of the year, not before that! But maybe I'm wrong and we'll have the pleasant surprise of having it sooner.