Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Scsigs
I Live Here

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Scsigs » Sun May 03, 2020 9:25 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 8:09 pm
Scsigs wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 7:34 pm I very much agree. Z, as it was produced, is incredibly slow-paced. Like, they were always in danger of catching up the manga, so I understand, but when part of the English dub's problems were that the lines were delivered very slowly a lot of the time because of the pacing, I think that's a problem.
It's a shame they didn't just produce separate filler arcs like Naruto did instead of stretching out the manga's material to an unnatural length.
I mean, Garlic Jr. & the Otherworld Tournament. But, yeah. Also, Naruto still stretched episodes with filler. Shippuden especially.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sun May 03, 2020 11:24 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 8:09 pm It's a shame they didn't just produce separate filler arcs like Naruto did instead of stretching out the manga's material to an unnatural length.
The filler arcs in Naruto were the worst parts of that series. I doubt Toei would have done any better than Pierrot. Although I suppose it would make it easier to skip certain chunks of episodes to watch the series.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Mon May 04, 2020 7:27 am

MyVisionity wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 11:24 pmI suppose it would make it easier to skip certain chunks of episodes to watch the series.
This is my point. I know they're not good, but they don't drag the canon material out like what Toei's doing with One Piece and what they did with Z.

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Mon May 04, 2020 10:47 pm

an unpopular opinion :think:
I consider that the change of personality of Videl is not currently bad, it is part of her character development ...
they explain it in the DB super series is very direct
she really didn't like to fight but she had to do it for her father who was the savior of the earth and that's why she always tried to seem rude since she would one day continue the "legacy" but everything changed when she met gohan who suffered her same problems ... and knowing the truth ... it was no longer necessary for her to live a lie and she dedicated herself to doing what she wanted to do as a normal girl

She is not even a screaming housewife and in fact I like that since it makes sense with the calm and happy life that she wanted to have with Gohan :D

is basically the development of akane tendo must have had :lol:

Witty User Name
Banned

Post by Witty User Name » Wed May 06, 2020 3:49 am

Scsigs wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 3:35 pm
Witty User Name wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 12:41 am I actually really enjoy DB Kai (Kai 1.0 anyway) and I think the manga is really, and I mean VASTLY, superior to the anime.
I don't get any hate Kai receives AT ALL! It trims a LOT of the fat of the original Z anime, gives it a decent remaster (minus some obviously rotoscoped shots that aren't done too well), & the English dub is hands-down one of the best ever produced. To this day, it's also the only remaster of the show I'm fine with anyone watching. It's not perfect, but it's a perfectly watchable version of the show.
It's also faster paced than Z, like already said by somebody else here. :)

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed May 06, 2020 7:53 pm

Witty User Name wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 3:49 am
Witty User Name wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 12:41 am I actually really enjoy DB Kai (Kai 1.0 anyway) and I think the manga is really, and I mean VASTLY, superior to the anime.
I don't get any hate Kai receives AT ALL! It trims a LOT of the fat of the original Z anime, gives it a decent remaster (minus some obviously rotoscoped shots that aren't done too well), & the English dub is hands-down one of the best ever produced. To this day, it's also the only remaster of the show I'm fine with anyone watching. It's not perfect, but it's a perfectly watchable version of the show.
It’s faster paced, but it still keeps a fair amount of filler, especially once it gets to the Boo arc. That’s ultimately the problem. It tries to sell itself as a more faithful adaptation of the manga, but it doesn’t fully commit to it.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Wed May 06, 2020 8:56 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 7:53 pmIt still keeps a fair amount of filler, especially once it gets to the Boo arc. That’s ultimately the problem.
Although it doesn't remove everything, the pacing is nearly perfect. The only complain I have is the middle part of the Buu arc after Vegeta's sacrifice, I think 2-3 episodes worth of content could've been removed from there. Despite it not being perfect, Kai still removes 120+ episodes worth of filler, the equivalent of one long anime or multiple short ones. I'd take that any day over Z's 291 episodes that are just a waste of time at this point.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed May 06, 2020 9:54 pm

Definitely agree with the posts above in terms of Kai's filler removal, especially since they cut nearly all of the ones that i have personally never cared for like the Garlic Jr. arc and some others the orphan kids, Arlia and Princess Snake although there were some which i actually like and really enjoy including some of Gohan's training in the wilderness bits prior to Vegeta and Nappa's arrival and the Anoyo-ichi Budokai. It really makes watching the series easier to do because the amounts of filler in the original Z really drags down the pacing of the manga's story, and overall besides the much improved dub from FUNi it's definitely a better experience for those who just can't watch the entire 291 episode run start to finish, and mostly in my case i just watch my personal favorite episodes of OG Z and Kai the rest of the time.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu May 07, 2020 3:37 am

Witty User Name wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 3:49 am
That's also one of its strengths. Even at times when it keeps filler (mostly in TFC), I feel the pace is generally good, though it was a little jarring early on in 1.0 before they got a handle on how to properly edit it & make it flow more naturally. What little filler is kept isn't all that bad either. Just shots or lines that don't detract from the experience but help it flow more naturally. Like, i wouldn't mind a full reanimated version of the manga's story a la Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, but this is a nice substitute.
Matches Malone wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:56 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 7:53 pmIt still keeps a fair amount of filler, especially once it gets to the Boo arc. That’s ultimately the problem.
Although it doesn't remove everything, the pacing is nearly perfect. The only complain I have is the middle part of the Buu arc after Vegeta's sacrifice, I think 2-3 episodes worth of content could've been removed from there. Despite it not being perfect, Kai still removes 120+ episodes worth of filler, the equivalent of one long anime or multiple short ones. I'd take that any day over Z's 291 episodes that are just a waste of time at this point.
It's interesting to talk about TFC because Japan got an even more reduced filler cut to speed the storyline along to the real meat of the arc, which, I've seen clips online & they also sped up some shots to make them go faster & it's is JARRING to watch. TFC was originally commissioned for international audiences, only airing in Japan when Toei needed something quick to replace the Toriko anime since they needed to keep the timeslot, remember.
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:54 pm Definitely agree with the posts above in terms of Kai's filler removal, especially since they cut nearly all of the ones that i have personally never cared for like the Garlic Jr. arc and some others the orphan kids, Arlia and Princess Snake although there were some which i actually like and really enjoy including some of Gohan's training in the wilderness bits prior to Vegeta and Nappa's arrival and the Anoyo-ichi Budokai. It really makes watching the series easier to do because the amounts of filler in the original Z really drags down the pacing of the manga's story, and overall besides the much improved dub from FUNi it's definitely a better experience for those who just can't watch the entire 291 episode run start to finish, and mostly in my case i just watch my personal favorite episodes of OG Z and Kai the rest of the time.
My thing with filler is that, if you need it, you need to make it either interesting or entertaining in some way, particularly if your show is in a serialized format. Like, if the audience knows or can tell it's filler, entertain them until you can get back to the meat of the overall story being told. Dragon Ball's filler was all that, looking to entertain while also keeping the show distanced from the current point of the manga at the time. Even the less interesting filler of original DB is at least entertaining to watch. The bulk of Z's filler largely consists of scenes that weren't in the manga & slowed the pace to an absolute crawl. When they did do filler that was original & paced mostly well, it was often short or jarring. Kai was very much needed at that point. If TFS can still make an interesting, coherent, & entertaining recut & parody of the show with the original animation cutting even MORE shots than Q-Tec & Toei did, there's certainly a point to be made that, largely only keeping canon scenes from the manga & smaller bits of additional animation to make the story flow well from scene to scene or shot to shot is a good idea. Like, I've heard it said that the Frieza VS Goku fight is one of the worst paced fights in all of anime due to the large amounts of filler they had to add because they were merely WEEKS behind the manga. It was, 20 something episodes, right? Watching it be cut down to only 5 or so episodes, cutting all superfluous bits, is MUCH preferred over watching shit that either doesn't matter or make a lot of sense. Especially when the canon shots followed the manga so well that there's no shot to shot continuity issues from cutting out the superfluous bits.
I don't envy the editors, though. They watched hours & hours of raw DBZ for the purposes of cutting out most of the superfluous bits of animation with a copy of the manga on their desks to make sure that they didn't miss anything, but also have to make sure that shot continuity still makes sense while working in like iMovie or some shit before they edit the clips together into coherent episodes. That's not easy & I'll bet it got super boring at times. They were probably happy when they got the key of which episodes are entirely filler so they could junk the files of those episodes.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu May 07, 2020 5:59 am

Scsigs wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 3:37 am It's interesting to talk about TFC because Japan got an even more reduced filler cut to speed the storyline along to the real meat of the arc, which, I've seen clips online & they also sped up some shots to make them go faster & it's is JARRING to watch.

My thing with filler is that, if you need it, you need to make it either interesting or entertaining in some way, particularly if your show is in a serialized format. Dragon Ball's filler was all that, looking to entertain while also keeping the show distanced from the current point of the manga at the time.

Frieza VS Goku fight was, 20 something episodes, right? Watching it be cut down to only 5 or so episodes, cutting all superfluous bits, is MUCH preferred over watching shit that either doesn't matter or make a lot of sense.
The reduction was applied up to Goku and friends going after Babidi and Dabura, after that it's exactly like the international version, with one episode removed at the very end before the time skip. Believe it or not, Kai's Japanese version was going to be even shorter, as according to Nozawa (before her statement was removed) it was going to be a bit over 40 episodes long. That's a massive difference when compared to the version they ended up getting (61 episodes) and the international version (69 episodes). An issue I have with the Japanese version is how it goes from really fast (the part that was edited down even further) and the rest of the show. It's not the most consistent presentation, as they clearly intended to have the entire show flow that fast, resulting in an additional 20 episodes being removed. I understand fans wanting it to be more fast paced, but I think cutting that much content out would've resulted in a too fast of a pace for the story's flow.

Whoever handled DB's filler knew what they were doing, as instead of feeling like a chore to get through, they were a chance for the viewers to catch their breath before the next big arc. The only issues I have with OG DB is the first half of the RRA and King Piccolo arcs are a bit slower paced compared to the rest of the canon material.

When I first watched Z, that was by far the hardest part to get through, as the story never moved forward. Despite cutting out half of those episodes, they still managed to keep the majority if not all of what took place in the fight. There's 10 episodes worth of constant cutting to what was happening on earth, or to someone commenting on the fight, by just saying what we can clearly see. This is my biggest issue with Super's pacing, as anytime someone would do something, they'd cut to a character telling us what just happened, despite us clearly seeing it.

Witty User Name
Banned

Post by Witty User Name » Fri May 08, 2020 2:31 am

Matches Malone wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 5:59 am
Scsigs wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 3:37 am It's interesting to talk about TFC because Japan got an even more reduced filler cut to speed the storyline along to the real meat of the arc, which, I've seen clips online & they also sped up some shots to make them go faster & it's is JARRING to watch.

My thing with filler is that, if you need it, you need to make it either interesting or entertaining in some way, particularly if your show is in a serialized format. Dragon Ball's filler was all that, looking to entertain while also keeping the show distanced from the current point of the manga at the time.

Frieza VS Goku fight was, 20 something episodes, right? Watching it be cut down to only 5 or so episodes, cutting all superfluous bits, is MUCH preferred over watching shit that either doesn't matter or make a lot of sense.
The reduction was applied up to Goku and friends going after Babidi and Dabura, after that it's exactly like the international version, with one episode removed at the very end before the time skip. Believe it or not, Kai's Japanese version was going to be even shorter, as according to Nozawa (before her statement was removed) it was going to be a bit over 40 episodes long. That's a massive difference when compared to the version they ended up getting (61 episodes) and the international version (69 episodes). An issue I have with the Japanese version is how it goes from really fast (the part that was edited down even further) and the rest of the show. It's not the most consistent presentation, as they clearly intended to have the entire show flow that fast, resulting in an additional 20 episodes being removed. I understand fans wanting it to be more fast paced, but I think cutting that much content out would've resulted in a too fast of a pace for the story's flow.

Whoever handled DB's filler knew what they were doing, as instead of feeling like a chore to get through, they were a chance for the viewers to catch their breath before the next big arc. The only issues I have with OG DB is the first half of the RRA and King Piccolo arcs are a bit slower paced compared to the rest of the canon material.

When I first watched Z, that was by far the hardest part to get through, as the story never moved forward. Despite cutting out half of those episodes, they still managed to keep the majority if not all of what took place in the fight. There's 10 episodes worth of constant cutting to what was happening on earth, or to someone commenting on the fight, by just saying what we can clearly see. This is my biggest issue with Super's pacing, as anytime someone would do something, they'd cut to a character telling us what just happened, despite us clearly seeing it.
One thing I don't like much about TFC is the episode count. The original Buu arc was roughly 91 episodes. Is cutting down to 69 really worth it? It should like have been half of it (roughly half of 91, that's it), like Kai 1.0. That way it would also have been consistent with the ''previous'' show. But then, you get what you get. I suppose TFC could have been worse.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri May 08, 2020 6:45 am

Witty User Name wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 2:31 amOne thing I don't like much about TFC is the episode count. The original Buu arc was roughly 91 episodes. Is cutting down to 69 really worth it? It should like have been half of it (roughly half of 91, that's it), like Kai 1.0.
The issue with trying to do that is it would result in a too fast paced show, with even the fights getting cut down. The problem with the fights in the manga is that they were too short due to Toriyama being burned out at the time. Goku and Majin Vegeta's fight for example was a 4-7 page background fight, something that just wouldn't work for the anime. That's not to say I don't think they could've cut more out (there were 2 complete filler episodes left in, which brings it down to 67), but I don't think they could cut it down that much and still have a naturally paced show. Where the pacing slows down for me is after Vegeta's sacrifice up till Gotenks' fight in the time chamber. I think within those 17 episodes, they could've removed an addition 2-3 worth of material. To answer your question, was it worth it despite not removing as much as we hoped ? yes. Skip those 2 filler episodes, and Kai saves you 25 episodes worth of time, which you could spend on another anime for example. I can think of a lot to do within 8+ hours other than watching Z filler/padding.

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Fri May 08, 2020 8:43 am

My unpopular opinion: I never felt the need to skip episodes just because they aren't canon.

In fact, even now in the world where Kai exists, I still feel like original DBZ is in its entirety (with fillers, and everything) more definitive, and must see, than Kai. :yawn:

No matter the anime, fillers, good or bad, were always the part of the product, and it never felt right with me to ignore them.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri May 08, 2020 11:09 am

Psajdak wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 8:43 amMy unpopular opinion: I never felt the need to skip episodes just because they aren't canon.
I would agree with this if the filler was meaningful. I don't expect manga quality and importance out of filler, but I should be just as entertained. The problem with filler, especially Z's, is that it makes me feel like I'm just wasting my time. I don't need anything ground breaking, just fun to watch.

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Fri May 08, 2020 11:22 am

Matches Malone wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 11:09 am I would agree with this if the filler was meaningful. I don't expect manga quality and importance out of filler, but I should be just as entertained. The problem with filler, especially Z's, is that it makes me feel like I'm just wasting my time. I don't need anything ground breaking, just fun to watch.
I understand what you mean, and it makes absolute sense, A LOT of people would agree with you.

For me it is a bit different; when it comes to things I love, I (try to) accept everything with both its good, and bad sides (not that I'm by default deciding that fillers are bad sides, or that canon is good), I don't particularly care if something makes sense, or if it is even worth of watching in some grand scheme of things.
To me, being into something means consuming both fun part, as well as boredom, so to speak.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri May 08, 2020 11:23 am

The only meaningful filler is the one Goku learns how to drive, as it explains why we see Goku driving later on. Then again, one could say Goku driving is not useful at all and so all fillers are meaningless.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri May 08, 2020 4:16 pm

Grimlock wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 11:23 am The only meaningful filler is the one Goku learns how to drive, as it explains why we see Goku driving later on. Then again, one could say Goku driving is not useful at all and so all fillers are meaningless.
But...did they know that he'd be driving later on? I doubt Toriyama even did.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri May 08, 2020 4:31 pm

Scsigs wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 4:16 pm
Grimlock wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 11:23 am The only meaningful filler is the one Goku learns how to drive, as it explains why we see Goku driving later on. Then again, one could say Goku driving is not useful at all and so all fillers are meaningless.
But...did they know that he'd be driving later on? I doubt Toriyama even did.
Goku always had a car in the manga.

Fun fact is the anime also shows that red car we see Chi-Chi driving near the beginning of Z is her father's meaning she does have a license but not a car.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri May 08, 2020 6:02 pm

There is much better filler, like MUCH better,, than the driving episode.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri May 08, 2020 6:07 pm

Scsigs wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 4:16 pmBut...did they know that he'd be driving later on? I doubt Toriyama even did.
I don't think so. Pretty sure when Toei comes up with filler scenes they don't imagine their idea might end up in the manga somehow. Kinda lazy right now to do some research, but I think the driving school scene was shown way before we see Goku driving in the manga.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~