"Funi took terminology straight from Banda"i thing is true or not

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

"Funi took terminology straight from Banda"i thing is true or not

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat May 09, 2020 11:51 am

Saiyan was from them I heard.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Re: "Funi took terminology straight from Banda"i thing is true or not

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sat May 09, 2020 6:46 pm

Well, Bandai used "Saiyan" in their videogames before Funimation even got the licence to dub DBZ, but I can't say if Bandai was a direct influence or not. Maybe Bandai's use of "Saiyan" led to fans using, thus leading to FUNi using it... But I mean, it could also just have been written in the "English" script they had, or just simply came up with the translation on their own. It's pretty much the best possible translation.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat May 09, 2020 6:49 pm

Well, Saiyan is also just a legitimate adaptation of Saiyajin, since "jin" is just a term to describe someone from a place, so it's just a logical adaptation.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat May 09, 2020 6:50 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 6:46 pm Well, Bandai used "Saiyan" in their videogames before Funimation even got the licence to dub DBZ, but I can't say if Bandai was a direct influence or not. Maybe Bandai's use of "Saiyan" led to fans using, thus leading to FUNi using it... But I mean, it could also just have been written in the "English" script they had, or just simply came up with the translation on their own. It's pretty much the best possible translation.
I was wondering where the whole thing with Saiyan being pronounced with the "ay" sound to it rather than "ai" like the Japanese version came from.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sat May 09, 2020 7:00 pm

In that case, it's just cuz Funimation's actors simply GUESSED on how to pronounce it. No one at FUNi knew what was right or wrong. In english, AI/AY tends to be pronounced "ehy" nowadays. Like in the word "wait". I think we got that from french? But then we do still say "aisle" and "ay" with an "ahy", so it's not impossible that they could have guessed correctly.. Especially if they had knowledge of a language like Spanish, Italian, Hawaiian, etc. But alas, they did not.

It's also how we got "kehy-oh" in Kaio-ken for so many years. ..Despite King Kai being pronounced correctly.

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat May 09, 2020 7:04 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 7:00 pm In that case, it's just cuz Funimation's actors simply GUESSED on how to pronounce it. No one at FUNi knew what was right or wrong. In english, AI/AY tends to be pronounced "ehy" nowadays. Like in the word "wait". I think we got that from french? But then we do still say "aisle" and "ay" with an "ahy", so it's not impossible that they could have guessed correctly.. Especially if they had knowledge of a language like Spanish, Italian, Hawaiian, etc. But alas, they did not.

It's also how we got "kehy-oh" in Kaio-ken for so many years. ..Despite King Kai being pronounced correctly.
Yeah, the kayo-ken one stuck around for quite a while although the Pioneer produced dub of The World's Strongest actually got it right mostly due to them having an accurate script. Then of course once later video games and eventually Kai came around FUNi finally corrected it. Though with Saiyan, in Japanese it's effectively pronounced the same way you say the one particular color shade of blue's name.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sat May 09, 2020 8:05 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 6:46 pm It's pretty much the best possible translation.
They could have just used "Saiya" instead of "Saiyan". But I doubt they were trying to translate it themselves with the precedent out there at the time.

Metalwario64 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 6:49 pm Well, Saiyan is also just a legitimate adaptation of Saiyajin, since "jin" is just a term to describe someone from a place, so it's just a logical adaptation.
Except "Saiya" is not a place. It's the name of the race. Jin just refers to a people or person. I understand the logic behind it, but it's flawed logic.

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 6:50 pm I was wondering where the whole thing with Saiyan being pronounced with the "ay" sound to it rather than "ai" like the Japanese version came from.
They may have just thought it sounded better than the Japanese pronunciation. I don't have a problem with it, because "Saiyan" was never a Japanese term to begin with. So why force Japanese phonetics onto a term created for a non-Japanese speaking audience? Personally, I think the Japanese sai pronunciation sounds awkward when used in "Saiyan". I also don't find the English pronunciation to sound much different than the Japanese one honestly.

As far as the origin of "Saiyan", wasn't there some scenes in the anime using that spelling? Like on a T-shirt or something?

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat May 09, 2020 8:48 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 8:05 pm
linkdude20002001 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 6:46 pm It's pretty much the best possible translation.
They could have just used "Saiya" instead of "Saiyan". But I doubt they were trying to translate it themselves with the precedent out there at the time.

Metalwario64 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 6:49 pm Well, Saiyan is also just a legitimate adaptation of Saiyajin, since "jin" is just a term to describe someone from a place, so it's just a logical adaptation.
Except "Saiya" is not a place. It's the name of the race. Jin just refers to a people or person. I understand the logic behind it, but it's flawed logic.

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 6:50 pm I was wondering where the whole thing with Saiyan being pronounced with the "ay" sound to it rather than "ai" like the Japanese version came from.
They may have just thought it sounded better than the Japanese pronunciation. I don't have a problem with it, because "Saiyan" was never a Japanese term to begin with. So why force Japanese phonetics onto a term created for a non-Japanese speaking audience? Personally, I think the Japanese sai pronunciation sounds awkward when used in "Saiyan". I also don't find the English pronunciation to sound much different than the Japanese one honestly.

As far as the origin of "Saiyan", wasn't there some scenes in the anime using that spelling? Like on a T-shirt or something?
Yeah now that i think about it that makes sense, then there are those various dubs which adapt it from the original but changed slightly like the Malaysian dub which translated as Saiya People which was more or less accurate to the written word of it in Japanese and Filipino which sounds like "Syan/Cyan" there.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat May 09, 2020 11:26 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 8:05 pm As far as the origin of "Saiyan", wasn't there some scenes in the anime using that spelling? Like on a T-shirt or something?
Someone on one of the islands Cell blows up is wearing a shirt that says "The Super Saiyan."
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sun May 10, 2020 1:37 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 7:04 pm Yeah, the kayo-ken one stuck around for quite a while although the Pioneer produced dub of The World's Strongest actually got it right mostly due to them having an accurate script. Then of course once later video games and eventually Kai came around FUNi finally corrected it. Though with Saiyan, in Japanese it's effectively pronounced the same way you say the one particular color shade of blue's name.
A better translation of the script wouldn't change the pronunciation of anything. It's just a matter of Pioneer being in charge of that dub. They, or their translator, probably spoke up about it.

I would assume the correct pronunciation of Kaiō-ken came about from Schemmel learning from fans that "Kaio-ken" basically means "King Kai Technique", thus him finally fixing it to match how he says "King Kai".

But Saiyan is pronounced SAHY-ən, where-as I've only ever heard "cyan" pronounced as sahy-AAN (like "sigh" + "anne"). The emphasis being on a different syllable makes a huge difference. It's enough to change entire words.

MyVisionity wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 8:05 pm They may have just thought it sounded better than the Japanese pronunciation. I don't have a problem with it, because "Saiyan" was never a Japanese term to begin with. So why force Japanese phonetics onto a term created for a non-Japanese speaking audience? Personally, I think the Japanese sai pronunciation sounds awkward when used in "Saiyan". I also don't find the English pronunciation to sound much different than the Japanese one honestly.
They sound equally fine. Anyone saying otherwise just has what-they're-used-to bias.
Saiya is a rearranging of the Japanee word "yasai", so it IS of Japanese origin.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sun May 10, 2020 6:42 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 1:37 pm They sound equally fine. Anyone saying otherwise just has what-they're-used-to bias.
I'm not sure how anything can sound "equally fine". Especially when you're dealing with different languages and dialects. As well as with two different terms, "Saiyan" and "Saiya-jin".

linkdude20002001 wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 1:37 pm Saiya is a rearranging of the Japanee word "yasai", so it IS of Japanese origin.
The exact origin of the word is largely irrelevant in this case. I was referring to "Saiyan", not saiya. One is Japanese, the other is not.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun May 10, 2020 6:52 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 6:42 pm
linkdude20002001 wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 1:37 pm They sound equally fine. Anyone saying otherwise just has what-they're-used-to bias.
I'm not sure how anything can sound "equally fine". Especially when you're dealing with different languages and dialects. As well as with two different terms, "Saiyan" and "Saiya-jin".

linkdude20002001 wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 1:37 pm Saiya is a rearranging of the Japanee word "yasai", so it IS of Japanese origin.
The exact origin of the word is largely irrelevant in this case. I was referring to "Saiyan", not saiya. One is Japanese, the other is not.
Saiyan is literally just English adaptation of "Saiya-jin" though. There is no "Jin" in the English language so it's either Saiya people if you want to be awkwardly literal or Saiyan. It's still a Japanese word, just logically relayed to English listeners. The "n" serves the exact same purpose as "-jin" in this case.

It sounds like you're just using weirdly backwards logic to justify the change in pronunciation.

Similarly, Namekians are "Namek-jins" yet nobody's even given that a second thought.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sun May 10, 2020 7:25 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 6:52 pm Saiyan is literally just English adaptation of "Saiya-jin" though. There is no "Jin" in the English language so it's either Saiya people if you want to be awkwardly literal or Saiyan. It's still a Japanese word, just logically relayed to English listeners. The "n" serves the exact same purpose as "-jin" in this case.
It's an adaptation yes, but a flawed one. I don't think there is anything awkward about "Saiya", and you don't have to call them "Saiya people". And it's really no longer a Japanese word once it becomes "Saiyan".

jjgp1112 wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 6:52 pm Similarly, Namekians are "Namek-jins" yet nobody's even given that a second thought.
That's a much different case. "Namek/Namekian" comes from namekkuseijin, or "people of the Planet Namek". Namek is a place, unlike with Saiya.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Tue May 12, 2020 9:45 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 7:25 pm It's an adaptation yes, but a flawed one. I don't think there is anything awkward about "Saiya", and you don't have to call them "Saiya people". And it's really no longer a Japanese word once it becomes "Saiyan".
MyVisionity wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 6:42 pm The exact origin of the word is largely irrelevant in this case. I was referring to "Saiyan", not saiya. One is Japanese, the other is not.
Saiya-jin is not a Japanese word, tho. It's a name of a fictional race that uses the Japanese nationality-suffix, which needs to be adapted into an English-language nationality-suffix for the purpose of an English version of the cartoon. You just don't know what 人 (jin) means. It's not the Japanese word for "people"; it's a Japanese modifier that you tack onto words like Italia (Italia-jin, Italian in Italian & English), Iceland (Iceland-jin, Íslendingar in Icelandic, Icelander in English), or geinō (geinō-jin, performer in English).

The pronunciation of the "Saiya" part of "Saiyan" is important to get correct, or else you lose the connectability to the Japanese word "yasai", thus defeating the point of the naming scheme. YOU might not get the reference, but that doesn't mean it should be purposefully removed. Then NO-one gets the reference.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Tue May 12, 2020 10:40 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 9:45 pm Saiya-jin is not a Japanese word, tho. It's a name of a fictional race that uses the Japanese nationality-suffix, which needs to be adapted into an English-language nationality-suffix for the purpose of an English version of the cartoon. You just don't know what 人 (jin) means. It's not the Japanese word for "people"; it's a Japanese modifier that you tack onto words like Italia (Italia-jin, Italian in Italian & English), Iceland (Iceland-jin, Íslendingar in Icelandic, Icelander in English), or geinō (geinō-jin, performer in English).
It's like I said before. Jin just refers to a people or person. It does not necessarily need an English-language equivalent. English does not work the same way as Japanese. Additionally, "Saiyajin" is not a nationality in the stricter sense. It's a race. Your examples include Italia and Iceland, two countries, plus an occupation.

linkdude20002001 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 9:45 pm The pronunciation of the "Saiya" part of "Saiyan" is important to get correct, or else you lose the connectability to the Japanese word "yasai", thus defeating the point of the naming scheme. YOU might not get the reference, but that doesn't mean it should be purposefully removed. Then NO-one gets the reference.
You've already lost the connection to the Japanese word by adapting "Saiya-jin" to "Saiyan". A Japanese pronunciation by that point is only forced and awkward. Sticking a consonant onto the end of saiya is no substitute for jin in this case, and ultimately signifies that this is an all-new word to be pronounced within an English or Western context.

Additionally, the point of the naming scheme is meaningless if the dub itself don't care much about naming schemes to begin with. If so, then the pronunciations mean even less.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed May 13, 2020 9:40 am

MyVisionity wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 10:40 pm
linkdude20002001 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 9:45 pm The pronunciation of the "Saiya" part of "Saiyan" is important to get correct, or else you lose the connectability to the Japanese word "yasai", thus defeating the point of the naming scheme. YOU might not get the reference, but that doesn't mean it should be purposefully removed. Then NO-one gets the reference.
You've already lost the connection to the Japanese word by adapting "Saiya-jin" to "Saiyan". A Japanese pronunciation by that point is only forced and awkward. Sticking a consonant onto the end of saiya is no substitute for jin in this case, and ultimately signifies that this is an all-new word to be pronounced within an English or Western context.

Additionally, the point of the naming scheme is meaningless if the dub itself don't care much about naming schemes to begin with. If so, then the pronunciations mean even less.
Even if you don't put any stock in the idea of trying to render the original pronunciation etc., an argument could be made for the fact that pronouncing it as "Seiyans" is weird and dumb when it's spelled as "Saiyans". Much like how we have Kaio/King Kai, Kaioken (which Funi also got wrong for a while), Dragon Ball Kai, Kaioshin/Supreme Kai... It's not King Kei, or Dragon Ball Kei, or Keiyoken (at least, not anymore)... So why is it still Seiyan?

As for the dub itself not caring... The dub not caring about naming schemes is just a further layer of badness/wrongness, not a reason why this particular layer of wrongness is actually fine, or otherwise not so bad. And I'd argue invoking it is just whataboutism.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed May 13, 2020 4:45 pm

I'm not sure how the incorrect pronunciations came about, honestly. If someone were translating the scripts, then they should've had some linguistics knowledge and they'd know that there's no way that "Saiya" was pronounced as "Saya". Japanese is pretty consistent with its vowel sounds and if you have an elementary grasp of the character pronunciations, you can read every word as it was intended to be. I'd also like to point out that no other language (that I know of) seemed to have an issue with pronouncing it.

I'll go the other way and not say that Funimation was ignorant in its adaptation of the word. I think it just sounds more "American" as "Say-an". Especially when thinking that "Saiyan" and "Kaio-ken" would appear on posters and merchandise that would be exposed to a casual audience than established fans. I mean, if it was your first time seeing the word "Saiyan", how would you pronounce it? I feel like these decisions had something to do with marketing and Americanization.

Yes, it's obvious that the names and terms are not natively English, but they've done a good job in making the names roll off the tongue easily for an English-speaker (Krillin, Tien, etc.).

I'm not saying that they did the right thing or that they did it wrong, I'm just giving them more credit than just ignorance.

With regard to the change from "K.O. ken", I think that Chris Sabat had a lot to do with that, as he does tend to be the director for the Dragon Ball projects and here seems to be rather "in-tune" with the fans.

I will give Funimation the benefit of the doubt and say that at least with Kai, they wanted to give a much more faithful representation of the series, but so many people were attached to the old dub, that they couldn't escape the marketing of a "Spirit Bomb", "Destructo Disc", "Special Beam Cannon", and so on. And now that Toei basically put out a mandate that their official English merchandise must contain dubisms, it further shows to me that it's likely a marketing thing. So, "Say-an" is stayin'.

One fantastic way to avoid any of these issues is to exclusively refer to the Japanese version.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed May 13, 2020 4:47 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 4:45 pm I'm not sure how the incorrect pronunciations came about, honestly.
Almost certainly it was Barry Watson.
TheGreatness25 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 4:45 pm One fantastic way to avoid any of these issues is to exclusively refer to the Japanese version.
:thumbup:
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Wed May 13, 2020 4:55 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 9:40 am Even if you don't put any stock in the idea of trying to render the original pronunciation etc., an argument could be made for the fact that pronouncing it as "Seiyans" is weird and dumb when it's spelled as "Saiyans". Much like how we have Kaio/King Kai, Kaioken (which Funi also got wrong for a while), Dragon Ball Kai, Kaioshin/Supreme Kai... It's not King Kei, or Dragon Ball Kei, or Keiyoken (at least, not anymore)... So why is it still Seiyan?
True. I can't really defend the pronunciation based on the spelling. Maybe they just thought it sounded better. They probably don't have much of an excuse with Kaioken, considering how they were pronouncing King Kai.
Robo4900 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 9:40 am As for the dub itself not caring... The dub not caring about naming schemes is just a further layer of badness/wrongness, not a reason why this particular layer of wrongness is actually fine, or otherwise not so bad. And I'd argue invoking it is just whataboutism.
The only reason I commented on it was because linkdude20002001 mentioned "defeating the point of the naming scheme" in his post. I get it, but that doesn't change the significance of the dub not caring with regards to this case.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed May 13, 2020 4:56 pm

I can certainly buy that Chris Sabat had a say in “Kaioken” being pronounced correctly. In fact, that’s probably what it was. You even had Vegeta pronouncing it correctly in the UUE dub.