Does anyone else feel that much of the DB fandom enforces low standards?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Does anyone else feel that much of the DB fandom enforces low standards?

Post by ABED » Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:18 pm

How was it out of character? The second episode is weird because it's like it never happened but it is well within vegeta's character to beat the hell out of a child. The problem isn't that's out of character it's that the next episode shows that the events of the last episode didn't happen. It's jarring but people move on.
Adamant wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:57 pm And millions of people DID know what was coming up when they first saw that scene.
Which was?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:27 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:18 pm
Adamant wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:57 pm And millions of people DID know what was coming up when they first saw that scene.
Which was?
...the scene where Vegeta suggests wishing everyone's souls to Earth and THEN reviving them in order to get around the issue of there no longer being a Nameck they can be revived on, and admitting to himself that he wants Goku revived so he can battle and defeat him to prove his superiority.

In the anime that scene is in the very next episode (I think) and is so impossible to make work with how Vegeta acted in that filler scene Toei doesn't even try. And if you were already familiar with the manga when you watched that episode, you KNEW that Vegeta's initial filler reaction to Goku's death is absurdly at odds with with how he reacts in a manga scene that's just a couple pages away from the point in the manga the anime had currently reached at that point.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:37 pm

Adamant wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:27 pm
ABED wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:18 pm
Which was?
...the scene where Vegeta suggests wishing everyone's souls to Earth and THEN reviving them in order to get around the issue of there no longer being a Nameck they can be revived on, and admitting to himself that he wants Goku revived so he can battle and defeat him to prove his superiority.

In the anime that scene is in the very next episode (I think) and is so impossible to make work with how Vegeta acted in that filler scene Toei doesn't even try. And if you were already familiar with the manga when you watched that episode, you KNEW that Vegeta's initial filler reaction to Goku's death is absurdly at odds with with how he reacts in a manga scene that's just a couple pages away from the point in the manga the anime had currently reached at that point.
Neither scene is out of character. The issue is in context the transition is jarring.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:48 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:37 pm
Adamant wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:27 pm
ABED wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:18 pm Which was?

Neither scene is out of character. The issue is in context the transition is jarring.
The filler scene is out of character with what Vegeta is supposed to be like at this point. It just doesn't feel out of character to an anime-only viewer because they wouldn't really be aware of what he's supposed to be like at this point. Someone who's familiar with the manga and the content of the scene that's just a few pages away WOULD be aware and WOULD react to that filler scene's content
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:53 pm

Adamant wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:48 pmIt just doesn't feel out of character to an anime-only viewer because they wouldn't really be aware of what he's supposed to be like at this point.
It was for me, as it just didn't feel right for him at that point. It was something I'd expect to see from his pre-death self.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:09 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:53 pm
Adamant wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:48 pmIt just doesn't feel out of character to an anime-only viewer because they wouldn't really be aware of what he's supposed to be like at this point.
It was for me, as it just didn't feel right for him at that point. It was something I'd expect to see from his pre-death self.
Right. As I said earlier,
Adamant wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:57 pm I don't know how anime-only people reacted to that Vegeta scene.
Should've just kept phrasing it like that, I guess.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:22 pm

Forget that there was source material. It's not relevant to the issue. The reason people are reacting to the scene isn't because they know what's coming it's because it's clear that the left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing. I know plenty of people who weren't as in the know as I was and they all saw how weird those episodes were. You don't have to know anything about the manga to feel how off it was. Gohan was just almost beaten to death and Gohan's acting cordial with Vegeta? Vegeta flew off at the end of the last episode and now he's on the ground and no one thinks that's weird. Both episodes are valid aftermaths but not right after the other.

I don't know how that happens or how Japanese shows are written but maybe they aren't written in a writers room w/ a showrunner.
Last edited by ABED on Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:30 pm

Geekdom just put out an interesting video about how DB has evolved over the years. I think anyone interested in knowing why things are different now, or why people say they're different should check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzacwXm-NLM

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:32 pm

No youtube videos. I welcome educated perspectives drawn from a deep well of knowledge of things like culture, genre, film history, etc. but these videos are usually not.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:42 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:32 pmNo youtube videos.

I welcome educated perspectives, but these videos are usually not.
I wasn't asking your permission.

Geekdom is one of the more educated individuals in the fandom, so if there's anyone to get an educated perspective from, it's him.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:53 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:42 pm
ABED wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:32 pmNo youtube videos.

I welcome educated perspectives, but these videos are usually not.
I wasn't asking your permission.

Geekdom is one of the more educated individuals in the fandom, so if there's anyone to get an educated perspective from, it's him.
No he's not. Reading shit off the net doesn't make one educated.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:00 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:53 pmNo he's not.

Reading shit off the net doesn't make one educated.
Throwing rocks from a glass house is never a good idea.

Neither does arguing in circles for no good reason.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:01 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:30 pm Geekdom just put out an interesting video about how DB has evolved over the years. I think anyone interested in knowing why things are different now, or why people say they're different should check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzacwXm-NLM
What I wrote 7 pages ago:
Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:10 pm
Matches Malone wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:31 am
ABED wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:33 amEveryone, please everyone stop posting to obnoxious Youtube videos to do your talking for you. That's not an argument.
I personally rarely do this, but I think it's a video worth seeing, as it says so much about modern "fans".
Or instead or just doing "watch this video", why not transcribing the argument made in the video instead (not an exact word for word)? Something like:

"Argument........
Argument........

Argument........
Argument........
"

Source: [video link]
Wikipedia contributors do better than this.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:05 pm

I would say it's obvious Super will go past the End of Z eventually. Uub was mentioned during the ToP arc, and the writers are not stupid, they don't do things randomly. If Uub of all people is mentioned in the middle of a completely unrelated arc, then it's clear the writers are setting something up. It's not a matter of if, but when (after Moro arc?).

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:06 pm

i don't really see how vegeta in those scenes isn't out of character, he's not a cackling super villian at that point, and i don't think he would ever be happy about goku dying without him being involved. i like those scenes because of horikawa's performance (i love him in saiyan arc and that's like the last time he captures that type of performance in the original series), but it's kinda one of the worst example of filler. out of character, no regard on how to integrate it into the story, and completely forgotten about by the end of the episode, so it ultimately serves literally no purpose. it's kinda like the gohan vs freeza stuff from a few episodes before, sure i like it bc i'm a fangirl for gohan, but it literally just exists to exist, it furthers nothing.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:14 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:00 pm
ABED wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:53 pmNo he's not.

Reading shit off the net doesn't make one educated.
Throwing rocks from a glass house is never a good idea.

Neither does arguing in circles for no good reason.
Hopefully you realize that same argument applies to you, especially that last sentence. Also, I'm constantly trying to learn and I have a pretty good idea where the blindspots in my knowledge are. Also, I'm not posting youtube videos claiming to have any authority on the subject. I would rather talk to people who have a knowledge of Japanese culture and the types of tropes Toriyama was lovingly lampooning, certainly moreso than post something on youtube like I'm an authority on the subject when all apparently all I've done is read a few articles on wikipedia or Kanzenshuu.
Soppa Saia People wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:06 pm i don't really see how vegeta in those scenes isn't out of character, he's not a cackling super villian at that point, and i don't think he would ever be happy about goku dying without him being involved.
He isn't a cackling supervillain. He's taking a moment to appreciate that the biggest impediment to his desire to be the strongest is gone and he didn't even have to lift a finger. He hasn't developed his all consuming obsession with Goku quite yet.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:52 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:14 pmHe hasn't developed his all consuming obsession with Goku quite yet.
In the very next manga scene he's in he literally admits he wants Goku revived so he can defeat him.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:11 pm

Adamant wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:52 pm
ABED wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:14 pmHe hasn't developed his all consuming obsession with Goku quite yet.
In the very next manga scene he's in he literally admits he wants Goku revived so he can defeat him.
I stand by the statement that it's not yet all consuming. Wanting to topple the king of the mountain is not nearly the same as developing an all consuming hatred for them.

I can easily imagine Vegeta having both reactions. Haven't you ever had an immediate reaction to something then paused for a second to reflect and then react differently?

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:45 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:22 pm Gohan was just almost beaten to death and Gohan's acting cordial with Vegeta? Vegeta flew off at the end of the last episode and now he's on the ground and no one thinks that's weird.
I don't think Gohan's attitude was unusual. These guys are beaten up all the time so it's not a huge deal. I think it fits Gohan's personality, plus Vegeta had just helped them out with the wishes.

As for Vegeta flying off, I just assumed that he came back sometime later after cooling down. Why would anyone have a problem with it?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:06 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:45 pm
ABED wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:22 pm Gohan was just almost beaten to death and Gohan's acting cordial with Vegeta? Vegeta flew off at the end of the last episode and now he's on the ground and no one thinks that's weird.
I don't think Gohan's attitude was unusual. These guys are beaten up all the time so it's not a huge deal. I think it fits Gohan's personality, plus Vegeta had just helped them out with the wishes.

As for Vegeta flying off, I just assumed that he came back sometime later after cooling down. Why would anyone have a problem with it?
I don't buy that for a second. He just got beaten almost to death and minutes later he's telling him thank you? What moment can you point to where Gohan reacts similarly?

Why wouldn't they have a problem with him? He just gloated and nearly beat a child to death. Now they're acting like nothing happened.