"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by precita » Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:03 pm

The Moro arc in anime form could be done in a 13 episode season arc, I imagine.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:37 pm

precita wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:03 pmThe Moro arc in anime form could be done in a 13 episode season arc, I imagine.
That seems to short, things will just be rushed. Each chapter is the equivalent of 3 weekly ones, so with 24 monthly chapters, that's the equivalent of 72 weekly ones. With 13 episodes, that would be 5.5 chapters per episode, which is way too much. I think 26 episodes would be the perfect length for it.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:52 pm

True, but maybe even 50 episodes or so could happen if we get a lot of slice of life fillers or training eps in the middle like we had in the past. I also imagine since Super had a long break, if it comes back we'll have a slow "reintroduction" to the characters where they'll spend the first 5+ or whatever eps just getting us back up to speed with the cast before adapting the first new chapter of the manga.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:32 am

Not having merchandising for Moro arc is normal. It's like that for other series too. Doesn't matter if it's going on for 2 or 5 years, it's only when story arcs get animated and reach a wider audience that companies go hard with the merchandising.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:51 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:31 am I'm pretty sure all Dragon Ball videogames (at least all modern ones like Xenoverse 2 and Fighterz) use exclusively the anime version of existing characters (so not counting Mira, Towa, Fu, etc.), because they are much more popular and iconic. So for example Fused Zamasu in Fighterz doesn't use katchin blocks or dimensional portals, but the Halo and all related techniques (like Blades of Judgement). So maybe these videogames are just waiting for an anime adaptation of the Moro arc, since I'm sure the anime will change or give Moro a lot of new techniques.
Dokkan Battle uses the Dragon Ball manga except for Super. Even then, they do have a Merged Zamasu who uses his teleport punches. Roshi in FighterZ also implied he fought Jiren.

But you have to remember that anime was over a year ahead of the manga, so sources not using the manga for Super isn’t odd. What is odd is how something like Heroes pretends the manga pretends the manga doesn’t exist outside a few nods like Hakai Goku.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:00 pm

Skar wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:10 am My ideal version of DBS would be ignoring both continuities and making a new, shorter anime that is more faithful to Toriyama's outlines. No new transformations that Toriyama didn't come up with himself or extra padding that doesn't move the plot forward since they'll likely be ignored by him in his next outline anyway. Just adapting the outline and only adding what's necessary. I know this is unlikely but I've seen a few fan recuts and enjoyed them more than the actual anime or manga. If a fan could do that imagine what a professional company could achieve.
Except Toriyama himself don’t want people to follow his outline to the point he told Toyo to be more creative. Only ‘hardcore’ fans gives a damn about what is exactly is an outline that no one here has seen, yet is treated like the Bible. Even the fan recuts are making assumptions about the outline.
Matches Malone wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:23 am
ChronoTwigger wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:36 pm If the Moro arc will be just a self contained episode...
Goku mastered UI here. I don't see how that counts as a self contained story. I think it's more of "I don't like it, so surely it'll be ignored", which is just wishful thinking.
The issue is, UI in the anime doesn’t work like the manga. Namely, Goku in the anime knows how to compare UI since that was the entire point of Epsoide 129 and Whis’ speech. His issue is turning it on, something he never done by will in the anime. So unlike manga Goku, once Goku learns to turn UI at will, he shouldn’t be stuck in Sign and needing to see Merus die since UI was never about emotions in the anime.

The only way this would work is for the anime to rewrite UI to force it work like manga, which makes little sense when the anime version is way, way more popular than manga and predates the manga version by nearly a year. Especially when the anime staff was the one that created Signs to begin with that Toyo and adapted and changed.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

BagetaSama
Beyond Newbie

Post by BagetaSama » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:07 am

precita wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:52 pm True, but maybe even 50 episodes or so could happen if we get a lot of slice of life fillers or training eps in the middle like we had in the past. I also imagine since Super had a long break, if it comes back we'll have a slow "reintroduction" to the characters where they'll spend the first 5+ or whatever eps just getting us back up to speed with the cast before adapting the first new chapter of the manga.
I don't think there's any guarantee it would become an outright manga adaptation. I would imagine that it could and would change things like it has been doing thus far, where the manga and anime have discrepancies.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:17 am

HeroR wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:00 pmExcept Toriyama himself don’t want people to follow his outline to the point he told Toyo to be more creative. Only ‘hardcore’ fans gives a damn about what is exactly is an outline that no one here has seen, yet is treated like the Bible. Even the fan recuts are making assumptions about the outline.
Encouraging them to add to his outlines isn't the same as him taking any of it into consideration later. Toriyama ignored anime and manga only additions in DBS: Broly and general fans didn't seem to complain. The recuts are making assumptions about what's in the outlines but anything that doesn't move the story along and could be cut without noticing a difference most likely wasn't from Toriyama.

The highest rated seasonal anime cover several volumes in a cour with good pacing so a few page outline doesn't need this many episodes. Sure these other anime could add more filler but I couldn't say it benefits the story if they're adding content that they know will most likely ignored by the author.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:54 am

We need a writer(s) that actually CARES about the story of Dragon Ball. Wether it is a Mangaka like Toyotaro and Toriyama, or the Toei animation team.. So far it seems that Toyotaro ENJOYS working on the story of Super, since he started out as a FAN himself of the story as a Kid he stated. So Dragon Ball (will in all likelihood) continue AT LEAST in Manga form.. I think it’s possible that the Anime won’t come back for quite a few years.. But EVENTUALLY, it WILL. But the Manga seems to be a keeper... A continuer.. Don’t you think?

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:40 am

GodVegetto91 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:54 amI think it’s possible that the Anime won’t come back for quite a few years.. But EVENTUALLY, it WILL. But the Manga seems to be a keeper... A continuer.. Don’t you think?
I definitely agree with this. It seems like the manga will continue in V-Jump as long as Toriyama and Toyotaro are willing to work on it. This will give them a nice build up of arcs to adapt whenever they decide to bring the anime back. I think the movie that got green lit last year has priority of the series, so we shouldn't expect anything before that's out. If that's to release next December for example, I expect the next manga arc to be shorter in order to lead into it. That way when Super returns it'll be able to adapt Broly, Moro, the next arc, the next movie, etc. By the time they're done adapting the next movie, Toyotaro will have finished a 3rd arc that'll be ready for adaption as well.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:27 am

Matches Malone wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:40 am
GodVegetto91 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:54 amI think it’s possible that the Anime won’t come back for quite a few years.. But EVENTUALLY, it WILL. But the Manga seems to be a keeper... A continuer.. Don’t you think?
I definitely agree with this. It seems like the manga will continue in V-Jump as long as Toriyama and Toyotaro are willing to work on it. This will give them a nice build up of arcs to adapt whenever they decide to bring the anime back. I think the movie that got green lit last year has priority of the series, so we shouldn't expect anything before that's out. If that's to release next December for example, I expect the next manga arc to be shorter in order to lead into it. That way when Super returns it'll be able to adapt Broly, Moro, the next arc, the next movie, etc. By the time they're done adapting the next movie, Toyotaro will have finished a 3rd arc that'll be ready for adaption as well.
Exactly my thoughts! I do believe they are already working on the Anime as we speak, (because of some insider quotes/leaks) but they are definitely taking their sweet damn time (and they should) I believe they want to get better animation this time around, especially for the Broly Arc, And ofcourse the most popular theory is that they are going to follow Toyotaro’s manga from now on as a base to adapt, rather than Toriyama sending a script to both separate entities, thus allowing for different interpretations of the events, thus resulting in different products and thus resulting in a very low level of consistency. So if Toei simply adapts the manga, the anime will be much closer to it and much more consistent, + it would explain why it takes so long for the Anime to return now. It’s a win win.

By the time the Broly Arc has ended in the Anime (and we don’t even know WHEN it will appear) Toyotaro will be far further into the story, possibly a couple of arcs further if they’re shorter).

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:31 am

GodVegetto91 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:27 amSo if Toei simply adapts the manga, the anime will be much closer to it and much more consistent, + it would explain why it takes so long for the Anime to return now. It’s a win win.
Here's a crazy idea for you, what do you think are the chances of Toei adapting his manga from the Champa arc instead ? In order to not only buy time for more new arcs to be written, but also to have a consistent animated adaption of them. I know it probably won't happen, but with Dragon quest, hunet x hunter, shaman king, etc. getting newly adaptions despite older ones existing, I don't think it's completely impossible.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:43 am

Matches Malone wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:31 am
GodVegetto91 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:27 amSo if Toei simply adapts the manga, the anime will be much closer to it and much more consistent, + it would explain why it takes so long for the Anime to return now. It’s a win win.
Here's a crazy idea for you, what do you think are the chances of Toei adapting his manga from the Champa arc instead ? In order to not only buy time for more new arcs to be written, but also to have a consistent animated adaption of them. I know it probably won't happen, but with Dragon quest, hunet x hunter, shaman king, etc. getting newly adaptions despite older ones existing, I don't think it's completely impossible.
I would be very opposed to that.. The Anime was great as it was, and should just be left alone. Sure, it had obvious problems, but they should’ve just been responsible when they made it. Now it’s too late.

But starting with Broly.. I’m 100% for it!😀

But I’m 99.99% certain that won’t happen.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:45 am

GodVegetto91 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:43 amStarting with Broly.. I’m 100% for it!😀 But I’m 99.99% certain that won’t happen.
I think Broly getting a series version is pretty much a given at this point. I don't see why they'd adapt BOG and RF but skip Broly of all things.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:49 am

Matches Malone wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:45 am
GodVegetto91 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:43 amStarting with Broly.. I’m 100% for it!😀 But I’m 99.99% certain that won’t happen.
I think Broly getting a series version is pretty much a given at this point. I don't see why they'd adapt BOG and RF but skip Broly of all things.
I think you misunderstood me.

I meant the Champa Arc would never get a re adaptation🙂

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:26 pm

Skar wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:17 am
HeroR wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:00 pmExcept Toriyama himself don’t want people to follow his outline to the point he told Toyo to be more creative. Only ‘hardcore’ fans gives a damn about what is exactly is an outline that no one here has seen, yet is treated like the Bible. Even the fan recuts are making assumptions about the outline.
Encouraging them to add to his outlines isn't the same as him taking any of it into consideration later. Toriyama ignored anime and manga only additions in DBS: Broly and general fans didn't seem to complain. The recuts are making assumptions about what's in the outlines but anything that doesn't move the story along and could be cut without noticing a difference most likely wasn't from Toriyama.

The highest rated seasonal anime cover several volumes in a cour with good pacing so a few page outline doesn't need this many episodes. Sure these other anime could add more filler but I couldn't say it benefits the story if they're adding content that they know will most likely ignored by the author.
Most of what he ignored happened because the Broly movie was written at the same time as the TOP, which is where a lot of the newer forms came from outside of Blue Kaioken.

And, "but anything that doesn't move the story along and could be cut without noticing a difference most likely wasn't from Toriyama", is a fallacy since we know Sign came from the anime staff, not Toriyama, yet it moved the story forward. And you're talking about seasonal anime that covers a manga, not a outline that none of us have seen so we don't know what in it. As far as we know, Toriyama's outline could be half a page of disconnected plot points like this:

-Goku asked Zeno for a tournament
- Zeno agrees and was going to erased eight universe with bad mortal ratings
- Goku recruits Freeza since Buu fell asleep
- U7 loses in this order
- Goku get a new form and fight Jiren, loses the form, and he rings out Jiren with Freeza and 17 wins.
-17 wishes back universes

Keep in mind, Toriyama is the same man who put Toppo, Dyspo, and Jiren in similar uniform with no explanation and didn't bother to give anyone but Jiren personalities.
Kanassa wrote:

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:31 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:45 am
Battle of Gods and Resurrection 'F' were adapted because they were technically Dragon Ball Z movies and the retellings made key changes that better fit Super like Beerus not saying he was using 70% of his power against Super Saiyan God Goku, mentioning the Namekian Book of Legends, and showing Goku and Vegeta training with Whis and how they became his students.
Kanassa wrote:

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:57 pm

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:22 pm

HeroR wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:26 pmMost of what he ignored happened because the Broly movie was written at the same time as the TOP, which is where a lot of the newer forms came from outside of Blue Kaioken.
Manga or anime exclusive forms ignored in Broly were Completed Blue, Kaioken, and Evolution and only the last was introduced in the ToP. What else did you mean? Gogeta said Freeza was dead for a while so he missed out on fusion but the anime had him meet Gotenks back in the RoF arc. I'm not sure what the explanation would be besides either Toriyama was unaware of that or didn't take it into consideration because he didn't include Gotenks in his version of the arc.
And, "but anything that doesn't move the story along and could be cut without noticing a difference most likely wasn't from Toriyama", is a fallacy since we know Sign came from the anime staff, not Toriyama, yet it moved the story forward. And you're talking about seasonal anime that covers a manga, not a outline that none of us have seen so we don't know what in it. As far as we know, Toriyama's outline could be half a page of disconnected plot points like this
I think you misinterpreted my point. Of course, I don't mean literally every scene Toei or Toyotaro adds themselves could be removed since some of it is necessary to complete the outline. I'm talking about the scenes they add that easily could be cut out without affecting the story or feel that anything is missing. The exhibition match and recruitment alone were almost longer than every previous arc in DBS and only a few episodes shorter than most seasonal anime. If the outline is that short, why would it need more episodes to cover than an anime adapting several volumes of a manga?

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:06 pm

HeroR wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:31 pmBattle of Gods and Resurrection 'F' were adapted because they were technically Dragon Ball Z movies.
They're modern DB movies, it doesn't matter what name they were released under.