Most overused Dragon Ball truisms?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Most overused Dragon Ball truisms?

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:25 am

Truism -- A statement that's obviously true but doesn't contribute anything new or insightful.

For me, if I see the phrase "GT had good ideas but bad execution" (or even "Super had bad ideas but bad execution") one more time, I'm gonna willingly join the Para Para cheer squad, or urinate in a pudding cup right in front of Lord Beerus.

I joke, but I do feel that these kinds of statements are starting to get a little overused and annoying, even if they are right. What recurring phrases used by the Dragon Ball fanbase get your goat?

Zestanor
Regular

Re: Most overused Dragon Ball truisms?

Post by Zestanor » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:08 pm

Goku isn’t Superman and I dunno if this counts but when people make an argument and then appeal to some other piece of unrelated media as though that in any way helps their case. E.g. Vegeta sacrificing himself is actually so-and-so, like in Braveheart. Uh, no one asked about Braveheart lol.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:24 pm

Zestanor wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:08 pm Goku isn’t Superman and I dunno if this counts but when people make an argument and then appeal to some other piece of unrelated media as though that in any way helps their case. E.g. Vegeta sacrificing himself is actually so-and-so, like in Braveheart. Uh, no one asked about Braveheart lol.
It is a shorthand. Your point makes ZERO sense. The other media doesn’t have to be related. The point is to use an example the helps illustrate something so the other posters can understand
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:46 pm

GT (or anything besides the original manga) is non canon.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:16 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:46 pm GT (or anything besides the original manga) is non canon.
Yeah, it is baffling that people still say this like it's some grand revelation.

Here's another one (if this offends anyone it describes, I preemptively apologise), but the propping up of Battle of Gods as a flawless gem in the rough that is modern Dragon Ball. I love that film and it is much better than most modern DB content, but I have to admit that it's flawed. Quite seriously so in many areas. I discussed in another thread that after rewatching it recently, I realised that it really hasn't aged well in many aspects. Generally mediocre tier art/animation, terrible sound design, bad pacing, an uninspired set-up (the entire cast gather for a party at a luxury villa only for a powerful alien threat to randomly interrupt and later become friends with the gang -- Yo Son Goku and Friends Return's on the phone). Still a really good movie overall, especially by DB standards, but in many places it suffers from those dreaded "execution" issues everyone applies to GT and Super.

JewyB
Beyond Newbie

Post by JewyB » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:44 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:16 pm
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:46 pm GT (or anything besides the original manga) is non canon.
Yeah, it is baffling that people still say this like it's some grand revelation.
Its unfortunate but it does need clarifying more often then not.

Some people adamantly insist that GT is canon and i think people are more tired about having to restate it than they are about having to hear it.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:06 pm

JewyB wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:44 pm

Some people adamantly insist that GT is canon and i think people are more tired about having to restate it than they are about having to hear it.
I mean... I tend to see more people abruptly bring it into unrelated conversations that have zero bearing on the show's canonicity or lack thereof. That's just my experience. I don't see many diehard GT canon defenders hanging around these days. The only scenario where I would see it as necessary to correct them is if they expect to incorporate GT-exclusive elements into the current direction of the franchise. But I think the vast majority of GT fans have got the message at this point. Otherwise, let 'em take it as canon if they want, there's no reason why they can't.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:21 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:06 pm
JewyB wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:44 pm

I mean... I tend to see more people abruptly bring it into unrelated conversations that have zero bearing on the show's canonicity or lack thereof. That's just my experience. I don't see many diehard GT canon defenders hanging around these days. The only scenario where I would see it as necessary to correct them is if they expect to incorporate GT-exclusive elements into the current direction of the franchise. But I think the vast majority of GT fans have got the message at this point. Otherwise, let 'em take it as canon if they want, there's no reason why they can't.
Other than it's not canon, not that canon should matter.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:52 pm

Power levels and power scaling aren't everything.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:10 am

A lot of people just tend to obsess over what is and isn't canon. A lot of the time it's to validate why one installment of the series is good and something else isn't when in reality it's not all that important at all. World's Strongest is a non canon movie, but it's still a great movie with lots of great fights and hand to hand combat.
Polyphase Avatron wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:52 pm Power levels and power scaling aren't everything.
Agreed on power levels. They serve very little to the story overall. Power scaling is a problem later on in the series, Freeza's four months of training making him on par with even Buu arc Gohan comes to mind, definitely the biggest flaw with Resurrection F.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:27 am

“Funimation’s Z dub is inaccurate”

There’s nothing really new that can be said but people love bringing it up for the billionth time

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:42 am

Dbzfan94 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:27 am “Funimation’s Z dub is inaccurate”

There’s nothing really new that can be said but people love bringing it up for the billionth time

To be fair their Dragon Ball and GT dub are also inaccurate so no need for people to single out Z

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:50 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:42 am
Dbzfan94 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:27 am “Funimation’s Z dub is inaccurate”

To be fair their Dragon Ball and GT dub are also inaccurate so no need for people to single out Z
I used Z because thats what people point to most, but the point still stands. It's been beaten to death a decade ago.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:29 pm

I hardly see people bring up “umm excuse me sir FUNimation's English dub is inaccurate” as an irrelevant-to-the-topic-being-discussed statement compared to the extreme ubiquity of completely unnecessary "btw GT isn't a cannon" insertions.

(I think certain people *just don’t like being reminded of that* regarding their dub when it in fact genuinely answers a content or historical question being asked.)

I could just think silently to myself that I like the slow BGM adaptation of "Hitorijanai" and a random fan would crash through my window to "umm actually" remind me GT isn’t canonical.

Excuse me, there’s some broken glass I need to clean up.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:59 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:29 pm I hardly see people bring up “umm excuse me sir FUNimation's English dub is inaccurate” as an irrelevant-to-the-topic-being-discussed statement compared to the extreme ubiquity of completely unnecessary "btw GT isn't a cannon" insertions.

(I think certain people *just don’t like being reminded of that* regarding their dub when it in fact genuinely answers a content or historical question being asked.)

I could just think silently to myself that I like the slow BGM adaptation of "Hitorijanai" and a random fan would crash through my window to "umm actually" remind me GT isn’t canonical.

The GTNCCTPD (GT Non-Canonical Corrective Thought Police Department) is always listening...

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:33 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:29 pm I hardly see people bring up “umm excuse me sir FUNimation's English dub is inaccurate” as an irrelevant-to-the-topic-being-discussed statement compared to the extreme ubiquity of completely unnecessary "btw GT isn't a cannon" insertions.

The topic is overused things people say that while true doesn’t offer anything new. Which is exactly the case for criticisms of the old dub. I don’t see the argument you’re trying to make. There’s nothing really new that can be said, it’s just the same things over and over since 1999. Dislike the dub all you want, but that doesn’t mean it doesnt get tiring to hear about.

But I agree in terms of the “GT non canon” crap.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:15 pm

I think it's important to remember there are new fans of DB all the time so it's not necessarily the same people having the discussion about how awful the dub was.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:07 am

The dub does have its charm and verges into 'so bad it's good' territory quite a lot.

I find memes like 'Bardock was a brilliant scientist' endlessly amusing.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

UI Peter
Banned Alternate Account

Post by UI Peter » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:52 am

"Dragonball is a kids series"

"Goku is not Superman"

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:27 am

UI Peter wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:52 am"Dragonball is a kids series"
This can be used in two ways. The first being a way to dismiss any criticism fans have with the franchise (mostly super), which I don't agree with. The second is to point out that DB is a kids series just as much as it it's for everyone, as in a franchise made to be enjoyed by all age groups, like star wars, harry potter, marvel, dc, etc.
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:10 amA lot of people just tend to obsess over what is and isn't canon. A lot of the time it's to validate why one installment of the series is good and something else isn't when in reality it's not all that important at all.
The term "canon" has nothing to do with what's good or bad, it's just a way of showing what is being taken into account and what isn't. I never understood why this term has been so misused over the years.
LoganForkHands73 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:16 pmThe propping up of Battle of Gods as a flawless gem in the rough that is modern Dragon Ball. I love that film and it is much better than most modern DB content, but I have to admit that it's flawed.
I'm definitely someone who holds that movie in a very high place within the franchise, but I do agree it's not perfect. There's the awkward CGI, Pilaf's gang getting too much screen time, the method used to reach Ssjg, Yamamoro's modern designs, etc... Despite that though, it's by far the best thing to come out of this revival.