To those who think Goku doesn’t care about Chi Chi, why didn’t he offer her to the old Kaioshin?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: To those who think Goku doesn’t care about Chi Chi, why didn’t he offer her to the old Kaioshin?

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:43 am

ZeroNeonix wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:50 am
Cursed Lemon wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:35 am I'm pretty sure people say he doesn't care about Chi Chi because he's a dense motherfucker who never says "I love you", never helps with household errands, and never spends time with her. He's the Homer Simpson of Dragon Ball except worse. lol
Also, according to Toriyama, romance isn't a common concern for Saiyans. They tend to mate for practical reasons, then stick the baby in a tube so they don't have to spend too much time parenting. Ironically, despite Goku growing up on Earth, Vegeta seems more human in that regard. Then again, Goku did grow up with a hermit and didn't even know what a girl was until one ran him over.

I'm sure Goku cares about Chichi, but I think it's more of a friendship type of thing in his head. I mean, when he agreed to marry Chichi, he didn't even know what marriage was, so it's not like he did it because he couldn't live without her. He barely even visits his granddaughter. If they're not old enough to train, he doesn't know what to do with them. lol
I think the key difference between Bulma & Vegeta and Goku & Chi-Chi is the former relationship was born out of actual mutual feelings - sure, mostly lust that then became love, but still. Whereas Goku and Chi-Chi was a complete fluke that only happened because of Goku's faulty earnestness.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Re: To those who think Goku doesn’t care about Chi Chi, why didn’t he offer her to the old Kaioshin?

Post by Cursed Lemon » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:15 pm

nickzambuto wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:51 pm Hold up.

Goku gathers all the firewood.
Goku does all the hunting and fishing.
Goku does all the farm work.
Goku is shown driving his family to the city so Chichi can shop.

How does Goku not help out with household errands? You can say a lot about the dude but he isn’t lazy.

Vegeta is the one who thinks he’s too good to help around the house and he refused to carry any bags for Trunks and Bulma (LMAO). Goku is too nice to be that way, he always offers to help people and we see him carrying Chichi’s bags in one of the movies.

And never spends time with her? They live alone in the woods for decades. Goku goes home every night unless he’s dead.
Goku gets firewood and hunts because it's an opportunity to punch something. He was extremely reluctant to learn how to drive and he clearly conveyed being bored and annoyed with farming, following Chi Chi around while shopping, and, oh I don't know, trying to get Gohan into a good school. He was dead for years and the first thing he wants to do when he comes back (after the literal planet was destroyed) is go live in some remote village and train some kid he met the actual same day.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:23 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:43 amI think the key difference between Bulma & Vegeta and Goku & Chi-Chi is the former relationship was born out of actual mutual feelings - sure, mostly lust that then became love, but still. Whereas Goku and Chi-Chi was a complete fluke that only happened because of Goku's faulty earnestness.
I think that's part of it too. But I think Goku's Saiyan instincts, combined with being raised alone in the middle of nowhere, resulted in Goku being pretty much incapable of being romantic. People complain about the reveal that Goku never kissed Chichi, but it's really not out of character for him. He was designed to be a flawed hero. Agreeing to a marriage, thinking it was a type of food, and then being pressured into following through years later, is absolutely hilarious. Like, I'm sure he likes his wife and children, but they're not his number one priority. That is, and always will be, training and finding stronger and stronger opponents to challenge himself.

As for Vegeta, I love his character growth. He starts off as a deadbeat dad, who wasn't even around for his son's birth. I don't even think they meant to get pregnant, but it happened by complete accident. Their union was based purely on physical attraction. In the Buu arc, he sees Bulma and Trunks as a stumbling block between him and his goal of surpassing Kakarot and becoming number one. But after selling his soul to Babidi, he has a change of heart and does a complete 180, and I love Super for following up on that change. He's one of the few characters Super actually does right, IMO. He puts his family first, choosing being with his wife during her second pregnancy over going to a multiversal tournament of the most powerful fighters, which was a pretty huge thing for him to give up as a battle-obsessed Saiyan. Nowadays, he has this tough outer shell, but a secret soft spot for his wife and kids.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:32 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:23 pm
jjgp1112 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:43 amI think the key difference between Bulma & Vegeta and Goku & Chi-Chi is the former relationship was born out of actual mutual feelings - sure, mostly lust that then became love, but still. Whereas Goku and Chi-Chi was a complete fluke that only happened because of Goku's faulty earnestness.
I think that's part of it too. But I think Goku's Saiyan instincts, combined with being raised alone in the middle of nowhere, resulted in Goku being pretty much incapable of being romantic. People complain about the reveal that Goku never kissed Chichi, but it's really not out of character for him. He was designed to be a flawed hero. Agreeing to a marriage, thinking it was a type of food, and then being pressured into following through years later, is absolutely hilarious. Like, I'm sure he likes his wife and children, but they're not his number one priority. That is, and always will be, training and finding stronger and stronger opponents to challenge himself.
And even after finding out what it was, he didn't see it as anything beyond exactly what Krillin described - a living arrangement. The entire foundation of their marriage is a classic Toriyama gag, and everything we see of it is consistent with that. They have a kid because to Chi-Chi, that's the fulfillment of what the magazines told her is the girl's ultimate dream - snag a husband, get a home, start a family. And she picked the least ideal guy for it who only agreed to it in error and was so stupid-honest he wouldn't go back on his word.
Cold World (Fanfic)

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:20 pm

He did grow to love her though, will Goku ever be the type to buy chocolate and flowers "just because" FUCK NO, BUT like any husband in order to keep his wife he happy and support his family, he'll often do things he might find boring yet at the same time when it comes to his passion he is head strong (as everyman should be) and part of that is why Chichi stays, she likes him for who he is despite not being ideal (Bulma is like that too btw), Vegeta might be a slap or two better than Goku but that's really not saying much.

EDIT: The problem is that there isn't any real consistency with their interactions with each other, Chi-Chi was head over heals for Goku since day once, Goku doesn't completely understand romance but he does view Chi-Chi as a close friend does he hold her higher than Krillin as far as being a friend? Hard to say, I mean in the anime he has a nightmare about Chi-Chi dying that scares the crap outta him, in Super he has his spaz moment against Zamasu and he often reflects to her individually whenever looking for that last push to keep going but at the same time he mentions never kissing her (highly unnecessary). Ultimately, it depends on your own view I guess, but to say he doesn't care about her is foolish.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:09 am

I still have a problem that Goku and Chi Chi have gotten married and had sex at least twice and he doesn't know what kissing is.

Chi Chi was obsessed with marriage and didn't kiss him once?

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:26 am

miguelnuva1 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:09 am I still have a problem that Goku and Chi Chi have gotten married and had sex at least twice and he doesn't know what kissing is.

Modern DB logic. This probably doesn't apply to the original manga, as there's no way they didn't kiss at some point.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:42 am

miguelnuva1 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:09 am I still have a problem that Goku and Chi Chi have gotten married and had sex at least twice and he doesn't know what kissing is.

From what we can tell, they didn't even have a real wedding in the manga. They were considered married from the moment Chi-Chi accepted his "proposal" at the Tournament.
Cold World (Fanfic)

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:55 pm

Cursed Lemon wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:15 pm
nickzambuto wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:51 pm Hold up.

Goku gathers all the firewood.
Goku does all the hunting and fishing.
Goku does all the farm work.
Goku is shown driving his family to the city so Chichi can shop.

How does Goku not help out with household errands? You can say a lot about the dude but he isn’t lazy.

Vegeta is the one who thinks he’s too good to help around the house and he refused to carry any bags for Trunks and Bulma (LMAO). Goku is too nice to be that way, he always offers to help people and we see him carrying Chichi’s bags in one of the movies.

And never spends time with her? They live alone in the woods for decades. Goku goes home every night unless he’s dead.
Goku gets firewood and hunts because it's an opportunity to punch something. He was extremely reluctant to learn how to drive and he clearly conveyed being bored and annoyed with farming, following Chi Chi around while shopping, and, oh I don't know, trying to get Gohan into a good school. He was dead for years and the first thing he wants to do when he comes back (after the literal planet was destroyed) is go live in some remote village and train some kid he met the actual same day.
I don’t see how that takes away from Goku. Like you said, he doesn’t enjoy driving or farming at all. But he clearly does it anyway. It’s called WORK for a reason.

Second of all your points contradict each other. You are saying that shopping with Chichi/farming doesn’t count because Goku doesn’t enjoy it? Yet when I bring up Goku hunting and gathering wood, your response is that it doesn’t count because he DOES enjoy it. So does he need to enjoy doing his errands for it to count or can he do them begrudgingly? Either one should count honestly but we’ve seen Goku do work in both situations.

The Oob thing didn’t happen right after he came back to life. It happened after 10 years of peace.

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:56 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:20 pm He did grow to love her though, will Goku ever be the type to buy chocolate and flowers "just because" FUCK NO, BUT like any husband in order to keep his wife he happy and support his family, he'll often do things he might find boring yet at the same time when it comes to his passion he is head strong (as everyman should be) and part of that is why Chichi stays, she likes him for who he is despite not being ideal (Bulma is like that too btw), Vegeta might be a slap or two better than Goku but that's really not saying much.

EDIT: The problem is that there isn't any real consistency with their interactions with each other, Chi-Chi was head over heals for Goku since day once, Goku doesn't completely understand romance but he does view Chi-Chi as a close friend does he hold her higher than Krillin as far as being a friend? Hard to say, I mean in the anime he has a nightmare about Chi-Chi dying that scares the crap outta him, in Super he has his spaz moment against Zamasu and he often reflects to her individually whenever looking for that last push to keep going but at the same time he mentions never kissing her (highly unnecessary). Ultimately, it depends on your own view I guess, but to say he doesn't care about her is foolish.
10/10 post.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:42 pm

nickzambuto wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:55 pm
I don’t see how that takes away from Goku. Like you said, he doesn’t enjoy driving or farming at all. But he clearly does it anyway. It’s called WORK for a reason.

Second of all your points contradict each other. You are saying that shopping with Chichi/farming doesn’t count because Goku doesn’t enjoy it? Yet when I bring up Goku hunting and gathering wood, your response is that it doesn’t count because he DOES enjoy it. So does he need to enjoy doing his errands for it to count or can he do them begrudgingly? Either one should count honestly but we’ve seen Goku do work in both situations.

The Oob thing didn’t happen right after he came back to life. It happened after 10 years of peace.
No one ever said that Goku never does fatherly/husbandly things or feels fatherly/husbandly feelings. The point is that Goku is not what you would call "attentive" and anyone with some self-respect would be pissed off at his level of family commitment.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:04 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:42 am

From what we can tell, they didn't even have a real wedding in the manga. They were considered married from the moment Chi-Chi accepted his "proposal" at the Tournament.
Wow, I thought their wedding was in the manga, guess that last arc was just filler.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:07 am

Cursed Lemon wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:42 pm
The point is that Goku is not what you would call "attentive" and anyone with some self-respect would be pissed off at his level of family commitment.
What exactly is it that you're looking for? Attentive in what way? Goku's family life or anyone in the cast who has a significant other is in no way a big part of the story. What we can gather from what we see, is that Goku and Vegeta are doing just enough to keep their respective wives happy and interested, what more do you need?

I think its a bit unfair to try to hold any of Dragon Balls main "Romantic" relationships to any sort of real world standards considering that the author himself has said that 1.Romance isn't his strong suit (as we can see) and 2. Goku isn't exactly an ideal family man/Parental figure ( that of which we can also see. )

Besides most of the lovey dovey stuff is kept Off Screen/ Off Panel so do the minute details really matter? Goku & ChiChi love each other as does Vegeta and Bulma as does Krillin and 18 all despite how wacky the circumstances might have been that caused them to become a pair. Lets not forget this is the same story that has a Talking Turtle, Clairvoyant Cat and the main character use to rest his head on his grandads nuts like a pillow just so he can get more comfy and sleep at night.

So to " get Pissed" because we dont see Goku asking Goten "How was School" everyday is kinda silly if i'm being honest here.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:48 am

Goku obviously cares, though the second time he tries to make the deal he does add that Chi-Chi will kill him if he does that to her.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Nodeo-Franvier

Post by Nodeo-Franvier » Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:16 am

ZeroNeonix wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:50 am
Cursed Lemon wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:35 am I'm pretty sure people say he doesn't care about Chi Chi because he's a dense motherfucker who never says "I love you", never helps with household errands, and never spends time with her. He's the Homer Simpson of Dragon Ball except worse. lol
Also, according to Toriyama, romance isn't a common concern for Saiyans. They tend to mate for practical reasons, then stick the baby in a tube so they don't have to spend too much time parenting. Ironically, despite Goku growing up on Earth, Vegeta seems more human in that regard. Then again, Goku did grow up with a hermit and didn't even know what a girl was until one ran him over.

I'm sure Goku cares about Chichi, but I think it's more of a friendship type of thing in his head. I mean, when he agreed to marry Chichi, he didn't even know what marriage was, so it's not like he did it because he couldn't live without her. He barely even visits his granddaughter. If they're not old enough to train, he doesn't know what to do with them. lol

You forgot that he raised Gohan till the beginning of Z which is until Gohan is 4 year old.

And the part that he never kiss his wife is stupid considering that they have two kids together.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:50 am

Nodeo-Franvier wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:16 amYou forgot that he raised Gohan till the beginning of Z which is until Gohan is 4 year old.

And the part that he never kiss his wife is stupid considering that they have two kids together.
You don't have to kiss someone to have children. And your objection is the same one Vegeta gave. lol. The only part of that that doesn't make sense to me is that Chichi has gone this long without demanding to be kissed. But she married an overgrown child, and she knows it.

marumuju
Patreon Supporter

Post by marumuju » Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:09 pm

Goku most likely offered Bulma to old Kaioshin because he had seen that it worked pretty successfully with another old lecher, Muten Roshi, during the first arc. Videl probably came into his mind since she’s about the same age as Bulma was back then. He wasn’t being very thoughtful, but Goku is a bit thoughtless bumpkin, and the whole thing is a thoughtless gag by Toriyama.

Goku and ChiChi's marriage is a bit like from a sit-com where Toriyama satirises family living. I guess he was snickering a whole lot when he added the "no kisses" part to Super, imagining the watchers' perplexed looks. One does imagine that G&CC's understanding of marriage might also be slightly different from the rest of society, with Goku being raised in a forest by a hermit and ChiChi by Ox King next to a mountain that is on fire (and she learnt romance mostly from magazines).

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:03 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:50 am
Nodeo-Franvier wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:16 amYou forgot that he raised Gohan till the beginning of Z which is until Gohan is 4 year old.

You don't have to kiss someone to have children. And your objection is the same one Vegeta gave. lol. The only part of that that doesn't make sense to me is that Chichi has gone this long without demanding to be kissed. But she married an overgrown child, and she knows it.
I guess Goku and Chichi are freaks because they way.they are as charcters and knowing they had sex at least twice I can't imagine how they imitated the sex act.

Kakkaroto735
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kakkaroto735 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:19 pm

miguelnuva1 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:03 pm
ZeroNeonix wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:50 am

I guess Goku and Chichi are freaks because they way.they are as charcters and knowing they had sex at least twice I can't imagine how they imitated the sex act.
I think everyone is forgetting that Goku was taught how to read with Porn mags and it seems very unlikely that Goku doesn't know these things. I think Goku is a pervert tbh.

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:40 pm

Lol, I love showing this scene to people who have never seen the Japanese version of the show or read the manga. It shatters their view of an "innocent" Goku!