DBZ on CN (not Toonami) during ~2008?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

shogunenji

DBZ on CN (not Toonami) during ~2008?

Post by shogunenji » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:24 am

I wanted to look back on some memories I had as a kid, because I oddly remember seeing a run of DBZ during 2008 in like the early mornings.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Re: DBZ on CN (not Toonami) during ~2008?

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:20 pm

I recall when Toonami was airing DBZ again in 2007/2008, as it was the last time the old Z dub aired in re runs and Dragon Ball content in general until Kai's dub started airing on Nicktoons a couple years later. Yes, the last run of the series was on Toonami in that span of time, not CN proper.

Notable things about this airing cycle

- Ran from April 2007 to March 2008, covered from somewhere in the late Freeza/early Androids arc to the start of the Cell Games or shortly after.

- Started shortly after the revamped Toonami along with the maligned TOM 4 plus Flash and D was introduced.

- Ended just short of ten years since Toonami started airing the series (Z debuted there in August 1998 after ending it's syndicated run a few months earlier)

- Even though this airing run was concurrent with the Orange Brick's release, they still continued to use the old dub broadcast tapes thus retaining the Faulconer OP/ED/music placement and Dale Kelly's narration which was replaced by Kyle Herbert later.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:43 pm

Was thw rising sun still a thing? (stopped watching around 2004)

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:48 pm

Ooooooooooooooooh! I love this thread because its about prime time I ask something! What content ratings did these airings have? TV Y7 FV OR PG V?
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:18 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:48 pm Ooooooooooooooooh! I love this thread because its about prime time I ask something! What content ratings did these airings have? TV Y7 FV OR PG V?
TV-Y7 as it always was. It was just the same edited dub they originally aired.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:25 pm

THANK YOU JJGP! You are awesome.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:41 am

eledoremassis02 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:43 pm Was thw rising sun still a thing? (stopped watching around 2004)
Yeah it was, but that still a Toonami thing.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:00 pm

A bit unrelated, but does anyone else remember back in 2006, when the Saban dub was airing on Toonami, despite the fact that the UUE dub had recently aired on Cartoon Network in its entirety?

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:25 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:00 pm A bit unrelated, but does anyone else remember back in 2006, when the Saban dub was airing on Toonami, despite the fact that the UUE dub had recently aired on Cartoon Network in its entirety?
Yeah, what was strange was that Toonami aired the UUE episodes at first, but then starting from Gohan's training they switched to Saban.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:37 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:25 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:00 pm A bit unrelated, but does anyone else remember back in 2006, when the Saban dub was airing on Toonami, despite the fact that the UUE dub had recently aired on Cartoon Network in its entirety?
Yeah, what was strange was that Toonami aired the UUE episodes at first, but then starting from Gohan's training they switched to Saban.
That's really odd, i thought they had stopped airing the Ocean dubbed episodes for that part of the series well before then like around 2002 or so as i can recall seeing when they were being repeated (still have a VHS tape with some of those repeats my dad recorded for me) during a break while the Buu arc was in first run on Toonami at the time. This run in '06 must be one of the more lesser known ones or something because it seems strange they would go from running the Ultimate Uncut redubbed episodes immediately over to the old edited 1996 versions which FUNi was trying to move away from. I mean, that's basically what their aim was.

shogunenji

Post by shogunenji » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:24 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:20 pm I recall when Toonami was airing DBZ again in 2007/2008, as it was the last time the old Z dub aired in re runs and Dragon Ball content in general until Kai's dub started airing on Nicktoons a couple years later. Yes, the last run of the series was on Toonami in that span of time, not CN proper.

- Ran from April 2007 to March 2008, covered from somewhere in the late Freeza/early Androids arc to the start of the Cell Games or shortly after.

- Started shortly after the revamped Toonami along with the maligned TOM 4 plus Flash and D was introduced.

- Ended just short of ten years since Toonami started airing the series (Z debuted there in August 1998 after ending it's syndicated run a few months earlier)

- Even though this airing run was concurrent with the Orange Brick's release, they still continued to use the old dub broadcast tapes thus retaining the Faulconer OP/ED/music placement and Dale Kelly's narration which was replaced by Kyle Herbert later.
thanks for giving me some info really appreciate it i just had this lingering memory where i saw the beginning of the android saga with trunks killing frizea on cn sometime during the day around that time since from what I'm hearing dbz basically had reruns around that time so they would be mostly used to pad out empty spots :wave:

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:58 am

shogunenji wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:24 am
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:20 pm I recall when Toonami was airing DBZ again in 2007/2008, as it was the last time the old Z dub aired in re runs and Dragon Ball content in general until Kai's dub started airing on Nicktoons a couple years later. Yes, the last run of the series was on Toonami in that span of time, not CN proper.

thanks for giving me some info really appreciate it i just had this lingering memory where i saw the beginning of the android saga with trunks killing frizea on cn sometime during the day around that time since from what I'm hearing dbz basically had reruns around that time so they would be mostly used to pad out empty spots :wave:
No problem, i recall watching a good chunk of this last rerun cycle on Toonami myself as it was the last time i saw anything Dragon Ball on TV up until Kai started airing on Nicktoons about two years later. I do recall first catching this run a few months in around mid 2007 or so and this was a surprise to see as the last time i'd watched DBZ on CN prior to that was back when the Ultimate Uncut run of the first 67 episodes/Saiyan and Namek arcs was initially airing on late nights in summer 2005.

Someone actually posted a video they had captured during this run, and it was from mid August 2007 so just a few months after these repeats started airing.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EYiWxGr_wfs

AlexSketchy04
Beyond Newbie

Post by AlexSketchy04 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:54 pm

Saban dub stopped airing around 2002(?

And then replaced the UUC Edition during eary 06 until somewhere in 06...

Kinda weird

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:37 pm

AlexSketchy04 wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:54 pm Saban dub stopped airing around 2002(?

Kinda weird
Yes, it's odd because the whole intention with the Ultimate Uncuts was basically to present those episodes complete and move on from the old edited Ocean version so the jumping back really puzzles me.

Zestanor
Regular

Post by Zestanor » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:28 pm

I always understood it that the redub was an “uncut special edition.” The regular version for Toonami was the old dub. UUSE was unairable on Toonami without painting over spurting blood and content and language edits. And at that point it’s no longer uncut so why bother.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:47 pm

AlexSketchy04 wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:54 pm Saban dub stopped airing around 2002(?

Kinda weird
There actually were reruns of the Saban dub around 2004 as well. I believe it was from when Toonami was marathoning all three Dragon Ball shows at the time.