Garlic Jr Saga: Movie Cut (Complete)

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kakkaroto735
Beyond Newbie

Garlic Jr Saga: Movie Cut (Complete)

Post by Kakkaroto735 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:00 am

Basically my idea was to combine the Garlic Jr mini arc's 9 episode run into an optional movie so people can just watch it alongside Kai or Z if you just don't wanna see all the boring stuff during fights.
- I have added a flashback to Freeza's death at the hands of Goku when the narrator talks about it being 10 months since his death.
- Cut down some of the jokes. Gohan's little adventure in the forest with the tiger and fish is cut and it starts with Krillin saying "That's a nice catch Gohan!" because the whole scene adds little to the actual plot and its just 4 minutes of Gohan's wacky hijinks.
- Vegeta's trip in space looking for Goku is cut because it completely contradicts what actually happened in the manga. While I know this whole arc is filler I'm trying to make it work with people who are watching something like Kai recut to avoid confusion and inconsistencies that come up.
- The whole scene with the gang making jokes at Kame house is cut because it doesn't add much at all and its just Roshi making pervy jokes and stuff.
- The whole fishing section with Krillin and Marron is completely cut and it just goes to Chi Chi driving to Kame House.
- The flashback to the movie Dead Zone is cut from Garlic's arrival on the lookout because its just padding and doesn't add much. This was done by cutting it out and replacing the fade out frames with a few frames of Mr. Popo's lip animation.
- Every scene with Marron at Korin tower is cut because it kills pacing.
- The final episode of the arc is cut because the episode before it has a sense of finality and works better for a movie.
- The next episode preview is for the return of Freeza and Cold.
- The final scene after Piccolo rebels against Garlic and poses for the fight is cut and the shot of Gohan waking up is switched out with the frame from the next episode so that it is more seamless a transition.
edit: jjgp1112 was able to supply me with the Toei logo used in Fusion Reborn and that is now added to the start.
Edit: So... I finished. Much earlier than expected and I will upload it to the cat place. Uses Dragon Box footage and Broadcast audio. If you guys find a bad edit I'm always willing to go back and try to improve it. If anyone has a way to separate the narrator from music than that would be great. All instances of narration have been removed I think. If it isn't then tell me.
Download Link: https://mega.nz/file/CqYjEaoK#ACu5tEOMU ... 0VfBXainnI
Last edited by Kakkaroto735 on Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:21 pm, edited 16 times in total.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Re: Garlic Jr Returns Movie

Post by FoolsGil » Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:46 pm

There's not enough material beyond a supercut.

JewyB
Beyond Newbie

Post by JewyB » Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:04 pm

FoolsGil wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:46 pm There's not enough material beyond a supercut.
Isn't Garlic Jr saga 10 episodes? You could definitely make 10 episodes into a movies worth of content.

EG. Digimon Tri is 6 movies and 26 episodes, so there is definitely enough content.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:13 pm

JewyB wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:04 pm
FoolsGil wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:46 pm There's not enough material beyond a supercut.
Isn't Garlic Jr saga 10 episodes? You could definitely make 10 episodes into a movies worth of content.

EG. Digimon Tri is 6 movies and 26 episodes, so there is definitely enough content.
You're going to compare 26 episodes of D3 to 10 episodes of Garlic jr? Seriously?

JewyB
Beyond Newbie

Post by JewyB » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:20 pm

FoolsGil wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:13 pm

You're going to compare 26 episodes of D3 to 10 episodes of Garlic jr? Seriously?
I am for the sake of saying if you can equate 26 episodes to 6 movies, creating 1 movie from 10 episodes is do-able.

It is a completely reasonable comparison, i am talking specifically about the amount of content available. 10 episodes at roughly 20 minutes(closer to 24 but i'm cutting out 4 minutes for opening and ending restrictions to be fairer to you) works out at 200 minutes, which is about 3.3 hours. Thats enough content for 2 short movies.

So yes i'm going to compare them.

EDIT: Also, if D3 doesn't count, the RoF arc(not including filler) was 8 episodes. Thats 2 episodes less and its directly from Dragon Ball so between the two, i think its easily arguable that 10 episodes is enough content for a movie.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:31 pm

JewyB wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:20 pm

I am for the sake of saying if you can equate 26 episodes to 6 movies, creating 1 movie from 10 episodes is do-able.

It is a completely reasonable comparison, i am talking specifically about the amount of content available. 10 episodes at roughly 20 minutes(closer to 24 but i'm cutting out 4 minutes for opening and ending restrictions to be fairer to you) works out at 200 minutes, which is about 3.3 hours. Thats enough content for 2 short movies.

EDIT: Also, if D3 doesn't count, the RoF arc(not including filler) was 8 episodes. Thats 2 episodes less and its directly from Dragon Ball so between the two, i think its easily arguable that 10 episodes is enough content for a movie.
Just because someone has 200 - 300 minutes of footage, does not mean you can make it into a 90 - 120 minute movie. For one, even the most action packed movie isn't fighting and explosions all the time, And using the filler to break up the monotony is exactly the same mistake Toei did, because the filler ain't that good. hence why at best it should be a supercut.

JewyB
Beyond Newbie

Post by JewyB » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:43 pm

FoolsGil wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:31 pm

Just because someone has 200 - 300 minutes of footage, does not mean you can make it into a 90 - 120 minute movie. For one, even the most action packed movie isn't fighting and explosions all the time, And using the filler to break up the monotony is exactly the same mistake Toei did, because the filler ain't that good. hence why at best it should be a supercut.
I'm not talking about whether or not it would be a good movie, but to argue there isn't enough content to make a movie is illogical. There clearly is enough content, and then that's what editing is for, often films record 3 times the amount of footage with plans to drop most of it and form a cohesive narrative.

Again, not arguing about the quality of how it would turn out, just pointing out that saying you couldn't make a movie out of 200 minutes of footage is just blatantly incorrect, regardless of the quality or cohesiveness of the product that came out. Also, considering the popularity and quality of the Garlic Jr arc, i doubt the goal is to make a great dragon ball movie, just to make a more contained option for people who want to view it as opposed to watching the 10 episodes.

To OP, i think there would be an audience, not sure if i would be a part of it or not, depends on the end product itself, but, i highly doubt there would be no audience for such a thing with people preference for binge-watching, it would be a nice stop gap in the series as opposed to a filler arc, the same way some people watch the non-canon movies on their rewatches(These movies also all having a runtime of less than an hour).

Kakkaroto735
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kakkaroto735 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:25 am

JewyB wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:43 pm
FoolsGil wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:31 pm

I'm not talking about whether or not it would be a good movie, but to argue there isn't enough content to make a movie is illogical. There clearly is enough content, and then that's what editing is for, often films record 3 times the amount of footage with plans to drop most of it and form a cohesive narrative.

Again, not arguing about the quality of how it would turn out, just pointing out that saying you couldn't make a movie out of 200 minutes of footage is just blatantly incorrect, regardless of the quality or cohesiveness of the product that came out. Also, considering the popularity and quality of the Garlic Jr arc, i doubt the goal is to make a great dragon ball movie, just to make a more contained option for people who want to view it as opposed to watching the 10 episodes.

To OP, i think there would be an audience, not sure if i would be a part of it or not, depends on the end product itself, but, i highly doubt there would be no audience for such a thing with people preference for binge-watching, it would be a nice stop gap in the series as opposed to a filler arc, the same way some people watch the non-canon movies on their rewatches(These movies also all having a runtime of less than an hour).
I might as well just make it and leave it here

Kakkaroto735
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kakkaroto735 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:16 pm

Well I have wrapped up the majority of the movie cut the only thing left is inserting the Toei Animation Logos from the other movies in. I need a 4:3 version of it though. Though I could just use the parody waves and rocks intro from the Cell reenactment :lol:. We'll see. I know most people won't really see a use for this but for the people who do. This is a strictly Japanese release at least until more people care about this little project of mine.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:18 am

Kakkaroto735 wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:16 pm Well I have wrapped up the majority of the movie cut the only thing left is inserting the Toei Animation Logos from the other movies in. I need a 4:3 version of it though. Though I could just use the parody waves and rocks intro from the Cell reenactment :lol:. We'll see. I know most people won't really see a use for this but for the people who do. This is a strictly Japanese release at least until more people care about this little project of mine.
I hope you use original broadcast audio and that you do this to other filler arcs cut in z.

Kakkaroto735
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kakkaroto735 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:54 am

sangofe wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:18 am
Kakkaroto735 wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:16 pm Well I have wrapped up the majority of the movie cut the only thing left is inserting the Toei Animation Logos from the other movies in. I need a 4:3 version of it though. Though I could just use the parody waves and rocks intro from the Cell reenactment :lol:. We'll see. I know most people won't really see a use for this but for the people who do. This is a strictly Japanese release at least until more people care about this little project of mine.
I hope you use original broadcast audio and that you do this to other filler arcs cut in z.
I'm using the Mono Tokai Broadcast Audio for all these episodes but I have school stuff so I will probably release it sometime between October 12th and October 20th.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Garlic Jr Saga: Movie Cut (80% WIP )

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:40 am

If I still have my Movie 1, 8, 9, 10, 12, and 13 DVDs I might be able to help you.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Kakkaroto735
Beyond Newbie

Re: Garlic Jr Saga: Movie Cut (80% WIP )

Post by Kakkaroto735 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:55 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:40 am If I still have my Movie 1, 8, 9, 10, 12, and 13 DVDs I might be able to help you.
That would be great. I'm not exactly a pro at this but it's coming along nicely and the logo would make it way better.

Kakkaroto735
Beyond Newbie

Re: Garlic Jr Saga: Movie Cut (Complete)

Post by Kakkaroto735 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:25 pm

Seeding it rn

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:29 am

You ever provide a link to this? or post it somewhere online?

Kakkaroto735
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kakkaroto735 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:22 am

FoolsGil wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:29 am You ever provide a link to this? or post it somewhere online?
It's on the same place as DBRecut. I already wrote it but it keeps deleting so I think mentioning the site is not allowed and it just auto deletes posts. But yeah.