Super or GT poll

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

Re: Super or GT poll

Post by precita » Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:07 pm

If GT ended with the Baby arc I think it would have been viewed a bit more favorably. The first 15-20 or whatever episodes with the trio in space were rather slow and boring episodes, but the Baby arc is probably the only decent arc GT has. It gave Goku his new transformation and had Uub help out and defeated the main villain.

The Super 17 arc just ruined 17 himself and was nonsensical, and while the Shadow Dragon stuff was a great concept/idea it was just executed rather poorly and blandly. Like why didn't they use this time to have all the other main characters fight the other Dragons instead of Goku each and every time?

They could have had GT end the same way with Goku and the Dragonballs going away with the conclusion of the Baby arc.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:12 am

precita wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:07 pmWhy didn't they use this time to have all the other main characters fight the other Dragons instead of Goku each and every time?
They thought kids couldn't handle anyone other than Goku being on screen for too long. They actually said this in an interview.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:52 am

Matches Malone wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:12 am
precita wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:07 pmWhy didn't they use this time to have all the other main characters fight the other Dragons instead of Goku each and every time?
They thought kids couldn't handle anyone other than Goku being on screen for too long. They actually said this in an interview.
Sadly they probably think the same with Super as well. It's very strange since DBZ went long stretches with Goku barely doing anything or being off-screen for dozens of episodes at a time. Considering the same audience was watching from then to right after, it's bizarre they though Goku had to be on-screen 100% of the time.

As I said before, when you rewatch DBZ it's actually pretty funny when you stop to realize how little screentime the main character gets. Aside from Goku/Freeza on Namek, Goku's fights in DBZ are usually very short and then he's out of commission or barely doing anything most of the other time.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:59 am

precita wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:52 amSadly they probably think the same with Super as well. It's very strange since DBZ went long stretches with Goku barely doing anything or being off-screen for dozens of episodes at a time. Considering the same audience was watching from then to right after, it's bizarre they though Goku had to be on-screen 100% of the time.
They said in the same interview that the reason a lot of filler focused on Goku was to keep kids interested during the parts he wasn't there. Extended training on the way to Namek, leaving the hospital to train, etc... They probably believe the same for Super as you said, but at least they're willing to let others do things like Vegeta.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:57 am

I'm glad they went back to Goku getting the bulk of the screen time. The DBZ formula of taking Goku out early and having come back for the big end fight had worn thin.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:51 am

Matches Malone wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:10 amI think you're right overall, although it would be interesting to see how it'd fair if it didn't have Toriyama's name attached to it.
BoG might've been a standalone movie without Toriyama. I'm not sure how well it would've done or the budget if he wasn't involved. The last three One Piece movies which were written by Oda seemed to have a higher budget and longer than previous OP movies. Modern DB starting with BoG is the longest anime revival that I'm aware of. Usually they're only an anniversary movie or short series but not several movies and +100 episode anime if the original author isn't involved.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:22 am

Skar wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:51 amBoG might've been a standalone movie without Toriyama.
BOG was still made as a standalone even with Toriyama. The movie was released in March of 2013, but the decision to continue with further content wasn't made until the end of that year at the earliest, at least if Toriyama's to be believed. In an interview from late 2013, Toriyama wasn't approached to work on anything else, and didn't know if there'd be further content. A producer on the movie(s) said that a decision to move on with a sequel wasn't made until awhile after BOG's box office results were in. It seems like the idea of BOG being the start of a full revival wasn't made until far after the movie released, rather than it being the plan all along. If I remember correctly, the movie was being promoted as "an episode between Z & GT", something that makes 0 sense now.

Kakkaroto735
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kakkaroto735 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:04 am

Super really pisses me off much more with its bad parts than GT. GT is very much like a movie side story and despite it's bad fights and lack of tension, it has its nice bits and I am glad that it exists and to me it's a nice side dish. GT at its worst is pretty bad, while Super at its worst is much worse. Super also forces itself into Dragon Ball much more an it does much more damage to the series than anything GT could have made as an hours long filler series that was creepy around kids.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:35 pm

The only thing that kinda bothers me about Super is the power scaling stuff regarding Blue, but I kinda turn my brain off regarding that at this point. They probably should not have made Super Saiyan God/Blue so much more powerful than Boo-era power levels to begin with, but it is what it is. I also kinda ignore the movie adaption episodes and just watch the movies in their place, and just skim through some of the added scenes in the anime version like Ginyu coming back to see how it was handled differently in the show.

The Universe 6 tournament was also pretty average until the latter half with the Magetta/Cabba and Hit fights. I think it proves a straightforward tournament in Dragonball doesn't really work at this point, so I'm glad they changed the set-up. I probably would have liked it more if Boo entered and fought Botamo like it seemed planned originally, and then got knocked out after instead of sleeping the whole way through. On the other hand the U6 tournament was also clearly set-up and foreshadowing for the Tournament of Power, so it makes sense we got to see one universe introduced early especially with Champa and it being a twin to U7 and all.

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:58 am

I'll assume you mean Super anime and vote GT. Even when DBS ideas are good, the anime execution just makes it awful; while I found GT mostly boring and sometimes enjoyable

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:41 pm

didn't know this was such a big split. Was genuinely surprised

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:59 pm

strawpolls can be easily hacked or people can vote under multiple ip's (like if you vote on your home computer and then again on your cell phone, it'll count both for example)

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:35 pm

precita wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:59 pm strawpolls can be easily hacked or people can vote under multiple ip's (like if you vote on your home computer and then again on your cell phone, it'll count both for example)
Who would care enough to do that though?
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:33 pm

For me, the Dragon Ball story ended with GT. Everything else has just been bonus content for me.

GT just feels more like a natural continuation of the Z anime. I just wish it had gone on for as long as Super did.

Super feels like a standalone corporate product. It has some fun fights, but ultimately doesn't jive with that original run in my mind.
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:03 pm

Tylerman29 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:33 pm For me, the Dragon Ball story ended with GT. Everything else has just been bonus content for me.

GT just feels more like a natural continuation of the Z anime. I just wish it had gone on for as long as Super did.

Super feels like a standalone corporate product. It has some fun fights, but ultimately doesn't jive with that original run in my mind.
GT bares little resemblence to the tone and feel of Dragon Ball. It's a bland approximation. Super is like every other series revival, a shell of its former self.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:56 am

Tylerman29 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:33 pmGT just feels more like a natural continuation of the Z anime. I just wish it had gone on for as long as Super did.
GT may have been shorter, but I feel that it accomplished more than Super did, despite being half its length. Although Super was 131 episodes long, 110 of those were wasted on movie retellings, tournaments, and filler episodes. If that's what would've happened with a hypothetical 131 episode run of GT, then I'd rather keep it at 65.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:14 pm

The tournaments weren't a waste. What did you want out of Super?

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:25 pm

Sagas with stories. Characters with their personalities, development and designs in check. Time flowing smoothly, also reflected by the characters' appearances. Better usage of the Multiverse concept. Less nostalgia. Better fanservice. Stuff from interviews implemented into the series. Quality.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:40 pm

Grimlock wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:25 pm Sagas with stories. Characters with their personalities, development and designs in check. Time flowing smoothly, also reflected by the characters' appearances. Better usage of the Multiverse concept. Less nostalgia. Better fanservice. Stuff from interviews implemented into the series. Quality.
They did tell stories

Time flowing smoothly? WTF?!

Better use of the multiverse is vague.

No such thing as better fanservice. Also, fanservice is based in nostalgia. So which is it?

What stuff implemented from interviews.

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:46 pm

ABED wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:03 pm GT bares little resemblence to the tone and feel of Dragon Ball. It's a bland approximation. Super is like every other series revival, a shell of its former self.
Weird. I dont agree about GT at all. It feels very much like Dragon Ball to me. Especially Toei's version of what Dragon Ball is.
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.