"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Matches Malone
Banned

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:04 pm

Jinto wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:02 pm Yeah ! Worst case scenario is Zeno pulling a "now we have more universe si let's make an even bigger ToP" :lolno:
I expect the next tournament to be between a team that includes fighters from the 8 universes that took part in the TOP against the 4 universes we haven't seen yet. We could get a team of Goku, Vegeta, Hit, Toppo, Jiren, etc...

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:08 pm

Some crazy stuff going on in this chapter.
If they'll animate Earth Moro and this battle one day, there more than probably will be some CGI-enhancement involved.
I guess it's possible to animate in full 2D, but it's pretty difficult and i doubt it will be done completely that way.
The recent trend within TOEI starts to shift towards hybrid (fe DQ) anyways.

Block88
Beyond Newbie

Post by Block88 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:24 pm

Man thank god this shut over can we actually get an interesting villain that won’t end up being a bore

Jinto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jinto » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:48 pm

I'm glad Vegeta's spirit fission technique was not a waste, I really hope he uses it more in the future so it won't become a throw away one time technique.
I'm also hoping for Goku to somehow integrate IT into MUI since MUI seems to be a " spontaneous focus state" and IT biggest weakness is the time needed to focus.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:52 pm

It's strange but I somehow get the feeling that DBS may not continue past EoZ? This chapter already feels like the perfect climax, and what we're getting next is presumably a finisher with top strongest characters being involved.

Feels like the "Super" brand is tied to the post-Buu pre-EoZ period.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:04 pm

Xeogran wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:52 pm It's strange but I somehow get the feeling that DBS may not continue past EoZ? This chapter already feels like the perfect climax, and what we're getting next is presumably a finisher with top strongest characters being involved.

Toyotaro and Toriyama might also be teasing him with a reason in order to make further use of him later (character arc after EOZ?).

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:07 pm

Xeogran wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:52 pmI somehow get the feeling that DBS may not continue past EoZ?
I thought that as well, but after seeing how important of a role Uub played in taking down Moro, I think they're now laying the groundwork for post EOZ stories with Uub.

Thani
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Thani » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:13 pm

Xeogran wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:52 pm It's strange but I somehow get the feeling that DBS may not continue past EoZ? This chapter already feels like the perfect climax, and what we're getting next is presumably a finisher with top strongest characters being involved.

Idk, as far as final villains go, Moro to me felt pretty... meh? Sure the ending is climatic, but still, if I'm being honest, I thought the ToP itself served better as an ending to the "Super" phase.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:17 pm

Thani wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:13 pm

Idk, as far as final villains go, Moro to me felt pretty... meh? Sure the ending is climatic, but still, if I'm being honest, I thought the ToP itself served better as an ending to the "Super" phase.
Moro is the typical Dragon Ball villain. Trash motivations, non-existent backstory, no philosophy or ulterior ideal at all. He doesn't even have an entertaining personality like Frieza and Cell.

That's why Hearts should be canonized and become the final villain of Super. He has an actual reason for being "evil", he has compelling motivations, his philosophy is that no one, mortal or God, should have the power to erase all of existence in seconds.

Or just bring back fucking Zamasu. If these writers can't come up with new, complex, three-dimensional villains, they can just recycle him. Unsurprisingly, I won't object to that.
Last edited by SupremeKai25 on Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:18 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:07 pm I thought that as well, but after seeing how important of a role Uub played in taking down Moro, I think they're now laying the groundwork for post EOZ stories with Uub.
I think it's more like tying loose ends and answering people's question as to why Goku thinks of Uub as an important student, because Z never really got into detail with it.

What we may get next are perhaps Character Gaidens, a separate short stories for some of the new gen characters? Many popular shonen are doing this thing recently.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:22 pm

Xeogran wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:18 pm What we may get next are perhaps Character Gaidens, a separate short stories for some of the new gen characters? Many popular shonen are doing this thing recently.
We're definitely getting major arcs following Moro, as there are too many open plots yet to be resolved, such as Freeza being alive and up to no good.

Ziegander
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ziegander » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:42 pm

Xeogran wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:18 pm
Matches Malone wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:07 pm I thought that as well, but after seeing how important of a role Uub played in taking down Moro, I think they're now laying the groundwork for post EOZ stories with Uub.
I think it's more like tying loose ends and answering people's question as to why Goku thinks of Uub as an important student, because Z never really got into detail with it.

What we may get next are perhaps Character Gaidens, a separate short stories for some of the new gen characters? Many popular shonen are doing this thing recently.
IIRC wasn't there some noise about the dragon room floating the idea of a separate Gohan and Piccolo manga?
My Full Rewrite of the Moro Arc

I've begun a full-scale re-write of the Tournament of Power! Here's Ch. 1, here's Ch.
, and here's Ch.
3!

Jinto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jinto » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:52 pm

Complaining about poor motivation for villain is a really invalid criticism in a world like Dragon ball.
As nothing can really be portrayed in a bad light (apart from the dragon ball...sometimes...that one time)

It's all about consistency with the worldbuilding and DB excel in it.
They tried with Jiren and Zamasu but...Ugh :sick:
DB is all about the lightness, black and white, simplicity.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:54 pm

Ziegander wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:42 pm IIRC wasn't there some noise about the dragon room floating the idea of a separate Gohan and Piccolo manga?
If I remember correctly, they said they wanted to use both of them more, but it was Toriyama's decision in the end.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:10 pm

Jinto wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:52 pm Complaining about poor motivation for villain is a really invalid criticism in a world like Dragon ball.
As nothing can really be portrayed in a bad light (apart from the dragon ball...sometimes...that one time)

Yes, now can this franchise evolve so that MAIN villains can have deeper motivations than just "Hello, I am an evil goat, all I want is to eat people because I am evil, come defeat me heroes as I am clearly an evil monster"?

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:16 pm

It seems like everyone that has been a part of this arc has a role to play. Vegeta used forced spirit fission, Piccolo came up with the idea, It was Jaco’s idea to get the Grande Supreme Kai’s help, The Grand Supreme Kai found Uub and helped him send his power.

Jinto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jinto » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:47 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:10 pm
Jinto wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:52 pm Complaining about poor motivation for villain is a really invalid criticism in a world like Dragon ball.

Yes, now can this franchise evolve so that MAIN villains can have deeper motivations than just "Hello, I am an evil goat, all I want is to eat people because I am evil, come defeat me heroes as I am clearly an evil monster"?
That's the problem, "deeper motivation", unless the writer (Toyotaro or Toriyama) pulls a 180° and changes how he writes dragon ball then "deeper motivation" will be a dream.

It's not the execution that made Jiren or Zamasu "flop", it's that there was truly nothing to really complain about in DB universe so their "motivation" were reduced to obnoxious rant.
Hence why Zamasu's "ningen" was reduced to a meme and yet I remember that he made multiple good point about human condition and how he didn't want to destroy nature but just the sentient life form.

Or Jiren, with his takes on the importance of power over everything and how deeply traumatized he was by his master's death. It got reduced to some crybaby rant by the community.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:08 pm

Jinto wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:47 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:10 pm

That's the problem, "deeper motivation", unless the writer (Toyotaro or Toriyama) pulls a 180° and changes how he writes dragon ball then "deeper motivation" will be a dream.

It's not the execution that made Jiren or Zamasu "flop", it's that there was truly nothing to really complain about in DB universe so their "motivation" were reduced to obnoxious rant.
Hence why Zamasu's "ningen" was reduced to a meme and yet I remember that he made multiple good point about human condition and how he didn't want to destroy nature but just the sentient life form.

Or Jiren, with his takes on the importance of power over everything and how deeply traumatized he was by his master's death. It got reduced to some crybaby rant by the community.
I don't see how Zamasu flopped. Jiren, I can see, but not Zamasu. In fact, I watched a video yesterday about the most popular anime villains (i.e. most searched on google) from 2004 to 2020, and Goku Black has consistently been one of the most popular anime villains by far since 2016. He as a character very clearly generated a lot of interest and internet traffic around Dragon Ball. A "flop" villain doesn't do that. It wouldn't even surprise me if Zamasu or Goku Black were brought back for a future movie, as the writers are driven by popularity. If they see that a character is very popular, they will exploit that popularity. I'll link the video if you want: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWzpRrA7NAY

The fact that Black, who was introduced only 4 years ago (and his last appearance was also 4 years ago), has as many (if not more) google searches as Frieza and Cell (who have been around for DECADES) is crazy, isn't it?

If people want to reduce Zamasu to a meme character, that's their problem. With Zamasu and Hearts, the writers showed that they want more ambitious villains, that they want villains we can relate to, or anyway we can understand why they are committing villainous acts. In good storytelling, the villain is merely the hero of their own story.

This Moro guy would be more interesting if we knew... ANYTHING about him, really. Why does he have the ability to eat planets? Why did he start eating planets? Is that ability unique to him or to his species as a whole? In fact, why aren't there any other goat people like him? Also, why does he despise life so much? Did something happen to him when he was young that made him hate the creations of the Gods?

Let me remind you that he is the MAIN VILLAIN of the arc. The fact that the main villain has such generic motivations and non-existent background is serious.

AndLad92

Post by AndLad92 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:35 pm

Where is everyone reading the chapter, before it's officially released?
As a big fan of Dragon Ball, I should be expected to hate the live action movie "Dragon Ball: Evolution", but I don't. I don't like it because of the content, but because it gave us Dragon Ball Super:

"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super.

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:38 pm

AndLad92 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:35 pmWhere is everyone reading the chapter?
Leaked pages and plot summaries circulating on Twitter, I believe. Pretty sure no-one here has actually read the whole thing yet.